Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IndyCar 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

****. What kind of debris was it?

Just caught the clip, really doesn't look good :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

****. What kind of debris was it?

One of the commentators reviewing the replay thinks it's part of the nose cone. It was bouncing about on the road and then hit him straight on the head as he came around the bend. The sheer speed Justin was doing when he hit it sent the piece really high into the air. Nasty, nasty incident.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Unfortunately Justin Wilson has passed away

I remember joining an iracing session years ago and being in awe that Justin Wilson was there on the same track as me, tragic news to wake up to thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,063 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Very sad to see that news this morning, always seemed like down to earth nice guy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Very sad news this morning,Justin always came across as an all round nice guy and a very good race driver achieving success in average teams.

Justin Wilson RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Another sad day in Motorsport

RIP Justin Wilson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

These are the risks racing drivers take...and not everyone comes out the other side. Really horrible news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    7 deaths in 20 years in IndyCar. That's not a particularly great statistic in all fairness. A death in the sport every three years is more like what it was in F1 during the deadly 70's. Really awful to hear news of drivers passing away like this :(

Justin Wilsons death is a tragedy and the accident could have happened in any category of motorsport.

Motorsport is inherently dangerous, re Indycar : there have been 4 deaths since '00s in Indycar and of those 2 where during races - Justin & Dan Wheldon. The nature of Indycar racing was a factor in the Dan Wheldon tragedy but the Justin Wilson accident could have as easily as happened in Formula 1 - indeed there have been a few near misses in recent times.

Indycar have improved safety over the years - the Hans device and Safer Barrier are 2 examples of where Indycar has been to the forefront of safety advances.

As an aside Formula E held a minutes silence at the start of testing this morning at Donnington to remember Justin.

Justin Wilson RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Such a sad day yesterday. Watching the stream I could see after the initial accident Justin wasn't moving and couldn't understand why, didn't think he was involved until they showed the replay.

Coming from the same city as Justin I've been wanting him to make the headlines again but not at all in this way.

Was lucky enough to meet him in Fontana two years ago, he was just stood there talking to people whereas some drivers headed straight back to their RVs.

Am out here in CA at the moment, have tickets for Sonoma this weekend, really sad it's going to be a sombre affair instead of the big showdown of previous years. Much like Rockingham after Zanardis accident (and 9/11)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Turns out Justin was an organ donor, and has helped 6 people through his passing.

It doesn't help the pain for his family, friends and colleagues, but shows the impact of a passing can have a silver lining.

What time is the race at?

Gintonious wrote: »
    Turns out Justin was an organ donor, and has helped 6 people through his passing.

It doesn't help the pain for his family, friends and colleagues, but shows the impact of a passing can have a silver lining.
    I hope we've all made it clear to our families that we want the same should the worst happen.

What time is the race at?

Says 2pm on my ticket. That would be plus 8 for my DVR.

Strange weekend so far, blistering heat on Friday. Bearable today.

Nice to see the Union Jack at half mast across from the grandstand.
    Stunning views from above Turn 2, can see for miles.

Good support races, the sound from the Bentleys and SLS's is incredible. They mentioned you could watch online somewhere.

Interesting race ahead. The wind can change here which is a game changer. Most people here want Rahal to win. My money's on JPM, think he deserves it, although an outside bet on Dixon if he gets lucky with strategy.

Lovely tribute to Justin Wilson before the final race. And it was heartwarming to hear them play God Save the Queen while showing his flag of the UK flying at half mast.

Didn't see the race in listings earlier so missed that, see it on now so wlil catch the start:)

Montoya likes this track, or at least I remember him doing very well on it in NASCAR.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Montoya likes this track, or at least I remember him doing very well on it in NASCAR.

One of the few highlights of his years in Nascar, him winning winning his first Nascar race back in '07

Some messy pitstops there, lucky the air hose wasn't ripped up

• Advertisement

It doesn't seem that long ago so I had to check Wiki and you're right! That's madness, and the succeeding years just went downhill from there unfortunately. It seems if he changes race series, he drives really well.

might be busy pit lane

And long time since Montoya won a championshp, he would have been about 23 when he won CART championship

Exciting race, especially passes in turn 2, Montoya on the back foot now

This could go anyway...14 to go.

JPM needs to make up 3 places from 8th to make a difference and win.

ok in 6th with 1 place to go with 5 laps left, 3 secs behind!

Slightly disappointed with that result :( Can I blame double points
    Oh well, at least the racing was good

Double points sucks, just like getting a point for leading a lap.

God what an amazing weekend.
    Sad its over. Fantastic track, views are stunning.

The race itself, very strange. It seemed to fall into Dixon's lap and he was running away with it. Jpm and Will couldn't seem to pass many and it stayed that way.
    Got some awesome photos, ended up right behind the drivers line up at the start next to the trophy.

Disappointing season really. The best race was hated by the drivers and we lost a great great guy. Was a bit choked when they played our anthem today and the 25 in the sky..wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Its been a challenging couple of weeks for Indycar, the tragedy of Pocono and then a great race from Sonoma.

The Pocono race was riveting but for all the wrong reasons, there was someone in the wall at high speed every 20 laps, when you see drivers going eight wide into turn one on the restart you have to ask if everything is right. The Commentators were very excited through out by all the action but it was clear straight away that something was badly wrong when Wilson didn't get out of his car and that only got worse when we saw the footage of the accident.

It is awful to lose someone like Wilson, universally loved in the paddock and a high achiever in the sport. Of course the true tragedy is for his family, the entire thing has left me deeply saddened. I hope it never happens again.

To me its clear that Indycar need to ask difficult questions about racing on ovals, speeds at Pocono were in excess of 230 mph, it can't be seriously said that a race that sees as many serious incidents as Pocono did is safe enough. Looking back over the course of the season, Ryan Briscoe is lucky to be alive as is James Hinchcliffe and amazingly Helio walked away form one of the most frightening crashes of recent years. I think the issue needs to be addressed immediately, I don't want to see them leave the ovals but its clear to me that the speed of the cars currently exceeds the capacity of either the cars or the the drivers, it might be time for Indy to introduce restrictor plates or something similar.

Thankfully the race from Sonoma was a fitting end to the season, dramatic for all the right reasons with a dark horse championship winner. Even my wife was on the edge of her seat for the last 10 laps.

I don't know what Indycar need to do next season, I'm glad to see that they are going back to Road America and I hope this is the start of them getting back to the classic courses but there can be now doubt that the series is in trouble, the 2015 season was just five months long and attendances were dismal. Indycar needs to get back to a position of relevance in the US, most people here are barely even aware of its existence.

Advertisement