Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭grolschmore

RossN wrote: »
    Has anyone done a Jailbreak/Unlock using Mac? If so, do you use the power button in the process?
    My power button isn't working, so wondering if it can be done on a friend's Mac!
    I've only ever done it on a PC, and you do need to use the Power button a few times, so rules it out for me!
    Thanks.

power button on mac, or iphone?
    if its mac no, if its iphone yes but you can get around it using recboot!

how on a pc do you need a power button to jailbreak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RossN

power button on mac, or iphone?
    if its mac no, if its iphone yes but you can get around it using recboot!

how on a pc do you need a power button to jailbreak?
    I did my last u/l & j/b using PC and Redsn0w I think.
    Have to hold power button (on iPhone) for 2 seconds, then hold home button, then release power while still holding home and it puts the phone into a different mode. Was part of the tutorial on the iClarified website.
    Worked a treat but my power button worked back then, and my iPhone is still on OS2!
    So I can use recboot? What's that?
    Thanks for the info.

I did my last u/l & j/b using PC and Redsn0w I think.
    Have to hold power button (on iPhone) for 2 seconds, then hold home button, then release power while still holding home and it puts the phone into a different mode. Was part of the tutorial on the iClarified website.
    Worked a treat but my power button worked back then, and my iPhone is still on OS2!
    So I can use recboot? What's that?
    Thanks for the info.

http://www.sebby.net/659-released-recboot-1-0-2/

its forces your phone in and out of recovery mode. so if using pwange tool or redsnow put the phone into recovery before you use the tools.

Great. I'll check it out. Thanks.

http://www.sebby.net/659-released-recboot-1-0-2/

its forces your phone in and out of recovery mode. so if using pwange tool or redsnow put the phone into recovery before you use the tools.
    Turns out it is DFU mode I was talking about.
    I'm partially through the jailbreak process but need to be able to get it into DFU mode.
    There is a DFU.exe, but it isn't working.
    Has anyone been able to get into DFU without using the power/sleep button?
    This is with Redsn0w.

• Advertisement

Turns out it is DFU mode I was talking about.
    I'm partially through the jailbreak process but need to be able to get it into DFU mode.
    There is a DFU.exe, but it isn't working.
    Has anyone been able to get into DFU without using the power/sleep button?

Use recboot to put it into dfu mode on a mac!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

guys will erase all settings make me lose my jailbreak and unlock.

Use recboot to put it into dfu mode on a mac!
    I'm on Windows XP.
    Seems to be much better options for a Mac user!
    I'm also on iTunes 9.2 so can't use Spirit (I believe).

I used Blackra1n to jailbreak and unloack. I was getting errors about missing ASL.dll, but copying the exe as described in the link below sorted the problem.
    http://blackra1n.org/2010/03/error-blackra1n-asl-dll-is-not-found/
    Easy when you eventually know how!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Appleguy

Can the iPhone 3gs with the Old bootrom be jailbroken on 4.0.1 if its never been jailbroken before?

Or do you need to have those blobs?

• Advertisement

I'm on Windows XP.
    Seems to be much better options for a Mac user!
    I'm also on iTunes 9.2 so can't use Spirit (I believe).

it does the same on pc. i thought you said you were using a mac. use redsn0w or custom firmware. or wait for new spirt?

Appleguy wrote: »
    Can the iPhone 3gs with the Old bootrom be jailbroken on 4.0.1 if its never been jailbroken before?

Or do you need to have those blobs?

no you need your blobs saved. new spirit out soon will jb your device.

guys will erase all settings make me lose my jailbreak and unlock.

yes and it will put ur phone in a constant boot loop. DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!

use restore in itunes and then jb again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads, going to buy the iPhone 4 off the apple store. It's 600 euro for the 16gb one. If I buy this could I immediately put my Meteor sim into it and use it?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads, going to buy the iPhone 4 off the apple store. It's 600 euro for the 16gb one. If I buy this could I immediately put my Meteor sim into it and use it?

Thanks.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Yes

You will need a tool to cut it down (can get them online) or ask meteor for a micro-sim (however, I don't know if they do them).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Just got a iPhone 3gs today and jailbroke tonight at www.jailbreakme.com, now have Cydia installed. Happy days.

Now anyone want to share the best of cydia with a cydia noob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Could anyone recommend me the best sim cutter? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Lads on 3.13 baseband 05.12.01 (3GS iphone) jailbroken with spirit

If I upgrade to 4.01 via itunes can I unlock via ultrasnow or does the upgrade change my baseband to an unlockable version?

Cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 53,846 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I read today that you can unlock the new Iphone which atm doesnt really interest me but in the same article it mentions you can unlock the ipod touch

iv an ipod touch 3rd gen so can the latest jailbreak unlock that and if so any instructions please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

Hi guys, I've made a balls. I have a 3.1.2. 3gs unlocked and jailbroken and something possessed me to update to 4.0.1. So I downloaded the firmware and when I hit shift and update followed by selecting the firmware, I got an error. So i hit shift and restore followed by the firmware. Now unfortunately I have the phone stuck on the activation screen and I can't do anything. I can't go back to 3.1.2. or anything because I get an error. Anyone got any ideas what I do now?

Please? Anyone! I've been trying loads of things but still getting errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Hey guys. I have a US 3Gs phone and need to get a 'Phonebook Sim card' to let me activate the phone so I can jailbreak and unlock it as you can see from the video on the following page :

http://www.redmondpie.com/activate-iphone-4-3gs-3g-without-original-sim-video/

So, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction. I don't mind ordering it from the States or wherever as long as I can use it to activate the phone.

Thanks guys.

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

Guys, have just found the SIM I was after at the following address:

http://www.phonebookcard.com/buy-now.html

Placed the order and will let you know how I get on once I have received it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Reganovski wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've made a balls. I have a 3.1.2. 3gs unlocked and jailbroken and something possessed me to update to 4.0.1. I can't go back to 3.1.2. or anything because I get an error. Anyone got any ideas what I do now?

There is always a way.

If you have an O2 phone you need an O2 sim to activate it ditto for vodafone etc. or follow the post above. That will get you activated from 4.0.1. Then visit jailbreakme.com to jailbreak followed by unlock.

Before you downgrade to a previous version you must have the SBSH files (blobs) saved by Cydia. So if you did press the 'Make my life easier' button in Cydia previously then you can downgrade.

If you didn't save the blobs there are guides on iclarified.com that might help but I've not tested myself so can't comment on the success rate. Involves using recboot or irecovery to get the phone out of recovery mode at the end of the restore process.

Or you can try the custom methods using the likes of Ultrasn0w that can include the ability to activate the phone as part of the process. Check the dev-team.org site for info on that.

Cheers

hshortt wrote: »
    There is always a way.

If you have an O2 phone you need an O2 sim to activate it ditto for vodafone etc. or follow the post above. That will get you activated from 4.0.1. Then visit jailbreakme.com to jailbreak followed by unlock.

Before you downgrade to a previous version you must have the SBSH files (blobs) saved by Cydia. So if you did press the 'Make my life easier' button in Cydia previously then you can downgrade.

If you didn't save the blobs there are guides on iclarified.com that might help but I've not tested myself so can't comment on the success rate. Involves using recboot or irecovery to get the phone out of recovery mode at the end of the restore process.

Or you can try the custom methods using the likes of Ultrasn0w that can include the ability to activate the phone as part of the process. Check the dev-team.org site for info on that.

Cheers

Cheers hshortt. I got the iPhone from US so cant use a SIM to activate it. I defo had a blob saved by Cydia and I've followed the instructions on iclarified but unfortunately no luck. I keep getting this 3194 error....can't seem to get past this :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Reganovski wrote: »
    Cheers hshortt. I got the iPhone from US so cant use a SIM to activate it. I defo had a blob saved by Cydia and I've followed the instructions on iclarified but unfortunately no luck. I keep getting this 3194 error....can't seem to get past this :mad:

Buy a AT&T sim off eBay

Buy a AT&T sim off eBay

That might take a week/10 days........I'm now consistantly getting a 1015 error :mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Updated the OP with latest info. Please let me know if I've left something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

1015 error can be overcome, how's your German? Link

• Advertisement

hshortt wrote: »
    1015 error can be overcome, how's your German? Link

Cheers hshortt.....I actually sorted it last night.
    If you have that error, just run blackrain and it will sort. Only thing was that then I didnt have cydia installed so i couldnt unlock my phone. I'm sure I'll sort it this evening when I give it another go....at least now its now on 3.1.2.

Advertisement