Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Looking at the Donegal Down game and the ability of their players to shoot under pressure is most worrying, even yesterday Kildare were afraid to shoot in normal time from outside 35 yards even when unmarked.

Connolly

Kelly McGrillen Lyons

O Flaherty

Doyle Bolton

Foley White

Callaghan O Neill

O Flaherty Doyle

Johnson Smith

I took O Connor out purely because he is a marked man from now out and will be ineffective in most matches unfortunately, perhaps he could be use as an alternative for midfield? dont know if he has played there in the past? Alan Smith is one of the few players who has confidence in sight of goal so i would be unwilling to drop him. I thought Conway failed to pressurize Limerick on the counter and I think O neill is a better option overall- not afraid of shooting,a midfield option and a pure workhorse!.Chalky in the middle is a bit of a risk but is a more physical presence than Rob Kelly. The sooner we have Lynch or Flynn back the better tho! will be a much more settled team but you would have to worry about lack of gametime for both...
    Any feedback on what people think of this team is appreciated !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Whats the story with Earley's fitness? How much of a championship game is he capable of playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

full_irish wrote: »
    Whats the story with Earley's fitness? How much of a championship game is he capable of playing?
    20 minutes tops I'd imagine, he hasn't got the legs for it anymore after all those injuries. And midfield is one position where players have to be 100% fit.

So its Kildare v Sligo in Hyde Park Roscommon on Saturday at 6.30pm.

The hyde has a wider pitch than Croker so I think that will suit our lads, hopefully I'll make this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

According to kildare sources the match to be played in Dr. hyde park has been appealed and only right! Sligo played their last game there only two weeks ago. Breffni park was said to be unfair to sligo as we played their two weeks ago but this for some reason does not apply to them. Clones would be another option and i hope it is seriously considered by the cccc in the interest of fairness. It is in the ulster and has the capacity to hold the crowds expected.

• Advertisement

According to kildare sources the match to be played in Dr. hyde park has been appealed and only right! Sligo played their last game there only two weeks ago. Breffni park was said to be unfair to sligo as we played their two weeks ago but this for some reason does not apply to them. Clones would be another option and i hope it is seriously considered by the cccc in the interest of fairness. It is in the ulster and has the capacity to hold the crowds expected.
    Yeah I heard that too, although I think it will fall on deaf ears. Breffni Park would have been the sensible place to have the game but as we know the GAA and sense don't mix well.

What's worse is Meath's David Coldrick has been appointed to ref it, remember Donegal last year?

Imagine the outcry if the Dubs were dragged out of Croker all the way to Roscommon to play Sligo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭lilywhites28

Oh you wouldnt see it. The outcry would be phenomenal. Your probably right but i do hope the cccc take it into considertion wouldnt bet on it though. Cant understand how the came to the conclusion that Dr. Hyde park would be the best venue to hold it. They can wrap it up all they want and say it is a netural venue. You know aswell as i do that its unfair on kildare and their fans as sligo just played two weeks ago in the same venue and are been asked to travel to connacht.Sligos next door neighbour. There familar with it. There is no denying that as it's in connacht. It's only fair its out of leinster and connacht so let it be in ulster and be in clones. Coldrick well what can i say i seen that one coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I think most of ye (and Kildare's board if the above is correct) need to take a look at a map.

Roscommon town is 1hr 20m from Sligo City. It's only 1hr 50m to Roscommon town from Newbridge (which is very much of the far side of County Kildare) - the motorway into Athlone brings you most of the way double-quick, even on match-days.

The ground isn't even worth discussion; it was the right choice and it's plenty fair to both teams. Sligo last played at the Hyde before Sunday week was 2007 - that includes championship and league.

The last time ye did? 2007.

There's a half hour in the difference.

Croke Park have said that Breffni park would not be suitable as Kildare played there 2 weeks ago. Then why is it irrelevant that sligo played in Dr hyde Park only two weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

As a Kildare fan the amount of complaining that has gone on as of late is embarassing, the ground is in no way an advantage to Sligo as a previous supporter has shown.Although we have been unlucky with decisions in the past I believe some are becoming over paranoid. One way we can swing the advantage our way if you still feel its unfair is by attending the game in as big as numbers as we can and get the lads over the line like we did last week in Portlaoise!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Lads, would ye stop your moaning about trivial decisions. You're coming across as a bunch of whiney $%&*@'s.

1) Moving it from St Conleths was the right decision as its not big enough.
    2) Well Dublin have won Leinster so that's not an issue here. (And why would the GAA send them to a smaller venue when they will fill Croker? 80% of money earned is reinvested so the more money we can get in the better.
    3) Its a neutral venue and roughly halfway between Sligo and Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If Kildare are as good as they think they are then it won't matter where it's played will it.The petty admont of posts here complaining about the dubs/the venue/the ref/the gaa. FFS. Yis are a giving people a great incentive to support the sligo team with all yer moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

The whining by fellow Kildare fans is embarrassing,almost as embarrassing as not having a county ground worthy of holding a run of the mill qualifier and having to travel to a neighbouring county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Yeah I heard that too, although I think it will fall on deaf ears. Breffni Park would have been the sensible place to have the game but as we know the GAA and sense don't mix well.

What's worse is Meath's David Coldrick has been appointed to ref it, remember Donegal last year?

Imagine the outcry if the Dubs were dragged out of Croker all the way to Roscommon to play Sligo.

Seriously, you have to drag everything off topic with your agenda against Dublin even though you are playing Sligo in a 4 round qualifier. If you continue to do this, I will have no choice but to infract you or ban you for atime so that the penny will drop eventually I hope.

Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Diego why drag Dublin into this?? Silly having back up against the dubs?

No matter what happens we are deservedly in qualifiers because of a terrible display against Meath!!

Qualifiers are and will continue to be games teams have to travel to that is a definite!!!

All the bitching here re where we play Sligo is pathetic tbh let's concentrate in getting behind the team and supporting them instead of being ****ing dramatic in the forums!!!

CILL DARA ABÚ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Who are the injury doubts for Kildare heading into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Breffni Park isn't available.

As I said on the qualifier thread, the Cavan championship starts on Wednesday night and there are games in Breffni from then through until Sunday, with two games on Saturday and Sunday.

Also, Dublin played in the qualifiers in 2004 and played Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon and Longford in O'Moore Park in Portloaise.

From your previous posts though, most of us know you aren't interested in dealing with the actual FACT of matters. Fiction seems to be more your thing.

Oh you wouldnt see it. The outcry would be phenomenal. Your probably right but i do hope the cccc take it into considertion wouldnt bet on it though. Cant understand how the came to the conclusion that Dr. Hyde park would be the best venue to hold it. They can wrap it up all they want and say it is a netural venue. You know aswell as i do that its unfair on kildare and their fans as sligo just played two weeks ago in the same venue and are been asked to travel to connacht.Sligos next door neighbour. There familar with it. There is no denying that as it's in connacht. It's only fair its out of leinster and connacht so let it be in ulster and be in clones. Coldrick well what can i say i seen that one coming....

Hyde Park is 1 hour 50 minutes from Newbridge.
    It's 1 hour 20 minutes from Sligo.

Clones is 2 hours 22 minutes from Newbridge.
    It's 1 hour 41 minutes from Sligo.

So you'd prefer to put 20 minutes extra travelling on Sligo supporters and 30 minutes travelling on your own? Just because Sligo have played one game there since 2007 and it happened to be last week.

If that's the way economics are done in Kildare, it's no wonder ye are in debt!

*apologies for the last part but I couldn't resist the dig

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Last year at this stage Kildare played Derry in Croke Park. The year before at the same stage again, ye played Monaghan in Croke Park. Strange that there were no complaints from any Kildare fans whatsoever about the venue in these instances not being neutral.
    As Lemlin has said, Breffni is unavailable this weekend. Mullingar is being used and is too small anyway. Pearse Park is also too small. Clones would just be more distance to travel for both sets of fans involved. So where else could it have been held?
    Roscommon is as close if not closer to several places in Kildare than certain places in Sligo. At the end of the day, if you're good enough to win, it won't matter where the game is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

I think the objection is a bit ridiculous to be honest. It must be driven by Geezer because I doubt very much the county board would have done a solo run on this without checking it out with the team management. I would have thought we have enough to focus on given that we were nearly dumped out of the championship last weekend. The objection won't achieve anything other than add to the "us against the world" complex that we seem to have developed with another decision of the big bad wolf CCCC going against us. As has been said if we're good enough, the venue won't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

I think McGeaney is the driving factor here in the revolt against the venue.It won't do them any favours when it comes to them being knocked out as a lot of people outside of Kildare will be happy to see them leave the championship.

Standing back and looking at the situation and without disrespect, I feel sorry for a lot of their fans who are only interested in getting behind the team and have no preconceptions.

blackbelt wrote: »
    I think McGeaney is the driving factor here in the revolt against the venue.It won't do them any favours when it comes to them being knocked out as a lot of people outside of Kildare will be happy to see them leave the championship.

Standing back and looking at the situation and without disrespect, I feel sorry for a lot of their fans who are only interested in getting behind the team and have no preconceptions.

I'd agree. It's getting beyond a joke at this stage. At every turn, Kildare are claiming another conspiracy against them. Even the choice of a venue for games is a problem now.

Perhaps McGeeney thinks, like many thought Jose Mourinho did, that deflecting attention away from the team towards himself and other factors, will help them, but its not working.

Kildare are quickly becoming one of the most disliked teams in the country. I was even getting messages of support from Monaghan people ahead of the game two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Awesome how everyone is taking as gospel the suggestion that this objection is 100% McGeeney's doing despite a complete lack of evidence at the same time they're accusing the team of having a persecution complex!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭musicmania

Appeal was rejected. We need to forget this and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Claonadh1

keane2097 wrote: »
    Awesome how everyone is taking as gospel the suggestion that this objection is 100% McGeeney's doing despite a complete lack of evidence at the same time they're accusing the team of having a persecution complex!

Do you honestly think the county board would object to something without being sure beforehand that McGeeney was of the same view?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Claonadh1 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think the county board would object to something without being sure beforehand that McGeeney was of the same view?

Yes. If you think county boards go running to team managers with stuff like this you're misguided. This is an admin issue 100%, would be beyond surprised if the KCB consulted McGeeney before making this decision. A courtesy call to let him know they were doing it would be about the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Kildare GAA has been ridiculous over the last few years when it comes to stuck like this. This whole "Oh woe is me, cheated out of it again" attitude is getting rather tiresome, isn't it? People seem to forget that we almost lost to a Limerick team we were heavy favourites against just a few days ago. Now we're making scapegoats just incase we lose this one. I find myself hoping Kildare will win this weekend more than usual, just so we won't get the idiots saying, "oh yeah, the GAA screwed us over by making us go all the way to Roscommon" (which is the same distance, more or less, as Sligo from Kildare). God only knows what would have happened if Kildare were playing in the Leinster final and O'Gara's point was given against us. Within an hour we would be appealing to the GAA claiming that if that point wasn't given, we would have had to momentum and scored another four goals after that.

The bias part of me wants to say it's McGeeney leading these complaints but I will cautiously step back from that. What I will say is that this whinning has gotten very bad over the last few years of his reign. The sooner that man is gone, the happier I'll be
    keane2097 wrote: »
    Yes. If you think county boards go running to team managers with stuff like this you're misguided. This is an admin issue 100%, would be beyond surprised if the KCB consulted McGeeney before making this decision. A courtesy call to let him know they were doing it would be about the height of it.

This is the same man who spent a huge amount of money of a financially stricken board to pay for a needless pre-season training camp in Portugal and forced the players to pay for their own travel expenses or risk being dropped, while claiming to the Kildare "media" that this would not be a holiday. I'm suprised he doesn't have a seat on the county board already

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'd agree. It's getting beyond a joke at this stage. At every turn, Kildare are claiming another conspiracy against them. Even the choice of a venue for games is a problem now.

Perhaps McGeeney thinks, like many thought Jose Mourinho did, that deflecting attention away from the team towards himself and other factors, will help them, but its not working.

Kildare are quickly becoming one of the most disliked teams in the country. I was even getting messages of support from Monaghan people ahead of the game two weeks ago.

You were getting messages of support from Monaghan fans??? Were
    You playing lemlin? Or just general support? I ask out of interest!!!

As for Kildare becoming a hated
    Team it's because of likes of you preaching **** about Kildare at every stage this year!!

Few points and qs I wanted to put out there!!

1. Kildares debts are no concern to you.

2. A certain element are moaning about conspiracy **** not Kildare fans general as you seem to be generalising the county fans!

3. I have friends in nearly all counties or associates and nobody has said while I was discussing football with them that Kildare were a hated or becoming a hated team! ( I think you have your views of Kildare and you can have them but why spill poison here)??

4. No matter how badly Kildare have played in championship we are still there!

5. I know a lot of Kildare fans actually love travelling to games including myself in that one btw!!

6. Can you not let your grievances go??

7. Johnston is a great player what the hell were Cavan at messing him around as in dropping him from squad??

But have to say something IF Kildare hit form they are gonna be a team nobody will want to get but Jesus of they don't improve I fear running into a better team tbh!!

I have to say I'm a relaxed person but the **** surrounding our lads this year is terrible. Kildare are just regular joes that love playing ball they don't deserve to be hated why would they be hated?? Media haven't helped or Johnston transfer but it's bull**** to call Kildare hated and anyone that says we hate Kildare are not fans they are <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd be interested to know who did start all this fuss about Hyde Park because it was a silly objection. Seems much ado about nothing really.

As to the game itself, I think Sligo will put it up to ye and Kildare will need to play better than they did last Saturday to get over this one. Sligo have become a difficult team to beat and with a little bit more compsure in the last 10 minutes they would have won the Connaught Final.

They're tough and physical and in Kelly and Marren they have inside forwards who can trouble any defence. I'd fancy Kildare to win but this is one of the trickier draws ye could have got.

• Advertisement

Listening to KFM earlier!!! The ****ing moaning from people re where the match is being played is doing my head in!!!!!!!!!

Seriously some people are never happy!! Sligo isn't gonna be an easy game do we really need all this ****te before a big game!!!

I swear if I hear should be played in Tullamore once more I will decapitate some moaning bastard!!!!

:D

Advertisement