Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More RSA Drivel......

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

kona wrote: »
    None of ryanairs fleet is that old. When you do a transit, daily , weekly, a, b, c, d check on your car in a more regulated industry than nuclear power , it's not surprising you can get Boeing upwards of 30 years still going.

I stand corrected. I was going by what I was told by someone who used to work at Glasgow airport a few years ago and the Ryanair fleet was the butt of everyone's jokes at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

they are trying to make sure people maintain their cars properly

That would make perfect sense, but the headline is 'Road safety chiefs express concern at number of old cars' not 'Road safety chiefs express concern at number of cars not being maintained properly'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

piston wrote: »

I stand corrected. I was going by what I was told by someone who used to work at Glasgow airport a few years ago and the Ryanair fleet was the butt of everyone's jokes at the time.
    They did operate bac 111 but they went over 10 year ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Is that the best picture they could find?
    All yellow number plates in the left lane. Hardy illustrative of this Irish non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

An older car would like have a lower safety rating than a newer one. Indeed in 2009 Euro NCAP updated their safety testing regime to reflect newer expectations of safety (so a 4 star car from before that time isn't as good as a post 2009 4 star car...): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_NCAP#History_and_activities

Also, if you notice the RSA's recent drive from the papers, they seem to want to address non motirist road fatalities i.e. pedestrians and cyclists. Newer cars are addressing their safety like the Volvo jeep et al. with auomatic braking, and Citroen C6 with pedestrian airbags

I would suspect that the original journalists use of the phrase around mechanical failures might not be respecting the full intent of the idea.

Also, don't airbags have a finite lifespan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There really isn't any statistical justification for that statement from the RSA. The last time they had the balls to publish the numbers, only 0.7% of fatal accidents were attributable to the condition of the vehicle.

Despite this, they went ahead and made annual testing mandatory for 10 year old cars and now refuse to pass tyres that don't have the 'E' mark, clearly the SIMI folk are effectively lobbyists.

I'm all for making people align their headlights properly and having decent brakes but at the end of the day it's one or more of inappropriate speed, inexperience and drink that is the underlying cause of most accidents.

The Indo article used the term 'old bangers' and then didn't give any details whatsoever. Could have been referring to out of date sausages I suppose.

I'm showing my age here, but when I was growing up, Hillman Hunters held together with string were a common enough sight. I think the NCT has taken care of a lot of the less roadworthy cars as I don't see things like that anymore. However, I still see cars puffing out plenty of smoke from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

corkgsxr wrote: »
    i suppose newer cars are more likely to have abs and selection of airbags

most cars from 1998 onwards have these, its all BS, as I said before they all want us driving 1l little cube electric cars and then can say to the world, look what we have achived on our litle island....yeah they can F**k right off with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

people are saying the the older cars are dangerous, are they also saying that the nct is irevellant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

most cars from 1998 onwards have these, its all BS, as I said before they all want us driving 1l little cube electric cars and then can say to the world, look what we have achived on our litle island....yeah they can F**k right off with that attitude.

They don't really. My 07 berlingos has 1airbag and no abs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

anything over 6 months perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

corkgsxr wrote: »
    They don't really. My 07 berlingos has 1airbag and no abs.

Even relatively cheap cars have had ABS for some time now, an example being the original Fiat Bravo, introduced here in 95 with ABS as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

The reason people see red when RSA people talk sh**e, is because loose lips from such quarters usually preceed further regulations imposed on motorists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

SeanW wrote: »
    The reason people see red when RSA people talk sh**e, is because loose lips from such quarters usually preceed further regulations imposed on motorists.

Worse.
    In Ireland 'regulations' invariably means extra costs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Gurgle wrote: »
    Worse.
    In Ireland 'regulations' invariably means extra costs.

What can they realistically do though?
    You've the NCT every year as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Yesterday I was following a 03 Avensis with 3 wheels wobbling / vibrating (i kid you not) on their axles. I jumped out to find an African woman, man and child in the car. I warned them the the wheel bolts could be loose but I wonder if the bearings were completely knackered. How people dont notice these things is beyond me. The car must surely having been vibrating like grannys old washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Yesterday I was following a 03 Avensis with 3 wheels wobbling / vibrating (i kid you not) on their axles. I jumped out to find an African woman, man and child in the car. I warned them the the wheel bolts could be loose but I wonder if the bearings were completely knackered. How people dont notice these things is beyond me. The car must surely having been vibrating like grannys old washing machine.
    Are you sure it wasn't just badly fitted hub caps?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Gurgle wrote: »
    Strangely enough, the 'Statistics' section of the RSA website has no info on accidents caused by mechanical faults on 'old' cars.

...but it does have this, on this page: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Road%20Safety/Crash%20Stats/Road_Collision_fact_book_2010.pdf

...91% of accidents are 'driver error' (page 23)
    ...61% were caused by 'going to wrong side of road'...(page 25)
    ...only 17% were caused by 'Exceeded Safe Speed'....(page 25). Note, this is a subtle obfuscation by RSA to make you think this was people breaking the legal speed limit. It's not. I know, 'cos I wrote and asked them :) the phrased 'exceeded safe speed' includes both (obviously) where the speed limit was exceeded, but importantly adds to that any accident where the speed limit was NOT broken, but the accident was attributed to going too fast (for the conditions/driver/etc). So they don't actually tell you the true figure for breaking the speed limit in the statistics. You and I and the dog in the street know why - 'cos it's BS.

And you're right about nothing in the 2010 figures about mechanical contribution to accidents.

The nearest I can find is the 2009 book, where under "Table 17: Fatal and Injury Collisions Classified by Possible Contributory Factor Where Specified" and there is shows a scant 0.2% of accidents (i.e., non fatal, and 8 injured).

You can be damn sure that if mechancials had any meaningful contribution, they'd be rubbing our noses in it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

More than half of all cars on the road are now at least eight years old and are more likely to suffer mechanical problems

Well they can speak for themselves, I'll keep driving my old jalopies about, no newer stuff here thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

keithob wrote: »
    this is complete and utter sh1te ... check out whom the the directors are and who has pull in the rsa....

all connected to the motor industry......

All? I just looked at their bios and one has a tenuous link. What have you been smoking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

dgt wrote: »
    More than half of all cars on the road are now at least eight years old and are more likely to suffer mechanical problems

Well they can speak for themselves, I'll keep driving my old jalopies about, no newer stuff here thanks

It's complete bull from them. The are hardly any catastrophic failures which a could cause an accident, that can't happen on a well maintained car as well.

Obviously a newer car will be safer than an older one in an accident, but pulling a figure of 8 years old out of thier arse is wrong, and is designed to remind people to buy a new car.

Are they really saying that a 2005 car is at risk because of it's age?! Jesus. 2005 cars are pretty damn safe caompared to a 1995 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Oh noes, and here was I going to have my 13-year old car serviced on Saturday and NCT'd at the end of the month. I may as well not bother now, seeing as the RSA say it's going to kill me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

RobAMerc wrote: »
    RSA is quite simply the SIMI in drag.

Don't you go calling Gay Byrne a Panto Dame.........
    ........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Quazzie wrote: »
    Are you sure it wasn't just badly fitted hub caps?

100%. They were alloys. The tyres were wobbling also. I watched other cars as well to compare and the tyres/wheels were vibrating badly in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I fear this is just an excuse coming down the road (no pun intended) to ramp up tax on older cars. That said I feel there's logic to having a permanent scrappage scheme with some simple restrictions.

A) Leave it to 15 years and older so that the best has come from these old cars before they're scrapped.

B) Dont apply a VRT discount at source but rather exempt the end user from motor tax for the first 3 years of ownership. Obviously the new car would have to fall into one of the lowest Co2 levels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I fear this is just an excuse coming down the road (no pun intended) to ramp up tax on older cars. That said I feel there's logic to having a permanent scrappage scheme with some simple restrictions.

A) Leave it to 15 years and older so that the best has come from these old cars before they're scrapped.

B) Dont apply a VRT discount at source but rather exempt the end user from motor tax for the first 3 years of ownership. Obviously the new car would have to fall into one of the lowest Co2 levels

your part b, it is a godsend for the well heeled, with the hits most folk are taking, a new car is just a dream to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

Saab Ed wrote: »

we have 3 old toyota's here

a 86/92/93 all 3 are in near showroom condition and drive the way they look, to say they are maintained is understated but generally only routine stuff simple servicing and check over, all return better mpg then our modern vehicles also they are not weekend toys these cars are used for what they where made for daily driving etc

nothing wrong with a old car what so ever even after 15 years

believe me we have had loads of up to date vehicles and most have being a outright nightmare keeping them safe and driving and thats the main reason we went back to older car's, keep them maintained and do a decent checkover every week and they wont let you down

really aint a fan of the RSA when they come out with bull**** like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Average car age in Poland is 15 years. Somehow they still manage and the number of deaths keeps reducing...

Punt at reducing the yearly NCT threshold from ten years to eight?

• Advertisement

Didn't a German politician once comment on the large number of new cars over here? This is just madness. How do the motor industry have so much clout in Ireland when there aren't even any indigenous car manufacturers?

Advertisement