Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 1 HD Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can't wait for the exclusive pre-order bonuses like 'Chris starts with the Lock Pick, only with Gamestop!'

I have a feeling this could be 30 quid on PS4, would be crap if it was more but still would have to get it. Will be nice to see what the trophies are as well.

Hopefully while the devs are working on this remake, they get to see what made the series so absolutely brilliant and try and go back to their roots for Resident Evil 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the exclusive pre-order bonuses like 'Chris starts with the Lock Pick, only with Gamestop!'

I have a feeling this could be 30 quid on PS4, would be crap if it was more but still would have to get it. Will be nice to see what the trophies are as well.

Hopefully while the devs are working on this remake, they get to see what made the series so absolutely brilliant and try and go back to their roots for Resident Evil 7.

Don't forget the weapon camos for the mandatory online multiplayer mode :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd have been happy with more of Lost in Nightmares to be honest. It had everything. Well, more than 2 enemy types would have been nice but at least it was horror.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some pics from the PS3 version.

10177942_820830777937811_5176868439454040882_n.jpg?oh=d3bf6d2e510090554b1f757ca1b3293b&oe=544084B7

1497803_820830667937822_6122411681562225489_n.jpg?oh=fcd28ad5ffb49dda8643f1980cf1df61&oe=544EB980

10525984_820830754604480_214486856308742754_n.jpg

A pic from the XBOX One version leaked as well

resident_evil_1_jill1.jpg

t62bbfb_half-trollface.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

Played the gamecube version last week, took me about 4 maybe 5 rooms to get used to the controls, fantastic game and a wonderful addition to the series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Eh, no WiiU version? I shall hold onto my GameCube version so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I never played the Gamecube version but always mad to try it. Will definitely be picking it up!

This game was truly a class act, some might argue it was the last decent entry in the series before it went more down the action route (Revelations Aside)

I really don't see what this will add that won't **** all over the Gamecube remake, just "proper" controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Eh, no WiiU version? I shall hold onto my GameCube version so.

Isn't 'original' version is already playable on WiiU? Or am I thinking about the Wii?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

REmake and Resi Evil 0 were rereleased on Wii.

I've got all the GC ones apart from Code Veronica. Really must play them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

CastorTroy wrote: »
    REmake and Resi Evil 0 were rereleased on Wii.

I've got all the GC ones apart from Code Veronica. Really must play them. :)

Code Veronica is probably my favourite game in the series, but it was best played on the Dreamcast, it was woefully ported to the GC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You've be surprised with how well the old games hold up and I've never had any problem with tank controls. Anything is better than the god awful Resi 6 anyway.

The original assets were rendered in 4:3 so if they are in widescreen they will probably be cropped unfortunately.

I played Parasite eve 2 recently and it has Tank controls. It took me few minutes to get used to it again ( I cant remember when the last time I played with such controls lol ) and then I was flying it.
    Tank controls were the least on RE franchise problems. If remake is still with Tank controls - great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally we just need zero now then all the Resis are on my ps3/4 systems:D

I LOVE THIS GAME

how it sounds and looks the music the setting everything is great

I so wanna get back into that mansion and survive through it all over again its a game thats great to play in the dark at night with headphones
    shame we have to wait till early next year though:(

I would love to know if we can skip the loading doors my pressing X twice or something that would be cool I know RE2 pc version allowed you to skip the doors by pressing twice on PS4 there really is no reason for it not to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

it would be cool if they decided this is the new beginning for RESIDENT EVIL and made a direct sequel to this game after its released because this is classed as a remake already and can follow a different route than the original story that started on RE1 on the PS1:D

or they could do a full blown proper modern remake of RE2 mixed wth some 3 damm I would love that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I bought a Gamecube with this game, it was the straw that broke the camels back for the system for me. It still looks stunning on Gamecube so should look really nice if they have the original art assets for the backgrounds and can up res them. It's good more people can get to play this because for me it's the best in the series of traditional Resi's.

It really does, I still have my GC version someplace, I played it maybe 2 years ago and had forgotten how amazing it looks. I played the ps1 version to death back in the day so seeing the graphical improvements and the extra parts (Lisa Trevor, shudder) made it feel fresh again.

It's a pity RE2 never got the proper remake treatment with graphics like the REmake one, would have been amazing.

The report I read only mentioned a digital release in 2015 so I don't know if they plan on releasing a physical copy at retail as well. If it is a digital only release I will not bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the physical copy will come with a Jill Sandwich ;)

lets-make-a-jill-sandwhich.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    It really does, I still have my GC version someplace, I played it maybe 2 years ago and had forgotten how amazing it looks. I played the ps1 version to death back in the day so seeing the graphical improvements and the extra parts (Lisa Trevor, shudder) made it feel fresh again.

It's a pity RE2 never got the proper remake treatment with graphics like the REmake one, would have been amazing.

The commercial failure of REmake did lead to Resi 4 soat least something good came of it.

So you can't really "HD" a game with pre-rendered backgrounds unless they commission an artist to completely re-create the scenes... which they didn't... so we can't even get past the 4:3 aspect ratio. The best it seems we can get out of this is a sharper image with some filters. The 16:9 is fake too, obviously since they're not re-creating the backgrounds.

O9YL0bT.jpg

The bottom image is the HD, top is emulated. Notice the lack of image on screen, you can't even see the ceiling anymore. Apparently the game will support a 4:3 graphic option which is nice unless you like your HD remasters with even less graphical content than the original... but if you're playing the "HD" with 4:3 aspect... what is even the point anymore? This is Silent Hill HD cropping and graphics malarkey all over again.

>Crop 4:3
    >Call it 16:9
    >Add filters
    >Call it a remaster

Nice try, CAPCOM. You almost had me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What else did you expect? The original render files are probably all lost now so they can't be rerendered so all they can do is touch up what assets they have. If they are going to re-render the backdrops the budget would skyrocket and they might as well make a new game. At least 4:3 aspect ratio is an options. At least it's not as appalling as the Valkyrie Profile rerelease on PSP with no 4:3 option so you had to play is 16:10 fat bastard mode with a blur filter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,459 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How would Capcom lose the original render files exactly? Surely they'd be archived or something. Especially since this is Capcom we're talking about and you never know how many versions of one game you can release.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

What else did you expect?

A HD remaster.
    If they are going to re-render the backdrops the budget would skyrocket

Yeah, apparently skyrockets from a few hundred to a few grand. Honestly, a dozen or 2 professional artists could have all the backdrops re-rendered in HD within a few months and we know CAPCOM could afford that... but god forbid they actually put time and money into a HD remaster.

It's also pathetic that the PS3 and 360 versions aren't in 1080. They could totally handle this game in full HD, a bloody gamecube could! It's even less worth it on those systems because you're getting upscaled 720p... prepare for the aliasing.

Then we have 30fps cap. No big deal, it's a slow-paced single player game with set-camera. However, the original game had 60fps for menus and door opening scenes. I'm not trying to say that's important... but if all versions of this game, even the current gen PS4/XBOne ones are FULLY capped at 30fps (which earlier info confirmed) even for these moments... then all HD releases will officially perform worse than the gamecube.

How would Capcom lose the original render files exactly? Surely they'd be archived or something. Especially since this is Capcom we're talking about and you never know how many versions of one game you can release.

Games companies time and again show how little they care about archiving old material. Most lose the source code to their games. Many retro collections are using roms with watermarks from rom sites. This is the same Capcom that cancelled the DS gamebay megaman collection because they lost the source code to all their games. Only Nintendo seems to archive it's old dev resources.
    Yeah, apparently skyrockets from a few hundred to a few grand. Honestly, a dozen or 2 professional artists could have all the backdrops re-rendered in HD within a few months and we know CAPCOM could afford that... but god forbid they actually put time and money into a HD remaster.

Well you've just shown a complete lack of understanding of software design. HD remastered aren't easy especially ones requiring emulation. It's a massive ng coding task that will run well into a few hundred thousand. Re rendering those backgrounds as well from scratch would send the budget into a couple of million.

Games companies time and again show how little they care about archiving old material. Most lose the source code to their games. Many retro collections are using roms with watermarks from rom sites. This is the same Capcom that cancelled the DS gamebay megaman collection because they lost the source code to all their games. Only Nintendo seems to archive it's old dev resources.

That's depressing. I would have thought that, given the necessary amount of time, manpower and capital needed to create such assets then creating a basic archive would be the natural conclusion of the design process. This is just sloppiness.

H. H. Asquith

especially ones requiring emulation. It's a massive ng coding task that will run well into a few hundred thousand

That I know.

Re rendering those backgrounds as well from scratch would send the budget into a couple of million

The backgrounds are pre-rendered... literally static images with occasional 3D props and sprites of animation (like candle flames). I'm not saying it would cost nothing to re-make these but it would be worlds cheaper to do it these days with the technology we have now than it was when the game was first released. It's definitely within CAPCOM's capabilities and budget. I agree that it would exceed their planned budget for this release, though... because it's just another HD re-release. CAPCOM doesn't seem to know how to do anything right these days so this is like a desperate attempt to milk as much out of what they DID do right in the past without investing too much money or taking any risks... which is no surprise at all.
    That's depressing. I would have thought that, given the necessary amount of time, manpower and capital needed to create such assets then creating a basic archive would be the natural conclusion of the design process. This is just sloppiness.

Konami lost the SOURCE CODE for Silent Hill 2 - And we all know how that turned out. Silent Hill HD abomination.

Konami lost the SOURCE CODE for Silent Hill 2 - And we all know how that turned out. Silent Hill HD abomination.

I'll be forever grateful that the console Gods allowed my dying PS2 to run the original version of it. This console wouldn't play games, CDs or anything so I ran thought it as quickly as possible.

How companies lose these assets is just unforgivable.

H. H. Asquith

They might be static 2D images but those images are of high detailed 3D renders which are not cheap and easy to produce.

They might be static 2D images but those images are of high detailed 3D renders which are not cheap and easy to produce.

I know, I never said cheap and easy. Just cheaper and easier than when it was originally done (3D software has come a long way) and not outside the capabilities of CAPCOM who have made many big budget AAA titles.
    How companies lose these assets is just unforgivable.

It's just like Retr0gamer said, they don't have a good record of properly archiving their games. Some of the rarest arcade games are even lost to time because of this. For Silent Hill 2, they would've been better off reverse engineering the PC retail version like the better HD contractors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Cant wait for this, currently half way through a playthrough on Dolphin emu.

Dolphin REmake vs Remaster
    ibrLNHh2fZuQpM.gif
    iHwuigoku7cBT.gif
    ibyt6uwf6E93fW.gif
    iby538dg7D656b.gif
    ibz8tuGFv9mGon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

For Silent Hill 2, they would've been better off reverse engineering the PC retail version like the better HD contractors out there.

Dear god, you've no idea how much THAT would cost :\ You'd be better off starting from scratch than reverse engineering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It most certainly would have been but it's worth bearing in mind that when you're dealing with source assets for games you're talking about extremely large quantities of data, many times the size of the final install size. I guess when it's a big publisher it's easier for things to go wrong when you've got multiple builds for multiple projects being stored on a volatile medium. :(
    I know, I never said cheap and easy. Just cheaper and easier than when it was originally done (3D software has come a long way) and not outside the capabilities of CAPCOM who have made many big budget AAA titles.
    Alas, not by much. Sure, the tools and pipelines have improved but without the source assets the entire scenes would need to be remodelled, textured and lit for the remaster. You're essentially talking about rebuilding the entire game from an art perspective so "cheaper" doesn't really come into it when your budget has just exploded in such a manner.

Advertisement