Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Valley [BBC 1] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well if it is, then apologies for my incorrect assumption!

When Series 1 ended there was lots of speculation about a second series, I just presumed that's what the poster was flagging.

I agree 100% that it was one of the best things on the telly last year.

Well there is going to be a second series but it'll be on BBC before it's on RTÉ. It was on around May/June last year so I assume it'll be back around then this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It was on around May/June last year so I assume it'll be back around then this year too.
    I think it'll be much later in the year.. read an interview very recently with Sally Wainwright (creator) who said she's only finished writing the fourth episode and she's finding it difficult given the grief 'Broadchurch' got (and deservedly so) for it's second series.

EDIT: Here we go, 25th February from DigitalSpy:
    Happy Valley writer Sally Wainwright has admitted that she is feeling the "pressure" whilst writing the show's second series.

The crime drama was recommissioned for six new episodes after its highly successful first series last year.

Speaking at a BAFTA Screenwriting event in London, she said: "It's the first time I've felt pressure actually writing the second series of Happy Valley, because the first series was massively successful in a way I haven't experienced before.

"I've written three of the six episodes so far. I think it's really good. The test will be writing the last three episodes, and it's about maintaining that quality throughout the whole series. You need a clear focus so the audience feel that they're in good hands. It's scary but great."

Asked about the mixed response to Broadchurch's recent second series, Wainwright said that it is "weird" that the Chris Chibnall series struggled to live up to expectations.

"The thing with a new season is that you want to get it right. You want to make something that is worth watching, you don't just want to churn something out just for the sake of it," she explained.

"If something has been recommissioned it's because it's good. You've got to work hard to make sure the new series is just as good. Second series are often better than first series.

"It's weird that Broadchurch's second series hasn't appeared to have been as successful as the first.

"Second series are often better because of confidence. You've got a second series because the first one worked, so you're in a good place and your actors are in a good place.

"They tend to have a lot more about them because your characters can develop."

^Poor lady. We were all worried about a second series before Broadchurch S2 even aired. Her other show on ITV, Scott & Bailey varied in quality a lot between it's series.

^Poor lady. We were all worried about a second series before Broadchurch S2 even aired. Her other show on ITV, Scott & Bailey varied in quality a lot between it's series.
    Yeah, she also had her other series 'Last Tango In Halifax' (also starring Sarah Lancashire) finish it's third series just over a month ago... so busy time for her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm behind having only now watched the second episode. I liked it. It's got a core family dynamic. The local scum are mostly just that and the main story's got enough impetus to carry things forward. Looking forward to watching more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It's excellent. Loved it. More than a couple nods to Fargo but that's no bad thing.

What Wainwright fails to realise when discussing why the second series of Broadchurch has been received so poorly is that much like Happy Valley it was never intended to be an ongoing series. Both it and Happy Valley were obviously intended as one offs but the critical and commercial acclaim both received has resulted in us getting another series and neither is needed. I watched the first episode of Broadchurch series 2 and never went back, it was very much a show going through the motions and the whole thing felt redundant. I hope that Happy Valley is more successful but I'd be just as happy were they to leave things as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Just watched this on Netflix & absolutely loved it, one of the best dramas I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,038 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Skid X wrote: »
    Good to see RTE picking this up.

I wonder is it starting at 10.15pm rather than 8.15pm? That would be pre-watershed (and clashing with the Soaps on RTE1)

Yes 10.15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Just noticed RTE are showing this excellent drama, would highly recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

on RTE tonight I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

This is a great show but it's fairly hard to watch at times .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Its not as good as I first thought on second viewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Jaysus, episode 3...the scene with the Mini. :( :eek:

Finished it this evening. Certainly the show is unapologetic about not pulling its punches. Sarah Lancashire can hold her head high here. Very much understand the concerns about a second season. I'll be back, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

BBC3 showed it on Saturday Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

watching this on RTE1, I don't how I missed it on BBC!

Very gripping. Sarah Lancashire and Siobhan Finneran (Ex - Downton) are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

tvreview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,038 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a646593/james-norton-will-return-to-happy-valley-for-series-2

Prequel or cameo for maybe a prison visit, cant see how Tommy will be back

OT but James looks very like Simon Baker from The Mentalist

Good news kids!

Season 2 starts the 9th February!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/faqs/happy_valley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Im really looking forward to second series of happy valley

I was wondering where they'd pick it up, would it be a completely new story or a continuation of the first one.

Looks like it's a continuation...

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/692026320323158018

double post

Hmmm.. probably would have preferred a new story rather than the continuation of "Tommy Lee Jones" and his nuttiness..

Basq wrote: »
    Hmmm.. probably would have preferred a new story rather than the continuation of "Tommy Lee Jones" and his nuttiness..

It could be that that's just the bit they're using to draw people back in. It might be the first episode deals with the court case while there's a new story brewing. I don't mind either way as long as it's up to the same standard as series 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Remember in the first episode she pulled the former Bill Chief Super (some local bigbig in Happy Valley) for smoking weed in the car.

0ouEdyi.png

And a free pass was given. It went nowhere plotwise in season one. I think that was a nod to future seasons. Instead of local lowlifes being exploited by the middle classes - we may be into corruption by the elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Bump, back tomorrow night

Not sure this longer trailer was posted.

Looks like it is a whole new story and the stuff from the first series is just kind of hanging over it all.

Also looks like Anne is a police officer now?

• Advertisement

Not sure this longer trailer was posted.

Looks like it is a whole new story and the stuff from the first series is just kind of hanging over it all.

Also looks like Anne is a police officer now?

Advertisement