Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wedding Dress shops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Ashlynn

happybee wrote: »
    I ventured into the Oxfam Bridal Shop on Georges street,and I had a great time.I had a lovely woman called Susan look after me.I didnt once feel awkward or that i was taking up her time.She let me try on anything and everything that I wanted.She chatted away happily throughout the whole thing.
    I'm a size 16 and tall,so wedding dress shopping can be a pretty awful experience because they sneer at you for not being a size 12 (p*ss off!).
    But They were just fabulous.I am a wedding hair stylist and photographer myself,and before I knew it, i was happily volunteering my services if the store ever needed photos because they were that friendly and enthusiastic.

My wedding will be inexpensive.I dont want to be wandering around all night thinking of my dress being stood on or damaged.And I have found a dress.......for a mere €160!! yes you read that correctly. They have a fantastic range of dresses,and the money goes towards a great cause.And its a separate room upstairs,so its totally private.
    I honestly dont have any qualms about wearing a second hand dress at all, especially after such a nice experience.
    While a lot of the dresses are second hand, theres a huge amount of designer dresses too,which still have their labels on.
    They only take appointments so dont turn up expecting to be taken care of.
    I highly recommend a visit.Because at the very least you will feel like someone actually cares about you,and not about the zeros on the price-tag.
    :)
    Sounds great i will definetly try there for a dress, im trying to cut d cost anyway i can, i was also thinking of buying on line in house of brides they have a great selection of dresses & there about half d price to buying them ere at home for the exact same dress ! ! ! Anyone buy from them is it as good as it sounds ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 honeybee7828

did u try ebay?? beautiful dresses there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭JG1

Started the search for a dress last week. Tried Oxfam on George's Street and was disappointed but apparently they will get new stock in the middle of the month. Barnardos is also doing second hand dresses (as seen on Expose).

Went North to see if I could get value. Tried Bellfield Bridal, Banbridge. Beautiful location and the girl was very good. Tried on a beautiful Jenny Packham dress which would have been the one but couldn't justify the £2000 price tag! Interestingly they did have a sale rail and there was a JP dress going for a mere £99.

With a heavy heart, I continued my search in Lurgan - tried two shops - Chantilly Lace and Perfect Day. Ended up getting the dress in Perfect Day and v happy with it.

Also worth a look is the Bridal Outlet in Baldoyle. The dresses are very reasonable - tried on a few at €750. The service was haphazard so i would suggest going there off peak. Girl was helpful but then she disappeared halfway to help with debs dresses.

One tip - when you find the dress, phone around other stockists to see what they are charging for your dress. If there is a difference, go back to your original shop (if you liked the service and want to give them the business) and negotiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭bored and tired

im about a size 8 with no boobs and 5 foot nothing, the first and only shop i went into were horrible, She kept saying how they didnt stock anything in my size and the alterations were going to be so much that they couldnt guarantee what the dress would look like, She didnt pick out anything and say that looks lovely on a petit frame, or say that anything that i picked out would swamp me, and i could only try on one dress - over the clothes i was wearing, before being shooed to the side for debs alert. I honeslty got the impression that i was in her way and she should be doing something much more important like filing her nails as before she dissapeared she kept inspecting them, in between looking down her nose at me.

Sorry for rant, but i was thinking of making the treck up to dublin, to meet someone nice who will tell me what will wont suit, try on some dresses, and get an idea of what i want, but can anyone recommend someone in cork or waterford as if i do buy im going to have to be closer than dublin for alterations, (plus i hate driving).
    thanks and sorry about the rant, i suppose plenty more to come though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

ohno! wrote: »
    Hello first time using boards so hope it goes well, I am just about to start the search for a wedding dress, I have found a dress which I saw a celebrity wearing to the Oscars and think it is beautiful would love to have it as my wedding dress - so can anyone recommend a really really good dress maker there is lace involved so I would imagine difficult job preferably around tipp/waterford or kilkenny but I am willing to travel if the dress maker was worth it

Check out www.shopofbrides.com They make dresses to order, all cheap 'cause it's in China where material/labour is cheaper than here. I got my dress from here, cost me €200 and was a very efficient service. Was quoted €2,300 by a dressmaker here to make it, was charging €300 a yard for lace material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

livEwirE wrote: »
    I'd recommend 'Classy Lass' in Clane, Kildare, if thats not too far for you, great range and individual treatment, my finacee got her dress there and was very happy with the staff, very professional and courteous:D

She had been to a few bridal shops in Dublin and was treated like just another punter who would wear anything and don't get me started about that bridal shop in Liffey Valley, bunch of b*****s:mad:

oh my god.. i know they do two sizes 8 or 26.... totally unprofessional pure howyas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

So, I cannot compliment Wedding World in Galway (Briarhill) enough. My own dress didn't happen at the last minute so i called in there on Tuesday of last week, told her I needed a dress for August 11th and she had a dress for me by Friday (yup - 3 days to get a dress, ain't she a star?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 VinceTully

Hi Ladies,

I did a photo shoot with a "Dream Brides" in Ballinagh, Cavan last Sunday. I thought some of you ladies on the hunt for the perfect dress might be interested.

Here is the link:

http://www.tully.ie/photoshoots/2008/dreambrides

Best of luck on the hunt,

Vince Tully
    Vince Tully Photography
    www.tully.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Some nice images there Vince

Thanks mikeanywhere

I must admit, the models, Makeup artist and boutique owner are due alot of credit.

Vince

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

That must be the shop where I bought my dress. Great shop and the owner is absolutely lovely!

I did a Photoshoot with "Dream Brides" in Ballinagh, Cavan. which some of you might be interested in.

Goto www.tully.ie
    The click on "About us & Client Login" (at the top)
    Then click on "2008 Dream Brides" (at the bottom)

Bes of luck hunting for that perfect dress

Vince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cibro

HI
    tHIS IS MY FIRST POST SO HOPE I DONT DO IT WRONG
    I WENT TO THE STATES AND BOUGHT MY DRESS. WILL BRING IT TO BE ALTERED NEARER THE TIME. SAVED A FORTUNE AND THE SELECTION WAS BRILL. ALSO BOUGHT SHOES , BRIDESMAIDS DRESS , FLOWER GIRL DRESS, TAILORED SUIT FOR HIMSELF, RINGS INVITATIONS, GIFTS, FAVOUR BOXES .. SAVED ABOUT 4K I REKON IN ALL.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 13 westielove

hey www.thedressmarket.net has some lovely dresses
    !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 swimmingly

There's a huge range of dresses and what feels like a vast number of stores!

Over in Boston, where I'm from, twice a year Filene's basement does a "running of the brides". It's a real event where people line up from as early as the night before. At 8am the brides and their "teams" (brothers, sisters, bridesmaids, aunts, whoever) are let into a roomful of dresses.Teams grab as many dresses as they can and then swap with each other when they know a dress isn't "the one". The appeal is that you can get designer dresses, normally in the thousands, for as little as $200. The link to an article about it here http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2008/08/23/brides_to_be_vow_to_save/

Confetti.ie has a Find My Dress section where you can see different dresses and their style numbers (essential if you want to shop around for the lowest price), where to buy them and price range.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Aside from that event at Filenes basement, are there savings to be made getting the dresss in the states, specifically Boston? My fiancee tells me that she has selected a dress that is made in Canada. As her sister lives in Boston and goes over and back frequently, could the massive saving I made with getting the rings in Boston be repeated with dress? Is it worth it?
    I dont want her to be a recession bride but it seems crazy to not try and recoup a few hundred (thousand?) euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 swimmingly

Plenty o' savings to be had in Boston without being a recession bride. Why throw money away where you don't have to?

There's a chain called "David's Bridal" and it has loads of locations. www.davidsbridal.com The dresses are all affordable (can't imagine there being any more than $600). A chain that may be good to get shoes is "Payless Shoes" www.payless.com though I understand shoes are something a girl might want to try on before committing to!

Aerlingus now has airfares from like €360 inc. taxes round trip. Keeping in mind that with the dollar being so weak, any dress, barring a Vera Wang ($5K-10k) will save you some money, it could be worth shipping the bride-to-be over and letting her pick a dress herself.

Any other questions, I'm here to help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭heavymetalrock

hi
    i have a wedding dress and 3 bridemaids dresses, and i also have a debs dress, im looking for a shop that will buy them off me, any area will do
    please can anyone help me?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭earlyevening

The dress she wants is X euro here and X-100 dollars there (Boston), so guess what, will get her sister to pick up the dress and bring it over here. Yay. I love a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 graciekate

hi
    i have a wedding dress and 3 bridemaids dresses, and i also have a debs dress, im looking for a shop that will buy them off me, any area will do
    please can anyone help me?

thanks
    Hi There, This is my first time to use the site and you could have found somewhere by now for your dress but I was in Howth in Dublin today for a walk on the pier and I came across a new shop selling New and Secondhand designer clothes and wedding dresses. The clothes were fab and really cheap. They said that they get the wedding dresses in from the public but also they had sample new dresses at half the price of town. It might be worth checking them out. The shop was called The Secret Closet. Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

I am so completely clueless about weddings!

Can anyone tell me when you should start looking for a dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

They say around 6 to 9 months before. Some shops take longer to order them in.
    I'm just under 5 months away and I haven't started yet. Will be next week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 julesdub

Hi neverwhere, it's never too early to start looking or your wedding dress!!!! I would not leave it any later than 6-9 months before your wedding date as ecaf said, most shops order then in and it does take about 6 months or so. Any ideas on where you will start looking? I bought mine in Vera Wang in BT and to be honest I didn't have a great experience with them. Another friend of mine got her dress in there too and she had the same experience as me. The service wasn't great for the money I paid for the dress. My best friend is getting her dress in Cathy de Stafford as so far they have been very good. When I was looking around for my dress I also tried Berkertex and was totally ignored when I walked into the shop! Don't want to put you off, but just be warned!!! Good luck with the search!:D

thanks Jules, I really appreciate it! I'm not getting married till december 2010...but my fiance and I are both students, and what with this recession it's impossible to find work, so we're having to try and get a budget together and find out how much starving we're going to need to do over the next year or two!

We might be moving hte date forward, so I'm paranoid I'm not going to look for a dress in time.

I was thinking of looking BTs and a few of the wedding shops around the city. Most likely I'll be spending a lot of time in Oxfam Bridal with the budget I've got! I don't mind a second hand dress...I just want to find THE dress as everyone does. Even if it mens a year of searching!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 julesdub

Hi neverwhere, if you are looking for a dress on a budget you should try The Secret Closet in Howth as posted by Graciekate in her last post. They are only open about 6 weeks and they sell sample dresses and second hand dresses also (all designer). It is only a small shop but they are really helpful. They also sell clothes, shoes and handbags. I got a gorgeous Karen Millen handbag for 50eur!! I got talking to one of the girls and she was saying they are hoping to be on Xpose in the next couple of month's!!:D Might be worth a try.

wow, sounds perfect. I will definately have to check that one out too. Thanks a million :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gemsan

yes second that - just got sorted out in the the secret closet in howth - great spot !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sparkle 1

hi folks i've just got engaged and want to start looking at dresses now in Ireland as i am going to states in summer and want to purchase over there. this is all new to me but how do i go about finding out if shops here stock american brand dresses!!! also i'm looking to do my own invites and was wondering if anyone knows where i could purchase the materials required to make my own invites either here in Ireland or state side???:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Ashlynn

sparkle 1 wrote: »
    hi folks i've just got engaged and want to start looking at dresses now in Ireland as i am going to states in summer and want to purchase over there. this is all new to me but how do i go about finding out if shops here stock american brand dresses!!! also i'm looking to do my own invites and was wondering if anyone knows where i could purchase the materials required to make my own invites either here in Ireland or state side???:confused:

Hi Sparkle ref your dress if you look up "just pretty bridal" or "rk bridal" it will give you a good idea of what brand of dresses are sold over there & then it is just a matter of checking shops to see if they stock that brand most of there web sites will tell you what they stock, im going to order mine from just pretty bridal its the Alfred Angelo 1136 tried it on here & it costs 1400 Euro & from America the same dress is costing 450 Euro typical ripe off Ireland :mad:. As for your invites i bought mine in Rathdowney outlet centre in Laois worked out at 8 Euro for 2 packs of 50 cream invites there plain card shaped come in 4x6 or 5x7, i tried them on my printer at home & it prints on them perfectly, going to get my SIL who is very good at art to draw me a cool bride & groom & then ill scan & copy them onto the invites i hope this is of some help & most of congrats on your engagement :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 sparkle 1

hey ashlynn thanks a million for your help wil defo check out the info you have given me. But what happens if you buy in states and then you find its too small or too big when it arrives to you? do alterations cost much ere i wonder?

Advertisement