Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Fysh wrote: »
    It's "just" the colour - though as Darabont had originally planned for the film to be in B&W a lot of the frame compositions work much better in B&W, and the effects look much better. Narratively it's the same film, though.

I seem to recall people saying that its quite surprising how different the film feels in B&W. Probably has more of that 50's b-movie feel to it then I'd imagine!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I seem to recall people saying that its quite surprising how different the film feels in B&W. Probably has more of that 50's b-movie feel to it then I'd imagine!

Yeah, in a good way. Don't get me wrong - I really liked the film and think it's worth watching in either version. If you've got a choice between the two, though, go for the B&W, it's that bit more effective visually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

**** **** ****. :mad:

I have a few accounts that I set up on Netflix today I signed up for a months sub which cost €7 but I don't know which account I signed up with:confused: I have the receipt of the payment on my 02 money account :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Can you pay using a 02 money card?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Blue Velvet - one of the best films of the 1980s, directed by David Lynch

Twin Peaks - another Lynch creation, excellent series, at least the first 16 episodes are worth your time

Secretary - great little movie with a commanding performance by Maggie Gyllenhaal

Brief Encounter - a masterpiece, but most people have probably watched that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

James__10 wrote: »
    Can you pay using a 02 money card?

Probably I paid using a Swirlcard prepay Mastercard without any hitches for the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭itchy elbows

Just watched first season ,was very good even though they were all.experts, 2nd season seems much better ad there all useless

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

I just got the US version and don't see what all the fuss is about. Could someone give me a few recommendations?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WatchWolf wrote: »
    I just got the US version and don't see what all the fuss is about. Could someone give me a few recommendations?

Browse the TV shows, way more of a selection. I think the irish one is actually better for movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think the irish one is actually better for movies.

Definitely wouldn't go that far! While there are certainly some gaps filled by the Irish one that are surprisingly absent stateside, the US selection has a much, much wider variety of stuff. There's very little chances of finding hidden gems on the Irish Netflix, but there's a small tonne of them buried away on the US one. Especially since there's a large amount of smaller films and TV shows (from the hilarious Portlandia to the fantastic Secret Sunshine) that have never been properly released over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

I watched Sneakers the other day. It was quite enjoyable. I do admit the first half made it look like a very smart movie, while the latter part wasn't as good, but still entertaining. Starring Robert Redford, Mary McDonnell & Sidney Poitier.

I also re-watched Hero, a Chinese movie packed with action sequences and beautiful landscapes. The ideological background might annoy some people but it's worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The Constant Gardener: I wasn't blown away by this film, yes Ralph Fiennes is really excellent in it and the music, chase scenes and scenery are top notch but something about this film left me very unsatisfied and indifferent to what i just watched.

The Reef: Miles better than Open water but Open water is dirt. Basically the film didnt make me want to care for the lives of any of the characters whom i found quite annoying. If you're a shark you'll like this film.
    Crashing your yacht on the great barrier reef and then not having any emergency communications or lifejackets: they deserved what they got, idiots.

I Saw the Devil: I really liked the first half of this movie where the scenes really shocked me. However the violence and gore eventually lost their shock value and just became uncomfortable to watch. The action scenes had a very Jason Bourne feel to them which i relished. Not one to watch with the girlfriend.

9: An animated movie in a post apocalyptic earth where living puppets numbered 1 to 9 try to survive against "The Beast". The film has excellent animations and visuals. Each character having their own qualities and weaknesses and somehow inspires hope in a dead lonely world. A nice way to spend 80 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

has anyone else had any problems with Netflix recently? Every time i put it on through my ps3 it tells me i need to update my payment method (which i did last week). when i turn NF back on the same message comes on each time. annoying to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Breaking Bad is up to season 3 on both the US and Irish one now, if you havent watched it, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Started watching season of the witch...O_O utter ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Finished Friday Night Lights the other night, haven't felt this empty since i finished The Wire.

On the movie front.

Sin Nombre, Follows a gangster who tries to flee Mexico with a group emmigrants only to be followed by his old chronies. Pretty hard-hitting movie if not a little predictable at times, well worth a watch though.

Juice, drama starring Tupac Shakur and Omar Epps. Made in '92 has that real early 90's gritty New York feel to it, the music, the clothes etc. Tupac gives a brilliant performance as young man gone off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Started watching season of the witch...O_O utter ****e

Ha! I watched the whole thing, Nicolas Cage has the same blank expression on his face for the entire movie. Who thought it would be a good idea to cast him as a crusader?

"I'm gona save that maiden, man!"

I watched I HOPE THEY SERVE BEER IN HELL, it's about 3 friends going on a stag, 1 just caught his GF cheating so.hates women and the other will f*** anything with a heart beat. It's ok , has a few funny scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭lauraww

married with children
    x files
    star trek next generation and voyager
    stargate sg1
    cheers
    roseanne
    spin city
    family guy
    beavis and butthead
    american dad
    simpsons
    a team
    tales from the crypt
    goosebumps
    buffy
    xena warrior princess
    3rd rock from the sun
    father ted
    king of the hill
    please add these shows netflix please,please,please

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

lauraww wrote: »
    married with children
    x files
    stargate sg1
    cheers

roseanne
    spin city
    family guy
    beavis and butthead
    american dad

simpsons
    a team
    tales from the crypt
    goosebumps
    buffy
    xena warrior princess

3rd rock from the sun
    father ted
    king of the hill

all on the US one, get that

• Advertisement

lauraww wrote: »
    married with children
    x files
    stargate sg1
    cheers
    roseanne
    spin city
    family guy
    beavis and butthead
    american dad
    simpsons
    a team
    tales from the crypt
    goosebumps
    buffy
    xena warrior princess
    3rd rock from the sun
    father ted
    king of the hill

You had Me all excited there when I seen married with children, I thought it was a list of shows which had been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Fairly sure that The A-Team and Father Ted is on there as well.

James74 wrote: »
    Fairly sure that The A-Team and Father Ted is on there as well.

Yeah both of them are on the American one.

You had Me all excited there when I seen married with children, I thought it was a list of shows which had been added.

Its on the American one.

Into The Abyss a great docu about capital punishment by the genius Werner Herzog is on it from today.

Melancholia on it now, worth seeing for Dunst' performance.

Into The Abyss a great docu about capital punishment by the genius Werner Herzog is on it from today.

Sweet, these the Irish or US? US I'm presuming....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

By performance, do you mean jugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Aw c'mon, she's super in that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

sillo wrote: »
    Aw c'mon, she's super in that movie.

Ah no you are right, she is great in it, but for me the movie just isn't that good. Maybe it's my extreme dislike for Lars Von Trier and everything he puts his hand too :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement