Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Foreign People in Irish Sport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Fr. Romeo Sensini

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

martin johnson. forever to be known as one hell of an ignorant prick by most people in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Thierry Henry you handball cheating prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Giovanni Trappatoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ronan O'Gara!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima
    The Brazilian marathon runner who was shamefully attacked by nutter Niall Horan during the 2004 Olympic marathon competition while in the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The All Blacks in 1978

Matt Cooper and a lot of other fans never shut up about a meaningless exhibition game which Munster won

I woz there........

My dad missed it because my sister was being born. He never lets her forget that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nicolas Cruz from Cuba

Trained the Irish boxers back in the nineties when Carruth and McCullough were winning medals

I don't know what he is doing nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nicolas Cruz from Cuba

Trained the Irish boxers back in the nineties when Carruth and McCullough were winning medals

He's still knocking around Ireland doing white collar boxing camps and suchlike i think

Nicolas Cruz from Cuba

he's on the run in America for smuggling thousands of Cuban cigars into the country

• Advertisement

I'm reading everyone of these names in Jimmy Magee's voice :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Spanish boxer (i think) who knocked out bernard dunne in first round
    Kiko Martinez was his name.

Chris Eubank has to in there from his epic fights with Steve Collins

Who remembers Sanyo Music Centre and Sanyo Technology?

Technically Dennis Taylor and Alex Higgins weren't Irish so they qualify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Eusebio Pedroza (1985), Steve Davis (1985) and, most of all, Pedro Delgado (1987).

I remember Eusebio Pedroza, who was beaten by Barry McGuigan in 1985. I also remember McGuigan being sponsored by Irish Permanent: the people's choice, "Thank You very much Mr Eastwood" and his father singing Danny Boy. It was a great night, tarnished by McGuigan's later whinging against Barney Eastwood and most of all by McGuigan abandoning Ireland and taking out British citizenship. Yes, he won a great fight, but what a myopic idiot.

Another famous one is Steve Davis, who while brilliant always seemed to be unhappy. I remember about 20 people at home watching the snooker World Final between him and Dennis Taylor, who always seemed to be happy. Davis was widely considered the best player in the world, so we didn't expect Dennis to win. The match seemed, to my young eyes, to go on forever into the early morning. I remember they did all these snooker tricks as a show beforehand and they were fascinating.

But when Taylor finally won, it was absolutely brilliant in the dark, emigration-filled days of 1985. Unlike today, of course! Ahem.

Most of all, who could forget Spain's Pedro Delgado. What an absolutely amazing sportsman. When Stephen Roche beat him to win the Tour de France in 1987 it was extraordinary. It went on so long that everybody in the country knew all about Pedro Delgado by the end of it.

It was, and remains, amazing that a country of 5-6 million people could produce somebody to win the premier competition of a genuinely worldwide sport. To me, Stephen Roche's victory is still the greatest by any Irish person in international sport - easily up there with the Olympic gold medals, and far surpassing any Irish soccer or rugby victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Giovanni Trappatoni.

And don't forget Manuela either ;)

Bambi wrote: »
    Technically Dennis Taylor and Alex Higgins weren't Irish so they qualify.

How did you work this out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Seanchai wrote: »
    Eusebio Pedroza (1985), Steve Davis (1985) and, most of all, Pedro Delgado (1987).

I remember Eusebio Pedroza, who was beaten by Barry McGuigan in 1985. I also remember McGuigan being sponsored by Irish Permanent: the people's choice, "Thank You very much Mr Eastwood" and his father singing Danny Boy. It was a great night, tarnished by McGuigan's later whinging against Barney Eastwood and most of all by McGuigan abandoning Ireland and taking out British citizenship. Yes, he won a great fight, but what a myopic idiot.

Another famous one is Steve Davis, who while brilliant always seemed to be unhappy. I remember about 20 people at home watching the snooker World Final between him and Dennis Taylor, who always seemed to be happy. Davis was widely considered the best player in the world, so we didn't expect Dennis to win. The match seemed, to my young eyes, to go on forever into the early morning. I remember they did all these snooker tricks as a show beforehand and they were fascinating.

But when Taylor finally won, it was absolutely brilliant in the dark, emigration-filled days of 1985. Unlike today, of course! Ahem.

Most of all, who could forget Spain's Pedro Delgado. What an absolutely amazing sportsman. When Stephen Roche beat him to win the Tour de France in 1987 it was extraordinary. It went on so long that everybody in the country knew all about Pedro Delgado by the end of it.

It was, and remains, amazing that a country of 5-6 million people could produce somebody to win the premier competition of a genuinely worldwide sport. To me, Stephen Roche's victory is still the greatest by any Irish person in international sport - easily up there with the Olympic gold medals, and far surpassing any Irish soccer or rugby victories.

Apart rom winning the world cup nothing will ever surpass Italia 90 ever

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jack Charlton,no one else comes close

Wim Kieft. The Bollocks

Apart rom winning the world cup nothing will ever surpass Italia 90 ever

They won shag all, and the soccer tactics were horribly defensive! They only made it to the quarter finals. Stephen Roche actually won the premier race of a genuinely world sport, racing. Arguably, the Tour de France is one of the toughest competitions of any sport. He won. He didn't just win a place in the last 8. Given the enormous money invested in cycling in France, Spain, the US and Italy this was unique in Irish sporting history.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah Roche and Kelly

They did exhibition tours around Ireland, every kid in a primary school would come out to wave at them
    Waiting for ages just to see them flash by, teachers would cancel class just to let a few hundred kids stand in the yard waiting

National heros

Nobody has ever come close

Katie Taylor despite her achievement will never generate the hype that existed in the late eighties and early nineties

They won shag all, and the soccer tactics were horribly defensive! They only made it to the quarter finals. Stephen Roche actually won the premier race of a genuinely world sport, racing. Arguably, the Tour de France is one of the toughest competitions of any sport. He won. He didn't just win a place in the last 8. Given the enormous money invested in cycling in France, Spain, the US and Italy this was unique in Irish sporting history.

Who cares?

How did you work this out?

He was from up there in the north, over the border like. Represented Norn Iron and that. There are many clues

Bambi wrote: »
    He was from up there in the north, over the border like. Represented Norn Iron and that. There are many clues

:rolleyes:. Oh, and not to highlight your abject ignorance any further but Dennis Taylor represented Ireland in no fewer than three World Cups: 1985, 1986 and 1987.

Who cares?

You, evidently.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Stephen Jones yet...for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, here's a little reminder...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Goran Stavrevski

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Trent Johnston
    Two eldest o'hailpins born in fiji and oz but I think schillachi is no 1. in the spirit of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Nicolas Cruz from Cuba

He trains wardens and inmates in Irish Prisons, if you can believe that. Teaches yoga too. Hell of a nice man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

Gary Twigg

Advertisement