Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircode - its implemetation (merged)

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How many of those "what's an eircode" would have answered correctly if you had asked for the postcode?

I don't know. We'll be following up with them to explain what we're looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭GJG

The first step is quite obviously to appoint an 'Address Regulator' which should be the local planning office, or alternatively, the Revenue Commissioners as they collect property tax.

The next step is to define what an 'official' address is. Historically, it is, for rural addresses, House name (if it has one), Townland, Barony, County. This could of course be modernised, but a road name and house number would be relatively easy to add. Addressee offers a suggestion (in conjunction with others on the same road) and 'Address Regulator' agrees or suggests an alternative - for example should it be a duplicate.

To do this a start has to be made, and for a start to be made there has to be political will and that is sadly lacking.

Two observations:

Perhaps you aren't aware, but there are intense disputes about such naming both in rural and urban Ireland. One salesperson I knew said he felt his safety was at real risk when (because of the nature of his product) he used the real address on customer forms, rather than a more desirable one - he mentioned the border between Foxrock and Tallaght as being particularly problematic. In rural areas, issues such as what GAA club you play for generate a particular amount of heat. For example, county boundaries were revised in the 1890s, in particular to eliminate islands and exclaves, and there still areas where the right of some townlands in one county to play for the neighbouring county are both defended and attacked with ferocious passion. I mention these just to illustrate that such an authority that you mention would likely be paralysed by deeply-seated resistance.

Secondly, what you suggest seems excessively bureaucratic and expensive, and it's not clear that the return on investment would make it worthwhile, although to be fair to you I haven't examined the issue much.

But my main question is what relevance is this to Eircode? The existence of Eircode doesn't in any way inhibit the project you suggest. I suppose if your project was completed beforehand, it would have made Eircode easier, but it is a massively more difficult and complex project than Eircode, and has no certainty of being completed ever, let alone in a reasonable time, so the idea that Eircode should be postponed until it is completed is, to me, not viable.

I have to say that, in my opinion, the people who were demanding that postcodes be deferred until the completion of long and uncertain projects were doing so for no reason other than to derail the project entirely for private commercial reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We got another reply today, containing an Eircode but also the message: "Please don't use Eircode. Nobody else is. There are much better systems."

Are there? In the sense of technically more useful for various reasons, it could be argued that there are. But "better" for me ultimately boils down to "more useful".

The level of response from our customer base to the question "what's your Eircode?" has been, on balance, pretty impressive. If the question had been "what's your Loc8 code?" or "what's your GoCode?", or even "what's your what3words code?" - would we have received such a response?

We're up to four "what's an Eircode?" responses. You think we'd only have received four "what's a Loc8 code?" replies? For better or worse, people have been informed of their Eircode.

What's the best system? The one that gives me the information I need.

I understand the main point you're making, but you're not making it with a valid data set.

If you were to send a letter to each premises in the country with a Loc8 code, and follow it up with national radio and TV ad campaigns, you may end up with a similar response. You're saying that awareness exists for Eircode, and I don't think that's an invalid argument at all.

But don't confuse that with acceptance of Eircode, for which we don't have as solid a metric.

I don't mean to criticise, as I know it's just one simple indicator, but I'm saying I wouldn't be reading into it a whole pile either.

I understand the main point you're making, but you're not making it with a valid data set.

If you were to send a letter to each premises in the country with a Loc8 code, and follow it up with national radio and TV ad campaigns, you may end up with a similar response. You're saying that awareness exists for Eircode, and I don't think that's an invalid argument at all.

But don't confuse that with acceptance of Eircode, for which we don't have as solid a metric.

I don't mean to criticise, as I know it's just one simple indicator, but I'm saying I wouldn't be reading into it a whole pile either.

I understand your point in turn, but let's look at two specific quotes I'm arguing against.

The first is from this very forum: "Eircode is dead. End of." The other you quoted: "Please don't use Eircode. Nobody else is. There are much better systems."

My counter-arguments are that Eircode is far from dead, that lots of people appear to be using Eircode, and that the allegedly "much better systems" that very few people are even aware of are not better in any meaningful way.

I asked people for their Eircodes, and got nearly five hundred responses so far. If I had asked people for their Loc8 code, I honestly expect that that number would have been a couple of orders of magnitude lower.

So far, I've received three responses expressing hostility toward Eircode, and about five expressing ignorance. Compared to five hundred useful replies (and, let's not forget, two of the hostile responses contained Eircodes also), I don't think it's unfair to infer a degree of acceptance.

Yep I definitely don't think "Eircode is dead" is a valid comment. As I said, I don't mean to criticize, just pointing out that your informal test is a great indicator of awareness, but "acceptance" kind of falls between "awareness" and "usage". Acceptance is a very fuzzy metric, we could have high acceptance and low usage , or high awareness and low acceptance (like Irish water).

Hopefully we'll get another solid metric like usage stats from An Post, DHL, etc, it'd help paint a fuller picture.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Hopefully we'll get another solid metric like usage stats from An Post, DHL, etc, it'd help paint a fuller picture.

DHL has said (in common with many other major courier firms) that it will not be using Eircode.

Why We Won’t Use Eircode:

To implement Eircode in its current format, the DHL Express IT infrastructure will require bespoke software development on many internal and external (customer-facing) systems. Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes, Eircode doesn’t fit into our global IT platform.

In particular, the granularity of the routing key is inefficient due to its large geographic coverage based on the national postal sort centres and in turn becomes redundant. Also the non-sequential unique identifier creates significant logistics and IT challenges. To put this into context, DHL currently has 3.4m postcode-ranges in its databases for all countries in the world that operate a postcode. With Eircode we would need to add a minimum of 2.2m entries just for Ireland which adds its implementation costs as well as risk.

Furthermore, with Eircode’s current format it is not possible to identify an address from just ‘reading’ the postcode. On that basis it will be easier to use the address lines we currently use to-day.

http://www.ftai.ie/export/sites/ireland/.content/downloads/FTAI_Presentation_to_Joint_Oireachtas_Committee_on_Transport_and_Communications.pdf

With such criticism of the Eircode system from the very organisations you'd expect to enthusiastically adopt it, and An Post essentially saying it makes no difference to them whether people include Eircodes in addresses or not, it's very hard to see what the point of it is at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

gizmo555 wrote: »

To implement Eircode in its current format, the DHL Express IT infrastructure will require bespoke software development on many internal and external (customer-facing) systems. Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes, Eircode doesn’t fit into our global IT platform.

That's just embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

DHL has said (in common with all the other major courier firms) that it will not be using Eircode.

That report is from Nov 2014, way before Eircode was in official use. Now that it is here, perhaps they (and others) may change their stance on it.

They also contradict themselves (from saying they won't use it) in the paragraph afterwards saying that maybe they will use it...
    "As things stand given the very strong likelihood that we will not use Eircode, at least in the medium term, no benefits will accrue to our business"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

MBSnr wrote: »
    That report is from Nov 2014, way before Eircode was in official use. Now that it is here, perhaps they (and others) may change their stance on it.

They also contradict themselves (from saying they won't use it) in the paragraph afterwards saying that maybe they will use it...

It's not much of a contradiction. They are very clear that from their point of view Eircode is highly unsatisfactory, that they have no current intention to use it and that it's very unlikely they will in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

DHL has said (in common with many other major courier firms) that it will not be using Eircode.

Furthermore, with Eircode’s current format it is not possible to identify an address from just ‘reading’ the postcode. On that basis it will be easier to use the address lines we currently use to-day.

Isn't that true of ALL national postcodes?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »

They possibly mean that Eircode seemingly never created a public-facing grid showing the public all the routing keys at once.

I believe in a lot of other countries, the road signs have the basic routing on them. So when you're in London SW1, SW1 is on the street signs, that kind of thing.

It'd be a no-brainer IMO for Eircode to have had a little image on the letter they sent out, showing all the major routing keys on it. I'd possibly remember that limerick is 061, or whatever it is in Eircode terms.
    It'd be simple to do it now on their website.

But that's not the way they've approached it, and I presume they've a good reason for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They possibly mean that Eircode seemingly never created a public-facing grid showing the public all the routing keys at once.

I believe in a lot of other countries, the road signs have the basic routing on them. So when you're in London SW1, SW1 is on the street signs, that kind of thing.

It'd be a no-brainer IMO for Eircode to have had a little image on the letter they sent out, showing all the major routing keys on it. I'd possibly remember that limerick is 061, or whatever it is in Eircode terms.
    It'd be simple to do it now on their website.

But that's not the way they've approached it, and I presume they've a good reason for that.

Maybe, but there are plenty of countries that don't publish a map, and that's a very specific thing to be referring to, why didn't they just say that if it's the case? I'd be surprised if that's what they were talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Unofficially my postman uses Eircode, talking him today about it. He has a few of the same surnames living at different locations with the same address so now that some people have started using Eircode he looks them up on his own mobile phone.

Maybe, but there are plenty of countries that don't publish a map, and that's a very specific thing to be referring to, why didn't they just say that if it's the case? I'd be surprised if that's what they were talking about.

Yeah, I'm putting words in their mouths, that's just how I read the statement.

I'd know where D6, D4, etc are, because I've seen them on a map. Same as I know where Manchester is because I've seen it on a map.

my3cents wrote: »
    Unofficially my postman uses Eircode, talking him today about it. He has a few of the same surnames living at different locations with the same address so now that some people have started using Eircode he looks them up on his own mobile phone.
    Well just goes to show that it does have a use, despite the wishes of some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx

An Post website address checker updated to use eircode.

Can we change the thread title now....

That's just embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is DHL are still using a technology designed for use with the 1960's UK postcode and that they refuse to modernise their technology. That statement from them is pure arrogance.

ANY postcode that isn't the UK one would require new software. They need to suck it up and invest in Ireland.

I thought we were getting a thread for this when the National Postcodes thread was closed, but apparently not. So I've started one.

Where have you seen eircode being used?

Today I noticed the An Post address checker has been updated to include eircode

I asked Electric Ireland today when I was talking to them and they said it will be on the bills "shortly"

DCENR asking for it if you want to check the national broadband rollout:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/National-Broadband-Plan-Map-.aspx

Anyone have other examples of its use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

I think what they mean is that they can sort their deliveries just by looking at the postcode in other countries, but not here without licensing the ECAD and writing special software to map the random codes into usable areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

ukoda wrote: »

An Post website address checker updated to use eircode.

Can we change the thread title now....

Finally! It only took them 5 months - still better late than never. I see DCENR have utilised it to allow people to see if they're in an area targeted by the National Broadband Plan (although that's no guarantee either ;) )

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/National-Broadband-Plan-Map-.aspx#

• Advertisement

What's embarrassing is DHL are still using a technology designed for use with the 1960's UK postcode and that they refuse to modernise their technology. That statement from them is pure arrogance.

ANY postcode that isn't the UK one would require new software. They need to suck it up and invest in Ireland.

Wtf? Did you read the same thing I did? "Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes" means "unlike the UK postcode" now? :confused:

Wtf? Did you read the same thing I did? "Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes" means "unlike the UK postcode" now? :confused:

Yes. It would be easier for them to be lazy if it copied the UK model. What do the rest of the worlds postcodes look like?

I'll give you a clue. They are all different.

Yes. It would be easier for them to be lazy if it copied the UK model. What do the rest of the worlds postcodes look like?

I know they're all different. I've lived in a bunch of different countries, all of which had their own postcodes (Ireland excepted, when I lived there).

DHL are saying that their system works with all other postcodes, UK or not, except the Irish one. I honestly can't see how you're interpreting "Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes" to mean "Unlike the UK postcode".

I know they're all different. I've lived in a bunch of different countries, all of which had their own postcodes (Ireland excepted, when I lived there).

DHL are saying that their system works with all other postcodes, UK or not, except the Irish one. I honestly can't see how you're interpreting "Unlike the rest of the world’s postcodes" to mean "Unlike the UK postcode".

So what you're saying is that they can cope with every other postcode in the world, all variations, all different set ups, all lengths, all the ones with granular locality and all the ones with none, but when it comes to eircode they are somehow stumped?

Like I said, if it was the same as the UK one, they'd have to do nothing. And it really boils down to them not wanting to spend anything. Their infrastructure is decades old, they are reluctant to upgrade it to add anything new. Bearing in mind all other postcodes are well established for decades meaning they work with their outdated tech. Do you get it now? Don't believe their nonsense.

They are using the anti eircode bandwagon to keep the status quo and as an excuse to do nothing and spend nothing.

Have they turned around to any other country and told them their postcode isn't workable? No they have not.

So what you're saying is that they can cope with every other postcode in the world, all variations, all different set ups, all lengths, all the ones with granular locality and all the ones with none, but when it comes to eircode they are somehow stumped?

Like I said, if it was the same as the UK one, they'd have to do nothing. And it really boils down to them not wanting to spend anything. Their infrastructure is decades old, they are reluctant to upgrade it to add anything new. Bearing in mind all other postcodes are well established for decades meaning they work with their outdated tech. Do you get it now? Don't believe their nonsense.

They are using the anti eircode bandwagon to keep the status quo and as an excuse to do nothing and spend nothing.

Have they turned around to any other country and told them their postcode isn't workable? No they have not.

Any chance they're referring to the fact that postcode lookups in Ireland cost money? Genuine question.

etc etc

*sigh*

Call them liars if you want. Not my problem. I can see how they could cope with other postcodes and not Eircode but if you can't and don't want to believe it, that's your issue. At least I know my reading comprehension is still fine. I was worried there for a sec!

Any chance they're referring to the fact that postcode lookups in Ireland cost money? Genuine question.

Maybe, but large scale look ups in the UK incure a cost too, in fact it's the same model as eircode.

*sigh*

Call them liars if you want. Not my problem. I can see how they can cope with other postcodes and not Eircode but if you can't and don't want to believe it, that's your issue. At least I know my reading comprehension is still fine. I was worried there for a sec!

Tell me this so, how can Nightline integrate eircode into their systems and processes and DHL can't?

Doesn't something seem a bit off to you when one courier company can use eircode and publicly say they fully support it and that it will help their business, but another one (DHL) say it's not workable?

What's the difference between the 2?

http://www.nightline.ie/news/item/nightline-group-welcomes-the-introduction-of-eircodes/

Read that

Tell me this so, how can Nightline integrate eircode into their systems and processes and DHL can't?

Doesn't something seem a bit off to you when one courier company can use eircode and publicly say they fully support it and that it will help their business, but another one (DHL) say it's not workable?

What's the difference between the 2?

They didn't say it's not workable. They simply stated they're not willing to make it work at this moment because they don't want to change their current system (meaning, they don't feel like spending money on it). If you have a problem with that, fine. I simply don't care.

I was only worried that I was misreading a very simple sentence, since the meaning I took from it was completely different to the (weirdly UK-centric) meaning you took from it. That's all.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to actually reply to your question. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I'm aware Nightline only operates in Ireland. It'd be a lot easier for them to implement new things as their IT systems are bound to be less complex than those used by internationally-operating companies. Making Eircode optional, rather than a compulsory part of the address could sway international businesses to not bother with the costs of accommodating it. Sure, why would they if they don't really have to use it anyway? Unless there's a profit advantage or they're obliged to make changes, not many businesses want to change.

• Advertisement

Of course they are different, but what do they have in common that Eircode doesn't have? They are hierarchical down to relatively small areas, and each code refers to an area rather than an individual property.
    In particular, the granularity of the routing key is inefficient due to its large geographic coverage based on the national postal sort centres and in turn becomes redundant. Also the non-sequential unique identifier creates significant logistics and IT challenges. To put this into context, DHL currently has 3.4m postcode-ranges in its databases for all countries in the world that operate a postcode. With Eircode we would need to add a minimum of 2.2m entries just for Ireland which adds its implementation costs as well as risk.
    That's a big difference. You can't claim on one hand that Eircode is unique and the first of a kind etc, and then when people point out the problems with that, then say all postcodes are unique :)

plodder wrote: »
    Of course they are different, but what do they have in common that Eircode doesn't have? They are hierarchical down to relatively small areas, and each code refers to an area rather than an individual property.

To be fair. Most postcodes just represent a large area, similar to eircode routing keys and don't go down to a small area

To be fair. Most postcodes just represent a large area, similar to eircode routing keys and don't go down to a small area
    It varies based on the size of the country. At a guess, I would say that most countries postcodes have at least three levels of hierarchy, two more than Eircode.

Each level of hierarchy allows possibility for sorting etc without having to pay anyone for database lookups.

Why are we so hung up on the idea that postcodes should allow private companies to gain commercial advantage at no cost to them but instead at the taxpayers' expense?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why are we so hung up on the idea that postcodes should allow private companies to gain commercial advantage at no cost to them but instead at the taxpayers' expense?

Is that not the same as upgrading the national road to motorway to allow freight to be delivered cheaper and quicker at no extra cost (except for the dozen or so tolls)?

Those upgrades benefit the haulage companies at the states expense. Haulage companies have benefited from the huge reduction in road tax in the last budget.

Haulage companies are private companies, aren't they?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I was going to start a new thread but thought the 'An Post not using Eircode' was doing the job.

Thanks for saving me the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

plodder wrote: »
    Each level of hierarchy allows possibility for sorting etc without having to pay anyone for database lookups.

What did database lookups mean in the 1950s when other countries introduced their systems? Computers, ATMs, rockets, mobile phones, satellites - how many systems designed in the 1950s are ignoring all of these advances in technology and persisting in using human labour instead.

Is that not the same as upgrading the national road to motorway to allow freight to be delivered cheaper and quicker at no extra cost (except for the dozen or so tolls)?

Yes. If you ignore tolls, it's the same thing. But if you don't ignore tolls...?

Yes. If you ignore tolls, it's the same thing. But if you don't ignore tolls...?

There are only a dozen tolls - many more motorways, and lorries routinely avoid the tolls, but benefit from the rest of the motorway system, not to mention the other upgraded roads.

The post code is a piece of infrastructure that should be free to use just like the phone book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The post code is a piece of infrastructure that should be free to use just like the phone book.
    You have 49 searches left today.

You get 50 free lookups a day, what more do you want ?

Business ? get off the training wheels and act like one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

New passport forms ask for it, but it wasn't printed on the envelope sent out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I thought we were getting a thread for this when the National Postcodes thread was closed, but apparently not. So I've started one.

Where have you seen eircode being used?

Today I noticed the An Post address checker has been updated to include eircode

If you type in T12 A into the 'Enter Eircode' box and hit return, you will get a list of all the addresses that contain the characters T12 A***, a total of 49 separate addresses.

Combined with the 50 per day searches that you can do on the eircode finder website (a limit which can be over-ridden by a free Chrome extension - search the National Postcodes To Be Introduced thread or Google 'free chrome extension eircode finder'), it might be handy for people who want to build address/eircode databases on the cheap.

If you get 735 results (15 x 49) from the An Post website per day, plus 50 from the Eircode Finder website, you'd have 7,850 correct postal addresses, complete with Eircodes, after 10 days.

Not bad for a small local business that might want to confine direct mail marketing to (part of) one Eircode routing code area.

Over a year you could build up, for free, an accurate database of An Post preferred format postal addresses, complete with Eircodes, and end up with 286,525 entries, or many more if you used the free Chrome extension referred to above.

gctest50 wrote: »
    You get 50 free lookups a day, what more do you want ?

Business ? get off the training wheels and act like one

Royal Mail permits 50 free searches of its address/postcode database per day. I'm not sure why Eircode should be more generous.

If you go to the An Post website, you get 15 free searches per day, but if you type in T12 A into the 'Enter Eircode' box and hit return, you will get a list ofaddresses that contain the characters T12 A***, a total of 49 separate addresses is displayed.

Do that for different Eircodes (e.g. type in T12 F and you'll get 49 x T12 F*** results) and you'll get many more than 15 results per day.

So you can get 50 results per day from the Eircode Finder website, and a multiple of 15 results (up to 735) per day from the An Post website for free.

And if you know about the free Chrome extension for the Eircode Finder website, you can over-ride the 50 searches per day limit and get unlimited free searches on that website.

Simply type the words 'free chrome extension eircode finder' into Google and you're sorted! :D

Edit:

I've now tried the partial Eircode method with three different partial Eircodes (T12 A, T12 F and D03 N) on the An Post website.

In each case I've got 49 separate address (i.e. 49 x T12 A***, 49 x T12 F*** and 49 x D03 N***) results.

I'm not sure if this means there are only 49 addresses with those characters, or if An Post restricts the total number of addresses you can view each time by using this method to 49 addresses per search.

If the latter, then you can get a maximum of 735 results per day from the An Post website, combined with 50 per day from the Eircode Finder website.

That's a maximum total of 785 free results per day, or 286,525 free results per year without using the Chrome extension.

Would most SMEs in Ireland need more than 286,525 free results per year?

Interesting.

I've now tried that method with three different partial Eircodes (T12 A, T12 F and D03 N).

In each case I've got 49 separate address (i.e. 49 x T12 A***, 49 x T12 F*** and 49 x D03 N***) results.

I'm not sure if this means there are only 49 addresses with those characters, or if An Post restricts the total number of addresses you can view each time by using this method to 49 addresses per search.

If the latter, then you can get a maximum of 735 results per day from the An Post website (http://correctaddress.anpost.ie/pages/Search.aspx), combined with 50 per day from the Eircode Finder website.

That's a maximum total of 785 free results per day, or 286,525 free results per year without using the Chrome extension.

Would most SMEs in Ireland need more than 286,525 free results per year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you try clearing your cache and or rebooting the router?

I'm having a problem with deliveries since the Eircodes were introduced.

I added the Eircode to my address instead of "Dublin 7" since the code starts "D07" and I've been waited nearly 4 weeks for something that should've been here in 4 days!

The order was in 4 identical boxes with the same exact address on each in the same position on each box.

Box #1 arrived in 4 days; box #2 arrived the following day but box #3 took THREE WEEKS to arrive and when it did, it had
    "IMPORTANT : Delay caused by incorrect postal address" labels all over it -- one would've sufficed.

The final box has still not arrived.

I contacted An Post via their website on Wednesday last but I have not yet received a response.

My address is in the format :

XXX Road Name
    Dublin
    D07 XXXX

--- Previously it would've been always :

XXX Road Name
    Dublin 7

The correct address you should be using as per An Post is:

XXX Road Name
    Dublin 7
    D07 XXXX

Your post-town is not Dublin, it's Dublin 7. Keep using the 7 after Dublin, and then add the Eircode underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

One-off donation form on http://www.msf.ie/donate may have an optional field that asks for an eircode...but to find out for sure: you know what you have to do :)

...Merry xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I got a couple of deliveries yesterday via Parcel Motel that have the eircode of the "motel" on the address label.

Alun wrote: »
    I got a couple of deliveries yesterday via Parcel Motel that have the eircode of the "motel" on the address label.

Yes I see that, they have put them on all the motel locations

http://www.parcelmotel.com/locations/

my3cents wrote: »
    Did you try clearing your cache and or rebooting the router?

No need. Use Chrome, add the free extension (available by googling free chrome extension eircode finder) and you can get unlimited daily searches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

What is Eircode? Seems like another waste of money quango.

• Advertisement
Advertisement