Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should/Shouldn't ESB Demolish Poolbeg Chimneys?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No
    I really hope the ESB keep them. I love flying into Dublin airport and seeing the chimneys, lets me know I'm home or well nearer to Cork than I was anyway. Love the view of the chimneys at the end of the Pride video by U2 as well.
    Wouldn't Dublin, the city that they're attached too be a much better landmark? Really the land mass itself would be a much more obvious landmark and it actually is your home so should provide the emotional attachment your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

ScumLord wrote: »
    Wouldn't Dublin, the city that they're attached too be a much better landmark? Really the land mass itself would be a much more obvious landmark and it actually is your home so should provide the emotional attachment your looking for.

I see what you're saying. The approach to Dublin airport is fantastic with great views of the east coast, the city and Dublin Bay but the chimneys just really stand out in my mind. I don't know why but they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No
    If they demolish Poolbeg it'll leave a little hole in the Dublin landscape.

Let's see if anyone gets the paradox/irony of that.

You're trying too hard, Oscar Wilde.

The chimneys are an eyesore and confirmation that Dublin is a deeply ugly city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Anyone who thinks these are a bonus to our skyline needs their head examined. I live in Clontarf by the sea, just yesterday I was looking over that way from the seafront, thinking how much better it would look without the eyesores that they are. Please demolish them!

Advertisement