Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

The Waterford County Board haven't a bob. I had to give Tom Cunningham the lend of a fiver so he could go into Tonys chipper in Dungarbum for a variety box there last week. He did give me one of his battered sausages though. He was saying he thinks football is a silly game and he doesn't like it anymore. He was saying that Ballinacourty definitely won't retain the Conway Cup this year. I says,I says,I says 'Tom,how are you so sure?'. He said they were after melting it down and selling it to one of them Cash for Gold places on Browns Road. Instead of a trophy for the winners of the senior football this year,they're giving the winners a signed copy of Bimbo McGraths autobiography 'If You Don't Know Bimbo,Don't Judge Bimbo.' Then he gave me another chip and headed off. The hurlers are in good shape for the Clare game. I met Michael Ryan at Wrestlemania above in Dublin a few weeks back. He was very impressed with Jon Cena,said he'd make a fine full back some day. He was telling meself and the wife that midfield will be crucial. He's probably going to start Timmy Ryan and Nichola Beresford, but Geoff Harris has a chance too. Full back will be a big call, but he reckons Gilbert O'Sullivan,Shane and Billys brother, is absolutely flying in training and should get the nod. That Chris Doran fella will probably be in the corner instead of Noel Connors. He's a mighty man for a singsong apparently. The wife got me one of them smart phones for my birthday. I hate it. The buttons are very small. This has taken me three weeks to type. I'm on Twatter now,I use it to keep in touch with gaa news and my daughter in San Francisco. My name on it is @thetomkelly99 . It's a stupid name. Tis hard to believe there's 98 other tools with that name. I met Marty Morrissey at a clubhouse opening in Dunhill a few weeks back. Jesus he's fair smooth with the wimmin. They were eating out of the palm of his hand. No really,they were,they had no plates and he has massive hands. He thinks Clare will win the All-Ireland in the hurling,and in the football. And he reckons that Clare might just win the intermediate hurling too. And the junior football. The U21 football is too close to call,but he thinks that Clare will win it. In the U21 hurling,he said his head was saying Clare,but his heart thinks that Clare will win it. The minor is anyone's he said,hurling and football. He thinks it'll probably be a Munster team will win both. I said 'Cork?' No,he says,he says,he says, 'I think it'll be Clare.' I never did find out where he was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

hardybuck wrote: »
    In 2011 they played in Div 3 and were unlucky to drop a division and made the last 16 in the Championship. While the good underage talent that became available in the last 10 years wasn't utilised, I think you're jumping the gun a bit.
    Totally agree with you there, were very unlucky in Div 3 last season. The games that were lost were by only a point or two so an additional season in Div 3 would have been of great benefit so the earlier suggestion that the county should concentrate on one code is some what of a joke considering if you look at the majority of rural clubs outside of the city where football seems stronger. The work is being done at club level and this work should have the county as a Div 3 side or perhap Div 2 so is the county board to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

A colleague of mine spoke to somebody close to the senior hurlers very recently saying things aren't going well at all in training and that. I don't know what to believe but its just what I've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

A colleague of mine spoke to somebody close to the senior hurlers very recently saying things aren't going well at all in training and that. I don't know what to believe but its just what I've been told.

Yea shur my cousins wifes fathers uncles next door neighbours second best friend heard off a lad that her brother kind of knows through a mutual acquaintance that things are absolutely flying in the camp! Not sure if I believe it though.. Think I'l wait and see what happens come June 17th! :D

On a more serious note though, there are 11 players injured at the moment and add to that the blow of losing Shane O'Sullivan to travels as well as a bit of will he stay, won't he stay with Stevie. Of course there are going to be difficulties. This is a panel trying to get their stuff together to beat a Clare team who will be absolutely gunning for them. I'd love to know exactly what he means by "things aren't well at all in training and that". Or, actually, no I wouldn't. Let what goes on in training stay in training and let them get on with their preparations. God knows the lads have already had more than their fair share of crap from the various media outlets trying to make a big deal out of very minor stories earlier in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

what do you want to believe? this is usually what most people take as the truth, causing a rumour mill, which snowballs and disrupts the team... Waterford is a great place for the Chinese whispers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

I didn't intend to insult anybody concerning football v hurling, I was amassed with less than a week to go there was very little debate about the game on Sunday. At least this got the ball rolling, a win on Sunday would really brighten up the seen in football who knows. What Offaly achieved in the 80s should be an inspiration for any small county that play both codes seriously. At club level we have some serious talent in football I taught a few years back that we would make a major breakthrough but it has proven a lot harder to achieve. Anyway best of luck to the senior and junior teams for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I see that Tipperary had another good minor football win against Cork last night en route to the Munster final. They play Kerry, who they've already beaten convincingly in the competition.

Mickey Ned O'Sullivan, who is managing Kerry this year, claimed that Kerry were 'years' behind the likes of Tipp in terms of strength and conditioning.

Waterford were always about the same standard as Tipp at both underage and senior. Now Tipp are streets ahead in underage and are starting to pull away at senior level.

Now, we've had this argument before - people who are interested in both codes will agree for a more balanced approach to our games in Waterford, and the hurling people will say that we should concentrate in hurling only as we're too small for both sports.

Tipp does have a larger population than Waterford - about 45,000 larger. However, Tipp has 361,000 fewer people than Cork, yet they are now consistently beating them at hurling and football at all levels.

I'm a believer in doing things right, and I see no reason why both hurlers and footballers both can't be approached in professional fashion.

I see that Tipperary had another good minor football win against Cork last night en route to the Munster final. They play Kerry, who they've already beaten convincingly in the competition.

Mickey Ned O'Sullivan, who is managing Kerry this year, claimed that Kerry were 'years' behind the likes of Tipp in terms of strength and conditioning.

Waterford were always about the same standard as Tipp at both underage and senior. Now Tipp are streets ahead in underage and are starting to pull away at senior level.

Now, we've had this argument before - people who are interested in both codes will agree for a more balanced approach to our games in Waterford, and the hurling people will say that we should concentrate in hurling only as we're too small for both sports.

Tipp does have a larger population than Waterford - about 45,000 larger. However, Tipp has 361,000 fewer people than Cork, yet they are now consistently beating them at hurling and football at all levels.

I'm a believer in doing things right, and I see no reason why both hurlers and footballers both can't be approached in professional fashion.
    Well done to Tip agree with everything that has been said here.
    Tom Kelly your a scream keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

Tippearary are only after getting ahead of us after putting in TIME AND EFFORT, alright money is tight, but surely you'll agree giving up would be the biggest failure of all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭DublinGAA96

Lads what's going on in terms of the weekend? Are the senior hurlers playing in a challenge on Saturday in Walsh Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Who was the last waterford Club to win a senior Munster club title ?

Who was the last waterford Club to win a senior Munster club title ?

De La Salle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

tomkelly99 wrote: »
    The Waterford County Board haven't a bob. I had to give Tom Cunningham the lend of a fiver so he could go into Tonys chipper in Dungarbum for a variety box there last week. He did give me one of his battered sausages though. He was saying he thinks football is a silly game and he doesn't like it anymore. He was saying that Ballinacourty definitely won't retain the Conway Cup this year. I says,I says,I says 'Tom,how are you so sure?'. He said they were after melting it down and selling it to one of them Cash for Gold places on Browns Road. Instead of a trophy for the winners of the senior football this year,they're giving the winners a signed copy of Bimbo McGraths autobiography 'If You Don't Know Bimbo,Don't Judge Bimbo.' Then he gave me another chip and headed off. The hurlers are in good shape for the Clare game. I met Michael Ryan at Wrestlemania above in Dublin a few weeks back. He was very impressed with Jon Cena,said he'd make a fine full back some day. He was telling meself and the wife that midfield will be crucial. He's probably going to start Timmy Ryan and Nichola Beresford, but Geoff Harris has a chance too. Full back will be a big call, but he reckons Gilbert O'Sullivan,Shane and Billys brother, is absolutely flying in training and should get the nod. That Chris Doran fella will probably be in the corner instead of Noel Connors. He's a mighty man for a singsong apparently. The wife got me one of them smart phones for my birthday. I hate it. The buttons are very small. This has taken me three weeks to type. I'm on Twatter now,I use it to keep in touch with gaa news and my daughter in San Francisco. My name on it is @thetomkelly99 . It's a stupid name. Tis hard to believe there's 98 other tools with that name. I met Marty Morrissey at a clubhouse opening in Dunhill a few weeks back. Jesus he's fair smooth with the wimmin. They were eating out of the palm of his hand. No really,they were,they had no plates and he has massive hands. He thinks Clare will win the All-Ireland in the hurling,and in the football. And he reckons that Clare might just win the intermediate hurling too. And the junior football. The U21 football is too close to call,but he thinks that Clare will win it. In the U21 hurling,he said his head was saying Clare,but his heart thinks that Clare will win it. The minor is anyone's he said,hurling and football. He thinks it'll probably be a Munster team will win both. I said 'Cork?' No,he says,he says,he says, 'I think it'll be Clare.' I never did find out where he was from.

tom your presence can only mean one thing... championship season is upon us once again! Bring on the long hot summer, the smell of the fresh cut grass and your tales of legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Any word on the football team for Sunday. Limerick seem to be very confident of turning us over as they are talking about facing Clare already. Surprised there isn't much talk about this game with only a few days to go. Good luck to Jackson with the junior team I would love if any of the teams got a win.

Are we?? I haven't heard anyone that confident at all... however, if we can field a full team bar Galvin, I do think we can get a win. It won't be easy though, I expect it to be very close. And our luck against teams like Waterford and Clare is going to desert us eventually, we've beaten them when it matters for the last few years, but we haven't always been the better team.

But we didn't have a full team available for any game in the league, and I just think we'll have a bit more experience come the weekend.

tomkelly99 wrote: »

The greatest poster on boards returns! :D Tom, you're a great man

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 newyork4sam

I would'nt call him the greatest poster on boards, anybody could come up with that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I would'nt call him the greatest poster on boards, anybody could come up with that rubbish.

We await your contribution so if anyone can come up with what you refer to as rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

your boardsie name is enough of an indication of how unsighted you are.:D

I just read a preview on rte.ie one the game this weekend. One of the guys they singled out who might do damage for Waterford doesn't even play for the county. He plays for London. Some insult to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I just read a review on rte.ie one the game this weekend. One of the guys they singled out who might do damage for Waterford doesn't even play for the county. He plays for London. Some insult to both teams.

Wasn't aware RTE had developed a time travelling machine, surely now that they have the ability to travel through time they should find something better to do than watch Limerick and Waterford playing football. ;)

Wasn't aware RTE had developed a time travelling machine, surely now that they have the ability to travel through time they should find something better to do than watch Limerick and Waterford playing football. ;)

Lordy...its been a long day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wasn't aware RTE had developed a time travelling machine, surely now that they have the ability to travel through time they should find something better to do than watch Limerick and Waterford playing football. wink.gif

They'll be grand, as long as the alternative isn't to watch Tipp play football!

So Ferncombe is gone to London? I thought he was just injured.

Agree with ya Hardy, but having read some of their reviews of the hurlers over the years it's not just out of a lack of respect for the fixture. The people who compile the information for them have made so many mistakes that I've read solely from a Waterford perspective that I can only imagine they've made many errors with regards to other counties. It really is poor stuff.

They'll be grand, as long as the alternative isn't to watch Tipp play football!

So Ferncombe is gone to London? I thought he was just injured.

Agree with ya Hardy, but having read some of their reviews of the hurlers over the years it's not just out of a lack of respect for the fixture. The people who compile the information for them have made so many mistakes that I've read solely from a Waterford perspective that I can only imagine they've made many errors with regards to other counties. It really is poor stuff.

Ah they've changed the article! They mentioned a chap called Lloyd Colfer who might be someone that John Owens might look towards for scores. He might have to look pretty hard as Lloyd will be sitting over in Clapham this weekend probably.

Whoever wrote the article must have just looked at the last game Waterford played, picked out one of the scorers and picked one of the London guys by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tus.maith

Waterford Senior Football Team.

1. Kieran Cotter Geraldines
    2. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire
    4. Kieran Connery Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    5. Wayne Hennessy Ardmore
    6. Tony Grey Stradbally
    7. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    8. Shane Ahearne Stradbally
    9. Sean O’Hare Ballinacourty
    10. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    11. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    12. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    13. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    14. Sean Fleming Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    15. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty

Waterford Junior Football Team

1. Paul Houlihan St. Saviours
    2. Justin Walsh Nire
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore
    4. Ger Dunphy Newtown
    5. Adam O’Loughlan St. Molleran’s
    6. Eddie Rockett (CAPTAIN) Stradbally
    7. Richie Hennessy Ardmore
    8. Michael O’Gorman Nire
    9. Patrick Lynch Ballinacourty
    10. Paul Power Portlaw
    11. Ronan Cahill Rathgormack
    12. David Power Kilrossanty
    13. Edmond Hogan Rathgormack
    14. Mitchell Casey De La Salle
    15. John Coffey Stradbally

Strong enough senior team, surprised Ferncombe is fit to start.

tus.maith wrote: »
    Waterford Senior Football Team.

1. Kieran Cotter Geraldines
    2. Maurice O’Gorman Nire
    3. Thomas O’Gorman Nire
    4. Kieran Connery Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    5. Wayne Hennessy Ardmore
    6. Tony Grey Stradbally
    7. Shane Briggs Ballinacourty
    8. Shane Ahearne Stradbally
    9. Sean O’Hare Ballinacourty
    10. Patrick Hurney Ballinacourty
    11. Paul Whyte Kilrossanty
    12. Cillian O’Keeffe Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    13. Tommy Prendergast Kilrossanty
    14. Sean Fleming Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    15. Mark Ferncombe Ballinacourty

Waterford Junior Football Team

1. Paul Houlihan St. Saviours
    2. Justin Walsh Nire
    3. Declan Prendergast Ardmore
    4. Ger Dunphy Newtown
    5. Adam O’Loughlan St. Molleran’s
    6. Eddie Rockett (CAPTAIN) Stradbally
    7. Richie Hennessy Ardmore
    8. Michael O’Gorman Nire
    9. Patrick Lynch Ballinacourty
    10. Paul Power Portlaw
    11. Ronan Cahill Rathgormack
    12. David Power Kilrossanty
    13. Edmond Hogan Rathgormack
    14. Mitchell Casey De La Salle
    15. John Coffey Stradbally

Strong enough senior team, surprised Ferncombe is fit to start.
    Best of luck to both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

2-21 each in that challenge game v Wexford, at least that's the score I got. Poor enough performance tbh, very open game with a lot of loose marking. No real intensity or bite to the game, nearly more fights than scores in the first half. 1-11 to 1-9 at HT to Waterford, Wexford came out and took the game to us and showed more hunger and determination to get on top.

Team started as SOK, Philip Mahony, Ringo, S. Daniels, David O'Sullivan, Brick, Wayne Hutch, Paul O'Brien, Moran, Molumphy, Seamus, Martin O'Neill, Mullane, Shane Walsh, Gavin O'Brien.
    Goals by Shane Walsh and Seamus. Walsh went off second half with an injury, hopefully he'll be ok as he did well. Mullane very quiet and got frustrated at times. Iggy on for SOK at HT, Shane Casey on for Shane Walsh, Tommy Ryan on for Paul O'Brien.
    All round disappointing performance. Considering we played Wexford a few weeks ago and beat them comfortably, still plenty of work to do in the next 4 weeks. Bar about 2 or 3 changes, you'd imagine that team above is going to be the team starting v Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

any idea of who was playin for wexford den lad

any idea of who was playin for wexford den lad

15 strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

I see mount sion were beaten again by ballyduff upper in the league. I know its only the league but things musnt be alrite in the sion

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Top drawer wrote: »
    I see mount sion were beaten again by ballyduff upper in the league. I know its only the league but things musnt be alrite in the sion
    Maybe its time to stop underestimating clubs from the west,they are getting better,

• Advertisement

Hslaw wrote: »
    Maybe its time to stop underestimating clubs from the west,they are getting better,

Undoubtedly, but Ballyduff Upper at present are bottom of Group 2, and Dunhill are not an eastern team and that was a really bad result for Mount Sion. I wouldn't put too much stock in the league mind you, I'd imagine they were missing all their County players bar Tony so it's probably irrelevant. They are, however, fighting for their lives if they lose to Fourmilewater next weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement