Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tallaght not as bad as you think

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

He didn't say people there aren't nice, he said those areas are dumps.... and they are.

There's really no way to sugar coat it, they're absolute kips.

Well in that case I hope this recession doesn't bite you to much in the ass in which, god forbid, you may ending up living in one of these areas....cause you never know..you just never know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Anywhere that has to fully enclose bridges over streets in a cage is a dump.

:D Thats to stop the people who are driving through the area from throwing things at the locals on there daily walks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I have friends who used to live in Killinarden. And I can assure you, it's an absolute dump. A wretched hive of scum and villany. They couldn't wait to get out of there. There are some parts of Tallaght that are less horrible, but like the estate they used to live in, some of it is absolutely awful.
    But jees, go passed Old Bawn and up to Killinarden, Fortunestown, Jobstown (who the named these places? :D:D:D) and the likes and you're into bandit country:eek:
    I lived on the Old bawn road and in Killinarden.Nothing much happens around the tallaght village area or around Old bawn.Now lets take Killinarden ,Jesus what a kip ,Full of nutters in all of the estates there.I have mates in Donamore and Cushlawn and that ****ing place will scare you if you're not used to it or if you don't know anyone.

I completely agree.

Lived in Tallaght all my life. Grew up in Homelawns. It's near Old Bawn but would have a worse reputation as it was near a lot of council flats were people were crammed in from the early 70's and no amenities or refurbishments until the late 90's. There were several major incidents over the years in and around my area and I can understand where the repuation comes from. It wasn't the greatest place to grow up when you weren't one of the lads.

I worked up past Jobstown and I can agree, en masse past the square is a sort of no mans land. The majority of the people are lovely, open, honest and friendly but the younger crowd have lived too long unleashed with even the Gardaí afraid to confront them. I would not feel safe walking alone up that direction and I am well use to it at this point.

I'm not living in Old Bawn and areas like this and Firhouse etc... are as nice as you'll find in other suburbs like Balinteer. The youth are by and far harmless and just looking to have a game of football or chat sitting on a wall and would never open their mouth to a stranger passing by.

Saying all that, no matter how nice the area in Ireland you are never too far from an area populated by the rougher types. It's no coincidence that these areas are council areas with poorer families who, in some cases, have spawned a very negative attitude and passed it down through generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

realies wrote: »
    :D Thats to stop the people who are driving through the area from throwing things at the locals on there daily walks :D

Hate those jealous people driving through wishing they lived here.

Haterz gon' hate yo.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I like those Shamrock Shakes they do in McDonalds around Paddy's day.

I swear I can taste mint, but apparently it's just green vanilla.

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    I completely agree.

Lived in Tallaght all my life. Grew up in Homelawns. It's near Old Bawn but would have a worse reputation as it was near a lot of council flats were people were crammed in from the early 70's and no amenities or refurbishments until the late 90's. There were several major incidents over the years in and around my area and I can understand where the repuation comes from. It wasn't the greatest place to grow up when you weren't one of the lads.

I worked up past Jobstown and I can agree, en masse past the square is a sort of no mans land. The majority of the people are lovely, open, honest and friendly but the younger crowd have lived too long unleashed with even the Gardaí afraid to confront them. I would not feel safe walking alone up that direction and I am well use to it at this point.

I'm not living in Old Bawn and areas like this and Firhouse etc... are as nice as you'll find in other suburbs like Balinteer. The youth are by and far harmless and just looking to have a game of football or chat sitting on a wall and would never open their mouth to a stranger passing by.

Saying all that, no matter how nice the area in Ireland you are never too far from an area populated by the rougher types. It's no coincidence that these areas are council areas with poorer families who, in some cases, have spawned a very negative attitude and passed it down through generations.

Avonbeg Gardens in the 80s and 90s was mad. My uncle lived in the flats and I live fairly close.

But I haaaaate Firhouse wannabe D16 types.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Avonbeg Gardens in the 80s and 90s was mad. My uncle lived in the flats and I live fairly close.

I know that all too well. I was never gonna fit in in that area. Luckily enough my bro and sis knew everyone well enough to keep some of the stick off my back :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

There's about 65,000 people in Tallaght, so bound to be good and bad. Some area to the West of the village are nasty, but most East of the village are OK, some being very nice.

Compare Tallaght with other areas of similar population, Limerick for example, and I think you'd find Tallaght comes out favourably. Finglas has fewer than half the population of Tallaght and still a worse perceived mischief factor.

So in summation, I agree with the OP, Tallaght is not as bad as you (most people) think

Can we put the old Limerick population comparison chestnut to bed though for once and for all? Journalists love making this reference in Tallaght-related articles. What they don't know is that a good portion of Limerick is not within the boundary (Dooradoyle, Raheen, Caherdavin, Castletroy, Monaleen) so in actual fact the population there is almost double that of Tallaght. If Dublin were counted in the same fashion in the census, Tallaght people wouldn't feature.

I don't know where you are going with the comparison that Tallaght comes out favourably when compared with Limerick city? Where is the Monaleen or North Circular Rd equivalent in Tallaght?

But yes - Tallaght is not as bad as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Tallaght is the northside of the southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Im from walkinstown so here's a list of things that have happened to me when i crossed the m50 into tallaght

stabbed
    beaten with shovel by guy digging mysteriously in the park at night
    mugged twice
    beaten up in just a regular manner twice

2 people i went to school with were murdered in tallaght, not to mention all the drug marches.

Im sorry, but its a shíthole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Im from walkinstown so here's a list of things that have happened to me when i crossed the m50 into tallaght

stabbed
    mugged twice

2 people i went to school with were murdered in tallaght, not to mention all the drug marches.

A bit hard to believe. And, if you are telling the truth, unlucky.

realies wrote: »
    Some parts of tallaght are still very rough,as are other areas of Dublin,but it is a lot better than it was in the earlys 80,s when it had absolutely nothing in it,no communitys ,no shopping centre, nothing.Its improving all be it very slow.

what about the tallaght town centre. it was based on a fisher price garage and looked like the rebels base in terminator. used to get plimsoles there for 50p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    I think it's way too late to disperse the stereotypes associated with Tallaght but I'd like to just say that I have lived here my whole life and it is a nice place to live. I hate that it has a bad reputation and it serious pisses me getting slagged about it by people who have never even been here.

It's not as though when you leave Tallaght, suddenly you can flaunt your wallet and your car keys and whatever valuables with the attitude, 'I'm not in Tallaght anymore, I won't get robbed'. No town in Dublin can leave their doors unlocked so why has Tallaght been singled out?

We have the Square and the Luas so it's very convenient. A town shouldn't be judged just because it has scumbags, you're going to get them everywhere. So tell me what it is.

Didn't you stab me last week? On the Luas? In the Square?

stabbed
    mugged twice

"But we have no facilities man, what else is there ta do?":pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

phasers wrote: »

I always found it strange that flavour like mint, which is basically a weed that will grow anywhere, is considered more exotic than vanilla, a highly expensive spice from the tropics.

A bit hard to believe. And, if you are telling the truth, unlucky.

all very very true im afraid. though it was mid nineties

stabbed
    mugged twice

Jaysus, you could walk through compton in a KKK suit and not get it that bad. But that is either, bull sh!t, self provoked or most likely seriously bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

stabbed
    mugged twice

tallaght must be a ****hole if someone from Walkinstown is giving out about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its too big to be called a Town it should be a City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Huh?

Sure its a neither a town nor a city. It contains a village, but is really a place-name or a neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Most of Tallaght is fine, and the whole area actually has a good civic identity - almost like a separate town - with lots of community, sportis and arts actvity.

That said, OP: you don't have to come on here to plead its case. Why give a shit what a couple of mummy's boy trolls on here think of where you're from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

In fairness OP, Tallaght is a dive, let's not fool ourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

phasers wrote: »

Seriously?! Is nothing sacred to their corporate greed?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

enda1 wrote: »
    Huh?

Sure its a neither a town nor a city. It contains a village, but is really a place-name or a neighbourhood.

Its bigger than Limerick City and has a bigger population of people and horses

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

To be fair Tallaght is like the Zoo, some of the animals in it want to kill ya but not all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

A city within a city.....
    Tallaght is officially the largest town in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

stabbed
    mugged twice

Not to undermine the unpleasantness, but getting close enough to a man "digging mysteriously in a park at night" for him to hit you with his shovel, is probably going to result in him hitting you with his shovel.

Tallaght is huge. It's not a very bad area - it's somewhere that has very bad areas.

pwd wrote: »
    Not to undermine the unpleasantness, but getting close enough to a man "digging mysteriously in a park at night" for him to hit you with his shovel, is probably going to result in him hitting you with his shovel.

well it was night, he came out between the big mound of earth by the footbridge behind the cookoos so i didnt see him untill it was too late. That and i was 15 and didnt know what to do...still never found out what he was burying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

argh nasty. The fact you were a kid makes this much worse. -Not that I'm saying it's at all ok to hit adults with shovels either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Sure "The Square" was designed that it could be converted into a prison for the natives if needs be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement