Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Airfryer €179.99 @ Curry's

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

September1 wrote: »
    Outside looks like new, inside is worn away from cleaning as sometimes fat drips from food and is not that easy to clean.
    No deterioration in performance after 4 years though? Thats a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

rubadub wrote: »
    If that is where your air fryer is then why not sell it? or give it to a friend/family. Sad to think such an amazing piece of kit is going to waste.

It is certainly not going to make deep fat fried style chips though, its a fast fan oven, not a deep fryer replacement.

I got mine for €109, I see a lad on adverts recently got €80 for one, they seem to get good money.
    We replaced our deep fat frier. Literally, we gave it away because we weren't using it anymore.

We make chips in the airfrier all the time. You can use them to make lovely home made chips, or if you're lazy, just buy oven chips and throw them straight into the basket (no oil required)

The Lidl Chunky oven chops are lovely

Best things about the air frier are
    1. Way cleaner, way less oil and grease flying around the kitchen, and no mroe having to change the oil in the deep fat frier
    2. Less smelly
    3. Safer. The air frier turns itself off when the timer runs out, so even if you cook chips when drunk, the worst that'll happen is that you'll fall asleep and forget to eat them. Leaving an unattended deep fat frier is a serious hazard, an air frier will shut off after the timer runs out
    4. Less unhealthy - Not 'Healthy' per se, but you'll be consuming way less oil than if you cook the food in a deep fat frier or even a fryng pan.
    5. Cheaper to run. - No pre heating required, no replacement oil. If it takes 25 minutes to cook something in the air frier, that's all it needs to be turned on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

louthuser wrote: »
    Any tips to give it a really good clean out, usually do a quick wipe with kitchen roll after a soak with hot water & washing up liquid. But its looking a bit worse for wear- how do you clean yours?

No really, sometimes it is just difficult to clean - it less messy that traditional deep fryers as less. I usually would put it into dishwasher and if much soiled perhaps soak it for few hours. If next edition was Teflon covered I might be happy to replace current unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

My Tefal Actifry is 5 years old and the handle just snapped on it last week but it still works. We replaced the moving arm inside once during the 5 year period. Very sad, it looks like i'll have to replace it now but it did it's job well for such a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so what do people use it for beside cooking chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Roasted chickpeas, sweet potato fries, quorn sausages ( i assume you can do regular ones too), roasting nuts (almonds, peanuts, cashews) onion bhajis, roasted carrot and parsnip, roasted peppers, onions etc!

Skerries wrote: »
    I use mine for everything now, lamb chops, steak, full Irish, basically whatever meat is a bargain in Aldi or Lidl this week goes into the Airfryer. Comes out cooked to perfection and doesnt have the horrible burned taste you get from a lot of electric ovens.

I haven't been to the takeaway since I got mine a month ago so its already well on the way to paying for itself and my diet is now way healthier than it was aswell, good meat with a bit of steamed veg instead of the cheap trash I was eating most days.

The best thing you can do in it is steak and chips though, slice up an onion into rings, make a bed of them and put the steak on top, give it 10 or 11 minutes at 200 deg C and out pops a perfect medium steak with a load of caramelized onions, 12 minutes is long enough to do a load of oven chips in there with it too. Also anything battered like Donegal Catch or Southern Fried chicken fillets come out perfectly aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,186 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

sok2005 wrote: »
    My Tefal Actifry is 5 years old and the handle just snapped on it last week but it still works. We replaced the moving arm inside once during the 5 year period. Very sad, it looks like i'll have to replace it now but it did it's job well for such a long time!

You could buy a replacement handle for it on eBay for around €20. You can buy replacement parts for just about anything on the actifry.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Managed to get one of these last December, Amazon had a half day sale, only cost £65 about €91 at the times. We use it about 3-4 times a week, the best kitchen gadget i ever bought.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I picked this up for 110 a few months ago. Don't regret it one bit, potatoes come out extraordinarily fluffy from this. I've made steak, salmon and even cupcakes in this thing. Well worth the investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Skerries wrote: »
    in the cooking forum
    The Actifry & AirFryer Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

I know this isn't the digital model but might be of interest to someone.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/philips-airfryer-black-hd22020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I do fish in mine just takes a few minutes ,wrap the fish loosely in tin foil drop of lemon some herbs only takes about 4 minutes..., was making a curry yesterday and cooked some diced beef at lowest temp for about 20 minutes in the air fry could not believe how tender it was.
    Steak on a bed of onions is by far the nicest thing we have cooked in ours...
    We just pop ours in the dishwasher and that foes the job. Best kitchen apliance we have.

amber2 wrote: »

That's a great deal, paid 130 for mine in DID and they've since raised the price to 150. One of the best things you can buy for the kitchen if you're a lazy cook.

The non lcd one is £99 on Amazon but is up for a lightening deal at 5:39pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

How do these compare to halogen ovens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

TheTorment wrote: »
    The non lcd one is £99 on Amazon but is up for a lightening deal at 5:39pm

Lighting deal is on now, don't get it though, it's cheaper in Harvey Norman @€;109 (basic/small model).
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/small-cooking-appliances/fryers/philips-airfryer-black-hd22020.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Lidl have a version of this for €79.99 next Monday
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=26469

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Lidl one says it doesn't use any oil??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yeah. I just got the mail on this too. It looks like it has all the features of the philips model and comes with a 3 year warranty so what's to lose?

It doesn't say what size it is, but if it's the same size as the smallest philips one, it's still big enough to serve most families needs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

TheDriver wrote: »

Neither does the Phillips one. Up to you to add the spoonful of oil or not. I've had mine since January and I've never used any additional oils. It's one of the best investments in appliances I've ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

What is the power consumption of the acti-fryer?

In terms of frying something vs using a pan & hob?

Regretting dropping €109 on the philips one in Hardly Normals last week now.

No need for regrets, Ive got so much use out of my Philips one since I bought my airfryer for €120 that Ive saved any price difference between this and the Lidl one so not too miffed, haven't eaten a takeaway in about 2 months because of it so that's the Airfryer paid for right there aswell, would be very interested to see the performance of this Lidl one, must have kitchen appliance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Akrasia wrote: »
    It doesn't say what size it is, but if it's the same size as the smallest philips one, it's still big enough to serve most families needs

Not sure I would agree with that - big enough to serve a couple yes but not really big enough for more than 2, 3 at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks guys. Anyone know what time these offers start at - i.e. do they start at open of business Monday morning? Thanks.

Thanks guys. Anyone know what time these offers start at - i.e. do they start at open of business Monday morning? Thanks.

Yep, LIDL offers are there from doors opening and if popular can sell out really quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Lidl one has its own thread
    Should keep this one to the Philips version like in the title

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheDriver wrote: »
    Neither does the Phillips one. Up to you to add the spoonful of oil or not.
    there is nowhere you are supposed to add oil, that is the actifry. Unless you just mean rolling/coating stuff in oil manually.
    If my philips one broke (through my own fault) I would be getting the same again €109 vs €80 is not enough of a price difference to have me risk buying silvercrest. The philips has good reports of lasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭amber2

rubadub wrote: »
    there is nowhere you are supposed to add oil, that is the actifry. Unless you just mean rolling/coating stuff in oil manually.

If my philips one broke (through my own fault) I would be getting the same again €109 vs €80 is not enough of a price difference to have me risk buying silvercrest. The philips has good reports of lasting.

I'm with you, plus you can order spare parts for Philips and don't have the hassle of having to be at lidl next Monday at 9am just in case they Sell out.

Advertisement