Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet shopping versus the high street.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Don't talk about people with a "chip on your shoulder", or "amazed if you can walk in a straight line".

I have no side at all in that argument, but it seems to me like he was trying to have a legitimate discussion and you started to personalize it and attack his character. He was talking about the discussion, you were making comments about him personally saying "oh you must be this", "obviously you're that", you have no idea about him.

What you're saying is totally plausible, however in this case that guy really does have a large bag of oven chips attached to his shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have no side at all in that argument, but it seems to me like he was trying to have a legitimate discussion and you started to personalize it and attack his character.
    So, you missed the bit where he accused another poster of being a ' "British Isles" unionist ' then? If that's "legitimate discussion", then I think I missed a meeting somewhere. It was also totally off-topic, so congratulations to all of you, haters of anything vaguely "British"-sounding, for derailing yet another AH thread. Are you sure your keyboards are set up correctly? Looks to me like you're typing in "English", after all ... :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

No it's not.

In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street". I would have assumed that was an Americanism. And a quick look on Google shows High Streets in Dublin, Cork City and Galway City, but Main Street is only in Cork (there is a Main Street in Dublin but not in the city centre).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

dpe wrote: »
    In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street". I would have assumed that was an Americanism. And a quick look on Google shows High Streets in Dublin, Cork City and Galway City, but Main Street is only in Cork (there is a Main Street in Dublin but not in the city centre).

It can be used as a generic term for a towns shopping areas I would have thought.

kneemos wrote: »
    It can be used as a generic term for a towns shopping areas I would have thought.

I'm sure it could, but certain people seem to be contending that "High Street" = "evil Brit cultural Imperialism, man the barricades, 800 years, Fields of Athenry etc.", and Main Street is the proper "Irish" term. Which is bollocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

We get our weekly shop on Tesco online, about a fiver for delivery.
    Better than the missus trying to haul 3 kids under 5 into town during the week, paying for petrol & finding parking.
    Never had any problem with the quality of hand picked stuff.
    It's a bloody marvelous service & I'm surprised it's not more popular.

Online shopping just removes all the hassle.
    Last week I need 2 seatbelt extenders for the kids booster seats & a UHF ariel for Saorview.
    Amazon & tvtrade.ie hooked me up far cheaper than Halfords & Expert electrical could have, over 50% saving in fact.
    The previous week I needed a replacement lamp from Ikea that was going to cost €35 with their mad delivery, got it on ebay through an Ikea reseller for the same price but only €5 delivery.
    Everything arrived within 3 days & was exactly what I ordered.
    High Street sellers don't have have to fight for 99.9% customer satisfaction ratings & it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to parrot what goes on across the water. Weird.

He says as he types in English :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't know why Irish people feel the need to parrot what goes on across the water. Weird.

Like having sex before marriage and eating something other than potatoes? Bejaysus that's not us at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Seanchai wrote: »
    Why would somebody go over to Britain to do their shopping when the internet is much cheaper and faster?
    Nonsense:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html?rm=listresults&keywords=%22high%20street%22&filter=dateasc
    http://www.independent.ie/search/?q=%22high+street%22

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

kneemos wrote: »

Traditionally 'High St' refers to either a the main street of a town or the main shopping street of an area that used to be a town or village but is now a suburb of a large city. So Rathmines Rd and O'Connell St in Ennis would be high streets whereas O'Connell St in Dublin would be considered an elevation above that as in the past a main city street would have been filled with large department stores and the flagship stores of national chains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

krudler wrote: »
    What are YOUR opinions on it?

one of the worst rules ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    We get our weekly shop on Tesco online, about a fiver for delivery.
    Better than the missus trying to haul 3 kids under 5 into town during the week, paying for petrol & finding parking.
    Never had any problem with the quality of hand picked stuff.
    It's a bloody marvelous service & I'm surprised it's not more popular.

That Tesco online shop is an appealing idea alright, but is there a delivery charge, and if so how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

iguana wrote: »
    Traditionally 'High St' refers to either a the main street of a town or the main shopping street of an area that used to be a town or village but is now a suburb of a large city. So Rathmines Rd and O'Connell St in Ennis would be high streets whereas O'Connell St in Dublin would be considered an elevation above that as in the past a main city street would have been filled with large department stores and the flagship stores of national chains.

I've also heard news reports where they would say high st sales were up,for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

LordSutch wrote: »
    That Tesco online shop is an appealing idea alright, but is there a delivery charge, and if so how much?

From memory it costs somewhere between €5 to €8 depending on which delivery slot you choose.
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/

If it was €20 I'd still pay it for the convenience.
    They even carry it into your house & put it on the kitchen table for you.
    If you're nice like me you could help them.

The Tesco site is OK, and better than SuperValu (not great), SuperQuinn (not great) and Dunnes (non-existent), but unfortunately it does feel like a slightly brain-damaged version of the UK site from a functionality perspective, and there are still quite a lot of issues with stock and substitutions. Its a common problem with a lot of .ie sites, the level of investment isn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We live in an age where for 80c you can have magic beans delivered to your door

http://www2.buyincoins.com/new_en/details/5-pcs-magic-bean-seeds-gift-plant-growing-message-word-product-5206.html

For stuff that doesn't usually need repairing , doesn't come in different sizes and colours and arrives in a shrink wrapped box it really doesn't matter where you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

dpe wrote: »
    In Dublin it definitely is. I've been living here five years and I've never heard the phrase "Main Street".

I lived in Dublin from 2002 to 2010 and never really heard it used. 'Main Street' is more a small town thing, but 'high street' doesn't replace it in Dublin.

Main Street isn't an Americanism, there are Main Streets in towns up and down the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I need to do my own food shopping, to make I get the freshest bread, milk, whatever. I don't trust them to do this. But then, I suppose if the food deliveries were crap, people would stop getting them so they must be ok.

They're fine. I was given short dated milk once, but I gave it back to the delivery guy. It's a huge time saver for me & between petrol and parking charges, it actually saves me money as well as time.

Advertisement