Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist going over board with lighting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I see your facepalm and raise you this:
    131585348413.Epic_Face_Palm.jpg
    -Chris- wrote: »
    Oh no she didn't!!! :D

:o (only remembered about that after (and I wasn't discussing them anyway :P;)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

I'm not sure if it's funny or not that you don't know this, but a bike is classified as a vehicle and is subject to the road traffic act, so any offenses committed on a bike can be applied to a driving license. This would include driving without reasonable consideration for road users.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/injured-cyclist-gets-driving-ban-for-breaking-red-light-2228117.html
    I was aware of this case. My point is that the penalty points system should be extended to offences committed while cycling.
    The case you linked was an extreme one. A crackdown on the regular every day offences of red light jumping, cycling on a footpath, lack of lighting, cycling without due consideration and dagerous cycling etc by allowing cops to dish out points without necessarily "having" to go to court to prosecute would radically improve cycling behaviour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was aware of this case. My point is that the penalty points system should be extended to offences committed while cycling.
    The case you linked was an extreme one. A crackdown on the regular every day offences of red light jumping, cycling on a footpath, lack of lighting, cycling without due consideration and dagerous cycling etc by allowing cops to dish out points without necessarily "having" to go to court to prosecute would radically improve cycling behaviour!

I don't think you understood what I said.

The penalty point system is ALREADY applicable to offenses committed while cycling, as a bicycle is a vehicle under the RTA. All that's required is enforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I suggest you do a bit of research into high intensity LED's then, you'll find it much easier to believe.
    Agreed. A chap in work has this very small led lensor/snap on LED light and its nearly as a bright as a main beam of a car. Series thing altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What happens if some doesn't have, and never intends to get, a driver's licence?

The punishment for someone, who has (or will have) a licence, breaking the lights will be greater than the punishment for someone who doesn't have (and will never have) a licence.

It wouldn't really be fair imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bleeding cyclists

The rear of the new saab 95 is really distracting at night

I'd agree, thankfully they're as rare as tits on a boar so not really a problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What happens if some doesn't have, and never intends to get, a driver's licence?

The punishment for someone, who has (or will have) a licence, breaking the lights will be greater than the punishment for someone who doesn't have (and will never have) a licence.

Fines are still applicable for all offenses - and if brought to court, I'd imagine the judge would choose to set a higher fine for those without a license for fairness. And any points would be accumulated until such a time where they did get a license.

It's not really the penalty points that deter people (until you've high multiples that start altering insurance quotes or risk a chance of being banned) - it's having to fork out money.

The point is to improve behaviour on the roads. I would guess that only a small minority have no intention of ever having a drivers licence. My proposal would have a deterrent effect on the majority and would lead to a noticeable improvement in cyclist behaviour - it would become the norm to see them behaving themselves on the road

The point is to improve behaviour on the roads. I would guess that only a small minority have no intention of ever having a drivers licence. My proposal would have a deterrent effect on the majority and would lead to a noticeable improvement in cyclist behaviour - it would become the norm to see them behaving themselves on the road
    But still, the law can't be seen to be unfair or uneven in it's punishment based on whether you'll have a driving licence or not.
    I'm sure there'd be all sorts of challenges to the "convictions" if it was implemented.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood what I said.

The penalty point system is ALREADY applicable to offenses committed while cycling, as a bicycle is a vehicle under the RTA. All that's required is enforcement.
    The penalty point system is specific to drivers of motorised vehicles - look them up here: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Penalty-points/Types-of-offences/

But still, the law can't be seen to be unfair or uneven in it's punishment based on whether you'll have a driving licence or not.
    I'm sure there'd be all sorts of challenges to the "convictions" if it was implemented.
    That not how penalty points work - even for drivers, points work in lieu of a conviction:rolleyes:. You accept them without going to court. If you choose to challenge the imposition of points, just like a driver does now, you can take your chances with a court appearance and possible conviction (no inverted comma's) at court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

It was on his head , what ever it was. I'm not a man to lie just for a forum post, I genuinely could not see a thing, it was a very, very blinding light. Maybe he/she was looking at me as I drove close and it followed his head and beamed straight at me, but it was lethal. I wouldn't want to crash into a poxy tree :mad:

A lot of cars have dims which are too bright also, those blue white zenons.

Must be carnage out there for trees at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Check out the stats for fatal accidents with cyclists - don;t have the figures but I know they are above average in Ireland.

Cycling is a great way of getting around and should be embraced not scourned upon. Now that we can buy cheaper lights in the Euro shops we are seeing much more cyclists using lighting which is drawing more attention to them. If you were to go back 20 years ago many cyclists had no lights on their bikes whatsoever and were knocked down or almost invisable.

BostonB wrote: »
    A lot of cars have dims which are too bright also, those blue white zenons.

Must be carnage out there for trees at the moment.
    If they were focussed and aimed at a drivers eyes then maybe. Car lights are fixed and focussed to illuminate a wide area in front of the car but are talking about cyclists with randomly aimed led lights that can end up been shone directly at drivers' eyes

That not how penalty points work - even for drivers, points work in lieu of a conviction:rolleyes:. You accept them without going to court. If you choose to challenge the imposition of points, just like a driver does now, you can take your chances with a court appearance and possible conviction (no inverted comma's) at court

That's funny, I thought that the situation was that each offence had a set amount of points attached to it (e.g. 4 points for speeding), which were reduced if you accepted the fixed penalty notice and saved the courts time (unless the offence is of such a nature that they can't offer a reduced amount of points).

I put Conviction in inverted commas because there is probably a legal definition of Conviction which some pedantic poster would have pulled me up on.

• Advertisement

If they were focussed and aimed at a drivers eyes then maybe. Car lights are fixed and focussed to illuminate a wide area in front of the car but are talking about cyclists with randomly aimed led lights that can end up been shone directly at drivers' eyes

As can cars, as the roads aren't perfectly level and many cars have badly adjusted lights.

It the same thing.

There needs to be a meet half way situation here.

Clearly cyclists having lights and high vis jackets is a great thing and helps everybody, however if some of these head lamps are as dangerous as being said, then the gardai (esp on bikes) need to step up and call some of these cyclists up on it.

Do if for the cars first.

That's funny, I thought that the situation was that each offence had a set amount of points attached to it (e.g. 4 points for speeding), which were reduced if you accepted the fixed penalty notice and saved the courts time (unless the offence is of such a nature that they can't offer a reduced amount of points).

I put Conviction in inverted commas because there is probably a legal definition of Conviction which some pedantic poster would have pulled me up on.
    Nothing funny about it at all.
    You are correct, sort of - if a driver accepts the imposition of penalty points, he/she does not have to go to court and get a conviction.
    Imagine having a legal definition for a legal concept like conviction:rolleyes: Yeah, the pedants will be all over you for that one.

My point was and is that penalty points being extended to cycling offences will improve cyclist behaviour on our roads mainly by:
    • encouraging gardai to pull cyclists for rule breaking without the necessity of having to bring them to court (unless they dot accept the imposition of points)
    • cyclists wont like paying fines
    • Cyclist motorists will not risk their licence
    • Cyclist who wish to become motorists in the future i.e. young people, will not risk the chance of being able to drive when they're old enough
    • It will place cycling infringements on an equal footing as motoring offences - cyclist like equality on the roads, lets give it to them!

BostonB wrote: »
    As can cars, as the roads aren't perfectly level and many cars have badly adjusted lights.

It the same thing.
    The NCT does it for cars with badly adjusted lights. Nothing for cyclists though. Definitely time for tightening up on this issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There are plenty of motorists driving around who have no licence and never intend to. The law doesn't work for people who don't fear it.

But we can't shot down an idea because a tiny minority of people will never get a licence, the vast majority of people will eventually get a licence at some stage so points will work. Can you imagine a 17 year old ringing for their 1st insurance with a load of points for dangerous road use.

The NCT does it for cars with badly adjusted lights. Nothing for cyclists though. Definitely time for tightening up on this issue

Have an NCT for bicycles then if you think it works for cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

There needs to be a meet half way situation here.

Clearly cyclists having lights and high vis jackets is a great thing and helps everybody, however if some of these head lamps are as dangerous as being said, then the gardai (esp on bikes) need to step up and call some of these cyclists up on it.
    The whole area of enforcement is poor and I can't see this particular issue getting much of a response from Gardai. So, I'm wondering if this is an issue where people speak up i.e. discuss it with the cyclist as mentioned earlier on the thread. Chances are the cyclist is local to the area so you're going to meet them again at some point. As pointed out, if they're made aware of it they're probably going to respond positively. Most cyclists I know (granted I'm in the cycling advocacy community) are very much aware of the issue of not being seen. These super bright lights are an over-reaction to that which is well intentioned but obviously problematic.

Should try that with some local drivers see how they respond.

Advertisement