Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rimfire semi auto for competition

• 10-11-2015 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Hi
    just thinking of getting a ruger 10/22 target for some small game and possibly use it at the range.
    question is,are you allowed semi auto for competitions?or only single shot.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

lots of 10/22s used in competition but a bolt gun is usually more accurate. But in saying that the 10/22 is a great fun gun I use the 10/22 tactical target one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

lots of 10/22s used in competition but a bolt gun is usually more accurate. But in saying that the 10/22 is a great fun gun I use the 10/22 tactical target one

Hi thanks,yeah i sure the bolt actions are more accurate for sure,but rugers are pretty accurate being a semi.
    and its a lot of fun ,lol.
    thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most rimfire comps allow for semi autos and in some comps having a semi auto is a distinct advantage.

It's been a while so someone might tell me if i'm right or wrong, but i think Benchrest is the only discipline where it must be single fed. Could be confusing that with C/F benchrest so again don't take that as Gospel.

However a 10/22 would not compete against the benchrest rifles regardless so it's kinda moot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Most rimfire comps allow for semi autos and in some comps having a semi auto is a distinct advantage.

It's been a while so someone might tell me if i'm right or wrong, but i think Benchrest is the only discipline where it must be single fed. Could be confusing that with C/F benchrest so again don't take that as Gospel.

However a 10/22 would not compete against the benchrest rifles regardless so it's kinda moot.

yeah its just for general target shooting at the range.
    I guess for benchrest or other disciplines a semi wouldnt be able to compete.
    thanks Cass

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

At benchrest most likely not, but other disciplines absolutely it'd be able to compete. Plenty of lads using them to great success. You should come along to the last Bullseye 360 comp of the year and have a look and see what lads are doing with them,
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    At benchrest most likely not, but other disciplines absolutely it'd be able to compete. Plenty of lads using them to great success. You should come along to the last Bullseye 360 comp of the year and have a look and see what lads are doing with them,

Ok sounds like my kind of competition,and actually what i was hoping for.
    So ruger 10/22 next on my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

Ok sounds like my kind of competition,and actually what i was hoping for.
    So ruger 10/22 next on my list.

Ruger 10/22 with a 16 1/2 inch bull barrel is the best place to start if you can get one.

I think 16 1/2 barrel is perfect for any comp you will find yourself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi
    just thinking of getting a ruger 10/22 target for some small game and possibly use it at the range.
    question is,are you allowed semi auto for competitions?or only single shot.
    thanks

I started with a 452 CZ .22lr Style bolt action, a great rifle that would head shoot a rabbit @135y. Good on the range as well with tight groups @50m. I can recommend them to everyone.

Later I changed my type of shooting to target Gallery Rifle competition shooting and bought a Ruger 10/22. This type of shooting requires a semi-auto rifle to shoot. Fun to shoot these comps. see the NSARPC website (sub pages) for comp. details.
    10/22 is not the best for hunting at the longer ranges, bolt action will always win over them.

Hard not to upgrade a Ruger 10/22 when you get them. The trigger out of the box is very heavy to pull, but the target model is better. I'm like a 'boy racer' with my 10/22, I modded it up until there weren't any Ruger parts left anymore. :eek::eek:

KIDD - Trigger (single stage & self modified), Barrel, Bolt, Charging Handle. Boyd EVO stock. Dlask CNC receiver with machined in 30MOA rail and with custom serial number CliveJ001. Hawk Sidewinder 30 6-24x56 scope (slightly modified as well).

368197.jpg

Nice piece of kit.I guess you cant have rifle without pimping it up a bit lol.
    And like the remington 700.Ruger 10/22 have loads of option on the market for upgrades.

Advertisement