Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

Even when the film he was in wasn't great, there was always a fierce, captivating charisma and energy about Yelchin. Always gave me the impression of an actor who was genuinely committed and loving what he was doing. Definitely was equally confident leading a film or supporting on the sidelines. Truly sad news.

Agreed, loved him. So, so sad. So young. He had so much potential and I think we would have seen great things from him in the future. Last time I felt so sad about an actor's death was Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

He was indeed a talent, was fantastic in Huff with Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Wow, genuinely thought he had the potential to go on to great things, he definitely had the talent and confidence to do so.

He was also easily the best thing about Terminator Salvation for me, he nailed the Michael Biehn Kyle Reese and was the only one in that movie who didn't get unintentional laughs. He would've done a fine job had he been given the chance to carry the role on.

Have been looking forward to seeing him in The Green Room for ages and it felt like he was only a particular role away from becoming an enormous name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thought he was a fantastic Actor, Alpha Dog and Odd Thomas stand out for me.

Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Damn, that's sad. Just watched him in Green Room a few weeks ago and thought he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Rest in peace Byrdy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Bernie Worrell has died at 72: he was a keyboardist best known for his work in Parliament/Funkadelic, whose songs appeared on many soundtracks including How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Romeo Must Die, and more recently The Heat and Straight Outta Compton. He did a little acting in last year's Ricki and the Flash, but my abiding memory of him will be on stage with the Talking Heads in Stop Making Sense:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

bnt wrote: »
    Bernie Worrell has died at 72: he was a keyboardist best known for his work in Parliament/Funkadelic, whose songs appeared on many soundtracks including How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Romeo Must Die, and more recently The Heat and Straight Outta Compton. He did a little acting in last year's Ricki and the Flash, but my abiding memory of him will be on stage with the Talking Heads in Stop Making Sense:

I went to a midnight showing of Stop Making Sense in the Ambassador in 1985. still sounds fantastic more than 30 years on.

Aw, man. Bud Spencer has left us at 86. He was the perennial heavyset sidekick Bambino to Terence Hill in the Trinity movies, you might say he was the Obelix to Trinity's Asterix. Just to confuse matters, Hill & Spencer worked together with different character names on several other Spaghetti Westerns - not the ones starring Clint Eastwood but low budget films that tried to capitalise on their success - and on non-Westerns too.

Before turning to acting, Bud (real name Carlo Pedersoli, from Naples) was a professional swimmer, reaching the semi-final in the 1952 and 1956 Olympics, and a champion water polo player. When not acting he was a commercial pilot (jets and helicopters), and later tried to enter politics too. Quote: "In my life, I've done everything. There are only three things I haven't been – a ballet dancer, a jockey and a politician. Given that the first two jobs are out of the question, I'll throw myself into politics."

(Don't let the dubbed dialogue bother you - you don't need no stinking dialogue!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I went to a midnight showing of Stop Making Sense in the Ambassador in 1985.
    Snap! Can't remember how much I knew of TH music before I went, but that was a revelation (especially in the days before all-you-can-eat video availbility)!
    still sounds fantastic more than 30 years on.
    Classic music, classic performances
    RIP Mr Worrell

Classic music, classic performances
    RIP Mr Worrell
    Agreed - and just in case anyone who hasn't seen it is wondering why we would discuss a concert movie in the Films forum, it's more than just a concert film. The production values are incredibly high, starting with the staging of the concert itself: a totally empty stage, one guy with a guitar and a boombox. The whole stage show is built up piece by piece, musician by musician, over the course of the evening. The director, Jonathan Demme, would go on to direct The Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Wicker Man director Robin Hardy died

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36693545

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Skerries wrote: »
    Wicker Man director Robin Hardy died

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36693545

Funnily its been screened in the ifi next Saturday.

I've a family thing on so can't attend unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Apparently Michael Cimino, director of the Deer Hunter has passed away age 77.

2016 has been a bastard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Damn good film, he did Heaven's Gate too.

Wonder will a few play Russian Roulette tonight in tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 85,308 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Director Héctor Babenco has died (Kiss of the Spider Woman)

Garry Marshall has died at 81: probably best known for Romantic films such as Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride, and the Princess Diaries films, though in the TV world he's also known as the creator of Happy Days.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/755600481087619072

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/755647898247917568

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/755624941425422336

https://twitter.com/RobLowe/status/755615410335027200

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/755631343476801537

Marni Nixon has died at 86: she didn't have many big roles as an actress - Sister Sophia in The Sound of Music was probably the biggest - but her singing voice was used in many films, often replacing the lead actress' own voice. That's her voice replacing Deborah Kerr in The King & I, Natalie Wood in West Side Story, and Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,351 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jerry Doyle died aged 60 probably best known for playing Michael Garibaldi in Babylon 5 and it's tv movies.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jerry-doyle-dead-babylon-5-actor-dies-1201825656/

Ah ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Director Tom Clegg died last week at 81 - best known for his TV work esp on The Sweeney and Sharp but also directed big screen spin off Sweeney 2 (the better of the two) and McVicar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

David Huddleston, Was the Big Lebowski and I never copped on that he was Santa in Santa Claus the Movie. Loved that movie as a kid. I never knew his name until today but he played a major part in two of my favourite movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

David Huddelston, The Big Lebowski, died on 02.08.2016.

The goddamn plane has crashed into the mountain!

Tickets please!
    -The Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Are you surprised at my tears, sir ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 videopirate

As a huge Creepshow fan, props on the name and avatar! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

He accomplished more than most men. And without the use of his legs.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Ken Baker , he who played R2D2 in the Star Wars movies has passed away today

Advertisement