Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby 2011 Video Games

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Got a preview of Rugby World Cup 2011 at the weekend - no hands on but did see it in action...Any questions that I can attempt to answer? Got to speak to developers for a little while too.

Preview at Clickonline.com
    All eyes will be on New Zealand in September with the start of the 2011 Rugby World Cup. However, to tide fans over until that point, the Rugby World Cup 2011 game is set to bring the action to living rooms everyone. Come August, players will be given the opportunity to put speculation to rest and attempt to win the Webb Ellis cup.

When early screenshots were released, fans were taken aback. The shots looked like they belonged in a previous generation console release circa 1998. The graphics have improved significantly over these early glimpses. While still not completely true to life, the game is looking good. Thankfully, HB Studios has indicated that graphics are not the be-all-and-end-all. Instead, effort and focus is being placed on the gameplay.

It would be easy to create the perfect Rugby game if it was as start-stop as American Football, or based on positional movement like Soccer. Depending on what way you look at it, it is a blessing and a curse that Rugby is not played like this. Rugby games have struggled to capture the essence of the sport. Even previous greats were simply a case of shipping it along the line until there was a gap, or an unstoppable player got the ball and steamrolled the opposition. HB Studios is looking to change this and bring the modern game to digital form. When there is a ruck, players will have multiple options. Forwards can pick and drive, the scrum half can have a cut or box kick, or individual plays can be set up with loops and switches. Of course, at the same time, players can go for the traditional flinging it out to the wing approach.

The key to winning the World Cup could be fluid offloading and quick releases. This has been implemented into Rugby World Cup 2011. Like set plays, these relies on pressing a face button in conjunction with the action. Offloading and quick pickups of a loose ball are simply a press of a button. Naturally, there are risks attached. A loose offload could be the difference between a win and a loss. However, if timed correctly it could be the key to unlocking a defence.

Rugby World Cup 2011 is not a simulation game, nor is it a full arcade title. It is a mix of the two that captures the essentials. HB Studios is more interested in creating moments of elation and fun, rather than moments of frustration. Players can undertake mazy runs and possibly wrong foot defenders, players can put in a cheeky chip and chase, and others will put in thumping tackles.

As would be expected, Rugby World Cup 2011 allows players to pick their favourite qualified nation and take them on a rollercoaster journey to life the Webb Ellis trophy. In addition, players can undertake an international test against the computer or friends. If players wish to practice their kicking, or challenge friends to a shootout, the option is available from the main menu. Friends and random strangers can also be challenged online. Finally, Rugby World Cup 2011 allows players to choose a nation and undertake a warm up tour of the opposite hemisphere. If all that wasn’t enough, there is the option to randomise pools and play out an alternative universe version of the World Cup.

The elephant in the room is, of course, another Rugby title that will be released around the same time. Rugby World Cup 2011 has many licenses, but has missed out on the All Blacks and Quantas Australia. General Manager of HB Studios, Alastair Jarvis, said time and time again that they would respect the licenses. So, it is unlikely that New Zealand will feature the likes of Ben Harter or Richard MacKawl.

To counter-act this somewhat, while still remaining respectful of the licenses, a player editor has been included. Appearances cannot be modified but names and attributes can be changed at will. This may prove useful coming closer to the World Cup itself, as there are often some wildcard selections; who would have predicted France’s final squad? Multiple roster files can be created. So if players want to make a superteam in one version that has attributes of 99 all round, another that is completely accurate and another that includes players who missed the cut, they can! PlayStation 3 owners will also be able to share these roster files, so someone else can do all the donkeywork!

Rugby fans have had to wait four years since the last release, but Rugby World Cup 2011 is shaping up to be a fun and exciting title. While it is accessible, there is some depth to it and manages to create a blend of simulation and arcade fun that should entertain across the board. Rugby World Cup 2011 is a title to track until it engages on 26 August.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Is it all about top end speed? Every rugby game in this decade has been speed over skill, do certain players serve the purpose of being a good battering ram that can break tackles but not hit that top end speed, or do they all play the same.

Unfortunately didn't get to touch it myself but certain players seem more able to break tackles. You can also dummy step so might be able to get past full back that way. Would have loved the hands-on to see if there were differences in players though! Sorry that doesn't help too much.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

So much games to buy already, and now two rugby games :eek: i have a feeling my hand will get glued to the controller

• Registered Users Posts: 37,892 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

think i have to buy the 2 games when they come out.

Rugby World Cup 2011 for the world cup and international tours

Rugby Challenge for the Club teams, Six Nations etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was in game the other day and spotted a couple of the older PS2 rugby games so picked up the 3 of them for a fiver. Got Rugby Challenge 2006, and 2 of the EA ones (rugby and rugby 2004).

Been playing Rugby Challenge for a bit , its good fun. To my shame its the first time I've played a rugby game. Only thing I'm finding annoyign is when theres a ruck out near one of the touchlines, half the backs line up off behind the advertising boards.:mad:

Looking forward to the new games. I'm very much a man driven by new shiney graphics.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

Was in game the other day and spotted a couple of the older PS2 rugby games so picked up the 3 of them for a fiver. Got Rugby Challenge 2006, and 2 of the EA ones (rugby and rugby 2004).

Been playing Rugby Challenge for a bit , its good fun. To my shame its the first time I've played a rugby game. Only thing I'm finding annoyign is when theres a ruck out near one of the touchlines, half the backs line up off behind the advertising boards.:mad:

Looking forward to the new games. I'm very much a man driven by new shiney graphics.:)

Give ea rugby 2008 a go. Loved that game. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rugby 08 was a good game but I wish that had an online function. The computer opponent is far too easy, even at the most difficult level.

Rugby 08 was a good game but I wish that had an online function. The computer opponent is far too easy, even at the most difficult level.

That's one of the things they said they are looking at with RWC2011. Lot of people complained about that so it's going to be tougher to beat the better nations at a higher level apparently. Plus there is online, so that might tick two of your boxes!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Rugby 08 was a good game

The AI was woeful, they had some of the rules wrong (penalty for crooked throw at lineout) and rucking and scrummaging was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

The HB studios game has confirmed an official partnership with WRU Welsh Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Have to say, I'm not pleased with that video. The rucking system just seems to pile every player in like a scrum, thus opening up so much space out wide. The passing looks very similar to EA's passing. Plus the commentators are dreadful. It's so chopped. However, I'm a sucker for graphics so I'll probably play the crap out of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

jolley123 wrote: »

Commentary needs a good deal of work still, prime example being around 9:30

cython wrote: »
    Commentary needs a good deal of work still, prime example being around 9:30

I thought the weird stop start try was a bit strange too, he found the gap but then instead of touching it down with a dive or something did this weird little sprint.

Still looking pretty badass though, player editor is class too

jolley123 wrote: »
    Have to say, I'm not pleased with that video. The rucking system just seems to pile every player in like a scrum, thus opening up so much space out wide. The passing looks very similar to EA's passing. Plus the commentators are dreadful. It's so chopped. However, I'm a sucker for graphics so I'll probably play the crap out of this game.

In fairness this isn't a "pro" player playing. If someone was playing me and did that tactic i just wouldn't compete for the ball untill it went out wide. Notice the lines start appearing as they press X indicating where the players going to ruck are coming from. If you overcommit in one ruck out wide you ll be left short on numbers to help out on any resulting play out wide and get turned over.

Think the passing is very different looks very much like their Rugby League series to be honest. I love how the supporting players turn the corner and try to get out wide looks really good compared to having a Flying V formed like in 08.

Just worried about the backline sometimes the 15 comes into the line then runs away back behind the line.

Edit: Also like the AI in 7.25 draws the player and passes. Hopefully that's a good sign for the harder difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Hate the grunting after a player makes a pass. Sounds so forced.

I think if the passing improves in next month or so this game will blow anything else way.

Look at 10.25 when the Winger recovers the ball, does a sick side step, then proceeds to throw the ball into touch. Would of been a brilliant try scored by the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Stev_o wrote: »
    I think if the passing improves in next month or so this game will blow anything else way.

Look at 10.25 when the Winger recovers the ball, does a sick side step, then proceeds to throw the ball into touch.

Dunno that seems pretty realistic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Things from the video:

31 stadiums.
    5 difficulty setting. This one is normal, 3/5.
    5 durations settings.
    3 time of day settings.
    3 weather conditions.

Have to say I really like the look of it. The organisation of defense and attack line seems a bit iffy though.

• Advertisement

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Things from the video:

31 stadiums.
    5 difficulty setting. This one is normal, 3/5.
    5 durations settings.
    3 time of day settings.
    3 weather conditions.

Have to say I really like the look of it. The organisation of defense and attack line seems a bit iffy though.

Who knows now what will happen due to the leak because according to the Devs they'v already gotten a angry email back from a licenser about the footage.

Hope stuff like the backlines will have been touched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

Stev_o wrote: »
    Who knows now what will happen due to the leak because according to the Devs they'v already gotten a angry email back from a licenser about the footage.

Hope stuff like the backlines will have been touched up.

Ah, the devs are just playing the sympathy card. It's not their fault. They have to release videos to retailers, the license holders know this. It's the fault of the person who leaked, they'll be black listed.

Image from the French forum that leaked the video. RD Pro 12 is in if you're to go by this. Brilliant news if true.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6542&d=1309981743

CouchSmart wrote: »

Ah, the devs are just playing the sympathy card. It's not their fault. They have to release videos to retailers, the license holders know this. It's the fault of the person who leaked, they'll be black listed.

Image from the French forum that leaked the video. RD Pro 12 is in if you're to go by this. Brilliant news if true.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6542&d=1309981743

If thats real I'm sold, be great to play with the RD pro 12 teams! Officially licenced teams at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭lynchy101

If thats real I'm sold, be great to play with the RD pro 12 teams! Officially licenced teams at that!

That cant be real or else Super 15 would be on the cover

They also dropped the Jonah Lomu tagline as far as I remember...

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Also, for any kind of official artwork (even early mock up), the franchise logos on the bottom all look very pixellated and low-resolution - you would imagine anyone internal would be able to get good quality versions of logos for anyone who had agreed to grant them a license, would you not?

they would be raster graphics and not just cut and paste from elsewhere yup.

it's a phony.

Glad they announced it :) The patented Sexton loop is in there!

🤪

• Advertisement

attachment.php?attachmentid=1002&d=1310043544

attachment.php?attachmentid=1001&d=1310043531

Advertisement