Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hardware Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

the story I read about AMD's RAM was headlined, "AMD quietly release range of RAM" xD

If any company does that you know it's going to be sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Just noticed this RAM kit from G-Skill. 1600MHz CL7 @ 1.35v!!! The fact that they run at 1.35, means there is a lot of headroom for overclocking and they already have very tight timings for 1600Mhz. Not even sure if the times are right or if it's a typo. Has anybody got them?

Just to follow up on this. The specs seem to be 100%
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=247

Surely there is a catch I'm not seeing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Just to follow up on this. The specs seem to be 100%
    http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=247

Surely there is a catch I'm not seeing?

Its twice the price of most other kits? :P

deconduo wrote: »
    Its twice the price of most other kits? :P
    Ah so there's the typo. It said 8GB the other day. *cough cough*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Intel is selling upgrade codes to unlock features of a few of their low end CPUs.
    https://retailupgrades.intel.com/Page.aspx?Name=Benefits

There's a few extra details on Anandtech, to save you from looking up the model numbers.

I heard of this before but didn't think much of it. I'd say Intel are testing the waters for viability. In later series, we might see it appearing throughout their entire range. I wonder how hackers will do in their efforts to copy the software. I also wonder how much longer "free" upgrades with overclocking processors will last with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

scummy imo.

charging you extra for unlocking something your processor can already do. especially the extra cache ones. and to lock it down so no hardware OC was bad enough.

future is looking bleak. next series may have no 'K' SKU at all initially but a seperate purchase later to give different OCs approved by Intel.

I hope hackers go to town on this.

Sandy Bridge-E prices are out according to this link... and its the same as the socket its replacing. also interesting that there is a rumour about a new i7K socket 1155 on the way.

and stolen from OCUK:
    Model Cores Threads Frequency Turbo Frequency L3 cache Price

Core i7-3820 4 8 3.6 GHz 3.9 GHz 10 MB $294 Core i7-3930K 6 12 3.2 GHz 3.8 GHz 12 MB $583 Core i7-3960X 6 12 3.3 GHz 3.9 GHz 15 MB $999

15mb cache is impressive, but @$1000 I guess it should be.

I'm wondering how much better SBe will actually be than ivy bridge when ivy is on 22nm and a more refined SB anyway?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    also interesting that there is a rumour about a new i7K socket 1155 on the way.

2800K to replace the 2600K, iirc.

Monotype wrote: »
    2800K to replace the 2600K, iirc.
    Anything more than a speed bump?

• Advertisement

I don't know. I just thought 'replace' was an interesting term as it could mean cheaper 2600Ks. If it was just a bit more than the 2500K, it could be worth getting in more situations.

There were also reports of Intel not supplying heatsinks with this lineup. I don't think that worked out too well for AMD when they did it with their early black editions.

Edit: 2800K not until 1H 2012.
    http://wccftech.com/intel-sandy-bridgee-lga-2011-pricing-leaked-core-i7-3960x-extreme-edition-cost-1000us/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am very impatient (they told me that the RMA might take up to 6 weeks for my 6850 to be fixed) and I was thinking of getting a 6950 anyway for BF3.

It would run OK on my super flower amazon 550w?

apparently sandy E will come without a heatsink, but id stake money on the 2800k having a heatsink. its probably nothing more than a higher clocked 2700k.

Looks like Q3 '11 to me. (as denoted by "≥ i7-2600k")

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I am very impatient (they told me that the RMA might take up to 6 weeks for my 6850 to be fixed) and I was thinking of getting a 6950 anyway for BF3.

It would run OK on my super flower amazon 550w?

Yeah.

• Advertisement

^^^ Look forward to reviews revisited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I'm getting an M4 this week, how do you update the firmware on it?

If it's the same as updating for the C300, first you need to change it to IDE in the CMOS. Then you'll need to make a bootable USB drive with DOS on it. Just enter the command and you're done.

It's a little bit of hassle but it's not bad once you get a hold of the DOS files and a bootable USB tool. You can find these on the internet or I can dig up the files if you're not sure. It will tell you in the update guide with the firmware anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

If it's the same as updating for the C300, first you need to change it to IDE in the CMOS. Then you'll need to make a bootable USB drive with DOS on it. Just enter the command and you're done.

It's a little bit of hassle but it's not bad once you get a hold of the DOS files and a bootable USB tool. You can find these on the internet or I can dig up the files if you're not sure. It will tell you in the update guide with the firmware anyway.

I just finished reading the guide they have on the site a few minutes ago, they supply a bootable ISO image to upgrade the firmware :)

Really excited for this build, according to DHL it'll arrive either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Oh well that sounds a lot easier. I thought it was a bit ridiculous having to boot to DOS to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

http://wccftech.com/amd-fx-bulldozer-chips-start-shipping-week/

Looks like we wont have to wait too much longer for the first of these Bulldozer chips. Im looking forward to seeing what they can do.

While the whole intel/AMD thing doesnt bother me I would like to see them at least catch up with the Sandybridge.

any reason why HWmonitor isnt showing both my gpu's temps?
    ive got 6950's crossfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

Hey guys, i'm ordering an i5 2500k and a Gigabyte z68x UD3P. I also want to upgrade RAM but dont really understand all the Numbers and stats about RAM. I was wondering would anybody know the best 8GB kit to go with the i5 and z68x?

Just grab the cheapst DDR3 kit, it'll be fine. If you're ordering from HWVS, this is what you'd go for:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

Just grab the cheapst DDR3 kit, it'll be fine. If you're ordering from HWVS, this is what you'd go for:
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44315&agid=1192

Would i see improved performance in a kit with higher mhz? Like 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz?

Ryan451 wrote: »
    Would i see improved performance in a kit with higher mhz? Like 1600mhz instead of 1333mhz?
    The increase in performance is miniscule, and not something you'd notice.

The increase in performance is miniscule, and not something you'd notice.

Ok, thanks, i will get on that. Time to watch the X Factor :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Anybody know if it's possible to buy the reference AMD 6450? I can't seem to find a 3rd party version that uses GDDR5 and not DDR3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Baza210 wrote: »
    Anybody know if it's possible to buy the reference AMD 6450? I can't seem to find a 3rd party version that uses GDDR5 and not DDR3.

Did a quick search there and it doesn't seem as though they're on the market at all

Edit:
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/10013120/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-6450-512-mb-gd.html?srcid=867&key=YU96cRc9a+beL9ojAzRQDCofEiMLEYS7H+sRNQU0MxxweEdxa4ONBt0nUGFSA3lPFCFYXA==

Found one :)

I found that one too, cheers. The HSF looks small enough that it hopefully won't be noticeable in a MicroServer. There are no passive DDR5s sadly.

• Advertisement

In a server system would it really matter? I'd take a passive over a noisy slight improvement.

sapphire-hd6450-512mb-ddr5-64bit-memory-graphics-card-frsc-s6450512d5.jpg

The HSF is tiny. Plus there are already 120 mm and 40 mm case and PSU fans, I doubt it will change much. The performance (at least with the AMD reference card) is markedly improved, however.

ut3_1024_768.gif

The Sapphire version that I bought is 512 MB though, so I'm guessing it would be somewhere in between the two (the Sapphire shown in this graph is the passive DDR3 model vs the AMD reference DDR5).

I was on komplett this morning and spotted A-Data HM-650 650 Watt PSU for €59. What is this madness, I thought, doesn't Adata sell RAM and SSDs?

Well it seems they sell PSUs now too, and they're not too bad apparently. It's based on CWT's PSH II series - similar to Corsair's GS and TX PSUs and it's modular.

At €59 delivered, it looks better than anything else around at that price.

Reviews
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/adata-hm-series-650w-power-supply-review/
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AData/HM-650W/1.html

That's a big ugly blue label though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

So I bought this board.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131668

I want a mid tower for this. What sort of a case do I need? I take it a ATX case but how will I know if it is correctly speced for all the inputs/outputs on the board (eg: usb, hdmi etc...).

Will this suffice ? Does it have the correct layout for all the ports on the board?
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2023677

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

DannyD wrote: »
    So I bought this board.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131668

I want a mid tower for this. What sort of a case do I need? I take it a ATX case but how will I know if it is correctly speced for all the inputs/outputs on the board (eg: usb, hdmi etc...).

Will this suffice ? Does it have the correct layout for all the ports on the board?
    http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2023677

Any ATX will do. Your motherboard will come with a rectangular I/O plate which has all the correct slots. You just put that into place in the case, and you're set.

It looks like this:
    08h-302_ioshield-5187548.jpg

I was on komplett this morning and spotted A-Data HM-650 650 Watt PSU for €59. What is this madness, I thought, doesn't Adata sell RAM and SSDs?

Well it seems they sell PSUs now too, and they're not too bad apparently. It's based on CWT's PSH II series - similar to Corsair's GS and TX PSUs and it's modular.

At €59 delivered, it looks better than anything else around at that price.

Reviews
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/adata-hm-series-650w-power-supply-review/
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AData/HM-650W/1.html

Is this as good as the super flower amazon series of psu? I don't think that A-Data is as catchy of a name as super flower though :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Very close. The A-Data is basically a slightly cheaper Corsair TX650 (PSH2 platform). The Amazon 650W competes with them directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

check out the insanely huge case, as well of the contents :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Now THAT is a lunacy booth rig! :eek::D

One of those little devil cases was for sale on adverts.ie for a while, still might be. Has a custom powder coated chassis no less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Lads is there such a thing as a sort of beginners kit to build your own basic PC on the cheap? I've always wanted to give it a go but i'd hate to spend a load of money on bits only to make a balls of something.

zero19 wrote: »
    Lads is there such a thing as a sort of beginners kit to build your own basic PC on the cheap? I've always wanted to give it a go but i'd hate to spend a load of money on bits only to make a balls of something.

I suppose the best thing in your case to do is get a old desktop PC that you never use and try to take apart / re install it. It wont be that much different from when you install a new system.

zero19 wrote: »
    The only kit you need is a Philips head screw driver, and an optional extra is a static wristband.

Also a clean work surface. I use my dining room table :cool:

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    One of those little devil cases was for sale on adverts.ie for a while, still might be. Has a custom powder coated chassis no less.

Ya its still there.If I had Eur300 :)

Wups forgot the link

http://www.adverts.ie/hardware/custom-littledevil-v8-pc-watercooling-case/604016

• Advertisement

Is this as good as the super flower amazon series of psu? I don't think that A-Data is as catchy of a name as super flower though :pac:

You're right, super flower is a pretty mad name that you'd remember more.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    Very close. The A-Data is basically a slightly cheaper Corsair TX650 (PSH2 platform). The Amazon 650W competes with them directly.

But the A-data has the big advantage of being modular.
    Burgo wrote: »

check out the insanely huge case, as well of the contents :eek:

You could fit two boards in there! Or half a corpse.
    I suppose the best thing in your case to do is get a old desktop PC that you never use and try to take apart / re install it. It wont be that much different from when you install a new system.

I agree, although if it's more than 6 or 7 years old, there'll be a lot of ports and parts which haven't been around for a while. At least we don't have to put up with those messy ribbon cables anymore.

Could anyone recommend me a replacement HSF for my x4 955? Its stock one is supposedly pretty good, but mine is extremely noisy even when at low temps at ~1800 rpm. Looking at the Scythe Mugen.

Scythe mugen 2/3 is good and it will be a lot quieter. It's huge in comparison to the stock cooler. It's a bit of a pain to install though.
    You could always get something halfway like the freezer pro 7 or 13. It would be quieter but if you're overclocking the mugen would be more suited.

Okay, looking at a Mugen 3 for the CPU and a Nexus Real Silent for the case. Not sure if it's the Basic or PWM version that I need. My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3. Also going to pick up Scythe Slip Stream from the SPCR Microserver Review.

http://www.techpowerup.com/151949/AMD-FX-Series-Processors-Up-For-Pre-Order.html

Looks like the 8 core FX chip is going to come in a little more expensive than the 2500k. Guess its down to performance then. Gaming performance to be more percise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement