Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media subscriber numbers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Seems they've a new version of Horizon out now. It's launched in Poland with a new box and its cloud based.

That's the Pace built box they seem to be using :

http://www.upc.cz/televize/prijimaci-zarizeni-digitalni-televize/hd_dvr_mediabox/

I'm not sure about Poland, but this seems to be the cloud based Horizon service:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sO3MvhsC9Y

It doesn't involve any set top box, can work straight with smart TV's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The whole concept is built around RDK which is a major new platform being developed by the various major cable TV providers and equipment makers. It's a bit like the way DOCSIS was developed for data.

http://rdkcentral.com

Horizon is currently a fork / derivative of XBMC

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

I'm not sure that that Ziggo product is the same thing. They'll still want a media gateway / box to provide DVR functions. Not many Smart TVs have 6 cable tuners on board. Although it may become irrelevant if you can fully cloud base everything and move away from linear TV entirely.

I can see rights issues cropping up with Sky etc in this market if it comes to steaming all channels on demand and moving away from linear cable channels while Sky don't have the technology platform and network to do that yet...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure that that Ziggo product is the same thing. They'll still want a media gateway / box to provide DVR functions. Not many Smart TVs have 6 cable tuners on board. Although it may become irrelevant if you can fully cloud base everything and move away from linear TV entirely.

I can see rights issues cropping up with Sky etc in this market if it comes to steaming all channels on demand and moving away from linear cable channels while Sky don't have the technology platform and network to do that yet...

For the moment they seem to be only releasing this in the more cost conscious Eastern European markets.

I really don't think you need a large, expensive DVR, if everything is in the cloud. If you have 7 day catchup of all channels, on demand and the option to record and save in the cloud, then you really don't need anything complicated on the client side.

Who needs six tuners, when you can basically have unlimited tuners to record unlimited numbers of shows in the cloud. To be honest, the whole concept of "recording" goes away with catchup services and on demand services.

This service still supports linear TV, it just moves all the hardware, hard drives, tuners, recorders to the data center. To be honest the whole concept of having a big, expensive DVR, with a powerful CPU, lots of HDD space and 6 tuners sitting there most of the day, largely unused, is incredibly inefficient.

Consolidated into a server farm, with de-duplication of recordings, etc. you would need far less resources to deliver the same level of service.

It makes a lot of sense for them to use this approach in the low revenue, cost concious Eastern European markets.

And to be honest, I think in the long term it would make a lot of sense for Ireland too and I'd love to have it myself.

Imagine if the only hardware you got from UPC was a little stick that plugged into your HDMI port like an Amazon Fire TV. Now imagine if you launched the UPC app on your iPad and the exact same interface, with all your content, favourites, upcoming shows, recordings appeared there too, nice :D

The only downside would possibly be channel changing speed * and of course you have no TV if the broadband service goes down.

* This can be mitigated with clever programming and enough bandwidth. For instance you could also stream the channel before and after the current watched channel, perhaps at a lower bitrate, so that they appear quickly when you flick between channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

• Advertisement

Could just be a Pace version.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

UPC: Brian wrote: »
    Our MMDS service is based on retaining the license for this however, this is coming to an end next year and we're in the process of ending our MMDS service.
    We'll be direct contacting any customers at the appropriate time but this would stop any offers from being applied to MMDS serviced accounts.

Looks like they've started informing MMDS subscribers that they're discontinuing the service and in the case of this subscriber who posted in the Tipperary forum it's being switched off at the end of Sept.
    bogs wrote: »
    Hi,could anyone advise me as to a tv dealer/installer in South Tipperary.UPC are discontinuing the service from 28/9/15 so it leaves us high and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Could just be a Pace version.

I never heard of a pace version of the horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

bk wrote: »
    From reviews I've read from the UK, not only is it vastly superior, but most people seem to think it is also much better then Sky HD!

How so? From the ads it seems you can only record two channels??

7upfree wrote: »
    How so? From the ads it seems you can only record two channels??

Very easy to use user interface that is fast and responsive.

It learns from what you watch and record and based on that it gives very good recommendations for other shows you might like on the home page.

BTW it actually has 3 tuners, so you can record two other channels while watching another one. Sky HD box only has 2 tuners and the Horizon box 4.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/52517/virgin-media-tivo-1tb-review

BTW 15 years ago, I used a second hand TiVo imported from the US and hacked to make it work with UPC analogue service. Obviously it didn't support HD, etc. but even back then the interface was nicer and faster then Sky HD is today! So I can well believe that new models are a big improvement.

• Advertisement

The horizon box has 6 tuners. 4 exclusively for recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are Virgin media Ireland / UPC still part of the UPC/ Liberty global group?

They are still meant to launch a multi room client box.

Will they drop horizon and do with the same hardware as the UK?

ted1 wrote: »
    Are Virgin media Ireland / UPC still part of the UPC/ Liberty global group?

Will they drop horizon and do with the same hardware as the UK?

UPC Ireland was moved from UPC to Virgin Media last Feb, both companies remain part of the Liberty Global group.

No information regarding the change of STBs.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are still part of Liberty but no longer part of UPC Broadband.

The horizon box has 6 tuners. 4 exclusively for recording.

To be honest, the whole idea of so many tuners is becoming largely irrelevant in our modern world of online services, catch-up TV, on demand TV and cloud DVR's

IMO a fast, easy to use interface that makes finding content easy and does a good job of recommending content is far more important then lots of tuners.

Just look at how Sky boxes only have 2 tuners, yet most people find it superior to the 6 tuner Horizon box!

Interestingly even Liberty Global is seeing this shift in the market and is moving to a purely cloud interface and DVR in it's Eastern European markets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No tuner is perfect. But recording on the horizon box is more buggy than you'd expect. Even on one tuner. I find the box very slow when using 3 or 4 tuners recording at the same time.

When it works its great. But fixes have taken ages and been of low quality.

bk wrote: »
    Very easy to use user interface that is fast and responsive.

It learns from what you watch and record and based on that it gives very good recommendations for other shows you might like on the home page.

BTW it actually has 3 tuners, so you can record two other channels while watching another one. Sky HD box only has 2 tuners and the Horizon box 4.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/pvrs/52517/virgin-media-tivo-1tb-review

BTW 15 years ago, I used a second hand TiVo imported from the US and hacked to make it work with UPC analogue service. Obviously it didn't support HD, etc. but even back then the interface was nicer and faster then Sky HD is today! So I can well believe that new models are a big improvement.

Thanks.

Is it not the case that you can record three, but must then only watch a recording? Or am I wrong?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627745

Doesn't Horizon have five??:confused:

http://www.upc.ie/television/horizon-tv/

Is it not the case that you can record three, but must then only watch a recording? Or am I wrong?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1627745

Yes, that is correct.

If you have your TV turned off, you can actually record 3 channels simultaneously.

If you are watching something, then you can record that channel, plus two others.
    Doesn't Horizon have five??:confused:

http://www.upc.ie/television/horizon-tv/

I was wrong earlier, it has 6 tuners:

- 4 to record other channels
    - 1 to watch the current channel
    - 1 to preload the next channel in the EPG (for quick channel change).

Liberty Global (Virgin Media) Q3 2015 numbers published today (in brackets, quarter on quarter +/-)
    http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/press-release/LG-Earnings-Release-Q3-15-FINAL.pdf

Video Subscribers - 375,600 (-3,700)
    --- Analogue Cable - 33,300 (-1,500)
    --- Digital Cable - 318,400 (-500)
    --- MMDS - 23,900 (-1,700)
    Internet - 371,300 (+4,000)
    Telephone - 357,900 (+5,500)

Total Subscribers - 1,104,800 (+5,800)

Premises - 503,600 (-1,600)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

YoY movements really show where the business is going:
    Analogue cable TV down 21%.
    Digital cable TV down 5%.
    MMDS down 25%.
    Broadband up 4%.
    Landlines up 6%.

MMDS are on a rapid decent before next years switch off.
    Analogue cable down significantly.
    Digital cable numbers getting effected by early signs of cord cutting.
    Broadband up but not significantly.
    Generally unwanted landlines only up thanks to being included in forced bundles.

The Liberty results say that Irish "homes passed" includes 100k homes that cannot get two-way communications. Is this MMDS capture area or is it homes in areas with very old coper wires?

• Advertisement

JTMan wrote: »
    The Liberty results say that Irish "homes passed" includes 100k homes that cannot get two-way communications. Is this MMDS capture area or is it homes in areas with very old coper wires?

Both I'd say and not exclusively MMDS fed systems. I've seen posts here previously that said they had UPC internet but TV was MMDS fed at the head end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Nothing new here really. Legacy systems being run down. People don't use the phone, but it gets bundled anyway, so its a meaningless statistic. There probably a few things happening. End of half price offers, cheaper offers from sky, more options for free to air. I think it suggests some strong competition, could make headway. Most seem to be content with keeping the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

The most important statistic has to be the number of customers. Virigin Media in Ireland have lost 18,500 customers over the last year while their UK wing grows.

Sky, free-to-air, Eircom's TV offering, Vodafone's competitive broadband only package, legacy VM systems and soon Vodafone's pending TV offering are all taking their tole on VM Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The mobile vm are offering reminds me of the Cork Multi Channel days . The service is beyond shocking , and it will do them harm .

rebeve wrote: »
    The mobile vm are offering reminds me of the Cork Multi Channel days . The service is beyond shocking , and it will do them harm .

Is it that bad? Seems like great value!

post makes NO sense whatsoever. Its an MVNO on the three network, same as a number of other carriers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's just how brutal Three is.

L1011 wrote: »
    That's just how brutal Three is.

I've been with Three for years. The actual service is excellent. However, if you have to contact them.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I've been with Three for years. The actual service is excellent. However, if you have to contact them.................................

Threes customer service has now fully transferred to the old o2 customer care offices here in Limerick which to be fair was always excellent in the past....so time will tell if that improves threes customer service

• Advertisement

Interesting, if this trend continues, it looks like by next quarter Virgin/UPC will have more internet customers then TV customers.

Advertisement