Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irresponsibility of pet owners

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

later12 wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me about punishing animals is the sort of correction that takes place too late for the animal to know what's going on. It's the classic thing of a dog owner coming across Rover eating a pair of shoes, and correcting him, when the poor dog doesn't know why he's being shouted at (or worse).

If you are going to reprimand an animal, you must do it as soon as they take an undesirable action, so that they will form a clear mental link between that action and the correction. There is no point in taking your frustration out on the dog one or two hours later, when some sin has been discovered.

I think horse owners deserve special mention here. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing some kid, (or worse, an adult) misusing the whip. You see some awfully bad riders hitting their mounts for having missed a corner or turned the wrong way, or cantered off on the wrong leg, when the horse was only told to do so by their bad riding in the first place.

Anyway, I know these are not especially relevant to wandering animals, which in an urban environment I agree is down to bad manners and poor pet ownership. However, I do question the extent to which this actually affects people, unless the dog in question is mating with your animals, or attacking someone. If he's just having a nosey around your garden, so what?

Another point being missed here is the traveller's horses shyting on footpaths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i've had my feet and hands stamped on by horses, do you think i run around whingeing and demanding they be killed

:rolleyes:

pull on the dog or hit it and it'll snap, that's how it works, it's not a teddybear that can walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

GarIT wrote: »
    What do boardsies thing about pet owners that allow their pets to roam the street? Personally I hate them.

I'm sure most people know about the new law that allows us to use reasonable force on an intruder on your property but do you think should we be allowed use this on animals?

Pets rarely intrude on property and when they do, reasonable force would be to shoo them away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I had to get rid of my german shepherd a few years back because people thought he was dangerous due to the bad light the breed is put in,I was getting letters through the door and everything because they were afraid he'd get out on his own.I loved that dog,he was the biggest softy you'd come across,let kids pull out of him because he was with children from a young age,loved his ball more than anything in the world and would rather run away than confront anything.I miss him.

I have two border collies now though so i guess it balanced out for the best temperament and intelligent wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Surely the onus is on dog owners to close their gates so that the dogs arent out wandering the streets in the first place ?

Well yes that would be an ideal situation but sometimes they do escape. Also I think sometimes dogs like to go do their business in other people's gardens...I'm sure that's were the expression 'Don't sh1t on your own doorstep'' comes from? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Freddie59 wrote: »
    For feck's sake why should they have to close the gate?:confused: If the idiot owners kept their animals under control there would be no need to. Children first - animals a distant second.

Yes obviously it would be ideal if the owner kept their dog in their own garden but some don't and won't and sometimes they escape so if someone was concerned that a dog would sh1t in their garden it would be a good idea to keep the gate closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭_LilyRose_

pmcmahon wrote: »
    I had to get rid of my german shepherd a few years back because people thought he was dangerous due to the bad light the breed is put in,I was getting letters through the door and everything because they were afraid he'd get out on his own.I loved that dog,he was the biggest softy you'd come across,let kids pull out of him because he was with children from a young age,loved his ball more than anything in the world and would rather run away than confront anything.I miss him.

I have two border collies now though so i guess it balanced out for the best temperament and intelligent wise.

Obviously i don't know the whole story but why did you get rid of your dog when it did nothing wrong? It seems like it was your neighbours who had a problem.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

This thing of pets being allowed to roam is completely unacceptable. A dog can get out by mistake or get off the lead or whatever, that can happen and we make exceptions. But if they are allowed to roam constantly and unsupervised means they can foul where they wish and this poses a risk to children.

We had an issue here where I live of one family letting their dog out on the green. War ensued the dog warden was called it all got a bit messy but in the end I think it probably did have to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

pmcmahon wrote: »

Why did you get rid of him, It would break my heart if I had to get rid of my german Shepherd.
    I assume you got a good home for him but still you must miss him.

Those who are saying close the gate, dogs will jump over walls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Obviously i don't know the whole story but why did you get rid of your dog when it did nothing wrong? It seems like it was your neighbours who had a problem.?
    hondasam wrote: »
    Why did you get rid of him, It would break my heart if I had to get rid of my german Shepherd.
    I assume you got a good home for him but still you must miss him.

Those who are saying close the gate, dogs will jump over walls.
    It was all the neighbours with the hassle i was getting and such (typical busy bodies) and with a long lease it was the only really option,but as he was getting bigger i figured it would've been fairer for him to go somewhere with a bit of land anyway so he went off to the farm.

An actual farm not "the farm"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

Freddie59 wrote: »
    A responsible owner so.:rolleyes: What breed is he BTW?

A Doberman/Mastiff mix with proper attack dog training

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well neighbour has 3 dogs, which roam freely in his yard and sometimes run in to our yard. If was alright untill we got our own little dachshund. Those 3 bastords would look at him and bark. Some of them would even run in to our yard too. Scaring the loving shot out of our puppy.
    Then they would **** in our yard too, which is very annoying. We toilet train our own puppy outside and every time he does it outside we collect his poo and burn it in fireplace. It is rented property, so we don't want to have it sinking in poo...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

lastlaugh wrote: »
    If you are asking me where my dog his business, I'm not sure, but I know it's not in our garden or on the footpath outside the house so it's all good.

I'll assume you're trolling. Otherwise you need to seriously cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I threw so many potatoes at next doors dog in our garden, come spring we had a grand crop of fresh potatoes.
    On a more serious point, I ran a dog over down the street that was chasing my car, I did not want to do this but is was so small I could not see it trying to bite my wheel

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My dog escaped twice. She's not tagged or has a collar. On the first occasion, she went to someone's house to play with their dogs. The second time she was given to the guards. She's microchipped which helped us get her back the first time. The second time someone on boards had her, and I found her that evening from boards. I never let her out, but if I ever get sent to prison, she's coming with me. Somehow always finds a way out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

barbiegirl wrote: »
    If a dog is wandering it's the owners fault so kick the owner, put the owner down if you want to punish someone. Dogs are animals they react to how they are treated, trained etc. Good dogs owners pick up after their dogs, train them, keep them in and try to ensure silly kids stay away when walking unless they will do what they're told. My jack Russell isn't a teddy and doesn't lke being picked up, especially not by strange kids. If he bites one they'll try to make me put him down. Nope not a chance.
    Ever kick my dogs get ready for me to lose it with you completely.

So you would be fine if I kicked you? :D

al28283 wrote: »
    Pets rarely intrude on property and when they do, reasonable force would be to shoo them away

Three cats in the garden while I was having breakfast, and one when I was having dinner, that's about average for me too. One was even taking a p*ss on my shed door the smelly f***er. I threw a stone at it but missed obviously.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I hate this one couple in town, they walk their 4 dogs without leashes on a busy road/popular walking route. Not to mention other people walking dogs, they have no control.
    Is it not the law that they should have their dogs on leashes?

toexpress wrote: »
    This thing of pets being allowed to roam is completely unacceptable. A dog can get out by mistake or get off the lead or whatever, that can happen and we make exceptions. But if they are allowed to roam constantly and unsupervised means they can foul where they wish and this poses a risk to children.

We had an issue here where I live of one family letting their dog out on the green. War ensued the dog warden was called it all got a bit messy but in the end I think it probably did have to be done.

There's one particular person on my road that stands in her front door and lets her two dogs out onto the green where the children play to take a **** every morning, we tried asking her to stop one time and then the next morning she did the same thing but stood at the door with a sword in her hands. We got pictures, reported it to the dog warden but still nothing has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I cleaned up 2 lots of dog crap from my front garden on Sunday. Wasn't thrilled about it but that's life. It's not the dogs fault that the owner can't be bothered to take it for a walk or pick up the poop. I found another dog in the garden on Monday evening, unusually this one had a collar and an ID tag.

My reasoned response was to give it a little bit of fuss and lead it out of the garden. I don't understand all this hostility towards dogs and cats. It's not like they're on some mission for world domination.

People who let their dogs roam should be aware that a lot of dogs around the country are being stolen and used to bait fighting dogs.

• Advertisement

I cleaned up 2 lots of dog crap from my front garden on Sunday. Wasn't thrilled about it but that's life. It's not the dogs fault that the owner can't be bothered to take it for a walk or pick up the poop. I found another dog in the garden on Monday evening, unusually this one had a collar and an ID tag.

My reasoned response was to give it a little bit of fuss and lead it out of the garden. I don't understand all this hostility towards dogs and cats. It's not like they're on some mission for world domination.

People who let their dogs roam should be aware that a lot of dogs around the country are being stolen and used to bait fighting dogs.

That shouldn't be life, there's no reason why people that don't want to own animals should clean up after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You know as well as I do that that's a downright lie as far as cats are concerned.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

barbiegirl wrote: »
    If a dog is wandering it's the owners fault so kick the owner, put the owner down if you want to punish someone. Dogs are animals they react to how they are treated, trained etc. Good dogs owners pick up after their dogs, train them, keep them in and try to ensure silly kids stay away when walking unless they will do what they're told. My jack Russell isn't a teddy and doesn't lke being picked up, especially not by strange kids. If he bites one they'll try to make me put him down. Nope not a chance.
    Ever kick my dogs get ready for me to lose it with you completely.

So you would be fine if I kicked you? :D

Ah you missed the point where I said I always pick up after them, so you would have no reason to kick me. :-) in fact if I have spare bags I pick other dogs poor up too esp ecially if it's around the local play ground. I am a responsible owner :-) clap on my own back ;-)

You're absolutely right. However, my options were leave the dog crap in the garden or clean it up. Getting irate and harming animals is not the answer. Getting irate and ranting at the owner, if I knew who it was wouldn't change a thing. The animal doesn't have any concept that it is doing anything wrong. Animals live through their sense of smell.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You know as well as I do that that's a downright lie as far as cats are concerned.:mad:
    I'm choosing my words carefully lest, come the revolution, my feline masters turn their wrath on me

You're absolutely right. However, my options were leave the dog crap in the garden or clean it up. Getting irate and harming animals is not the answer. Getting irate and ranting at the owner, if I knew who it was wouldn't change a thing. The animal doesn't have any concept that it is doing anything wrong. Animals live through their sense of smell.

Some people don't have the time to go out with a shovel every time the kids want to play on the swings.

Some people don't have the time to go out with a shovel every time the kids want to play on the swings.
    I can fully appreciate where you're coming from. I just don't have it in me to take a pop at an animal because it p****d me off, regardless of the reason. Maybe you could pick it up and deposit it back in the garden of the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

skregs wrote: »
    A Doberman/Mastiff mix with proper attack dog training

Lovely.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Can't understand the dog owner who went through the effort to bring a bag with them, pick it up, tie it, carry it and then fling it onto my patio, at least on the grass verge it would of went away, now there's just a bag of poo outside my door that I'm still too angry to pick up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The only iresponsible pet owners I can think of in Ireland are ones who by a breed of dog they perceive to be aggressive and use it as a status symbol or even worse reward it for aggressive behaviour. Their in the minority though.

The most iresponsible ones I can think of is those people who keep pet chimps or wild animals in their house claiming it loves them!

Advertisement