Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish man (28) charged over alleged assault on Australian Politician On TV

Options
  • 07-08-2012 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I find this Embarrassing. Anyone else?

Ironically, A Politician in Australia is talking about bringing in a new "One Punch Homicide" Legislation..

Irish Times
    A 28-year-old Irish man has been charged over the alleged assault of a politician in Australia’s Northern Territory.
    John Elferink, justice spokesman for the territory’s opposition Country Liberal Party, was speaking to media in the city of Darwin about tougher laws on alcohol-fuelled violence when a man approached him from behind and kicked him in the leg.
    The incident, which took place on Sunday afternoon, was filmed by a television crew covering Mr Elferink’s press conference.
    After being kicked, the politician, who is a former policeman, turned around and attempted to make a citizen’s arrest of the Irish man, who has not yet been named.
    Footage of the incident shows two other men coming from a nearby pub and tussling with Mr Elferink. The politician tackled the Irish man to the ground after the alleged offender’s friend tried to help break him free.
    One of the other men was later apprehended and charged with aggravated assault. Police are still trying to identify the third man. The Irish man was released on bail yesterday and is due in court next month.

Australian Newspaper Link With Video

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Allyall wrote: »

Ironically, A Politician in Australia is talking about bringing in a new "One Punch Homicide" Legislation..

Irish Times

Shameful to be acting this way abroad:mad:

Does he not know we have enough politicians in Ireland he could have done this to and he would have had the support of the whole country behind him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

So what country are we going to be moving to now in mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jester252 wrote: »
    So what country are we going to be moving to now in mass?
    Dunno. It's up to the priest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Irish Times

Why would you find it embarrassing, are you related to the man in question or something? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,077 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So, why should I find this embarrassing?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

The more i watch it, the more i (Wish) think it looks like a setup. As though the Drunken Irish Paddy was paid to do what he did. The topic and all that.. I mean, what the hell is he doing?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Irish out! :pac:

Boombastic wrote: »

Does he not know we have enough politicians in Ireland he could have done this to and he would have had the support of the whole country behind him?

Wait a minute, isnt he supposed to be traveling looking to find himself ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    So, why should I find this embarrassing?

Not saying you Should, just saying i dooo.. I see what you're saying, but i can't help it.. I just do..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Not saying you Should, just saying i dooo.. I see what you're saying, but i can't help it.. I just do..

Get a thicker skin so, plenty of ex pats doing stupid things all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Wait a minute, isnt he supposed to be traveling looking to find himself ? ?

:D
    More than likely!! He better bring his skills home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yes. (insert facepalm here)
    Fcukin idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Why would people be embarrassed over the actions of one? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Oh the ironing. I too cringe looking at this. Politican talks about tougher laws on alcoholled fuelled violence and cue Stereotypical Drunken Pat stepping in to give him a kick up the arse. The only thing that's missing is a GAA Jersey.

The dope looks freshly cut from Mammys apron strings and now out in sunny Oz with not a clue. But ye can keep him Oz, we've exported numptys like this on purpose in revenge for having to watch Home and Away for the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Sea Filly wrote: »

Erm maybe cos I'm going on my hols there in a few weeks and and it does nothing constructive for our image abroad. The behaviour of what only can be described as fcukwits acting the b*llocks around Perth are equally facepalm-able.

Erm maybe cos I'm going on my hols there in a few weeks and and it does nothing constructive for our image abroad. The behaviour of what only can be described as fcukwits acting the b*llocks around Perth are equally facepalm-able.

I really don't think you'll be effected by a bunch of morons who judge everything by your nationality - it doesn't stop people comeing over here.

On a general point, at no point do the Aussie press - video or newspaper - actaully mention the nationality of the guy. Only the Irish Times does.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Why did they say it was mistaken identity? Can anyone make out what he says right before the kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I really don't think you'll be effected by a bunch of morons who judge everything by your nationality - it doesn't stop people comeing over here.

On a general point, at no point do the Aussie press - video or newspaper - actaully mention the nationality of the guy. Only the Irish Times does.

was it the pasty complexion of them that gave it away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Sea Filly wrote: »

Because of how it reflects on us as a country. I was hoping to travel to aus next year (I'm heading into final year in uni) and I honestly don't think I could face it after all the ****e our fellow countrymen and women have got up to.

My question is how could you NOT be embarrassed by this? Do you condone it? Do you somehow feel it is OK for someone to act like that? You're likely to say "No I don't condone it but I'm still not embarrassed 'cause it wasn't me", well maybe think about how this rétards actions are going to cause you hassle if you ever go to Australia.

We should be embarrassed and we should be down right pissed off and angry about it. That scum bag and everyone associated with him should be locked up and castrated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Boombastic wrote: »

Shameful to act that way home or abroad, wouldn't be acceptable in his home country either.

deisedave wrote: »
    Shameful to act that way home or abroad, wouldn't be acceptable in his home country either.

Depends on who was kicked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Depends on who was kicked :D

:D:D:D:D You have a point there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

aido179 wrote: »
    Because of how it reflects on us as a country. I was hoping to travel to aus next year (I'm heading into final year in uni) and I honestly don't think I could face it after all the ****e our fellow countrymen and women have got up to.

Don't act like a drunken fcukwit and you'll be fine.
    My question is how could you NOT be embarrassed by this? Do you condone it? Do you somehow feel it is OK for someone to act like that?

I'm not embarrassed because it's not me. Where do you get that I condone it by saying I'm not embarrassed? Hyperbole, much?

My question is how could you NOT be embarrassed by this? Do you condone it? Do you somehow feel it is OK for someone to act like that? You're likely to say "No I don't condone it but I'm still not embarrassed 'cause it wasn't me", well maybe think about how this rétards actions are going to cause you hassle if you ever go to Australia.

We should be embarrassed and we should be down right pissed off and angry about it. That scum bag and everyone associated with him should be locked up and castrated

"We"? Who the **** is "we"?

Perhaps everyone who's 28 should be embrassed by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why did this stupid c**t wait till he was over in upsidedowny land to start kicking politicians? :mad:

anyone wanna try guess what county he was from? It'll be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

How utterly bizarre!
    Although, I've heard of people doing pieces to camera getting jeered / shouted at in Dublin and elsewhere but not physically attacked!

His Aussie vacation will be cut very short after that one. Video evidence and everything for an open & shut court case.

Bambi wrote: »

anyone wanna try guess what county he was from? It'll be fun

Cavan.

EDIT: Having seen the video; Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

It's embarrassing because it's not the first time the Irish have disgraced themselves in Australia with drunken antics. Some of them seem determined to feed the stereotype of the stupid, drunken Irishman which many Aussies and other nationalities believe in.

With good reason it seems.

Every stupid stunt like this reinforces prejudice against Irish people abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What a tool, sneaking up behind someone and then bravely giving them a little girls kick in the ankle before behing held with minimal effort like a bold child in school, such a feeble little, lame, low IQ twat :D

- I'm just worried that Australia will start repatriating the hundreds of thousands of lowlife rats that deserted over there and we'll have to start once again paying social welfare for them to drink dutch gold, beat their kids/wives/dogs/neighbours and otherwise act like utter scum all over our lives once more.

Ireland gets just a little bit better each and every time one of these 'Damo's' gets on a one way flight to Aus.......

Advertisement