Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassin's Creed Rogue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Look at this place... How far back in time have I travelled?"
    "Err... we haven't put you in the Animus yet..."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's like they think if it doesn't sound like a cartoon leprechaun, people won't get that it's Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,314 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Angron wrote: »
    It's like they think if it doesn't sound like a cartoon leprechaun, people won't get that it's Irish.

I'm sure they're probably just "Yeah, Irish people don't sound like that now, but they did back then. Probably. Maybe."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    But, he sounds nothing like Roy Keane. The guy taking the piss there seems to have about as much knowledge of Irish accents as Ubisoft.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

Can't see this being much cop to be honest. We've already discovered colonial America remember.

Unity is where it's at. Viva La Revolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

4Dlolz wrote: »
    Unity is where it's at. Viva La Revolution!

If only. I can see this being like III, in that some people will like it, but those with no interest in the French Revolution, or France and French people in general (ie: me, due to a deep seated hatred of my French teacher (read: devil) at school), it's probably gonne be pants.

I'm hoping i'm wrong, but this is why i'm way more excited for Rogue than Unity. Even with the dodgy accent, which, honestly, i've come to accept in gaming. Or media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

If only. I can see this being like III, in that some people will like it, but those with no interest in the French Revolution, or France and French people in general (ie: me, due to a deep seated hatred of my French teacher (read: devil) at school), it's probably gonne be pants.

I'm hoping i'm wrong, but this is why i'm way more excited for Rogue than Unity. Even with the dodgy accent, which, honestly, i've come to accept in gaming. Or media.

Understood. But I think it's going to be epic exploring Paris in the late 1700's. The French Revolution is a very interesting period. Napoleon rising and causing havoc will be brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

And still no sign of an AC game set in feudal Japan...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

4Dlolz wrote: »
    Understood. But I think it's going to be epic exploring Paris in the late 1700's. The French Revolution is a very interesting period. Napoleon rising and causing havoc will be brilliant. :D

And i believe you, like a lot of fans of AC III, will be in the minority. Again, i hope to be proven wrong, and i will still end up getting it.
    krudler wrote: »

I get a sense they're saving it for something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I seem this mentioned a lot, but I don't really understand why the obsession with it.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I seem this mentioned a lot, but I don't really understand why the obsession with it.

An AC game where you're roaming around Japan on horseback with a samurai sword fighting ninjas and freerunning around imperial cities? Hell yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Sonics2k wrote: »

Because it would be similar to a modern day Tenchu game...and Tenchu was awesome......

I think a problem with many of the normal Irish accents is that a lot of people outside of Ireland, and inside it have trouble understanding it. You only have to look at some of the criticism levelled at Kerry Condon in Luck to see how people struggled with her accent, though to be somewhat fair Milch's use of authentic dialogue and Mann's shooting style did play a part. As odd as the accent in the trailer sounds, at least it's clear and there's no moment where you're wondering just what the hell did he say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

An AC game where you're roaming around Japan on horseback with a samurai sword fighting ninjas and freerunning around imperial cities? Hell yes.
    I would throw as much money at Ubisoft to play this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I think a problem with many of the normal Irish accents is that a lot of people outside of Ireland, and inside it have trouble understanding it.

It's not even that really, but more that people in north america really struggle to place an irish accent unless it's an incredibly stereotypical one. People genuinely have no idea where I'm from and seem surprised when I tell them I'm Irish. I've got a pretty neutral accent, but I still spent a quarter of a century in north county dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think a problem with many of the normal Irish accents is that a lot of people outside of Ireland, and inside it have trouble understanding it. You only have to look at some of the criticism levelled at Kerry Condon in Luck to see how people struggled with her accent, though to be somewhat fair Milch's use of authentic dialogue and Mann's shooting style did play a part. As odd as the accent in the trailer sounds, at least it's clear and there's no moment where you're wondering just what the hell did he say.

As far as I can recall, Luck's downfall wasn't the accents, but the sound mixing and editing. The audience couldn't hear the dialogue. It doesn't matter what accent you speak in if nobody can hear it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

COYVB wrote: »
    It's not even that really, but more that people in north america really struggle to place an irish accent unless it's an incredibly stereotypical one. People genuinely have no idea where I'm from and seem surprised when I tell them I'm Irish. I've got a pretty neutral accent, but I still spent a quarter of a century in north county dublin

A lot of people hear the British and Irish accents and assume that they are one and the same, I've been asked by a number of Americans where in London I'm from even though I've spent about month there in all my 28 years.
    Kirby wrote: »
    As far as I can recall, Luck's downfall wasn't the accents, but the sound mixing and editing. The audience couldn't hear the dialogue. It doesn't matter what accent you speak in if nobody can hear it. :P

The sound mixing was part of it, Mann's decision to only use audio caught on location meant that background noise was an issue but there were a lot of complaints about the Irish accent in particular. Even in Ireland people felt that it was hard to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm starting the journey guys! My new PS3 arrived yesterday and one of the games I got with it was Assassin's Creed (the first one). Looking forward to playing it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm starting the journey guys! My new PS3 arrived yesterday and one of the games I got with it was Assassin's Creed (the first one). Looking forward to playing it! :D

Hope you like collecting flags..... :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Kirby wrote: »
    Hope you like collecting flags..... :p

Yeah, as good as it was for it's time, maybe you should watch a youtube video of highlights from Assassins Creed and move on to the second one, just for your own sanity.

It's rare that I'd recommend doing that, but in this case, I have rarely seen a game so repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thats a **** way to start your PS3 career lol. Get something like Uncharted or Tlou instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just looking at those gameplay clips - looking like little more than an expansion pack to the last game and a bit of a palette change. Am going to be surprised if this turns out to be anything other than a quick cash in!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭DenMan

Thats a **** way to start your PS3 career lol. Get something like Uncharted or Tlou instead.

Haha! Also got Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XIII and Ghost Recon 2 Advanced Warfighter.

Haha! Also got Resident Evil 6, Final Fantasy XIII and Ghost Recon 2 Advanced Warfighter.

Trade em all in and get Dark Souls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Jaysus, you should not be allowed to buy games for yourself! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Its unsurprising but AC: Unity seems to have all the pre-release attention. Now that it appears that Unity is suffering from terrible performance issues I wonder if that will give Rogue the better reviews.

I'm still unclear if there is a story connection and which one should be played first. I think the setting for this looks great but having to play it with a Dualshock 3 and not the 4 is going take a bit of getting used to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The accent in the launch trailer...facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just started playing this tonight. I finished the introductory story mission and sure enough, its more Assassin's Creed.

I have to say though the character models are pretty rough. This is going from playing ACIV on the PS4. I also don't enjoy going back to the Dualshock 3 after getting used to the 4.

Advertisement