Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beers - March 10th. Venue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

March 17th - Saturday
    What about that pub under Stephens green shopping centre? Think its called o sheas or o sullivans. I've only been in there a few times and not on a sat night. Would that be any good? I know it'll be hard to find anywhere that isn't heaving on a sat but maybe a place that's at least ok till 10ish.... ?
    It's that pub down stairs if that helps.

Also theres dandelion on the green too - anyone know what that's like on a sat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

March 2nd - Friday
    Most likely I can/will make it.

Can't really comment on the venue. I haven't been to any of the ones mentioned, so I will come wherever we decide to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Chocolate

March 16th - Friday
    Another question. What time will we be meeting at? From my own point of view, and presumably other newbies, I'd like to be able to at least get familiar with some regulars and have a decent amount of good conversation before it gets stupid loud and heaving, and all anyone can hear is 'WHAAA??' across a table multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

March 16th - Friday
    usually 8 is the starting time, but history has shown that people don't show up until an hour or more later, which is very annoying.

(pet peeve of mine!! :o)

March 17th - Saturday
    usually 8 is the starting time, but history has shown that people don't show up until an hour or more later, which is very annoying.

(pet peeve of mine!! :o)
    Ah tardiness!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Rick_

For some reason, that just made me think of this (skip to 0:11 in the video)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

hate exclusion bs like this, are straight people not aloud to make friends to?

March 16th - Friday
    hate exclusion bs like this, are straight people not aloud to make friends to?

Of course, and if you would like to come along please do. Nobody is "not allowed" to come.

We just organise meet ups here that specifically include gay people since it's the LGBT board. It's also much harder for LGBT people to make friends with other LGBT people, because we are a minority. The people posting here have stated as much.

Pretty much every other forum on boards organises their own meet ups/ beers. Those beers are generally meant for users who frequent that forum- you'll get a lot of cyclists at the cycling board beers, you'll get a lot of hairy people (;))at the Facial Hair and Hats meetups, and I don't doubt that the Ladies Lounge beers will be mostly female. Hence, you'll pretty much exclusively find the folks who'll head to the LGBT beers will be gay, bi or trans.

March 16th - Friday
    What exclusion? There's been no mention of exclusion before your post. This is a night out within this forum, and although being a newbie means I can't speak for the longer term participants, all those who participate are welcome. If you're not a regular member here, it doesn't mean that you're excluded, it just means we don't know that you exist, or are interested in joining in. A vote in the poll when it was open would have helped.

Aahhh... penny dropping time. Is it because it says at the top 'This poll is closed'? That's not to exclude outsiders or 'straight' people, it's only because the timeframe on the poll when it was created has elapsed. No other reason. I don't think a poll can be made to exclude those outside a particular forum, anyway. If I've got it all wrong, then, my apologies. But maybe an explanation of what exclusion you think is being exercised would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

What exclusion? There's been no mention of exclusion before your post. This is a night out within this forum, and although being a newbie means I can't speak for the longer term participants, all those who participate are welcome. If you're not a regular member here, it doesn't mean that you're excluded, it just means we don't know that you exist, or are interested in joining in. A vote in the poll when it was open would have helped.

Aahhh... penny dropping time. Is it because it says at the top 'This poll is closed'? That's not to exclude outsiders or 'straight' people, it's only because the timeframe on the poll when it was created has elapsed. No other reason. I don't think a poll can be made to exclude those outside a particular forum, anyway. If I've got it all wrong, then, my apologies. But maybe an explanation of what exclusion you think is being exercised would be helpful.

I suppose I have to explain myself after getting two very nice replies. I have a slight anger problem with Bi women who tell me they are Bi. I have no interest in other people's sexuality at all. It is when they wear it as a badge of honour, a thing that makes them feel special. There is no reason to tell someone you are Bi even if they are in to you. You just make them worried that not only do I have to compete with all the other single men but your being told "I'm so special I can be anyone I want"

I just want people to stop bragging about being Bi. I say people, in my experience it is mostly women who brag about this. Maybe because they think this makes the men more interested in them. my head hurts now so i'm gona stop

also I am terribly lonely, so sorry for spamming in this thread. I really am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

March 16th - Friday
    I suppose I have to explain myself after getting two very nice replies. I have a slight anger problem with Bi women who tell me they are Bi. I have no interest in other people's sexuality at all. It is when they wear it as a badge of honour, a thing that makes them feel special. There is no reason to tell someone you are Bi even if they are in to you. You just make them worried that not only do I have to compete with all the other single men but your being told "I'm so special I can be anyone I want"

I just want people to stop bragging about being Bi. I say people, in my experience it is mostly women who brag about this. Maybe because they think this makes the men more interested in them. my head hurts now so i'm gona stop

also I am terribly lonely, so sorry for spamming in this thread. I really am.
    Seriously, deal with your own issues here before telling others how to act.

March 16th - Friday
    MellowToast, please don't bring threads off topic. This is not the place to be dealing with your issues with bisexual women. Feel free to post in PI or start a new thread here, but be aware, another post generalising behaviour from one or two people to "all bi people" will not be tolerated in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

aaaaaaaaaand back on track.

Im afraid I can't make it; I have a gig that night. :(

I hope you guys have fun though. I feel bad that I can't make it but I shouldn't be selfish and you're definitely in good hands with the likes of B&C going.

If any of my fellow March 10th casualties wants to go out one of the Fridays; Pantibar, drinks and chat then message me. If we scrounge up a party of 3 then we can have a mini-meet. And no; I won't be offended if you do want to meet but then change your mind if it turns out only two people are going.

I'll probably not be able to get to Dublin until Paddy's Day weekend like previously planned, but at any point over that weekend (Saturday and Sunday, possibly Monday) I'd be more than happy to meet up with any Boardsies who would like to. :)

March 17th - Saturday
    Is it looking like the tenth is a no goer for most now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

March 16th - Friday
    Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Is it looking like the tenth is a no goer for most now?

The 10th was voted for by;

40040D, azezil, baby and crumble, Conor30, Dark Chocolate, deirdre_dub, Donnaghm, Intouch9, mango salsa, Peadar06, polkabunny, rainbow kirby

Out of that 12 myself and Intouch9 said we can't now make it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

to late to go changing things now, I say you should still run with it.

March 17th - Saturday
    Ah i thought it was more that originally voted for the tenth that had to change their minds. Looks like its still ok so

March 2nd - Friday
    I haven't actually voted for the 10th, but I can make it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feb 24th - Friday
    Anyone got an ideas on venues. I don't know anywhere in Dublin, so Baby might be able to help with that one and a pole.

March 16th - Friday
    What, you want a venue so you can do a bit of pole dancing? :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Feb 24th - Friday
    Ouuh I'd love to learn how to pole dance. Maybe another time though :P

March 16th - Friday
    Anyone got an ideas on venues. I don't know anywhere in Dublin, so Baby might be able to help with that one and a pole.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Feb 24th - Friday
    Whoops, shows what happens when I'm thinking of a hundred things at once. Meant to say a poll could be added :P

March 16th - Friday

I think a poll is a bad idea - you're better off just choosing a venue.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

March 16th - Friday
    Yeah the last time we had a poll for the venue and it just ended badly. TBH I'm also not in a position to organise this beers, I organised the last like, 3!!

March 17th - Saturday
    Will we just agree on a venue for march 10th and see who turns up? We dont need to book anything

Feb 24th - Friday
    Sadly I won't be able to attend this event. 21st cropped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sapere_aude

Hope nothing crops up between now and then! Very much looking forward to my first queer beers (with boardsies)

March 16th - Friday
    Hey guys I won't make this one as my Godson is getting Christened so I'm away for the full weekend.

Enjoy though!!!

• Advertisement

Feb 24th - Friday
    Even though a few of us can't come to the event, why not agree on a location and a time? Ye can always move on to a different location afterwards.

March 17th - Saturday
    i think most of us must be doing what im doing - seeing if anyone else is still going. id like to but it totally depends on if anyone is still going.
    i dont feel i should tell people a time and place when i may not even be there myself.
    its a choice between beers and a family dinner for me!

March 16th - Friday
    Who can actually make it on the 10th?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Can't go, midterm exams and deadlines around the corner.

March 2nd - Friday
    Apologies for this 'cause I said I could make it. . .but I am not sure anymore. I may have to attend a business dinner, I will only know for sure midweek.
    Again, sorry.

March 16th - Friday
    Who can actually make it on the 10th?

Noone?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

The last Boards Beers I went to was held in Messers Maguires. I'd recommend the place due to the fact the beer is reasonably priced (€4 for inhouse brew!), the atomosphere is relaxed and the music is at a comfortable volume so there's no need to scream.

That's my suggestion anyhow. :)

March 16th - Friday
    Looks like everyone is bailing out?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

March 17th - Saturday
    I'm still up for it. And so is a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BiMankind

Has this night out ended before it's begun? I'm a new poster and a lurker and I've been keeping an eye on this as an opportunity to introduce myself. But, being a bit hesitant and not great at conversation in social settings, I'm not going to be turning up if it's going to be the proverbial 'one man and his dog' effort.

• Advertisement

March 17th - Saturday
    A lot of people had to back out - work, family stuff, events etc. so a place and time was never planned as there was little interest when so many pulled out. It will no doubt be rearranged for a different day as beers is semi regular

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

March 17th - Saturday
    So the night is definitely not going ahead? Major bummer! :-(

so it was all for naught?
    I feel partially responsible since I more or less planted the seed then went and got booked for a gig on the date decided on.

I'm starting work down the country soon so I won't be able to fix this failed meet by my effort alone.

I found an LGBT forum "gaire" who regularly arrange meet ups. there is one planned march 31st.
    (this is not an ad, and to prove it, you're gonna have to put 'www.' and '.com' onto it yourself)

Told ya it should have been on 17th! I'll be about Dublin anyway so maybe if other Boardsies are about on that date we could arrange something for Saturday?

I'll be in town this Saturday at the Karaoke in the George, if any 'you wanna come listen to me make a fool of myself.

We'll probably be in the Dragon and pub crawling before that, I wonder if I can convince everyone to go to the George for a bit. After not liking it last time, probably not, but I'll see what I can do. The opportunity to laugh at someone trying to sing (especially when drunk) is too good to pass up! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

March 17th - Saturday
    You do realise with the last ever AMI on and St Paddy's day everywhere will be mobbed. Trying to arrange a boards meetup on this particular day is just silly ;)

I forgot about that. On second thoughts a nice weekend down home in Mayo weekend seems to be just what the doctor ordered.

(kicks back with a cuppa)

No singing in the George? Awww, I was looking forward to a good laugh, and maybe getting a pint with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

March 9th - Friday
    Paddyc, autogroove - are ye in the g or the dragon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement