Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger Precision Rifle

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They can try, but that goes more for semi auto C/F, and pistols. They tend to, or in my experiences, leave rifles *unrestricted) alone.

I had the same issue when i had my TRG and it was RENEWAL time. I was told it looks like a Military firearm and other such stuff. I made the point that i don't control how TRG build their rifles, that functionally it's a bolt action rifle (unrestricted), and to ban/prohibit the licensing of a firearm based on perceptions/looks rather than how it functions (as the law does) is illegal, and would create a monopoly for certain firearm manufacturers whose guns do NOT resemble such.

I got the license with no interview or no hassle from the Super.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Atlantic in Carlow are now stocking these.

Anyone seen one or anyone seen one in another dealers yet?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Gorman700

Cass wrote: »
    Atlantic in Carlow are now stocking these.

Anyone seen one or anyone seen one in another dealers yet?

Yeah! I have one in .243. Got it from Dom Byrne in Wexford!

What is she like lad? Have you got a chance to shoot it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Hilltop advertising them now aswell. Price Circa 2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RossiFan08

Duffy's in Galway have them in 308, 243 and i thinking 6.5 for 1800

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭German pointer

Dom's custom rifles has one in in stock in .308 €1850

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

What's the cheapest people have seen these for sale for, and where.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

It's very difficult to justify €1800 ish when this gun is selling in the US for $1000-$1100. And dealers over there are still turning a profit at that price. I know there is volume sales, shipping, vat, import duties, export licence etc to be considered but can't see how that justifies a virtual doubling of the retail price.

Deaf git wrote: »
    It's very difficult to justify €1800 ish when this gun is selling in the US for $1000-$1100.
    Where is that?

Ruger have it marked as $1,400.

• Advertisement

Deaf git wrote: »
    It's very difficult to justify €1800 ish when this gun is selling in the US for $1000-$1100. And dealers over there are still turning a profit at that price. I know there is volume sales, shipping, vat, import duties, export licence etc to be considered but can't see how that justifies a virtual doubling of the retail price.

Doubling seems to be standard for purchasing firearms in Ireland. The gun is €900ish converted, add €200 VAT, I doubt each dealer here is importing them themselves. More than likely purchasing from a supplier this side of the pond who's only paid a single $250 export fee in the US for multiple guns. Shipping on a number of guns is obviously cheaper than bringing in one or two. I cant see the gun landing here (in volume) costing the importer more than €1100/€1200 (assuming their paying retail without a volume discount (unlikely). So between the importer and the dealer there's at least €600/€700 profit.*

*it they sell them @ €1800 but it seems some dealers are selling for more.

The reason I assume there's a separate supplier bringing in the guns is because it's would explain how dealers all across the country seem to have got them in stock at the same time. Otherwise they all independently filled paperwork work at the same time and had if granted at the same time

The price is, from Ruger, $1400. Dealers here don't buy from the US they buy from the UK.

They retail there at £1400 ($1812).

However take the $1400 price, add the single import fee (for whatever amount of firearms) of $250, add 23% VAT and i believe it's 4.7% for firearms (Duty). So we have:

$1400 (€1267) - Cost
    $250 (€226) - Export fee
    $379 (€343) - VAT
    $77 (€69) - Duty

Total of $2106 or €1906. Of course if they buy more than one that $250 fee is spread over 5,6, 10, 15 guns. Also i doubt they pay retail so the price could be lower again. Still the profit margin, allowing for these, would be in the €250 mark or so.

Allowing for the fact they buy from the UK at retail then it's £1400 or €1640. So €240 profit. Cost/dealer price is another matter as i've no idea what they are buying them for.

I would guess they are buying direct from the UK. Ireland is too small a market to be bothered with a main dealer/supplier. GMK supplies more and more of our stuff. Might be them.

The price is, from Ruger, $1400. Dealers here don't buy from the US they buy from the UK.

They retail there at £1400 ($1812).

However take the $1400 price, add the single import fee (for whatever amount of firearms) of $250, add 23% VAT and i believe it's 4.7% for firearms (Duty). So we have:

$1400 (€1267) - Cost
    $250 (€226) - Export fee
    $379 (€343) - VAT
    $77 (€69) - Duty

Total of $2106 or €1906. Of course if they buy more than one that $250 fee is spread over 5,6, 10, 15 guns. Also i doubt they pay retail so the price could be lower again. Still the profit margin, allowing for these, would be in the €250 mark or so.

Allowing for the fact they buy from the UK at retail then it's £1400 or €1640. So €240 profit. Cost/dealer price is another matter as i've no idea what they are buying them for.

I would guess they are buying direct from the UK. Ireland is too small a market to be bothered with a main dealer/supplier. GMK supplies more and more of our stuff. Might be them.

Good breakdown but I think your high on all your figures. I've seen the rifle advertised on numerous US sites for $1100 and less. There was even a dealers in Texas selling them for $950. There's no way a UK agent is purchasing them in bulk and then paying ruger's RRP of $1400.
    I think my figure of $1100 is much closer to the mark.

So we'd have:

$1100 (€995) - Cost
    $250 (€226) - Export fee say over 10 gun minimum €22
    $253 (€228) - VAT
    $50 (€45) - Duty

Total of $1428 or €1290

http://gunwatcher.com/search-best-price/ruger-precision-rifle-for-sales

There's a few for sale @ $1000. The dealers are obviously not selling below cost so that would suggest the dealer price in the US could be below $900

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    I've seen the rifle advertised on numerous US sites for $1100 and less.
    Thing is i doubt any dealer is scanning the "locals" for deals, plus a lot of those sites are auction sites. Then the last kicker non will sell or ship outside of CONUS.
    Did you see page two? Prices go as high as $1,995. Here is another website selling them for $1,400 & $1,800.

After checking around the average price can go between $1,100 all the way up to $2,000.

I've said in the past that dealer here make a larger profit on some items, and some dealers really have high prices compared to other Irish RFDs, and way higher than online sites. However i doubt they are getting those rifles in for less than €1,200.

Thing is i doubt any dealer is scanning the "locals" for deals, plus a lot of those sites are auction sites. Then the last kicker non will sell or ship outside of CONUS.

Did you see page two? Prices go as high as $1,995. Here is another website selling them for $1,400 & $1,800.

After checking around the average price can go between $1,100 all the way up to $2,000.

I've said in the past that dealer here make a larger profit on some items, and some dealers really have high prices compared to other Irish RFDs, and way higher than online sites. However i doubt they are getting those rifles in for less than €1,200.

While I agree this is an auction site, the guns can be purchased for $1000. As I said I doubt they're been sold below cost. I can't lay my hand to the link to the Texas dealer selling them for $950 and that's from a gun store.
    Im well aware they don't ship out of the CONUS and it wasn't the point I was making. I stated that dealers in the US are possibly purchasing direct from ruger for below $900 if their able to sell for $1000 retail.

The fact that some as looking for $2000 is irrelevant as people will always over price and try make a buck you only have to look to adverts for that. (Sell second hand for twice the price new seems to be the norm) . It was a very popular rifle when it was released in the US and most places sold out (with a long back order) hence the $2000 price tag on auction sites.

I agree dealers have some ridiculous margins on products here. With regards to dealers getting them in for below €1,200 I never said they were.

The fact that some as looking for $2000 is irrelevant as people will always over price and try make a buck you only have to look to adverts for that.
    It's not irrelevant. You have stated they can be gotten fro less than the RRP from Ruger, so if they are also selling above the RRP then it's very relevant. You cannot take the prices that prove a point and dismiss the ones that don't.
    I agree dealers have some ridiculous margins on products here. With regards to dealers getting them in for below €1,200 I never said they were.
    Alright then €1,290 if you want to be exact:
    Total of $1428 or €1290

It's not irrelevant. You have stated they can be gotten fro less than the RRP from Ruger, so if they are also selling above the RRP then it's very relevant. You cannot take the prices that prove a point and dismiss the ones that don't.

It is irrelevant as $1400 is ruger's recommended retail price that doesn't set the price the market does. The fact I've stated they can be gotten for less isn't some conspiracy I've concocted it's a fact. Look to any of the US forums and they regularly mention a retail price of $1000/1100 for the rifle. Like I said you can charge anything you want for a product (that parts irrelevant) what they actually sell for that's the relevant part.

If people pay more for a product that can be purchased cheaper somewhere else it just proves the adage "a fool and his money are easily parted"

Alright then €1,290 if you want to be exact:
    Don't see the point here I'll assume your agreeing with me :) although you do also seem to like an argument.

Second comment from a review on gunsamerica.com suggests a $899 price from discount shooters supply in Roseville CA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Atlantic in Carlow have them for €1850. At least I think that's the price he said. I can't swear on it because my memory is shot to sh1t (pardon the pun) but I think that is the price he quoted. I wasn't really interested in one so I didn't pay enough attention. :pac:

They had them in either 308 or 243.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Atlantic in Carlow have them for €1850. At least I think that's the price he said. I can't swear on it because my memory is shot to sh1t (pardon the pun) but I think that is the price he quoted. I wasn't really interested in one so I didn't pay enough attention. :pac:

They had them in either 308 or 243.

It was either €1850 or €1880 and the .308 was sold the day he got them in. I'm sure there was a bit of wiggle room in that price. Their normally good to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It was either €1850 or €1880 and the .308 was sold the day he got them in. I'm sure there was a bit of wiggle room in that price. Their normally good to deal with.

He had one left on Thursday morning as far as I can remember.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    He had one left on Thursday morning as far as I can remember.

Yeah that's the .243 I was in looking at it.

It is irrelevant ..........
    No its not.

People will pay what they want to or what the price is. TO dismiss the higher priced ones because they can be got cheaper is ignoring the fact that they are not ALL cheap.

Don't see the point here I'll assume your agreeing with me :)
    Never assume.
    although you do also seem to like an argument.
    Funny how people always say argument. No one ever says "like to debate a point". Its a discussion forum. If everyone agreed with the first post there would be no need for the forum. It'd just be a blog.

You have your opinion, and i totally disagree with it. That is the nature of things, but if you are going to call a little bit of back and forth an argument you may grow thicker skin as you're going to find a lot of people won't agree with you on a lot of topics.

The whole thing is moot anyway. For the same money there are better 1,000+ yard rifles out there. Think i highlighted some of it in a previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

Where is that?

Ruger have it marked as $1,400.

$1400 Is Ruger's 'MSRP'- a suggested retail price.
    It is available for $1000 or so at some outlets but this price may not include local taxes.

Getting very good reviews particularly in 6.5 Creedmoor.

No its not.

People will pay what they want to or what the price is. TO dismiss the higher priced ones because they can be got cheaper is ignoring the fact that they are not ALL cheap.

Not to go on a merry go round here but it is irrelevant. Your point would be valid if we were comparing varying quality of two products say like the Harris bipod and one of its clones. While they both do the same thing you can understand why someone would prefer to spend more money on a high quality product.

Your comparing apples with apples and saying that higher prices are relevant ??? That's the head scratcher. What your describing is if two Phone shops were side by side on a street and one had an iPhone for sale for €600 and the shop beside it had the same colour phone identical in every way but was selling it for €1200. The person buying the €1200 one has a screw loose.
    Now if the first shop sold out and they weren't available for a month & you were one of the Apple sheep and had to have it that's why the second shop has increased its price to capitalise on your stupidity

Never assume.

Correct that's what started this whole debate, your assumption that these rifles retail for $1400 when in fact they were available across multiple outlets for $1000/1100
    Funny how people always say argument. No one ever says "like to debate a point". Its a discussion forum. If everyone agreed with the first post there would be no need for the forum. It'd just be a blog.

I like a debate and heck sometimes I even like a good argument.
    You have your opinion, and i totally disagree with it. That is the nature of things, but if you are going to call a little bit of back and forth an argument you may grow thicker skin as you're going to find a lot of people won't agree with you on a lot of topics.

The sarcasm was lost on you
    The whole thing is moot anyway. For the same money there are better 1,000+ yard rifles out there. Think i highlighted some of it in a previous post.

That I don't disagree with.

This is going off topic as it has no relevance to what dealers are purchasing these guns for which will always be cheaper than the sale price. If they sell as low as $900 they have been supplied by ruger for lower than this price.
    The fact someone is selling it for $2000 just means he's HOPING to make a $1100 profit compared to the $900 guy who's making maybe $100

Mr. $2000 is probably only selling the one or is a greed member of the public cashing in on the scaricity of the product.

Mr. $900 is probably selling 100+ units

Back to the Irish pricing someone be it the UK/Irish importer or the Irish dealer is making a massive profit on these rifles.
    Since all the Irish dealers are selling for a similar price €1800-1900 I'd assume it's the importer taking the largest slice of the pie. If the dealers had a better margin you'd see a bigger price difference between them.

• Advertisement

Your comparing apples with apples and saying that higher prices are relevant ??? That's the head scratcher.
    If the dealers had a better margin you'd see a bigger price difference between them.
    These two point from the above posts explain why i think it's relevant.

It's not down to stupidity, its availability. Picture this:
    1. Manufacturer : €1,400
    2. Dealer A : $1000
    3. Dealer B : $1900

These are yuor three options to buy one from the states. Here is the dilemma.
    1. Manufacturer : Will ship to Ireland/outside CONUS
    2. Dealer A : Won't ship to Ireland/outside CONUS
    3. Dealer B : Will ship to Ireland/outside CONUS

So the cheaper dealer won't ship. However say you find one that is willing to ship. What if the Irish dealer is not buying from him? What if the Irish dealer is buying direct from the manufacturer or worse again the expensive dealer.

Been in this position myself the last couple of weeks. not for a firearm just a small accessory. I can find it way cheaper in the states, but no one will ship to Ireland. The one that will ship is a little more expensive, but when you factor in their massive shipping, the taxes and duties it's more expensive than ordering from the European dealer which was far more expensive than the supplier in the states.

My point being just because someone, somewhere sells the rifle much cheaper does not mean that is the price they are buying it for or the person they are buying from. So for that reason you must consider all prices, not just the cheapest.

Advertisement