Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGS 1-3 being released in hd?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

eugeneious wrote: »
    I have to completely disagree there. if you research and look at some reviews for the game you'll see that a lot of of websites and magazines (respected ones) considered it to be the best game out at that time in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

Well most of those reviews were carried on the hype of the game. In hindsight and retrospectives they have said that it was very flawed, good game with some truly awful writing and story. Look at MGS4 and the reviews it got when it was far from a great game.

Anyway the PC version came out much later than the PS2 version, over 2 years later, so by the time it came out it was old hat, had lost it's sheen and the graphics looked very dated compared to other PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well most of those reviews were carried on the hype of the game. In hindsight and retrospectives they have said that it was very flawed, good game with some truly awful writing and story. Look at MGS4 and the reviews it got when it was far from a great game.

Anyway the PC version came out much later than the PS2 version, over 2 years later, so by the time it came out it was old hat, had lost it's sheen and the graphics looked very dated compared to other PC games.

WHAT !! MGS4 WAS GREAT :D Ok... maybe not a great game, but a great experience... at least for me anyway :) The gameplay was solid, just wasnt enough of it, it wrapped up snakes story in style.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Magill wrote: »
    WHAT !! MGS4 WAS GREAT :D Ok... maybe not a great game, but a great experience... at least for me anyway :) The gameplay was solid, just wasnt enough of it, it wrapped up snakes story in style.

Definitely not enough gameplay, and most of that wasn't great. I'd actually say it wrapped up snakes story in big handfuls of shite. Quite possibly the worst written game ever.

Definitely not enough gameplay, and most of that wasn't great. I'd actually say it wrapped up snakes story in big handfuls of shite. Quite possibly the worst written game ever.

nope

Sisko wrote: »
    Hahaha. Man I played MGS2 on the PC, graphicly and gameplay wise it felt like I was playing a really dated game compared to what I was normally playing on pc at the time. For me it was like playing a sonic game to relive my mega drive days. I loved MGS on the ps1.

Weird.....

MGS2 was made in 2001... came out on PC as is being said here 2 yrs later. But its still a 2001 game.

But PC gamers have a serious hard on for Battlefield 2 which came out two years later(or four if you count the actual time and not release) and it looks REALLY bad....

The MGS games on the PS2 are the only games i'd still consider to be somewhat respectable looking after all these years(compared to say San Andreas)

• Advertisement

Well if you thought it was well written and a good story then you need educate yourself on some better story material because MGS4 was beyond awful in those departments.

MGS2 was made in 2001... came out on PC as is being said here 2 yrs later. But its still a 2001 game.

But PC gamers have a serious hard on for Battlefield 2 which came out two years later(or four if you count the actual time and not release) and it looks REALLY bad....

A first person shooter that is online and playable with up to 64 players with massive sprawling maps and multiple vehicles is a damn sight more technically impressive than MGS2 which had tiny levels with about 3 characters moving in them. Also try picking a video where the graphics settings are stuck on high next time you want to make a point and fail.

A first person shooter that is online and playable with up to 64 players with massive sprawling maps and multiple vehicles is a damn sight more technically impressive than MGS2 which had tiny levels with about 3 characters moving in them. Also try picking a video where the graphics settings are stuck on high next time you want to make a point and fail.

Sorry for not being so in tune with what settings the video was running :rolleyes:

I went looking it up last week to see the diff to BC2 and thats the top video in the list on Youtube. Even one or two of the others i watched looked much the same.

Still doesn't dispel my point really. There was a four year difference in them, MGS2 wasn't by any means dated looking in 2003.

Fahrenheit another game from 2005, one which i did own on the PC was by no means streets ahead of MGS2 either.

I don't agree that MGS2 dated fairly quick when i look at some PC games from 2/3 years later.

You can't just compare games like that. MGS takes place in tiny corridors. YOu can pack in a lot more detail. BF2's levels are literally about 1000 times as big, maybe more and still look amazing. Also comparing Fahrenheit which was made for PS2 is silly as well. Why don't you pick out the dozens are far better looking 2003 PC games like Call of Duty, IGI 2, Tron 2.0, Unreal 2, Unreal 2003, games that look far superior to MGS2 and have much bigger play areas.

MGS2 does have nice art and gorgeou animation but there's limitations imposed on the game that made it look aged on the PC when it came out, most notably the bed physics (Havok was starting to be used then) and really poor texture quality. I'm not going to get into a debate about consoles being better than PCs of the time because that's just plain wrong. PCs will always be technically more powerful than consoles, that's a fact.

Well if you thought it was well written and a good story then you need educate yourself on some better story material because MGS4 was beyond awful in those departments.

Well... im sorry my story telling expectations arent up to you're standards mr 19k, im sure there are games which you have a hard on for that i think are sh1te... so we'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

I'm going to defend MGS 2, it was brilliant gameplay wise and the story did deliver such lines as this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDvQGGZzfI
    I remember being in nots laughing at this!

The bit about the bomb disposal expert when you found out his true past was so bad it was hilarious :) Felt bad laughing but it was so unintentionally bad. I remember hearing that the girl that was localising the game wrote on the blog ( well it wasn't called a blog then) that the MGS 2 script she was localising was the worst thing she had ever read in her life. Despite the crazy I still enjoyed MGS2 a lot.
    Magill wrote:
    Well... im sorry my story telling expectations arent up to you're standards mr 19k, im sure there are games which you have a hard on for that i think are sh1te... so we'll leave it at that.

Well there's differing tastes. And then there's undeniably bad writing and story. Terrible MGS4 writing, story and spoilers ahoy!:

The bit about the bomb disposal expert when you found out his true past was so bad it was hilarious :) Felt bad laughing but it was so unintentionally bad. I remember hearing that the girl that was localising the game wrote on the blog ( well it wasn't called a blog then) that the MGS 2 script she was localising was the worst thing she had ever read in her life. Despite the crazy I still enjoyed MGS2 a lot.

Well there's differing tastes. And then there's undeniably bad writing and story. Terrible MGS4 writing, story and spoilers ahoy!:

but dont you like all that japanese rpg sh1te, i thought you'd like the cheese scenes in MGS4 ?

Not all JRPGs are badly written and in the good ones, when there's cheese it's played for cheese. MGS4 seemed to be taking itself seriously in it's worst scenes and not realising it was terrible. MGS does have it's light hearted moments but I expect something a little more serious with lighter moments to break it up. Even MGS2 despite it's flaws at least tried something new and clever with it's story, the fourth wall breaking. It completely failed but it was a worthy experiment. MGS4 for me just fails miserably with just a hugely unsatisfying plot and some awful fan pandering and some ridiculous moments that make the excesses of twin snakes seem subtle. After the more subdued storytelling of MGS3 and it's unadulterated brilliance I really wasn't prepared for MGS4 to be a middling game it an lacklustre writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MGS is badly written, always has been, but its tongue is so far in its cheek its almost poking through. Kojima knows the series is ridiculous and has fun with it, its not to be taken seriously at all. One of the characters is an actual vampire for christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

I hope MGS2 & MGS3 are ported to the PS3.

I have watched these games being played and would love to see them working on the PS3, I dont really care about he HD upgrade. Also MGS 1 plays fine on the PS3.

I cant play PS2 games on my PS3 (its the slim model) and dont own a PS1 or a PS2

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The story was cringe worthy in 2 after the tanker chapter.

Hi I'm Solidus Snake you might remember me as the EX.President of the US and having one of the most recongnisible faces on the planet but hey that won't stop me from impersonating someone else, no one is going recognize me..not even the Head of the secret service!.

Also I have a crazy plan to take over Mahatten by myself after deploying a H-Bomb in the atmosphere above it to knock out all its electronics so I can lead it as state against the Patriots, don't worry they won't notice this cause they will busy chasing Dead Cell (all 1 of them at this point) and Metal Gear Arsenal the machine defended by no more than 2 mass prroduced Metal Gear Ray's that can be destroyed by a single burst of sub machine gun fire! Come to think of it what goods a city with no electronics to anyone?

Thats aside from bland boss fights, the awful dialogue between Rose and Raiden. The attempt at emotional scenes with Stillman where awful, I laughed had badly his whole fake missing leg whing was. Same with Emma's death scene. Only Fatman was half decent as an opponent. The whole S3 plan was just pants on head retarded too.

The only part I liked in the Big Shell chapter was the A.I Colonel going nuts.

I just hate the game for introducing the whole patriots storyline into the series. It comprised 4 and to a lesser extent Peace Walkers storyline. The lazyness of 4 when it came to explaining the list of patriots from the end of 2 or Liquid pocessing Ocelot was really insulting.

Azza wrote: »
    The story was cringe worthy in 2 after the tanker chapter.

Hi I'm Solidus Snake you might remember me as the EX.President of the US and having one of the most recongnisible faces on the planet but hey that won't stop me from impersonating someone else, no one is going recognize me..not even the Head of the secret service!.

Also I have a crazy plan to take over Mahatten by myself after deploying a H-Bomb in the atmosphere above it to knock out all its electronics so I can lead it as state against the Patriots, don't worry they won't notice this cause they will busy chasing Dead Cell (all 1 of them at this point) and Metal Gear Arsenal the machine defended by no more than 2 mass prroduced Metal Gear Ray's that can be destroyed by a single burst of sub machine gun fire! Come to think of it what goods a city with no electronics to anyone?

Thats aside from bland boss fights, the awful dialogue between Rose and Raiden. The attempt at emotional scenes with Stillman where awful, I laughed had badly his whole fake missing leg whing was. Same with Emma's death scene. Only Fatman was half decent as an opponent. The whole S3 plan was just pants on head retarded too.

The only part I liked in the Big Shell chapter was the A.I Colonel going nuts.

I just hate the game for introducing the whole patriots storyline into the series. It comprised 4 and to a lesser extent Peace Walkers storyline. The lazyness of 4 when it came to explaining the list of patriots from the end of 2 or Liquid pocessing Ocelot was really insulting.

Ha i completely forgot that was the plot to MGS2, it really was woeful, the first game had a complex but not complicated plot, 2 and 4 just went bananas, at leas Snake Eater had some semblance of sense in parts of it, even if you fight a dead guy at one stage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

I got a japanese copy of MGS2 to play before its release over here. Turns out it was the smart choice. I don't speak a lick of japanese so i didn't watch/listen to any of the codec conversations and myself and a mate amused ourselves by ad-libbing over the cutscenes with more comedic dialog.

At the time i thought it was a good game, based solely on gameplay.

I made the mistake of skipping yet another cutscene in MGS2, wsa trotting over to another part of Big Shell, codec, 5 min conversation, skipped the next cutscene figuring I'd miss nothing, next thing I know I'm in a boss fight with a harrier jump jet with no idea what I was supposed to be doing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

MGS2 was a bit naff but it had awesome boss fights. The Harrier, MG Ray and Solidus are some of the best fights in the series.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I thought the Boss battles where pretty weak. The Harrier was okay. Solidus was bland and dissapointing. Vamp was crap. Fortune wasn't a boss fight, and Fatman was okay.

The boss battle against the mass produced Metal Gears Rays really cheapend the whole series. I mean here is this whimp Raiden destroyed 2 dozen Metal Gears or so where as Solid Snake had a hell of time destroying 3 of them on there own. Just belittled the threat of the mech.

With MGS 1 I didn't have much issue with the plot except for Liquids explaination as to why he was helping the genome army. Seemed abit vague and iffy.

I only didn't like the Ray and Vamp fights. The Ray fight seemed so ridiculous that I thought it was something created by a VR machine or something but turns out it wasn't. Still think MGS2 was a good game when it wasn't interrupting you with terrible codec conversations which I can't really say about MGS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the thing with the Ray fights in MGS2 was the fact they were mass produced versions controlled by an AI, and so wouldn't have been up to the standard of the real MG Ray or Rex. That and the fact they sh*t Stinger ammo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Would like to see the VR training come back too. It could only be played on ps1.

Yeah VR missions was excellent!

Barrington wrote: »

And I definitely think Raiden redeemed himself in MGS4. His fights with Vamp, taking down several Gekkos.

I wonder how long it took konami to animate those cut scenes. It would have been a lot better if they had put the effort in other areas of the game. Raiden was rubbish, a one dimensional emo ninja, vamp is just as bad. And I hated the gekkos too, they were just crap enemies. In fact the more I think about MGS4 the more I dislike it :(

However I would love to play a remastered MGS1/MGS3. It would be cool if they put the whole series plus vr missions all on one disc. They could put together a really good collectors edition if they put their minds to it.

Raiden had 2 over the top animated fight scenes and one of the stupidest scenes I've ever scene in my life when he holds back Arsenal Gear. Definitely no redemprion for me. Vamp was awful and when they explained why he was immortal it was another chance for the Deus Ex Machina of nanomachines to be used. I mean every plot gap in MGS4 was filled with 'nanomachines did it'. It was crap.

Advertisement