Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That just doesn't make sense!

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

IvySlayer wrote: »

Nagus Rom is cringeworthy stuff.

In saying that..... Nagus Zek goes to great lengths early in ds9 to demonstrate that the real power can be wielded from behind the throne. So maybe he really does see Quark as his successor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Absolutely, the warp argument I see. As I understand the fictional technology of warp, while in a warp bubble the ship and its contents are for all effect stationary, its the warp bubble itself that is moving.

As I understand it, how warp drive in Star Trek works is by contracting space in front of the ship, & expanding space behind the ship. I think it still propels itself, & the warp bubble is taking care of the bending of space.
    But what I was suggesting was any non faster than light motion would cause a forward exit from a ship difficult. As soon as the shuttle leaves the ship floor it is immediately stationary and under its own motion.

Ah, I see...I thought you meant ftl speeds initially. However, even at sublight the argument holds up. If the shuttle were to lift up from the shuttle bay floor, it would remain at the ships current velocity. There is no gravity in space to 'drag' the shuttle to a stationary position., & even the shuttle bay floor has a warning about a variable gravity environment....so when a shuttle is about to be launched, the gravity on the shuttle landing area is turned off...& voila, ship & shuttle are at the same speed.
    Imagine your standing on a train, if you jump your position on the train moves as it moves underneath you. If you jump on a starship you ship does not move underneath you because the ship is the source of your gravity. Thats why everyone doesnt get slammed into walls when the ship moves.

On a train, there is gravity form the earth as you mention. On a ship, there is gravity from the deck plating, so unlike the Earth, the source of the gravity is also in motion with you while on a starship. Why would you hit the walls when you jump up, if the downward pull of gravity is also moving along too? The ship, & pull of gravity are synchronized, unlike the train. Inertia dampers are a different tech, & they prevent people from being smashed into walls when going to warp, or a situation where the relative movement of the ship would be large.
    Once you maneuver a shuttle under its own power you are out of this gravity field, even speeds such as thrusters or an orbit would be problematic.

If you were travelling along at 20k mph in space, & were able to put your arm out a window & let go of a ball...the ball will stay beside the window. Without friction, there's nothing to slow the ball down. The shuttle is exactly the same.

Advertisement