Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

!! History HL 2015 ... predictions, guesses and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tara13

Does anyone have any predictions on what essays they think might come up for the following:

• Dictatorship and democracy
    • Politics and society in Northern Ireland
    • The United States and the world

- As well as what type of contextualisation questions could come up for the documentary question.
    Learn Stalin and USSR very well, and know race relations, Montgomery bus boycott ect very very very well too I don't do NI

Hi, any chance anyone has an essay on Uniost Oppoaition to HR? I'm badly stuck 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 39 KA97

So i'm going to try to do 12 essays in the next week, i'm doing 4 in each u.s.a, northern ireland, and dictatorship and democracy. Any suggestions on what essays will most likely come up or what usually comes up, want to get a few essays in the bag but no idea where to start :) starting very late haha

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LeeLee97

KA97 wrote: »
    So i'm going to try to do 12 essays in the next week, i'm doing 4 in each u.s.a, northern ireland, and dictatorship and democracy. Any suggestions on what essays will most likely come up or what usually comes up, want to get a few essays in the bag but no idea where to start :) starting very late haha

Do Stalin and Lenin, haven't come up together in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ben2790

What are people expecting to come up in the United States and Wider World section?

US foreign policy (cuba, korea and berlin blockade)
    Johnson vs Truman
    race relations and MLK in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

KA97 wrote: »

What I'm covering:
    USA:
    Moon Landing
    Economy
    Race Relations
    Foreign policies and the two wars etc.

Northern Ireland:
    Coleraine controversy
    Welfare state
    Sunningdale/Anglo (Doing both individually and its possible they'll come up together)

Dictatorship:
    Stalin and characteristics of russia
    Britiain inbetween the war.
    Propaganda and how dictators used it.. etc

I think this should be enough honestly but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jason_H

Our teacher is a LC examiner, and he's gotten 2/4 right every year for each topic

DICTATORSHIP AND DEMOCRACY
    1- Compare Britain and Russian Economy
    2- Nazi Propaganda
    3- Vichy France
    4- New Technologies and the Home Front in Britain

USA AND THE WORLD
    1- Role of Women (Friedan and Monroe)
    2- Military and Information Technology
    3- Economy 63-89
    4- Age of consensus and Religion

MOVEMENTS FOR REFORM
    1- 85/86 Elections
    2- Religion and Education
    3- Land Agitation
    4- Redmond and Carson leadership

• Registered Users Posts: 13 brooksyy96

Jason_H wrote: »
    Our teacher is a LC examiner, and he's gotten 2/4 right every year for each topic

2- Nazi Propaganda
    3- Vichy France

USA AND THE WORLD
    3- Economy 63-89

MOVEMENTS FOR REFORM
    1- 85/86 Elections
    3- Land Agitation

seems very off

brooksyy96 wrote: »
    seems very off

Indeed... Russia and Britain in the same question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

2- Nazi Propaganda
    3- Vichy France

USA AND THE WORLD
    3- Economy 63-89

MOVEMENTS FOR REFORM
    1- 85/86 Elections
    3- Land Agitation

If these are in any way correct then I won't be able to write a single thing. It seems very, very off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Be aware that someone being an examiner gives them no particular advantage in predicting questions on the papers.

Tips on how best to approach the paper / answer questions (in general), yes, it might easily give a little extra insight into that all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

its Ireland 60th aniversary of joining the UN so a question on Ireland and joining the UN could come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 orangey24

I'm cutting down the courses a lot ...

Case study: treaty
    Dictatorship and democracy: Stalin and Lenin USSR
    Movements for reform: GAA mainly, with cultural revivals
    USA: foreign policy, with particular focus on Vietnam war

Does anyone think these have good chance coming up? I was hoping to learn a few essays for backup... Just wondering if anyone has essays on
    Characteristics of stalins rule
    How Lenin and Stalin brought about communism

Technology of warfare (would really appreciate this)

Any notes at all/ essays would be great! Didn't have a great teacher so don't really know how to go about it all

orangey24 wrote: »

Does anyone think these have good chance coming up? I was hoping to learn a few essays for backup... Just wondering if anyone has essays on

Any notes at all/ essays would be great! Didn't have a great teacher so don't really know how to go about it all

Stalin and Lenin's contribution to Communism is an extremely difficult essay.... I can see them coming up together though, Lenin hasn't been on the paper in years. I'd have a look at Eucharistic Congress just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hiddenrabbit

I'm doing Home Rule and The Lockout for Ireland
    Hitler Foreign Policy, Nazi propaganda, & Stalin
    Montgomery/Race Relations/MLK
    Oh and The Treaty

Will somebody please tell me this is enough to get me by, our teacher was very vague and evasive all year when asked what to study!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I'm doing Home Rule and The Lockout for Ireland
    Hitler Foreign Policy, Nazi propaganda, & Stalin
    Montgomery/Race Relations/MLK
    Oh and The Treaty

Will somebody please tell me this is enough to get me by, our teacher was very vague and evasive all year when asked what to study!

Your decision to just study troubled affluence for the American section is dodgy tbh. Go over Foreign Policy too.

• Advertisement

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Your decision to just study troubled affluence for the American section is dodgy tbh. Go over Foreign Policy too.

Going through the exam papers there's only one year it didn't come up so!

I would study something other than Russia, just in case. Technology of Warfare is a handy essay, PM me if you want some notes I have on it.

I'm doing

Unionism
    GAA
    Lockout(?)

Stalin with some Lenin
    Technology of warfare

Montgomery Bus Boycott/MLK
    Cuban Missile Crisis

Does anyone have any other back up suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I'm doing

Unionism
    GAA
    Lockout(?)

Stalin with some Lenin
    Technology of warfare

Montgomery Bus Boycott/MLK
    Cuban Missile Crisis

Does anyone have any other back up suggestions?

For America:
    Korea and Berlin along with Cuba. They usually ask them in the one question.
    A question of some of the presidents could come up too

Dictatorships and Democracy:
    Britain/Jarrow March
    France.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 JimLarkin101

This is what I have so far. Any suggestions appreciated!

-Stalin & Lenin
    -Hitler foreign policy & state
    Is there a large chance of Jews/Holocaust coming up? Anyone think Germany's Economy will make an appearance? Possibly with Britain?

-1885/6 elections
    -Parnell & Butt Home Rule

-Wilhelm's Naval Policy & Weltpolitik in general.
    -Bismarck
    -Imperialism

• Advertisement

LeeLee97 wrote: »
    Stalin and Lenin's contribution to Communism is an extremely difficult essay.... I can see them coming up together though, Lenin hasn't been on the paper in years. I'd have a look at Eucharistic Congress just incase.

Ok thanks ! Yea I don't have a clue how to go about that essay! If they were to come up together I'm hoping it would maybe how they contributed economically and socially ... But to be honest it would love a question purely just based on Stalin and the show trials

Ok thanks ! Yea I don't have a clue how to go about that essay! If they were to come up together I'm hoping it would maybe how they contributed economically and socially ... But to be honest it would love a question purely just based on Stalin and the show trials

It would be an incredibly enduring task to write about both of them in an essay. That would be the dream essay, as long as Russia comes up on its own I'll be somewhat happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Can someone give me a simple structure for a USA foreign policy essay please that i'll be able to manipulate on the day? I'm leaving it very late as it is but it's such a wide chapter, Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bourke97

Hey! For Movements and reform I'm only doing everything on home rule and land reform!

USA:
    -MLK in particular/bus boycott/civil rights struggle!
    -foreign policy- Cuba/Korea/Berlin! I'm leaving out Vietnam? Is that a wise thing to do because Cuba etc hasn't been asked since 2010-2012 so it's likely to come up?
    -policy of containment??
    Dictatorship and democracy:
    -Lenin and Stalin and everything on them!
    Hitler and everything on him!
    Is this enough??

For USA I'm doing:

-Economic boom
    -MLK, Civil rights movement, Montgomery Bus Boycott
    -Advances in military technology

Does that sound safe enough?

gracew wrote: »
    For USA I'm doing:

-Economic boom
    -MLK, Civil rights movement, Montgomery Bus Boycott
    -Advances in military technology

Does that sound safe enough?

That sounds safe enough! Two options there is likely to come up! If you were studying foreign policy, would you leave out the Vietnam war and learn only Berlin/Korea/Cuban missile crisis? Wanna narrow it down as much as possible? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Internetscour

Surely Ian Paisleys death last year makes him a front contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cab15

I'm doing:
    N.I
    -Welfare state
    -Coleraine
    -Sunning Dale
    -Appreciate boys

Dictatorship&Democracy
    -stalin/Lenin
    -Nuremburg rallies/propaganda

USA
    -Vietnam
    -Bus boycott

Random Q but our history teacher gave us the Lyndon Johnson quote "that bitch of a war" speaking about Vietnam, of course. Acceptable to use in an answer about "Johnson as President" and how the Vietnam War led to his downfall, or a bit risky?
    Surely Ian Paisleys death last year makes him a front contender?

Possibly - maybe thats what they want you to think so they won't put him up. It wouldn't be Paisley on his own though it might be the economic developments in NI

Bourke97 wrote: »
    That sounds safe enough! Two options there is likely to come up! If you were studying foreign policy, would you leave out the Vietnam war and learn only Berlin/Korea/Cuban missile crisis? Wanna narrow it down as much as possible? Thanks.

I think that would be fine because Vitneam war kind of came up last year with Johnson's strength and weaknesses and Berlin/ Korea / Cuban missile crisis haven't came up in a good few years and a general foreign policy essay is overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

I would really love if Johnson came up, but chances are probably slim. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Hey guys,
    Would anyone be able to tell me if im being too risky with these?? Thank you

Document
    -Treaty
    Eucharistic Congress

Govt Economy and society in ROI
    Jack Lynch and Sean Lemass
    The UN and Membership of EEC (Which affected Ireland more)
    Impact of TV and/or Vatican II in ROI

Dictatorship and Democracy
    All of Russia (Stalin and Lenins policies, show trials)
    All of Germany ( Propaganda, foreign policy, Weimar republic conditions leading to hitler)

USA Topic
    Race Relations, Anti War Movement,
    Montgomery Bus Boycott, Vietnam War

I think that would be fine because Vitneam war kind of came up last year with Johnson's strength and weaknesses and Berlin/ Korea / Cuban missile crisis haven't came up in a good few years and a general foreign policy essay is overdue

Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I think a general question on why The U.S. Became involved in the Vietnam war or something along those line if it did come up ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spottyapples

Reading through everyone's predictions and I'm just sitting here thinking I'm f***ed for history... Anyone with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

Hey guys,
    Would anyone be able to tell me if im being too risky with these?? Thank you

Document
    -Treaty
    Eucharistic Congress

Govt Economy and society in ROI
    Jack Lynch and Sean Lemass
    The UN and Membership of EEC (Which affected Ireland more)
    Impact of TV and/or Vatican II in ROI

Dictatorship and Democracy
    All of Russia (Stalin and Lenins policies, show trials)
    All of Germany ( Propaganda, foreign policy, Weimar republic conditions leading to hitler)

USA Topic
    Race Relations, Anti War Movement,
    Montgomery Bus Boycott, Vietnam War

Everything you've said is everything I'm covering too but one thing for gov Eco and society we have been warned to know is Charlie haughy quite well. If that's any help 😀

Reading through everyone's predictions and I'm just sitting here thinking I'm f***ed for history... Anyone with me?
    Spottyapples I feel you fam!

History is such a high risk subject like there is a possibility I will go in and literally be completely unable to answer any question. It'd have to be a very weird paper but it's still a possibility. You just cannot learn all of the course.

History is such a high risk subject like there is a possibility I will go in and literally be completely unable to answer any question. It'd have to be a very weird paper but it's still a possibility. You just cannot learn all of the course.

That happened to me in the mock paper nothing came up that I learned strangely enough, failed obviously
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I think a general question on why The U.S. Became involved in the Vietnam war or something along those line if it did come up ☺️

I have a feeling they're going to completely avoid Vitneam war this year and focus more on the social and economical side along with of course a foreign policy/ presidential essay

for my project i did the cuban missile crisis if it comes up can i answer it or is there some rule against it

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

for my project i did the cuban missile crisis if it comes up can i answer it or is there some rule against it

I thought there was a rule that your not allowed to do anything on the course at the moment for the history project? There was a few girls in my class that wanted to do Marilyn Monroe but she's a key personality so they weren't allowed to??

• Advertisement

That happened to me in the mock paper nothing came up that I learned strangely enough, failed obviously

I have a feeling they're going to completely avoid Vitneam war this year and focus more on the social and economical side along with of course a foreign policy/ presidential essay

Do you think they'll ask about the Berlin blockade, Korean War and Cuban missile crisis as the foreign policy question?? Because I've a feeling they'll ask that for us. If you look at the 2011 paper for both dictatorship and democracy and U.S., our paper may be similar to that, according to the pattern maybe?

I thought there was a rule that your not allowed to do anything on the course at the moment for the history project? There was a few girls in my class that wanted to do Marilyn Monroe but she's a key personality so they weren't allowed to??

thats what i said to my teacher but she said i was allowed as long as i mentioned it from the US and soviet perspective . but if it comes up in the exam and i answer it will i lose marks because i did it as a project ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

thats what i said to my teacher but she said i was allowed as long as i mentioned it from the US and soviet perspective . but if it comes up in the exam and i answer it will i lose marks because i did it as a project ?

It's a bit of grey area. But I personally would advise against doing an RSR on a key personality and then answering a question on them in the exam!

I marked one RSR last year on Russia during WWII or something like that and about a third of it was course material. I sent it to be checked by my superior and he said it was ok and marks weren't to be docked.

Anybody basing their study on what came up on the mock? Hitler Foreign Policy and Montgomery be lovely for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kevinfitz16

Hey! For Movements and reform I'm only doing everything on home rule and land reform!

USA:
    -MLK in particular/bus boycott/civil rights struggle!
    -foreign policy- Cuba/Korea/Berlin! I'm leaving out Vietnam? Is that a wise thing to do because Cuba etc hasn't been asked since 2010-2012 so it's likely to come up?
    -policy of containment??
    Dictatorship and democracy:
    -Lenin and Stalin and everything on them!
    Hitler and everything on him!
    Is this enough??
    For Movements and political social reform , make sure to cover the gap , gaelic league and Anglo irish literary also they are always very common!

If you cover at least two dictators i.e. Hitler and Stalin or Mussolini you should be covered

For US I also think foreign policy will come up ... But does anyone think the decline in Cold War certainties will instead ? Think it was only asked once... As well as the presidencys from Reagan...

• Advertisement

Do you think they'll ask about the Berlin blockade, Korean War and Cuban missile crisis as the foreign policy question?? Because I've a feeling they'll ask that for us. If you look at the 2011 paper for both dictatorship and democracy and U.S., our paper may be similar to that, according to the pattern maybe?

You'd include them in a foreign policy essay anyways just to be safe so if one on say Berlin blockade comes up you'll have something for it. What's the pattern, I've heard there's no pattern in history?

You'd include them in a foreign policy essay anyways just to be safe so if one on say Berlin blockade comes up you'll have something for it. What's the pattern, I've heard there's no pattern in history?

If you go through the past papers you'll see that there is a sort of pattern to when things come up! You'll know what I'm talking about if you look closely! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 17 podisyc

I know you should always choose a broad topic question, but if you were to do an answer on a case study for the essay, can you still do as well as doing a broader topic if you know the case study really well? Worried about that decision...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Elaine_S

Hi all,

So according to the HL predictions based off the mocks spoilers I've seen on here, there could be a question on:

During the period 1870 - 1886,what were the factors that contributed to the development of The Home Rule Movement?

I've found one essay on this so far on Mocks.ie. It got 85%.

I was wondering if anyone had an essay worth a higher grade on this, pretty please?

I'm the only one in my class doing HL and could do with some help!

podisyc wrote: »
    I know you should always choose a broad topic question, but if you were to do an answer on a case study for the essay, can you still do as well as doing a broader topic if you know the case study really well? Worried about that decision...

No you need to know the topic well to get a good grade! Referring to the case study just looks better and gives you extra marks as it shows you comprehend the question asked!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement