Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Foreign People in Irish Sport

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

kfallon wrote: »
    I was just saying to me sister in law in bed this morning that nobody in Ireland with a passion for sport (and some without) will forget the name Ochigava for the rest of their life. It got me thinking of non-Irish people who will forever be associated with Irish Sporting Memories (good or bad). A couple spring to mind such as:

Daniel Timofte: He's the Romanian guy who rather politely passed the ball back to Packie Bonner during THAT penalty shoot out in 1990 in Genoa. Here he is today :D
    http://www.mesagerulhunedorean.ro/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/11-x-1-daniel-timofte.jpg

Gary Mackay: scored the winner for Scotland against Bulgaria in 1987 for a shock Scotland victory in Sofia that ensured Ireland qualified for Euro '88. Will never have to buy a pint in Ireland for the rest of his life.

I can think of a few more but I'll give someone else a go :P

Mods, I know this is not a Sport forum but can we leave it here as there is no general sport forum to put it into, thanks in advance!

I forgot it by 6 O'Clock on Thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The All Blacks in 1978

Matt Cooper and a lot of other fans never shut up about a meaningless exhibition game which Munster won

I woz there........

One of the many irish sporting occasions where 10,000 were there but 100,000 people will tell you they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Alfie Inge Haaland
    Mick McCarthy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wim keift and his offside goal in euro 88.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I was just saying to me sister in law in bed this morning!

Eh hello...:eek::D

Only joking.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Seán Óg Ó hAilpín (born 22 May 1977 in Rotuma, Fiji .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

John Atyeo. Dalymount 1957.
    A World Cup qualifier Ireland 1 England 0, 89 mins gone and the crowd going berserk until Atyeo sticks in the net to make it 1-1. From what I've heard you could hear a pin drop as the devastated punters left Dalier.
    Listen to Philip Greene's commentary at 2.30.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmzdzOIBEtM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When i was around 8 or so i was running at the community games. I was in last place at the turn but overtook the lad in front of me to finish 2nd last. My da told me i was just like eamon coghlan. I dont think ive felt as proud since! Looking back in hindsight, he was probably just saying it so i wouldnt cry for being so shíte at athletics.

thats what dads are for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,507 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Herb Elliot, set the world mile record in Santry, when it was a big, big, big deal....
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/athlete-elliot-went-extra-mile-1448381.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Seanchai wrote: »
    Eusebio Pedroza (1985), Steve Davis (1985) and, most of all, Pedro Delgado (1987).

I remember Eusebio Pedroza, who was beaten by Barry McGuigan in 1985. I also remember McGuigan being sponsored by Irish Permanent: the people's choice, "Thank You very much Mr Eastwood" and his father singing Danny Boy. It was a great night, tarnished by McGuigan's later whinging against Barney Eastwood and most of all by McGuigan abandoning Ireland and taking out British citizenship. Yes, he won a great fight, but what a myopic idiot.

Another famous one is Steve Davis, who while brilliant always seemed to be unhappy. I remember about 20 people at home watching the snooker World Final between him and Dennis Taylor, who always seemed to be happy. Davis was widely considered the best player in the world, so we didn't expect Dennis to win. The match seemed, to my young eyes, to go on forever into the early morning. I remember they did all these snooker tricks as a show beforehand and they were fascinating.

But when Taylor finally won, it was absolutely brilliant in the dark, emigration-filled days of 1985. Unlike today, of course! Ahem.

Most of all, who could forget Spain's Pedro Delgado. What an absolutely amazing sportsman. When Stephen Roche beat him to win the Tour de France in 1987 it was extraordinary. It went on so long that everybody in the country knew all about Pedro Delgado by the end of it.

It was, and remains, amazing that a country of 5-6 million people could produce somebody to win the premier competition of a genuinely worldwide sport. To me, Stephen Roche's victory is still the greatest by any Irish person in international sport - easily up there with the Olympic gold medals, and far surpassing any Irish soccer or rugby victories.[/QUOTE]

Possibly by any Irish person, however, I would say that Dawn Run's achievements remain the greatest by any Irish sports star and may never be repeated by any other horse and almost certainly not by any mare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Anyone mention Vincent Clerc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The All Blacks in 1978

Matt Cooper and a lot of other fans never shut up about a meaningless exhibition game which Munster won

I woz there........

If you were to believe every person that said they were at that match, the official attendance was about 4.6 million people at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

I was just saying to me sister in law in bed this morning ........... blah blah blah !

What were you doing with your sister in law in bed this morning ? :pac:

Advertisement