Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Galway City Ring Road [planning decision pending]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Article in today's Galway City Tribune:
    Shock as Minister orders halt to work on city bypass
    Gormley demands 'no more progress' in eleventh hour decision

You'd swear they were starting construction work tomorrow ffs!

Some of the article is available online, need to subscribe online or buy a copy of the Tribune for the full article.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This is absolutely shocking. I can't believe what Gormley and O'Brolchain have done to damage Galway with their shortsighted blinkered attitude. They are environmental fundamentalists, who don't care what damage their actions cause. They tout environmental concerns when it is clear that they have neither the intellect nor the sensitivity to take other people's opinions on board to ensure a balanced and rational conclusion to matters.

I'm 35 years on this earth. I've never been involved in politics. That will now change. O'Brolchain, Gormley et al have to be removed before they kill off Galway. Their ilk nearly succeeded for years by scuppering the plans on Mutton Island (sewerage plant) - they have to be stopped before they do further damage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Well that's O'Brolchain done for in the locals...

Robbo wrote: »
    Well that's O'Brolchain done for in the locals...

And thank God/Allah/Buddha whoever. I will actively campaign against him. I would pay money (not to him obviously!) to have him call to my door on campaign.

My problem is, in going against him, who can be supported? Has any local or national politician (and don't say Fahy :-) ) done anything positive to support the bypass?

I agree completely churchview.

O'Brolchain especially gets on my nerves. He hasn't a clue what he's talking about and he won't ever listen to anyone else's comments.

:mad:

• Advertisement

On the way to work on Wednesday and Thursday (yesterday) there was a tail back from the Menlo Park RAB to the traffic lights at Dunnes/Aldi in Westside (2.6kms, bumper to bumper, 4 lanes) - I joined the queue at Dunnes/Aldi in Westside for the Menlo Park RAB, I'm sure it stretched a good bit further back through Westside and up in to Salthill.

Thankfully(!), it was clear after the Menlo Park RAB and it only took a couple of mins to get to Ballybrit from there. But, all in all, it took 45 mins to make a 6.5km journey.

I know the Novena is on this week but, to be perfectly honest, traffic normally is barely better at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Article in this week's Galway Independent.
    Galway County Manager, Martina Moloney has said that all issues with the Department of the Environment regarding the Outer City Bypass have been resolved and that work on the project will recommence immediately.

In a letter to the council last month, The Minister for the Environment, John Gormley ordered an immediate halt to work on the previously approved 15km stretch of the Galway City Outer Bypass across the Corrib to the N59 junction.

However, after extensive consultations between the Department for the Environment and Ms Moloney those impediments have been removed.

"The halting of the project was a non-issue," said Ms Moloney. "We received the minister's letter and replied immediately to it. The Department [for the Environment] do not intend in halting our progress any longer. There are no delays on foot of that letter.

"Our intent now is to proceed with the bypass as originally approved. We have received €2.9 million from the National Roads Authority for the construction and the project will restart immediately."

The Outer City Bypass has been subject to numerous delays already and two judicial reviews into the road are currently in progress.

An Bord Pleanala has already halted approval for the section of the road from the N59 to Furbo, but had approved the 15km section across the Corrib.

Read in The City Tribune that they will start issueing Cumpulsory Purchase Orders soon (as in the next couple of weeks) for the approved 15km section. They're also going to look for an alternative route for the section that wasn't approved.

Can't find the article online and my copy of the Tribune was thrown out so I can't be any more detailed about what the article said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

They can issue CPOs all they want, this isnt a PPP and as such has little to no hope of being funded anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

They can issue CPOs all they want, this isnt a PPP and as such has little to no hope of being funded anytime soon.

Agreed ... but I'm in two minds about this.

My non-cynical mind says that, at least if they issue the CPOs and have all the other stuff done, then at least they'll be in a position to start it when things get better.

My cynical mind says that issuing CPOs gives the appearance of making progress, when in reality, there's feck-alll chance of this being started in the next few years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The Green party are likely to get hammered at the next general election unless they pull out of government very soon.

Hopefully the next government will revive this project and build the Outer Bypass from the eastern side of the city to the N59 at the very minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm amazed that a section of the route was refused permission because of bog cotton, County galway has a lot of bogs, most of them have bog cotton, what the feck was so important about preserving it near the city then:confused: It's certainly not rare around here.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Maybe the Galway Outer Bypass could be incorporated as a hard toll element of the M17/M18 PPP scheme - especially if the unapproved section from the N59 to Barna is sorted out (re-routed etc).

What does anyone else think?

Bumping this.

No, there is no information on construction, and AFAIK this WONT be incorporated into the M17/18 PPP as thats 57km already and nearly as long as the M3.

What I have noticed is this. Sanity (of a sort) prevailing and the NRA thinking of a decent junction?

Old plan for the GCOB and Galway - Ballinasloe junction. Awful bloody mess of a thing. TWO ROUNDABOUTS to go from Galway to Dublin ->

old.jpg

Plan I've dug up from the M17/18 documents (Some GCOB ground work was done as part of technical surveys BUT THERE ARE NO PLANS THAT I KNOW OF TO BUILD THE THING AS PART OF THIS PPP)

new.jpg

Sorry for the huge pics but you lose too much detail if they're small.

If this is right it'll mean about 500m of the new Galway - Ballinasloe scheme will have to be carved up to make this. ****ty as that is, I'd rather have a decent junction than one that was destined to be overcapacity from day one.

Took a bloody hour to get from Salthill to UCHG the other day. Its ridiculous. I predict gridlock for the Volvo Ocean Race, I'm out of Galway for a week of that anyway.

Edit: Have another ->

new2.jpg

If this is right it'll mean about 500m of the new Galway - Ballinasloe scheme will have to be carved up to make this. ****ty as that is, I'd rather have a decent junction than one that was destined to be overcapacity from day one.

Took a bloody hour to get from Salthill to UCHG the other day. Its ridiculous. I predict gridlock for the Volvo Ocean Race, I'm out of Galway for a week of that anyway.

On the way home from work this evening (and every Friday) Westbound traffic on the N6 was backed from the roundabout at Oranmore to the turn off for Athenry at Derrydonnell [that's a 4.3km queue for just one single roundabout on my journey the whole way across Galway City; throw in queues for 8 other RABs and a few sets of traffic lights on my cross town journey and you can imagine what a nightmare it was/is].

I think when the Galway-Ballinasloe scheme is finished there will be a much improved situation in the evenings are Doughiska and Oranmore because the bulk of traffic will be able to use the slip onto the M6 from the existing N6 DC. It will be horrific in the mornings with most traffic having to use the RAB. I think there could be tailbacks of well over 6kms there some mornings and Friday evenings until such time as the bypass is built.

Next week will be a nightmare. I think the roundabout (which is being upgraded to traffic light controlled junction) will be closed to through traffic. This is going to send thousands of extra cars onto the already overly congested N6 and N17. I think I'm going to stay late in work everyday next week so by the time I get back to Galway in the evenings the worst of the rush hour traffic will have passed. I passed through the new junctions earlier today - it's coming along well and I think it will be a lot better than the RAB when complete. It's just a pity they decided to use those hideous steel traffic light poles, they should have used nicely painted black ones.
    It would be nice to see even a few Gardai out at rush hour next week diverting traffic at the main junctions but I won't hold my breath.

Not sure what it will be like for the Ocean Race. In recent years I found traffic during race week to be better than the rest of the year. There are thousands of extra cars on the road during race week but the Gardai are at every major RAB/junction directing traffic and it makes a massive difference. It could be the same for the Ocean Race.
    It does annoy me that the Gardai can't do this more frequently throughout the year or that Galway City Council can't/won't even hire a few traffic wardens. It seems that Mr T Ourist coming to the races or Ocean Race is viewed as far more important than motorists residing in Galway. God forbid any tourists should have to sit in a traffic jam but for the rest of the year Galway people can eff right off.

[Article]Majority of cars in city have driver only
    50% of workers travel from outside City
    MORE than 27,000 people drive to work in Galway City every day – and only a fraction of them share their car.
    A new report, which also shows that just under 2,000 people go to their place of work by public transport, highlights the source of much of the city’s traffic congestion problems. The huge numbers of cars on the roads with just a single occupant is starkly illustrated by the fact that only 2,582 get a lift to work . . . less than a tenth of the number who drive.
    And the case for improvements in commuter services into the city, including park and ride facilities, is strengthened by the numbers travelling to work here from outlying areas of the county and further afield.
    Almost 19,000 workers – which is nearly half the total working population of the city – come in from outside the city, according to the report, A Profile of the Working Population of Large Towns, which is based on the returns from the 2006 Census.
    In addition to the three out of...

http://www.galwaynews.ie/7386-majority-cars-city-have-driver-only

[Article]Fears that by-pass may be back to square one
    Fri 1st May 2009
    Warning that €340m scheme could bite the dust

Fears are mounting that the Galway City Outer By-Pass may be back to square one following a Judicial review into an Bord Pleanala’s decision to approve part of the €340million road project.
    Minister for the Environment, John Gormley has appointed the Attorney General to represent him in the case scheduled for the High Court in Dublin for June 30.
    There are growing concerns that the case taken by Hands Across the Corrib Ltd and environmentalist, Peter Sweetman against the State and An Bord Pleanala might mean another Oral Hearing would have to be take place.
    The last Oral Hearing into Galway City Outer By-Pass lasted almost a month – the Judicial Review hearing is expected to last four days, though this could be a conservative estimate.
    Work on the project, which plans to join the new Dublin-Galway motorway with Connemara with the inclusion of a fifth bridge over the Corrib, was due to start this year, but it now looks like the project may have to go right back to the drawing board, delaying it even further, if not forever.
    Yesterday, Deputy Frank Fahey...
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/7365-fears-bypass-may-be-back-square-one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

By not taking into account a railway line for which there is no funding anyway it appears that every Bord Pleanála decision on Galway Roads is flawed and that all consents are legally invalid

Welcome to the land of Brian !

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/11813
    Brian Guckian, an independent researcher into sustainable transport and a campaigner, has analysed the report used by the planning board to give permission for the scheme on March 6 last and has said that it did not comply with the provisions of the EU directive on environmental impact assessment (EIA).

Mr Guckian found that the inspector had not carried out an objective assessment of the proposal, nor had he taken account of alternative, sustainable transport modes such as rail, coach, and bus. It was also found that the scheme would not reduce Co2 emissions, contrary to national policy on climate change.

“On the basis of the inadequate inspector's report, the Board's decision to grant permission for the proposed scheme was legally unsafe and had to be overturned. The CPOs for the proposed scheme were also invalid as the process leading to their approval had been found to be seriously deficient,” he said.

He did not ask for a Claregalway Bypass either
    Mr Guckian stated that he was seeking a stay on all road scheme approvals pending a statutory inquiry into the operations of An Bord Pleanala. He has indicated that local people, including those affected by the invalid CPO process, could petition the European Parliament regarding the M17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Oh, joy.

Galway's own Salafia. Any petition could surely be thwarted by a counter petition.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Would these petitions be written in the crayons which he is so fond of?

Does he actually have any track record bar producing a nice looking diagram for various pressure groups and assorted nuts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Stupido

I wouldn't worry.

They challange all oral hearings with this (EIA does not conform to EU law blah blah blah).

Galway isn't a special case.

God protect us from these nutjobs!

churchview wrote: »
    God protect us from these nutjobs!

Too late . They have gotten to the High Court now.

Peter Sweetman who is associated with The friends of The Irish environment has challenged the remaining portion of the bypass ( east of the Corrib ) .

An outline of Sweetmans particular case is here , it has now gone legal.

http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/cmsfiles/files/library/galwayby.pdf

Essentially it concerns the non application of EU Environment Directives or an incorrect application .

However the most important portion of the case is that the Chief State Solicitor has advised the department of the environment on aspects of the non application of directives and also wrote to An Bord Pleanala on the same subject ..

While advice to a minister is confidential the exact same advice given to an Bord Pleanala is open to FoI .

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0529/1224247669111.html
    THE STATE believes An Bord Pleanála has given invalid permission for a €317 million Galway ring road, possibly exposing the State to legal action by the European Commission, the Commercial Court heard yesterday.

and
    The judge said the case brought by Mr Sweetman against the board and the State, with Galway City Council and Galway County Council as notice parties, had thrown up a “hornet’s nest” and exposed a split between the State and the board on interpretation of the habitats directive and Article 30 of the EC (Natural Habitats) Regulations and other issues.

and most tellingly
    The chief State solicitor informed the board ( that is Bord Pleanala) that the existence of a consent which breached EU law exposed the State to an action for infringement by the European Commission and to risk of injunctive/interim measures and heavy fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Magic land where the government aren't responsible for anything and it is always the fault of someone else who the government can pretend to not be responsible for.

Hello - if the EU is going to fine the *state* then it is up to the *state* to ensure the rules are applied! It's no good the government blaming An Bord Pleanala as if they're under the authority of some other state!

My heart always sinks when this thread gets bumped, because its ALWAYS something bad. This road needs to be built NOW. Galway is at an utter standstill on account of the Ocean Race. Its taking people a ridiculous length of time to cross the city and it needs to be bypassed NOW.

The appeal is highly technical and really says that ANBordP are not weighing EU Directives properly in their decisions , that is any decision but the Galway Bypass is the particular case to prove this .

Getting disclosure of advice only recently given AnBordP by the Chief State Solicitor is pretty damning .

I strongly suspect that there was a leak or a nod to Sweetman apropos some Chief State Solicitor advice given to the Minister of the Environment himself at some stage .

He certainly knew what he was looking for , it is a smoking gun and there is no doubt about it :(

I do have a resolution part of the issue but I would not tell a greaseball like Fahey about it .

Is there any class of a pro Bypass lobby groups of any sort or do I have to set one up FFS :( ?? :(

My heart always sinks when this thread gets bumped, because its ALWAYS something bad. This road needs to be built NOW. Galway is at an utter standstill on account of the Ocean Race. Its taking people a ridiculous length of time to cross the city and it needs to be bypassed NOW.

I have to laugh when I see Fianna Fail candidate election posters saying the bypass needs to be built now and that they will oversee that happening.

I really hope that candidate calls to my door so I can tell him that the bypass needed to be fully opened over 5 years ago, not maybe starting work on a part of it in the next few years, with the whole thing probably being at the very least 10 years away from full opening. His party had plenty of chances to deliver it and they didn't, they failed big time.
    If Fianna Fail were serious about it they would have set aside funding for the entire project back when this country had more money than sense.

Took a few photos while sitting in traffic (:rolleyes:) on the way home on Friday. It's quite difficult to get good photos in heavy traffic because the cars immediately around you obscure the rest of the road. Here's the best I could manage:

First two are looking back East along the Westbound queue for the Menlo Park RAB on the N6:
    th_P1010611.jpg th_P1010613.jpg

Next two are looking West at the Westbound queue for the Menlo Pk Roundabout:
    th_P1010609.jpg th_P1010610.jpg

Galway Shopping Centre Roundabout:
    th_P1010614.jpg th_P1010615.jpg

Seamus Quirke Road in Westside. This road was finally supposed to be upgraded to DC this year but funding has been cut and the badly needed upgrade has been postponed yet again. :mad:
    th_P1010618.jpg th_P1010619.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Proper DC or S4 like some bits of the Road of the Tribes (terrible name for a ring road...) are?

• Advertisement

Proper DC. I think if/when it ever gets upgraded a concrete step barrier will be used in the median.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement