Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MGS 1-3 being released in hd?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

o1s1n wrote: »
    50 cent games are popular.
    Have you played Blood On The Sand? It's not actually that bad. :)
    Halo games are popular and well received and they're generic space marine fps rubbish.
    They're not really.
    Mortal Kombat games are popular.
    Some of them aren't bad, they just don't hold a candle to SF and co. Here's hoping the new one reverses the trend. :o
    eugeneious wrote: »
    I doubt it as Sony still fully own the rights for the series and it seems that they will only make metal gear rising multi platform.
    Nope, Sony don't own the Metal Gear IP at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Sony may not have published the MGS games, however if you look at the other games being re-released in HD ie. Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell, neither of these are published by Sony yet they have not made their way to the 360. Me thinks that Sony are heavily backing these re-releases while Microsoft are staying out of it.

Sony may not have published the MGS games, however if you look at the other games being re-released in HD ie. Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell, neither of these are published by Sony yet they have not made their way to the 360. Me thinks that Sony are heavily backing these re-releases while Microsoft are staying out of it.
    Quite true, Phil Spencer said as much back in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

How people think MGS2 was crap is beyond me... I thought it was excellent... It wasnt as good as the first but it was diffo a 9/10 rating game.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

gizmo wrote: »

Nope, Sony don't own the Metal Gear IP at all. :)
    I meant that they have an exclusivity deal with the first 3 games, of course i know they don't own the ip but i should of been clearer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1 is the best game ever, never really played the rest apart from special missions :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Yes, no, Yes.

Metal Gear Solid 2 one of the best games ever made? Me arse. It was a load of ****e. I want to play MGS game as Snake...not some freak girly boy.
    I never understood the Raiden hate brigade tbh... I thoroughly enjoyed MGS2.

Exactly, some people get an awful hard on for a characters skin. The same people would have loved it if their character had a different covering and when speaking his very few words had a different tone.

Seems like a pretty lame excuse for slating a game. It's not like comparing the Green Mile with Arnold Schwarzenegger taking the lead role. In a game the characters skin is the least of the worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I highly doubt Mgs 1-3 will get a HD remake soon.

They are already bringing/remaking MGS3 to the 3ds. And not to mention that while MGS2 and 3 could be easily Hd updated .... but mgs1? that would require a complete overhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

LighterGuy wrote: »
    And not to mention that while MGS2 and 3 could be easily Hd updated .... but mgs1? that would require a complete overhaul.

Twin Snakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I highly doubt Mgs 1-3 will get a HD remake soon.

They are already bringing/remaking MGS3 to the 3ds. And not to mention that while MGS2 and 3 could be easily Hd updated .... but mgs1? that would require a complete overhaul.

1 was out on GC and pc so there would have been higher quality assets for the game if needed but more work would have to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Would definitly get this if it came out even tho I own all the games allready and ive played through them loads of times, playing them in HD with trophies would be brilliant. It would be interesting to see what they do with the first game, maybe they would include the gamecube remake but I doubt they would.

Twin Snakes

I own twin snakes :D

But twin snakes was a nintendo developed game. Well Silicon Knights developed it for Nintendo. Doesnt that mean Nintendo has some rights to that work? even tho its a konami game?

When I was playing MGS4 I wondered why they used screenshots of the ps1 version of MGS and not twin snakes. I assumed it was because although Konami owns the MGS IP. They could not show nintendo developed assets (twin snakes) as MGS4 was a ps3 exclusive game.

Could be wrong. But thats what I thought. So obviously a MGS 1-3 HD remake would be released on PS3. Im thinking Nintendo must have some rights to Twin Snakes assets and wont allow it to be on a rival console.

I really hope they do re-release the games and i do think they will because at the end of the day with the amount of people who would buy them would make Konami and Kojima a lot of money, just look at the success of the God Of War remakes.

I meant that they have an exclusivity deal with the first 3 games, of course i know they don't own the ip but i should of been clearer.
    Nope, the original Metal Gear Solid came out on the PC too remember. Twin Snakes was essentially a remake of that game and it came out on the GameCube. Finally we have MGS3 which is also getting a re-release on the 3DS when it comes out later this year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Raiden's character was better developed and realised in MGS2 than he was in 4. Kojima seems to be pandering to the most infantile of audiences with his super cool edgy ninjas.

Nope, the original Metal Gear Solid came out on the PC too remember. Twin Snakes was essentially a remake of that game and it came out on the GameCube. Finally we have MGS3 which is also getting a re-release on the 3DS when it comes out later this year too.

MGS was never a Playstation exclusive. But its easy to see why people think that.

The way I always saw it (someone can point out if im wrong)

(1998) MGS1 was released on PS1 due to its format. That being cd. The nature of the game could not of appeared on a N64 cart. As well as the obvious .. ps1 was number 1.
    - MGS1 also came out on pc as it made sense. Same cd format. Reach more of an audience. More revenue. Low cost to bring over.
    - (2001) MGS2 was naturally going to be on PS2 as its userbase was that format.
    - (November 2002) they released MGS2 substance on the xbox as a way of bringing MGS over. It flopped. Thus hurting MGS3 chances of doing the same.
    - (2004) Twin Snakes was developed for the GameCube. Nintendo's and Konami's way of trying to bring MGS over to nintendo. I reckon it didnt flop entirely. But wasnt as a money earner as they hoped because no further mgs game has been released for Nintendo until now (3ds mgs3)
    - (2004) MGS3 is released on the ps2. Never ported over as Substance was a flop on the xbox.

Konami did try to make MGS multiplatform. However, it didnt work out. So MGS4 was just on PS3. But :) they're up to their old tricks again ... they're trying to get into the xbox userbase with Metal Gear Rising.

MGS was never a Playstation exclusive. But its easy to see why people think that.

The way I always saw it (someone can point out if im wrong)

(1998) MGS1 was released on PS1 due to its format. That being cd. The nature of the game could not of appeared on a N64 cart. As well as the obvious .. ps1 was number 1.
    - MGS1 also came out on pc as it made sense. Same cd format. Reach more of an audience. More revenue. Low cost to bring over.
    - (2001) MGS2 was naturally going to be on PS2 as its userbase was that format.
    - (November 2002) they released MGS2 substance on the xbox as a way of bringing MGS over. It flopped. Thus hurting MGS3 chances of doing the same.
    - (2004) Twin Snakes was developed for the GameCube. Nintendo's and Konami's way of trying to bring MGS over to nintendo. I reckon it didnt flop entirely. But wasnt as a money earner as they hoped because no further mgs game has been released for Nintendo until now (3ds mgs3)
    - (2004) MGS3 is released on the ps2. Never ported over as Substance was a flop on the xbox.

Konami did try to make MGS multiplatform. However, it didnt work out. So MGS4 was just on PS3. But :) they're up to their old tricks again ... they're trying to get into the xbox userbase with Metal Gear Rising.

The only reason it flopped on other consoles was because they didnt just do a multiplatform release for the main games, if they had of released MGS3 on the PS2 and xbox it would have without a doubt been a success imo, although i dont think it would have been possible technically, MGS4 would have also been a success on teh xbox if it was released. Im looking forward to MGR tbh.

Magill wrote: »
    The only reason it flopped on other consoles was because they didnt just do a multiplatform release for the main games, if they had of released MGS3 on the PS2 and xbox it would have without a doubt been a success imo, although i dont think it would have been possible technically, MGS4 would have also been a success on teh xbox if it was released. Im looking forward to MGR tbh.
    On the contrary, I would have thought MGS2 would have been the bigger game given that it was coming off the back of MGS1?

As for MGS4, outside of the uncompressed audio and some video, it would have been entirely possible on the 360. The decision not to release it on the platform was purely a business one I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,349 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Part of the whole Raiden thing was the fact that you wanted to be Snake. But so did Raiden. You played as Snake in MGS1. Raiden played MGS1 as part of his VR training. You could do pretty much everything that Snake could do. But you weren't Snake. Nobody took Raiden seriously. People used and tricked Raiden. Snake regularly had to help and save Raiden. All the way throughout the game, you were constantly reminded that you weren't playing as Snake.

However, towards the end of the game when Raiden got the sword, you were no longer trying to be Snake. In the areas where Snake and Raiden fight through loads of soldiers, it's better to use the sword than use guns like Snake. It became more advantageous to stop trying to be Snake and to play as Raiden.

Personally, I think there'd be a lot less Raiden hate if it wasn't for Rose and most of their conversations.

And I definitely think Raiden redeemed himself in MGS4. His fights with Vamp, taking down several Gekkos. And MGS Rising will hopefully keep that momentum going.

As for the HD collection, an excuse to play MGS3 again? Yes please. I just pray it's the MGS3:Subsistence version with the 3D camera

• Advertisement

On the contrary, I would have thought MGS2 would have been the bigger game given that it was coming off the back of MGS1?

As for MGS4, outside of the uncompressed audio and some video, it would have been entirely possible on the 360. The decision not to release it on the platform was purely a business one I'd imagine.

Yeah it would have, but it wasnt released multiplatform was it, substance was released on the xbox like a year after MGS2, by then the hype was gone.

And yeah like i said, it wouldnt have been possible, i think you're forgetting just how much cutscenes were actually in MGS4 ! :D You'd be switching discs every 30 mins :D

Just messing, like i said, i wasnt sure if that was the reason it was never ported to the 360.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,934 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope that this does go ahead but that Konami don't touch the gameplay or story. Twin Snakes was an ok game but ruined by the addition of MGS2 features that made the game a breeze and absolutely terrible over the top cutscenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Magill wrote: »
    And yeah like i said, it wouldnt have been possible, i think you're forgetting just how much cutscenes were actually in MGS4 ! :D You'd be switching discs every 30 mins :D

Just as bad as installing every 30 min :/

EDIT: Realistically, most of the cut scenes were in engine so they don't need that much space.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MGS3 in HD....

HD audio too...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I remeber when MGS2 was about to be released there was some serious hype surrounding it, every one was talking about it. I was about 10 or 11 when it came out but I remember preordering it months in advance, which was something I never did. I was never so pumped for a game. A friend had the demo that came with zone of the enders and I played it over and over thinking it was the best thing I ever played. Then when the game finially came out and I got to the part when raiden takes of the diving mask for the first time I was just thinking wtf is this wheres snake. It was a good game but I do understand why some people dont like it as completly changing the character was a very sneaky move on Kojimas part.

I fully understand people not liking raiden or preferring snake but IMO there's much more to MGS 2 then who the main character is or isn't, i really enjoyed the game, thought it was ahead of anything graphically and in terms of gameplay at the time it came out and all though some people didn't like the story i though it was really enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Hope this is true. Just to see this scene in HD :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I fully understand people not liking raiden or preferring snake but IMO there's much more to MGS 2 then who the main character is or isn't, i really enjoyed the game, thought it was ahead of anything graphically and in terms of gameplay at the time it came out and all though some people didn't like the story i though it was really enjoyable.

Hahaha. Man I played MGS2 on the PC, graphicly and gameplay wise it felt like I was playing a really dated game compared to what I was normally playing on pc at the time. For me it was like playing a sonic game to relive my mega drive days. I loved MGS on the ps1.

Sisko wrote: »
    Hahaha. Man I played MGS2 on the PC, graphicly and gameplay wise it felt like I was playing a really dated game compared to what I was normally playing on pc at the time. For me it was like playing a sonic game to relive my mega drive days. I loved MGS on the ps1.

zzzzzzzzZZZZZZ

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »

I have to completely disagree there. if you research and look at some reviews for the game you'll see that a lot of of websites and magazines (respected ones) considered it to be the best game out at that time in terms of both graphics and gameplay.

Advertisement