Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,605 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Would I be correct in assuming that sticking 50k into prize bonds would more than likely earn me more than state saving schemes or banks? I know you can potentially win nothing.

Are you up for an experiment? Put €25K into Prize Bonds for a year or whatever period you like and €25K into the best savings scheme you can find. But one which will allow you to withdraw the money at any time with no penalty.

Since you can potentially win nothing you are not correct in assuming that €50K invested in Prize Bonds would earn you more than saving schemes. So there is only one way to find out.

I have a block of €10K in my bonds for a number of years. It has won €100 in each of 2014, 2015 and 2016, nothing to date this year. That is just my experience, not a guide to what might happen for anyone else.

Ignore the figures in that other link which is three years out of date. The notional interest rate is now 0.85% not 1.60%.

http://www.statesavings.ie/PrizeBonds/Pages/PressReleases.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

syklops wrote: »
    I got a 100 pounds worth of Prize bond about 25 years ago. Still waiting for a cheque to come in the post.

Be interested to see how you get on though.
    Those prize bonds are void now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

I finally got around to purchasing some prize bonds and I got a certificate in the post today. I've signed up for online notifications.

Just out of interest, will my bonds be included in this week's draw or is there a waiting period? I couldn't find anything about a waiting period in the FAQs, which seems to suggest that I should be included straight away.

cork93 wrote: »

Apart from the fact that the article is a few years old and therefore doesn't reflect current interest rates, it is written by an adviser whose philosophy is that you should NEVER hold cash as an investment and it doesn't address the expected return that you might receive after stripping out the larger prizes.

Anyway, I'll post here if I win anything (unless it's €1,000,000, in which case I won't tell anybody!).

I've just been reading the FAQs and I came across the following:

I have Prize Bonds for many years, what has happened to them?

Your Prize Bonds are included in every draw until you cash them in. All Prize Bonds, regardless of how old they are, stand an equal chance, relative to the unit value, of winning a single prize in every draw. Even if one of your Prize Bonds wins a prize in a particular week it is included in every subsequent draw.

I've highlighted the words that caught my attention. Pre euro prize bonds cost IR£5, which equals €6.35. This is 1.6% more than current bonds cost. Does this mean that these bonds have a 1.6% greater chance of winning each week? If so, how do they program their random number generator to achieve this? Logistically, I imagine this would be quite challenging.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »

Your Prize Bonds are included in every draw until you cash them in. All Prize Bonds, regardless of how old they are, stand an equal chance, relative to the unit value, of winning a single prize in every draw. Even if one of your Prize Bonds wins a prize in a particular week it is included in every subsequent draw.

I've highlighted the words that caught my attention. Pre euro prize bonds cost IR£5, which equals €6.35. This is 1.6% more than current bonds cost. Does this mean that these bonds have a 1.6% greater chance of winning each week? If so, how do they program their random number generator to achieve this? Logistically, I imagine this would be quite challenging.

I was thinking about this while I was walking the dog right now. (I know, I need to find something more interesting to occupy my thoughts!). Anyway, I figure the only logical way they could handle it would be to increase the prize by 1.6% if someone with an older bond wins a prize.

Wouldn't have much impact on the overall amount paid out unless an older bond were to win the €1 million prize, which would cost an extra €16,000. I guess any excess paid out could be offset against the amount paid out in the following draw.

After 15 years they become dormant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

rdavey14 wrote: »

Do you have a source for that info. I've had bonds longer than that and won on one recently.

I presume that only applies if they have tried to contact the owner of the bonds and have not received any response (or had a cheque returned because no longer at that address, or just not cashed)?

I was thinking about this while I was walking the dog right now. (I know, I need to find something more interesting to occupy my thoughts!). Anyway, I figure the only logical way they could handle it would be to increase the prize by 1.6% if someone with an older bond wins a prize.

Wouldn't have much impact on the overall amount paid out unless an older bond were to win the €1 million prize, which would cost an extra €16,000. I guess any excess paid out could be offset against the amount paid out in the following draw.

Each bond bought for IR£5 has a slightly better chance of winning compared to those bought at €6.25. This is catered for in the software.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2004/si/582/made/en/print

a) in the case of a bond to which the serial number DL000001 or a subsequent serial number has been allocated pursuant to Regulation 5, €6.25; and

(b) in the case of all other bonds, €6.35”;

(b) in paragraph (1) of Regulation 4, by the substitution of “€6.25” for “ £5”; and

(c) in Regulation 9, by the substitution of the following paragraph for paragraph (2):

“(2) Each bond included in a draw shall have a chance of being selected for a prize in proportion to the principal repayable in respect of the bond.”.

To the poster who says bonds become dormant, they don't. Every extant bonds is entered into every draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mcgragger

Ive about 1000 worth of these and have never won a cent.

Luck of the draw!!

mcgragger wrote: »
    Ive about 1000 worth of these and have never won a cent.

Luck of the draw!!

If you have them since 1957 it could be regarded as fairly bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mcgragger

If you have them since 1957 it could be regarded as fairly bad luck.

Not quite 1957 .... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Just out of interest, will my bonds be included in this week's draw or is there a waiting period? I couldn't find anything about a waiting period in the FAQs, which seems to suggest that I should be included straight away.

Bonds are included in all draws from the day payment is received even if you hadn't received the certificate.

Cork Lass wrote: »

Do you have a source for that info. I've had bonds longer than that and won on one recently.
    http://www.statesavings.ie/Products/Pages/DormantAccountInfo.aspx

Prize Bonds do not become dormant. Every draw there are winners from bonds purchased in each decade going back to the 1950's.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/financial_institutions/dormant_bank_accounts_in_ireland.html

Rules

What kind of dormant accounts are covered by the Acts?
    The Acts apply to a deposit, share or current account in a bank or building society; an account, saving certificate, savings bond or instalment saving scheme with An Post; and certain life assurance policies. The legislation does not apply to accounts held in credit unions.

Nor are unclaimed prizes (not claimed after 6 months) transferred to the dormant account funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

GarIT wrote: »
    Bonds are included in all draws from the day payment is received even if you hadn't received the certificate.

Really? Date of issue on the prize bond seems later than when money disappears from my account!!! Who is holding my money in the meantime - the main NTMA account?

Really? Date of issue on the prize bond seems later than when money disappears from my account!!! Who is holding my money in the meantime - the main NTMA account?

I've no idea, I talked to someone from the number on the website about it 1~2 years ago and I was told as soon as they see the payment is received you're in the draws. There could be lots of other factors, if paying by cards, visa, for example, holds the money for 3 working days before passing it onto the seller, with a bank transfer your bank would hold the money for a day, cashing a check/bank draft would take a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I've no idea, I talked to someone from the number on the website about it 1~2 years ago and I was told as soon as they see the payment is received you're in the draws. There could be lots of other factors, if paying by cards, visa, for example, holds the money for 3 working days before passing it onto the seller, with a bank transfer your bank would hold the money for a day, cashing a check/bank draft would take a few days.

I was a the post office this morning to get some. I paid instantly (debit card) and I was told they would be included in next week's draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭honey12345

600 won on 30k in since April 2015
    nothing won on 50k in since April 2017

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I was a the post office this morning to get some. I paid instantly (debit card) and I was told they would be included in next week's draw.

Debit cards aren't instant, it might leave your account straight away, but it takes the person on the other end a few working days to receive the money. As I said above Visa hold onto the money from card transactions for 2 (3 if you include the purchase date) before passing the money on. MasterCard are similar.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Debit cards aren't instant, it might leave your account straight away, but it takes the person on the other end a few working days to receive the money. As I said above Visa hold onto the money from card transactions for 2 (3 if you include the purchase date) before passing the money on. MasterCard are similar.

That's like saying you pay for €50 petrol via debit card but you can't actually get the petrol until it clears.

On the post offices end paying €50 cash is the exact same as paying €50 via debit / credit card from their records point of view(i.e. You have cleared your debt for the transaction) so I don't see why it would make any difference for a prize bond transaction

Yes the idea of bank card is that while the transactions might take a few days to clear it is confirmed instantly and the money is put on hold on the buyer's account to garantee the payement . I've never came across a merchant regardless of what they sell which will wait for the transaction to clear.

I think the delay is more due to An Post processing the application form offline (the clerk takes the payment and makes copies your documents for further processing, but I don't think they completely set you up in the system).

Bob24 wrote: »

Wishful thinking I fear. With the huge increase in bond purchases [Irish Times article says €100 million put into Prize Bonds in 1st three months of this year], it is taking far more time to issue them (I think so anyway).

Wishful thinking I fear. With the huge increase in bond purchases [Irish Times article says €100 million put into Prize Bonds in 1st three months of this year], it is taking far more time to issue them (I think so anyway).

Ok good to know. You know roughly how long it takes?

And once it's done they send you a letter or an email to let you know?

More like 10 days and you'll receive the paper bonds in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭robwen

Tight hoors could do with increasing the prizes to match

€50 today - back in the draw again:):)

robwen wrote: »
    Tight hoors could do with increasing the prizes to match

How many prizes are there?

The National Treasury Management Agency (NTMA) sets the variable percentage rate used to calculate the annual prize fund.Effective from July 2016 this variable percentage rate is set at 0.85% of the total value of prize bonds outstanding.
    The value of the prize fund is recalculated at the end of every month, so the total value of prizes paid out by the NTMA changes each month in line with the monthly net sales of prize bonds. Effective from December 2016 approximately 6,500 prizes are awarded each week:

7138 prizes in every draw in May 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I know it's possible that it will stay at 0 for the year, but it's probably the same possibility of winning the mill. /QUOTE] yup!

Advertisement