Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overkill UK Police?!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Brady wrote: »
    Images are Sourced from BBC Newswebsite[/URL]

Why have the media got so obsessive about blurring out vehicle numberplates while still displaying faces of innocent/uninvolved parties ?
    fight fire with fire and all that
    Surely water/CO2/dry powder/that-foamy-stuff-that-leaves -an-awful-mess works better ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

A few of my favourite quotes from Northumbria Police during the last couple of days:

"We are looking for a male who does not want to be found"

"Information has come to our attention about a threat to the public from Moat"

But......."There is no specific threat against the schools, children or anybody else in the Rothbury area"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It was the wife who tipped him over the edge by having the affair

22 year old gf that he knocked up when she was 16 and he is 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... The A-Team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Sky news were saying there that two RAF Tornado jets capable of Mach 1.6 are helping in the hunt for Raoul Moat. WTF, how fast can the lad run??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,892 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Sky news were saying there that two RAF Tornado jets capable of Mach 1.6 are helping in the hunt for Raoul Moat. WTF, how fast can the lad run??
    Even at subsonic speeds you rarely hear a plane before its already overhead, its just moving too fast: typically over 400mph. I forget what commercial liner runway speed is averaging at. C-17s frequently pass overhead during the day here, the Charleston AFB makes sure of that. But the same applies that because of the speed and the altitude involved you cant hear them before they're already overhead or past you.

But it still represents an advantage over searching by helicopter - which travels a lot slower and can be heard before seen.

And what exactly are they gonna see at 400mph? Just seems a bit mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

And what exactly are they gonna see at 400mph? Just seems a bit mad

They have these thermal and near-IR cameras that are used in wartime for recce and target acquisition. They're up to the task.

Bear in mind that they also can fly quite high up so that the area below them appears to be passing quite sedately, just as when you're driving at 120km/h on the motorway, buildings on the horizon appear to pass more slowly than streetlights on the side of the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Just out folks,

the New Google App, Where's Moaty?

Wheresmoaty.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

raoul moates message to sue sim, def not safe for work

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Good photo of armed UK cops protecting their doughnuts. You have to get your priorities right.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0709/breaking2.html

...that bakery have jumped on the band wagon and are cashing in on their new local pastry snack. Its thick as fook, meaty and has a hint of ginger. Sausage Raouls are now on sale in there for 49p.:D

Donny5 wrote: »
    They have these thermal and near-IR cameras that are used in wartime for recce and target acquisition. They're up to the task.

I dont doubt that they'd be perfect in Afganastan and that, just seems a bit mad for this. I know what your saying about the speed and that, and I can see that working if your looking for an aircraft carrier or something, but a person?? Anyway once they see a person, they'd hardly be able to identify him from 20,000ft (or what ever height it is they fly at). I can see this ending badly for some random poor lad out for a stroll in the locality. Not that I know what im talking about of course, just the way it seems to me

Why dont they use the helicopter, like in 'road wars' with the thermal camera? At least then if they found him they could hover above him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I dont doubt that they'd be perfect in Afganastan and that, just seems a bit mad for this. I know what your saying about the speed and that, and I can see that working if your looking for an aircraft carrier or something, but a person?? Anyway once they see a person, they'd hardly be able to identify him from 20,000ft (or what ever height it is they fly at). I can see this ending badly for some random poor lad out for a stroll in the locality. Not that I know what im talking about of course, just the way it seems to me

Why dont they use the helicopter, like in 'road wars' with the thermal camera? At least then if they found him they could hover above him?

The Tornado is not there to "exterminate" him,it is there to find him.

It takes a picture of the terrain,flies over the same spot again and takes another picture,and identifies any movement in the second picture from the first.

If they see something suspicious,they tell the cops who go for a look.

they have been using thermal cameras on the choppers and will continue to do so but it seems that area has no shortage of caves to hide in.

I reckon he's with Bin Laden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Well, I'm just guessing, but I figured that they are using them to look for thermal signatures which can then be passed onto the cops for a look. They probably are mostly airborne at dusk to dawn, to avoid false positives. They wouldn't be carrying ordnance; they're just there to have a look.

I imagine the two main advantages to using GR4s over helicopters are that the plane can cover far more territory in a given time frame (I don't know how much more, but it's likely orders of magnitude higher), and that planes are far cheaper to fly than helicopters.

Also, there's a good chance they're using both in their efforts. Maybe they're grid-searching with GR4s looking for signatures, and if they find one, they call over the helicopter to have a closer look and loiter until someone can get there on foot.

Anyway, it's all just my supposition and I'm talking through my arse, never having been a fighter pilot or armed policeman.

I reckon he's with Obama

don't you mean Osama?:pac::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Well according to sky news he's now holding a gun to his head while having a 'confrontation' with armed police.

This should end well. :rolleyes:

MidlandsM wrote: »
    don't you mean Osama?:pac::confused:

Thats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Well according to sky news he's now holding a gun to his head while having a 'confrontation' with armed police.

This should end well. :rolleyes:

BBC have said nothing about this!

Tis all happening now...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Sky news stand 400m away from where everyone else is standing watching...

And they have had full coverage on this for days....:rolleyes:

"From what we can see, there is a crowd of people and a man with a gun...just around the corner..."

SHOW IT

• Advertisement

I know, wtf! Being nosy is sky's strength... oh eventually the camera man decides to move his ass.

Ooh a cop car with dented light. :rolleyes:

Ha, an eye witness on BBC has just said she saw two police cars crashing as they were in such a hurry!

I know, wtf! Being nosy is sky's strength... oh eventually the camera man decides to move his ass.

Ooh a cop car with dented light. :rolleyes:

Apparently two police cars crashed into each other

Yes, I heard. not that thrilling though.

"My mum wants to come out of her house, but they (police) keep telling her to stay indoors"

*Bangs head of table* Hmm, I wonder, I mean it couldn't be for HER own safety. My god, why do they talk to ppl like this. :rolleyes:

Hmm, interestingly, a very distressed lady was just on bbc; her mum is stuck in a house nearby and cant leave' she just said the mothers house was broken into on Tuesday, and forensics confirmed it was Moat.. ya can't trust the news to tell you everything can ya :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Hmm, interestingly, a very distressed lady was just on bbc; her mum is stuck in a house nearby and cant leave' she just said the mothers house was broken into on Tuesday, and forensics confirmed it was Moat.. ya can't trust the news to tell you everything can ya :rolleyes:

Yeah, same woman then says that she is so worried about her mother and is going to ring her straight away. Camera cuts to the reporter and you can see the same woman telling her story to some other news agency.... Very worried indeed.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Sky reported that they weren't informed of the break in by the Police.. so no, quite hard for them to report something they don't know about.

Police confirm they're negotiating with him.. That must be an interesting conversation.

"I'm going to kill myself!"
    "Really?...We were kind of planning to kill you.."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Sky are blowing this out of proportion like always

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Interesting that Northumbria Police have been looking for 6 days without any luck, but The Met come up to the North-East for one day and find him within 12 hours.

:rolleyes:

Advertisement