Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should/Shouldn't ESB Demolish Poolbeg Chimneys?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

No
    yeah get rid of them
    eyesores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

No
    Im usually for the old buildings in these arguments but i dont think being able to see them from far away is great reason to keep them and i certainly dont want a set of chimneys to be the first and last thing people visiting Ireland see.

Theyre utilitarian, theyve served their purpose, now lets get rid of the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

They are iconic to dubliners alright but the rest of the country couldnt give a **** so demolish them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Well I think we should level the whole site, build a shopping centre with outlying retail parks and apartments, creating about 8000 jobs during construction and 5000 long term jobs, enhancing the... - oh wait, this is 2010 not 2007.

Personally I can't understand this rush to tear them down, they're an inoffensive honest decent symbol of technology and progress from an earlier generation. And I like the way I can catch glimpses of them from so many parts of the city and surroundings. Once they're gone they're gone for good. To remove them would be to do the same thing to the city skyline as we've to the quays i.e turn the blandness up another notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I would consider them a landmark to be honest :eek: always been there in the sky line where i live and well i think it would a shame to knock them down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

robbie_998 wrote: »
    But i can see them from my house in clondalkin :(

How did you manage to steal them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

No
    They remind me of the Cork county GAA socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Overheal wrote: »
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/oct2006/poolbeg.jpg

.............:confused:

You Irish have no ****ing clue what landmarks are, do you?

I mean, the **** is this?

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

THIS is a pair of ****ing chimneys. You have two just like them in Shannon. And about a billion of the ****ing things scattered around the world. I could go driving tonight and snap pictures of at least a dozen.

Next thing someone is going to come on here and argue that The Magpie in Clarecastle is holy ground.

Considering your picture of St Basils is called moscow-kremlin-5.jpg and only comes up when you google image kremlin as opposed to St Basil's Cathedral, looks like you aren't the expert in world famous landmarks you think you are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No
    eyesores, knock 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

No
    They have a local iconicity to them and I like them but keeping them there just for that reason is illogical. They don't warrant protection. I'd like to know whats going to replace them though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Amalgam wrote: »
    I once sat at Sandymount just in time to catch the largest, lowest, slowest, most sinister, buttery brown, full moon pass behind them.

I don't know what's worse, a drab power station with some interesting vegetation and bird life on its wasteland, or more.. ****hole, shoebox flats.

I'll miss them.

God Almighty!!
    I was sure you were going to describe a floating turd .......Thank God for that.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Keep them, We can run a giant elastic band between them and use it as a catapult to send any spud gobbling muck savage who wants them gone back to where they came from. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

A couple of chimneys isn't a bloody landmark.

Wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Overheal wrote: »
    http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/oct2006/poolbeg.jpg

.............:confused:

You Irish have no ****ing clue what landmarks are, do you?

I mean, the **** is this?

This is a landmark.

This is a landmark.

This is even a landmark.

This is a landmark.

THIS is a pair of ****ing chimneys. You have two just like them in Shannon. And about a billion of the ****ing things scattered around the world. I could go driving tonight and snap pictures of at least a dozen.

Next thing someone is going to come on here and argue that The Magpie in Clarecastle is holy ground.

STAY OUT OF MY FIELD, YANK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The years have made me bitter, the gargle dims my brain
    'Cause Dublin keeps on changing & nothing stays the same
    The Pillar & the Met have gone, the Royal long since pulled down
    As the great unyielding concrete makes a city of my town

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If they demolish Poolbeg it'll leave a little hole in the Dublin landscape.

Let's see if anyone gets the paradox/irony of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

No
    While they are somewhat iconic to the Dublin landscape/skyline, I think they should be knocked down.

They could replace them with a pair of wind turbines, I'd say that area gets a fair bit of wind!

No
    A quick question to those that want to keep 'em,
    Would you be prepaired to pay for their maintenance?, they will need many thousands of euros spent on them to keep them safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We could scrap that poxy spike in o'connell street and use the money we have to pay for maintenance on it to sort out poolbeg instead. We'd probably have a fair wad of changeleft over and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

ScumLord wrote: »
    Imagine if they weren't there, do you think anyone would support the building of chimneys at Poolbeg?

no-one would support building giant pyramids in Egpyt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Redevelop (FULL STOP)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No
    goose2005 wrote: »
    no-one would support building giant pyramids in Egpyt either.
    They would have at the time and would probably love to do so now they just can't because it's cost prohibitive.

These are just common industrial buildings with no significance other than the Dubs have become used to them. It's an age old tail of people becoming attached to the most peculiar things.

The site could be used for much better purposes other than a graveyard for defunct buildings.

They're not pretty, they're not useful, they have no historical significance and they'll cost a fortune to maintain when their not doing anything. Sounds like a perfect monument to the Ireland of the 90s I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Why do Dubs have such an obsession with phallic objects?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Archeron

Stick a viewing platfom and a lift on them and people will pay through the nostrils to go up them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

No
    Based on some of the replies here I'm surprised there wasn't an armed uprising when the "iconic" Ballymun towers were knocked. You must be the same heroic preservationists that are keeping Plunkett tower still standing "Cause it's the first thing you see when arriving in Dublin airport" no doubt.

Here's another eyesore that was rightfully knocked and nobody missed.
    http://www.fionnbarcallanan.com/Place/Old%20Gasometer%2078B-280D-25.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

i would miss them if they were knocked down

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I most certainly would anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I really hope the ESB keep them. I love flying into Dublin airport and seeing the chimneys, lets me know I'm home or well nearer to Cork than I was anyway. Love the view of the chimneys at the end of the Pride video by U2 as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

ESB close down a waste burning station rather than close a coal plant.

Jolly good show chaps.

Advertisement