Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The Artist is the only movie I know of that was recently black and white and it did so for very obvious reasons, paying homage to that era of Hollywood etc.
    "
    Plenty of recent films have been shot in black-and-white. And for artistic reasons. From just the last 12 months there was: Computer Chess, Frances Ha, Nebraska, A Field in England and Much Ado About Nothing. Fairly popular films by well-known directors too.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think you missed the point of what SP was saying, there's a difference between being transported to to the world the film is set in and being transported to the set the film is made on. He's saying the HFR makes the film look like a bunch of people in costumes on a set rather than a convincing cinematic depiction of a fantasy world.
    Yeah, I distinguish strongly between the type of immersion one might seek in a video game or virtual reality-type experience and the one experienced with a film. With a film I want to be immersed in the story more than I want to be immersed in the world. Especially when that world has been created by sets and visual effects. It’s kind of like watching an old film on Blu-ray and noticing all the wires and fake-looking make-up that weren’t visible on video or even in the cinema. For most films having a veil or barrier (like the one created by 24fps) between the audience and the film is good thing.

I’m not opposed to the technology. HFR is ideal for sports and reality tv. However, films are more about putting a mirror on the world rather than a window. This is why we still accepting of films shot in black-and-white or without sound. I mean, were audiences during the silent era less immersed in the film than they are today? I would argue not. In fact, they were probably more immersed. Somehow the even lower frame rates wasn’t a problem for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I must admit, when i saw the first hobbit, the ultra realism was a huge surprise and amazement to me. I loved the fact that as you watched a particular incident on screen, out of the corner of your eye the little background things were also Crystal clear. I do think it must be watched in a huge cinema like the imax at the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I'm slowly being convinced :D

I definitely couldn't get past the make-up on the dwarves, probably some of the best prosthetics in the world (at this stage Weta know what they are doing) but super-obviously prosthetics. Same with the sets. I put that down to the 4k resolution rather than the HFR though but I guess it's the same idea about hyper-realism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

It was very interesting to say the least to see how people reacted to the HFR last year on boards, I booked my ticket for the hobbit on day one in the cineworld "imax" and one comment that kept cropping up here on boards this time last year was along the lines of "oh after 15mins or after half an hour you forgot about the HFR and carried on enjoying the movie" etc etc For me it was the exact opposite and took at least an hour and a half before my eyes stopped registering it

The annoying thing about it is, its so intrusive to your view. A couple of times early on (depending on the scene of course) you may find your eyes adjusting and "forgetting" but as soon as a scene like Bilbo chasing the dwarfs with the contract appears the HFR makes itself known again, jarringly! It looked like someone speeding up the movie ala fast forwarding, suddenly Bilbo's running at what appears to be a ridiculously unnatural speed through Hobbiton (its reminiscent of old War time footage and people clapping or waving) Scenes like those and BANG your back to noticing, I found with so many landscape shots of a similar nature the HFR really jarringly knocked me out of the immersion, I certainly felt the HFR made it seem like a video on a set and amplified the "fakeness" physical set pieces had when they joined with their cgi counterparts overall the HFR probably affected my overall feelings toward the film.

I'd most wholeheartedly agree with the comments made above regarding it being pushed on us too quick particularly after effectively having 24fps film for the last 100 years something like this needs to be handled delicately in its introduction as someone said above maybe with multiframerates throughout and higher frames for action sequences, I for one don't want the distraction evident again this year and will endeavor to catch it in 24fps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Tickets booked for Tuesday - can't wait. Watched An Unexpected Journey again to get me in the mood :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of this franchise and all things middle earth. Just saw the new film. I'm done with Peter Jackson.
    It's about an hour longer than it needs to be. It's totally bloated and draaaaaags Painfully slowly in all these totally made up scenes yet skips through key scenes and characters all too fast. The 3D was atrocious. You cant see anything for the whole second half of the film, its so utterly dark. 3D is a cheap distracting gimmick IMO from now On. Huge disappointment. I have all the extended editions. I won't be buying this one.

david75 wrote: »
    You cant see anything for the whole second half of the film, its so utterly dark. 3D is a cheap distracting gimmick IMO from now On. Huge disappointment..

Did you watch it in the Cineworld Imax? I find RealD 3D to be dark and annoying. But for all the giving out about the HFR and the high res images about last years Hobbit I've never heard anyone complain that the image was too dark. In fact I think it's rather bright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Let me preface this by saying I'm a huge fan of this franchise and all things middle earth. Just saw the new film. I'm done with Peter Jackson.
    It's about an hour longer than it needs to be. It's totally bloated and draaaaaags Painfully slowly in all these totally made up scenes yet skips through key scenes and characters all too fast. The 3D was atrocious. You cant see anything for the whole second half of the film, its so utterly dark. 3D is a cheap distracting gimmick IMO from now On. Huge disappointment. I have all the extended editions. I won't be buying this one.

This is the harshest review I've read yet. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Well this sounds worrying, especially as I'm flying to London today to attend a screening!.....however will remain upbeat as most of the reviews I've read have been positive!

This is the harshest review I've read yet. :/

To put it in context, I've bought three swords from the LOTR films. I really am a fan of the franchise. But I stand by my review.

• Advertisement

Did you watch it in the Cineworld Imax? I find RealD 3D to be dark and annoying. But for all the giving out about the HFR and the high res images about last years Hobbit I've never heard anyone complain that the image was too dark. In fact I think it's rather bright.

Saw it at the savoy last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

To put it in context, I've bought three swords from the LOTR films. I really am a fan of the franchise. But I stand by my review.

This is from another forum I frequent, it's probably a bit too flattering, but most of the posts have been alot closer to this one than yours.
    ALL RIGHT! I've slept and recollected my thoughts. Here's what I think, and I'm probably gonna make/have some weird assumptions/opinions but **** it!

- Ian McKellen is at his peak of his career right now. I have never seen Gandalf do his role this well.

- Bilbo remains the "hidden" best actor in the game. His facial expressions are dynamic as usual and they've given the character more life than the book could ever give him.

- Benedict Cumberbatch as the VA of Smaug was the perfect choice. Well, either that or Chris Metzen from Blizzard.

- From the cinemagraphy and camera work that was given to us in AUJ, I felt that Smaug was supposed to be insanely scary. The final second of AUJ still scares the **** out of me. In Desolation of Smaug,
    we get to see him in all his glory
    and he's not as particularly scary as I wanted him to be. His design is ****ing amazing but I personally am not a huge fan of agile dragons. I would've loved him even more if he was more compact - but I guess that wouldn't have worked in the situation of this movie.

-
    Beorn felt rushed
    . Started out good with a huge build up but led to disappointment.

- Bombur is ****ing amazing. And that scene is ****ing amazing as well. Screw the haters.

- P.J's intense love for elves and everything elf-related is still mind-blowing. Every single time there's an elf being introduced, or re-introduced, or even re-shown in the same movie, there's some sort of epic music and specific focused light sourcing going on at the same time. This is both a positive and a negative thing.

- Orlando Bloom has grown older and I like it. He played Legolas perfectly, as expected.

- The environments kept impressing me during the movie. Dwarven architecture, in particular, is something P.J has perfected.

- I think they tied in the rest of the trilogy next to perfectly. The build up from AUJ in particular was a genius move.

Some things that confused me:

- I'm still not sure what the ****
    is going on with Azog. He was supposed to be one bad ass superorc, but kinda became pale in front of the newly introduced Bolg. The character itself confused me in this movie, compared to in AUJ.

- How could Bilbo
    still hear the spider talk (that spat out "It stings...! It stings!) when he had taken the ring off? I thought he could only hear the spiders as he was wearing the ring?

- I felt that the dwarves
    gave up WAY too fast after realizing that they couldn't get in through the back door. It wasn't very Thorin-like, if you ask me.

- Thranduil is a very good character and reminds me of Kael'thas from World of Warcraft (TBC). But
    I was very confused with his way of talking to especially Thorin in the movie. He was very, VERY unlike every other elf. He kept downgrading Thorin by crouching down to the dwarves head and speak to him. He was also very aggressive with the way he spoke. Felt odd for being an elf, but maybe that was his personality.

- Oh, and the
    final scene of the movie? Might as well have been the intro for Cataclysm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc&t=1m38s
    which isn't necessarily a bad thing :)

Overall: The entire LotR was 5 across the board. An Unexpected Journey was a solid 4 - and while I love that movie, I felt that it was lacking the amount of epic scenes that I feel is required in a LotR-movie, be it a prequel or not. The Desolation of Smaug is a 5 out of 5 and will remain a masterpiece, and a movie I'll look back at in 10 years and say "Yeah, that is truly a really good ****ing movie"... which is identical to my statements of the first trilogy.

Can anyone please confirm yet if the Cineworld IMAX version is in HFR? I've got a feeling it's not this year. I can't ring them because it's a weird 1520 number :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This is from another forum I frequent, it's probably a bit too flattering, but most of the posts have been alot closer to this one than yours.

david75's opinion is what I expect to think of this movie, so I won't be disappointed if that's how it turns out.

I'm only gonna respond with one thing to all that. And there's a spoiler so be warned. I love Gandalf. This film adds nothing whatsoever to his character, if anything it takes a lot away.
    he gets his ass kicked big time by the Necromancer in a badly shot, terribly portrayed fight

And that's not what's worst. Perhaps I'm so let down cos I'm too much a fan and expect too much of these films and the people making them. This is an unworthy mess almost completely.
    I'll sign off in that as soon as I see it in 2D. The 3D darkness was such a horrible distraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Hmmmmmmm.

More of the same for me really, albeit marginally better. If you liked the first one then you'll probably like this.

If not, it ain't going to convert you!

Can anyone please confirm yet if the Cineworld IMAX version is in HFR? I've got a feeling it's not this year. I can't ring them because it's a weird 1520 number :(

Yes, it is. I saw it there tonight.

Awesome thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just back from it. It's definitely in HFR.

It suffers from the same problems as the first one - overlong, overuse of CGI, inconsequential plotlines due to stretching the book into three films and the HFR still makes it look like a high budget TV movie at times. I just wish Jackson would stop making such bloated films - it's unnecessary. And I don't know why he decided to go with CGI orks after doing them so well in LOTR.

Having said that, some of the set pieces are excellent, there is plenty of fantastic design and the visuals are beautiful at times. It's a film I probably would have loved when I was 10, 11 or 12, but it just falls too far below the high benchmark of the LOTR films.

My review of the first film:
    The Christmases of 2001, 2002 and 2003 were special. For three Decembers on the trot, we were whisked away to Middle Earth to experience adventure and fantasy on an epic scale never before seen in cinema. The Lord of the Rings trilogy was a triumph, both critically and commercially, pleasing loyal Tolkien fans and money hungry studio bosses alike.
    Almost ten years later, Peter Jackson returns to Middle Earth, the scene of his greatest success, with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the first part of a trilogy based on J. R. R. Tolkien's book that preludes The Lord of the Rings. There have been a series of ominous warning signs during the production, with original director Guillermo Del Toro dropping out, followed by the worrying announcement that the rather modest sized book would be split into three films.

While The Lord of the Rings books deal with an epic battle between good and evil which threatens the whole of Middle Earth, The Hobbit is a much smaller and more personal story. It follows the quest of a band of dwarfs, accompanied by Bilbo Baggins and the wizard Gandalf, to reclaim their home and treasure in the faraway Lonely Mountain. The Hobbit reads like a children’s book when compared with the darker, more adult Rings trilogy, and this tonal difference is mirrored in An Unexpected Journey. The film plays for laughs and slapstick gags from the offset, with the threat level never venturing beyond ‘mild’ even when the adventure is in full flow.

Martin Freeman proves a fantastic bit of casting as the homely 'every-man' Bilbo. His breakthrough role in The Office seems a million miles away as he potters around Bag End, complete with over-sized hobbit feet, and he is easily the most likable halfling thus far. His quest companions are mostly well cast too, with Ian McKellen once again bringing that meaty, thespian experience to the role of the Grey Wizard. However, it is slightly puzzling that many of the dwarfs aren't given more time to develop their characters considering the story has been fleshed out so much.

While An Unexpected Journey never threatens to rival its epic predecessors, there is still much to admire here, from the beautiful swooping shots of the majestic New Zealand countryside, to the carefully and creatively choreographed battle sequences. Jackson still has the power to take your breath away with stunning images, from the mythical city of Rivendell - nestled into the cliffs of a mountain and flanked by lush flowing waterfalls - to a flock of giant eagles gracefully gliding between the misty mountain tops.

The battle sequences are mostly exhilarating and always accompanied by an excellent rousing score, but some are hampered by a disappointing muddle of computer effects. While the orks in the Rings trilogy were beautifully crafted using an effective combination of actors in makeup and prosthetics, here Jackson relies on CGI to bring his nasties to life. While CGI is clearly a valuable tool in a fantasy filmmakers arsenal, helping to bring fantasy worlds to life in a way that directors of previous generations could only dream of, it should be used with care.

Sometimes, less is more. Over use of CGI can hamper a film by lowering the sense of danger and threat, as seen in the likes of King Kong (2005), the Star Wars prequels or Indiana Jones 4 (2008), and while An Unexpected Journey never stoops this low, certain scenes are cluttered with countless CGI characters. During one set piece in particular - a goblin chase through a mine – it is impossible to retain any sense of danger due to the sheer amount of computer effects on show. What should be nerve-wracking and visceral, instead becomes technically impressive but trivial. The sense of danger eventually evaporates completely, making you feel like you are watching a cartoon or a video game.

The main villain, an albino ork named Azog the Defiler – who was a minor character in the book but given a starring role here – is needlessly created using CGI, and has that horrible ‘plastic’ quality that plagues computer generated characters. This is a real shame, as Jackson has shown in the past that he understands how to use CGI sparingly to great effect, although perhaps his work on King Kong (2005) marked the beginning of a change in mind-set.

The decision to split the book into three films is also problematic. While an extremely talented director, Jackson has shown a tendency for baggy film making, with many of his most recent efforts – Return of the King (2003), King Kong (2005) and The Lovely Bones (2009) – lingering for at least 20 minutes too long.

Each of the books in the Rings trilogy is roughly 400-pages-long, which forced Jackson to ruthlessly pick and choose the most dramatic and cinematic moments to include, while leaving a considerable amount of footage on the cutting room floor. By comparison, The Hobbit is 270-pages-long, and An Unexpected Journey deals with just the first third of the book, meaning Jackson ends up giving minor characters starring roles and fleshing out small occurrences into blockbuster action set-pieces.

While The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) was the perfect set-up for the epic adventure that was to follow, An Unexpected Journey meanders and feels self-indulgent, lingering too long on scenes or characters that are peripheral to the main story arc. The entire sequence with the Brown Wizard feels shoe-horned in to flesh out the adventure, and is followed by an action set-piece that is nowhere to be found in the book.

An Unexpected Journey is an exciting and entertaining adventure, which boasts some stunning visuals and has clearly been meticulously crafted with an abundance of love and care. However, Jackson fails to come close to the high benchmark he has set for himself. Despite its flaws, this trilogy opener will entertain and excite, but falls short of the ‘modern classic’ status enjoyed by its predecessors.

Note: This review was based on a 48fps screening of the film in 3D at Cineworld Dublin's new IMAX-lite screen. It is the first time a film has ever been released in 48fps - 24fps has been the norm for the last century - with only a small number of cinema's worldwide kitted out to project it this way. The increased frame-rate makes the images on screen look hyper-real and crystal clear. It creates the rather jarring illusion that you are in the room with the characters, or right in the centre of a heart thumping action sequence. On the flipside, the images on screen often looks too real and some of the cinematic charm is lost. In some of the early Shire sequences, it's impossible to avoid the thought that you are watching a very high budget soap-opera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Don't understand your point about the darkness. Saw it last night and it's the first time I've seen a movie in full high frame 3d. It looks strange and is overused in parts but the movie is good and in no way is too dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Just watched TDOS. I thought it was brilliant. Much better than the first movie. Plenty of excellent action. Benedict Cumberbatch was brilliant as smaug. A 9/10 for me.

So I should get my money on it for best picture' at the Oscars then?

two tickets booked for HFR in the point next thursday.... cant wait!!!

Okay, I have a quick question for you. Did you enjoy the first film of The Hobbit trilogy, 2012′s An Unexpected Journey? Because if you did, then there is a chance that you may like The Desolation of Smaug. If you didn’t, then you should stop reading right now. Because the second film isn’t going to covert you. Because it is, sadly, more of the same, albeit a TINY bit more entertaining. And it’s also a slightly shorter film (even though it doesn’t feel like it at times).

Let me be absolutely clear – I LOVED the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I thought Peter Jackson and company did an incredible job of bringing J.R.R Tolkien’s work to the big screen and I try to watch them all at least once a year. And every time I do I am still able to enjoy each film immensely. In contrast I tried to re-watch An Unexpected Journey again recently and gave up about halfway through. That’s not a good sign.

Picking up almost exactly where the first film left off, The Desolation of Smaug continues the quest of thirteen dwarfs, led by Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage) as they make their way across Middle Earth to reclaim their stolen mountain home from a dragon named Smaug (voiced by the ubiquitous Benedict Cumberbatch). Accompanying them on their journey is the titular Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) and the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen). Along the way they once again encounter an assortments of beasts, orcs, elves, giant spiders and visit a wide range of digitally rendered worlds. And once again the film lurches clumsily from one giant set piece to another, barely pausing to catch its breath or leave any room for character development.

A big problem is that there are too many interchangeable dwarves. Okay, this isn’t Jackson’s fault as they all exist in the source material but as a result the action scenes get bogged down as he tries to give each of them something to do. Speaking of the action sequences – they are well staged and a bit of fun but like everything else in this film they simply go on far too long. And I’m not attacking lengthy films here. Some of my favourites are around the three hour mark (The Deer Hunter, The Godfather, Close Encounters of the Third Kind) but they are not filled with what feels like almost an hour of unnecessary padding.

A few familiar faces from the Lord of the Rings film show up, most notably Legolas, played once again by Orlando Bloom (does that man age at all?) He is given some cool stuff to do but his presence just made me long for the previous trilogy even more. Stephen Fry shows up briefly as the Master of Laketown but he isn’t given much to do. Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) is a refreshing new addition to the cast and she brings some much needed energy to the film whenever she is on screen.

Smaug’s eventual appearance does spice up proceedings somewhat and he is a spectacular sight to behold, but once again Jackson drags out his exchange with Bilbo and then adds yet another twenty minute action scene that could easily have been trimmed or just excised altogether as it accomplishes nothing. By the time the film reaches the inevitable cliffhanger ending it’s hard to really care that much any more.

I saw this film projected in High Frame Rate 3D and I remain unconvinced about the format. Although it was not quite as jarring this time around I still think it makes the film look like a giant video game cutscene. The image is crystal clear, yes, but it makes many of the special effects shots look very, very fake. I would be curious to see the film projected in 2D at 24fps to see what difference it makes.

Much like its predecessor, The Desolation of Smaug has massive pacing issues. Although there is a lot happening almost all the time, the film strangely never seems to gain any real momentum. You get the sense that Jackson felt that he had to cram EVERYTHING into these films and it is very much to their detriment. The first two films in this new trilogy feel like extended cuts you would sit down and watch at home on a long Winter’s evening – not during a trip to the cinema. I was delighted when I heard Jackson was taking the reins for this project after so many false starts but now all I can think of is what the original director, Guillermo del Toro, would have done with the material.

Like last year’s effort, I desperately wanted to like The Desolation of Smaug but it just failed to engage me as it should. It’s not a total disaster by any means and there are little moments to enjoy, but they are few and far between.

These films should be a massive annual EVENT. Something to look forward to. Something to get lost in. Something to savour. But instead they are turning into a chore, which should not be the case. And frankly, that’s exactly what I found this movie to be – a chore. I’m sorry to say it but I’m looking forward to this time next year when Peter Jackson will finally put this ill-conceived trilogy out of its misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

doubledown wrote: »
    Did you enjoy the first film of The Hobbit trilogy, 2012′s An Unexpected Journey?

Not a lot, so I'll stop reading there.

I will still bring the kids to see this, but my expectations are continuing to bump along the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Just out of this... what the hell was the point? 3 hours of absolutely nothing happening, and an ending that doesn't justify being called an ending. Caveat is that I'm in no way an LOTR or Jackson fan, but this honestly felt like it was extracting the urine. Also, the 4k makes it look like an episode of the young and the restless, and does nothing to hide some very, very questionable directorial moments

*someone says something*
    *cuts to character with hilariously over exaggerated expression*
    *cuts back to first character, with even more overacting*
    *hackneyed line*
    *cut to walking*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

off to see this tonight with the brother (so itll be 2D)

Only real fear i have is itll be padded to within an inch of its life like the first.

beyond that im actually looking foward to it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 turbodog

Looking at the cineworld booking page, it appears that there are options for 2D, 3D, Imax 3D and HFR 3D, but NOT Imax HFR 3D.

turbodog wrote: »
    Looking at the cineworld booking page, it appears that there are options for 2D, 3D, Imax 3D and HFR 3D, but NOT Imax HFR 3D.

Already mentioned, I believe all Imax showings are in HFR 3D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Just saw this today and found it pretty meh...would I be the only one with this opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Found it disappointing which is surprising because I actually enjoyed the last Hobbit film. It's all a bit charmless here with Bilbo being drowned out among all these CGI bells and whistles. Visually it lacks the earthiness and weight of the LOTR movies, also means that the times when it does cut to actual landscapes feel jarring and uneven. Like going from video game cutscenes to grainy documentary footage.

Haven't read the book but I'm hoping this is just a ridiculously padded setup to a much better film, but yeah not a bit impressed by this one. If you cut out all the filler the film can just be summed up as "bunch of lads pay a dragon a visit", it's just not enough. It all just felt like a baggy fan-fiction tribute to something I didn't know in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

grinds my balls that del toro didnt get to make this. jackson makes stuff a bit twee and childish. could you imagine this made with a Pans Labrynth style? it was a perfect match, it would have been awesome. we were robbed:mad:

he had enough, he got to make the entire rings trilogy. why god why:(

i wonder was it jackson that stymied the development so that del toro would move on. either way we were robbed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Looks like im the only one who enjoyed this film so far..

Nope I quite enjoyed it. It fairly rattles along, and I loved the barrels sequence. Going to try the HFR version next week, looking forward to seeing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Some of the cgi is truly atrocious and it really takes you out of the moment. Definitely not the worse lotr movie and in my view at least as good as Return of the King.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭Liamalone

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Some of the cgi is truly atrocious and it really takes you out of the moment. Definitely not the worse lotr movie and in my view at least as good as Return of the King.

Errrm, is Return of the King not supposed to be the best of them all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Liamalone wrote: »
    Errrm, is Return of the King not supposed to be the best of them all?

Maybe but it is not my favourite of the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I really enjoyed it. The barrel sequence was worth my money alone and I liked the closing scene. I liked smaug, baird and the new elf girl. Martin freeman as bilbo was also very good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Absolutely brilliant, Jackson is extremely good at stretching a short story into 3 movies.
    Smaug was fantastic.

Some of the CGI was bad though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

It made me want to go out and buy Skyrim again...

Hah, was just thinking that. Especially the scene with Gandalf towards the end.

I really enjoyed the movie. I watched in new Ominiplex Maxx Cork which was in 3D and 48fps. Its my first time seeing a 48fps movie and it is a bit jarring at the start, it kinda takes you out of the movie as certain scenes.

It was a bit bloated, the battle with Smaug went on a bit too long and I didn't really care for that town on the lake.

Still though, a great watch imo and certainly lots of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Really enjoyed it and found it be be superior to the first one in just about every respect. One scene in particular with Gandalf stole the movie for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It made me want to go out and buy Skyrim again...

Or save some money & play the one you already have!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I'm a huge fan Tolkien fan, huge LOTR movie fan, I was only content with The Hobbit, but still, I don't understand how anyone can tell me TDOS was a good movie. I'm gutted with what I've witnessed tonight, perhaps my expectations were too high but Smaug aside (and even at that
    His little hide and seek with the Dwarves which culminated in that God awful gold smelting was appalling.)
    There was little I could come away from this movie pleased about.

Is Howard Shore finished? The score for Transformers left more of a mark on me than that did.. No heart, not in the least bit powerful, no uplifting over the top Dwarven theme (which was over used in the first one but still a great little piece) I remember hearing The Breaking of the Fellowship in TFOTR and being close to tears, even now when I listen to it I feel how I did the first time I heard it. I understand you can't compare the LOTR and The Hobbit but it deserves the same treatment none the less, it may not be as epic a story but it's a wonderful tale all the same and I can't help but feel it's just being mocked.

emo72 wrote: »
    grinds my balls that del toro didnt get to make this. jackson makes stuff a bit twee and childish. could you imagine this made with a Pans Labrynth style? it was a perfect match, it would have been awesome. we were robbed:mad:

he had enough, he got to make the entire rings trilogy. why god why:(

i wonder was it jackson that stymied the development so that del toro would move on. either way we were robbed

The hobbit, as a book, is twee and childish.
    Which, in my opinion, was pointedly captured in the first movie and why I'm looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The hobbit, as a book, is twee and childish.
    Which, in my opinion, was pointedly captured in the first movie and why I'm looking forward to this one.
    Jackson created the on screen Middle Earth over a decade ago, he shouldn't have deviated from it as much as he has. This crap about it being a kids book, so it's okay for it to be all silly and goofy when it wants, yes sure it was a book kids could enjoy, but there is a sinister tone underlying all of it and Tolkien tweaked his original Hobbit story to allow it to tie in seamlessly with The LOTR. Jackson appears to have gone the other way about things and created another Middle Earth which IMO is almost unrecognisable to the one we visited 10 years ago.

The first 20 minutes of TFOTR were playful and jolly and you could say a little "childish" but it was funny and engaging and it still felt real. The Hobbit has been a goofy, over the top, CGI fueled mess so far IMO, and what kills me is the story is there, it's just told in such a poor manner. A manner which the 48fps does nothing to aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

peter jacksons a gob****e
    for the way it ended. we have to wait a year to see what happens

he could of just ended it there and then but no money must of payed its part

This crap about it being a kids book, so it's okay for it to be all silly and goofy when it wants, yes sure it was a book kids could enjoy, but there is a sinister tone underlying all of it and Tolkien tweaked his original Hobbit story to allow it to tie in seamlessly with The LOTR.

I'm sorry but there was no sinister tone to the hobbit novel at all bar the motifs of war and greed. It is and always will be a children's book, imo the greatest children's book ever written, but a book for bed time stories nonetheless.

Jackson has a hard time here because literally everyone wants the prequels to Lotr with more uruk hai slaying and and less bumbling dwarves. Everyone seems to be agreeing if they were 10 they would have loved it, I think that speaks for itself and Jackson has done his job. And there's still another one to look forward to!

Edit:

This quote reflects the same conflict people had with the books at the time (from the Wikipedia page of The Hobbit):
    Publication of the sequel The Lord of the Rings altered many critics' reception of the work. Instead of approaching The Hobbit as a children's book in its own right, critics such as Randell Helms picked up on the idea of The Hobbit as being a "prelude", relegating the story to a dry-run for the later work. Countering a presentist interpretation are those who say this approach misses out on much of the original's value as a children's book and as a work of high fantasy in its own right, and that it disregards the book's influence on these genres.[26] Commentators such as Paul Kocher,[108] John D. Rateliff[109] and C. W. Sullivan[26] encourage readers to treat the works separately, both because The Hobbit was conceived, published, and received independently of the later work, and also to prevent the reader from having false expectations of tone and style dashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well went to see it last night and i thought it was great.

not brilliant, and TBH a bit of a bum number, but not bad at all and certainly a much better film than the first one which felt at times like an extended ad for new zealand tourism.

this ones much tighter IMO

Guess i'd give it a 7/10

not a bad 7 out of 10 but as mentioned theres no real reason bar commerce why the whole thing couldntve been finished up in this one. TBH one day i can see someone hacking the crap out of the boxset to make one truely excellent film thats about 3 hrs long in total.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement