Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More RSA Drivel......

Options
  • 03-01-2013 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭

well, yeah..... an older car is more likely to suffer from mechanical faults, but isn't that why they made the nct yearly for older cars ...so they adressed that, but yet seem to feel the need to roll out more stereotypical drivel ......I guess it keeps them in a job ehhhhh.......

discuss........

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/road-safety-chiefs-express-concern-at-number-of-old-cars-579796.html

Concern has been expressed about the number of older cars on Irish roads.

More than half of all cars on the road are now at least eight years old and are more likely to suffer mechanical problems

Road safety chiefs are reminding motorists to service and maintain their vehicles regularly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Not a bad message to put out to be fair; there are an awful lot of motorists who do not even make the minimum amount of effort required to keep their car maintained. The yearly NCT has been a good thing as it means people have no choice but to pay attention to their car; this just reinforces the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

As a driver of one of these older death traps, I would like to point out features that my old cars has such as the regular servicing, the full compliment of working lights and the tyres with adequate tread remaining and also point to the number of much newer cars I see daily without these features.

Also the most dangerous component of any car, young or old is the nut holding the steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/road-safety-chiefs-concerned-as-number-of-old-bangers-soars-3341565.html
    "Road safety chiefs concerned as number of 'old bangers' soars"

"we are seeing the results on the side of the road" - seriously? Scaremongering or what. Buy new cars or YOU'LL DIE!

Most of the time when I see a car with bonnet up, or being taken away on a truck (and not for accident damage, possibly some repo's I suppose) it's a fairly modern car.

(Apart from a few french models and the regular refilling of BMW 520 coolant, but hey they knew what they were getting themselves in to)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What a moron.

He doesn't even say what old is.

Some aul fella will read that and look outside at his 2 year old Avensis and think its a death trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

MidlandsM wrote: »
    well, yeah..... an older car is more likely to suffer from mechanical faults, but isn't that why they made the nct yearly for older cars ...so they adressed that, but yet seem to feel the need to roll out more stereotypical drivel ......I guess it keeps them in a job ehhhhh.......

discuss........

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/road-safety-chiefs-express-concern-at-number-of-old-cars-579796.html

Concern has been expressed about the number of older cars on Irish roads.

More than half of all cars on the road are now at least eight years old and are more likely to suffer mechanical problems

Road safety chiefs are reminding motorists to service and maintain their vehicles regularly.

Is that the best picture they could find?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I see the figure of cars 8 years as being old. Well raising VRT and motor tax along with high running costs is not going to encourage people to update their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What a moron.

He doesn't even say what old is.

Some aul fella will read that and look outside at his 2 year old Avensis and think its a death trap.
    It clearly states 8 years and over :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

An eight year old car is not an old car - are people mad?

spurious wrote: »

This is Ireland, where any car older than 2008 is considered to be the spawn of the devil...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

What's pretty funny about that though is that they seem to imply that cars 8 years old or less require no maintenance :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

i have a 96 bowley, last year it passed the doe in march, then the nct in october, (1st time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Ah yes, this message has been brought to you by the RSA, sponsored by SIMI no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭piston

How come an 8 year old car is considered too old and dangerous whereas most of the Ryanair fleet is 30 year old and you just can't coast into the hard shoulder with a Boeing should it stop unexpectedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

simples if the irish government want newer cars on the road. make newer cars cheaper. but no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have to laugh at this horse ****e - It is sad that a headline with almost 0 facts to back it up is considered worthy of attention.

It should read "Poorly maintained cars can be dangerous " - and thats it. How old they are is totally irrelevant unless of course you happen to be looking to flog a few cars.

RSA is quite simply the SIMI in drag.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    How old they are is totally irrelevant

Its not really though, is it? An 8 year old car under normal conditions has most likely done (or will shortly do) over 100k miles, which is when parts start to go and regular maintenance becomes more important. They might be pointing out the obvious, and it comes across as scaremongering if you want to see it that way, but there is nothing that is particularly facually incorrect about what they are saying, for the majority of cars anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

piston wrote: »
    How come an 8 year old car is considered too old and dangerous whereas most of the Ryanair fleet is 30 year old and you just can't coast into the hard shoulder with a Boeing should it stop unexpectedly?
    None of ryanairs fleet is that old. When you do a transit, daily , weekly, a, b, c, d check on your car in a more regulated industry than nuclear power , it's not surprising you can get Boeing upwards of 30 years still going.

i suppose newer cars are more likely to have abs and selection of airbags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

djimi wrote: »
    Its not really though, is it? An 8 year old car under normal conditions has most likely done (or will shortly do) over 100k miles, which is when parts start to go and regular maintenance becomes more important. They might be pointing out the obvious, and it comes across as scaremongering if you want to see it that way, but there is nothing that is particularly facually incorrect about what they are saying, for the majority of cars anyway.

Once a car is well maintained it doesn't matter how old it is. Big mileage is a different story but a blanket painting of older stock by age as clapped out rubbish is just plain ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭kirving

The Ryanair fleet is, on average about 4.5 years old, and is one of the youngest in the world.

I'll have a quick look at figures now, but I firmly believe that the reason the death toll has dropped in recent years is heavily due to newer cars on the roads, rather than some RSA rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Strangely enough, the 'Statistics' section of the RSA website has no info on accidents caused by mechanical faults on 'old' cars.

oh yeah, and
    most of the Ryanair fleet is 30 year old
    really?
    Ryanair claims to operate the newest, greenest, and quietest fleet of aircraft in Europe. As of August 2012, the average age of the Ryanair fleet is 4.2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

a car double the 8 years old isn't an old banger if it has been properly looked after. The car I taxed yesterday for the first time is 13 years old this year , 63000 miles on the clock and near perfect. There are plenty of Rep Mobiles, 2/3 years old with higher mileages which are far more likely to break down imho.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Once a car is well maintained it doesn't matter how old it is. Big mileage is a different story but a blanket painting of older stock by age as clapped out rubbish is just plain ridiculous.

Of course it matters. There are parts in a car that will go after a certain length of time no matter how well maintained the car is; 8 years or 100k miles is a fair time frame for people to start becoming aware of these potential issues.

I think people are making far more of this statement than needs to be made. Its unnecessary perhaps (we all know that the RSA love the sound of their own voice) but they havent exactly said a whole lot wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's just rubbish and hasn't ever been true, they did have a fair few 15-20 year old 737s in the mid 90s due to rapid expansion. I recall their oldest plane is 8 years old and the average around 4.

nowadays after about 5 years a plane is worth more in parts than as a plane so fleets almost all fleets are getting younger

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,431 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Did i stumble into the aviation forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

spurious wrote: »

It is if it hasn't seen an oil change or a set of brake pads in its life.

This is the usual people jumping on the lines that suit them so they can get outraged. Why not look at it from the point of view of the bottom line and that they are trying to make sure people maintain their cars properly and not just worry about what fails the NCT and fix that.

Any car without maintenance will last a few years . It can start getting very dangerous after that. Most people who buy a brand new car will generally get it serviced at least a couple of times, if even just while in warranty.

EDIT: Just to add in before someone comes in and accuses me of being "rich" because I can afford some big money post motor tax change car like an 08 clio or micra, I own 3 vehicles at the moment. One a 98 Xantia Activa as a project, a 00 Xantia and a 00 Landcruiser commercial. The only one on the road is the LAndcruiser as I cant afford to have 2 cars on the road at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Is that the best picture they could find?

Why a UK motorway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

nig1 wrote: »
    Why a UK motorway?

no, its not a uk motorway, its the m50 full of vrt dodgers as they can't afford to vrt the car.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

keithob wrote: »
    this is complete and utter sh1te ... check out whom the the directors are and who has pull in the rsa....

all connected to the motor industry......

That's a conspiracy theory with not much in the way of facts to back it up. Did you check out the directors' profiles before you posted that?

Be my guest and name the director(s) who are 'connected with the motor industry', their backgrounds are documented here.....

http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/About-Us/Meet-the-board/

Advertisement