Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I never heard of that before, now I have fireplace envy. I went for marble in the end but would have actually preferred one like yours. Too late now, I've only one fireplace in this house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lottie2016

We need to make a decision fairly lively on a double-sided insert stove without boiler. We'd need output of 14kw. Looking at stovax duplex studio 2 , kratki zzuzia and the boru900i and wonder what's your opinion of them.
    Also in the Limerick area could you recommend someone who does fireplaces please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Forge83

Lottie2016 wrote: »
    We need to make a decision fairly lively on a double-sided insert stove without boiler. We'd need output of 14kw. Looking at stovax duplex studio 2 , kratki zzuzia and the boru900i and wonder what's your opinion of them.
    Also in the Limerick area could you recommend someone who does fireplaces please?

Has to be the Stovax, no comparison in build quality and finish to the other two.
    Looks the best too imo. But of course the price reflects that.
    Elm Fireplaces on Ballysimon road have the best Fireplace showroom in the country. Livingstone fireplaces on dock road also very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Anyone know how to clean an enamelled stove that hasn't had a good clean in years? There is a whitish bloom on it and I don't want to do any damage.

Pique wrote: »
    Anyone know how to clean an enamelled stove that hasn't had a good clean in years? There is a whitish bloom on it and I don't want to do any damage.

Soapy water is the only thing recommended really.
    WD 40 is great but not recommended by all manufacturers. You would need to test it on a hidden Enamel area to make sure there is no reaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lottie2016

Thanks Forge for your reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Could someone tell me the difference between the Henley Achill and Henley Kinsale inset boiler stoves please? The Kinsale is a couple of hundred cheaper and has a right sided opening door.
    Same output, looks etc. What's the catch? 
    Are Henley inset stoves good? What about Precision, Alpha or Graphite? I've never heard of them so I'm wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

leck wrote: »

I'm not familiar with this stove but I have something similar. It's a bilberry insert. It fitted into the existing fireplace without breaking out the fireback. It's only 3.7kw but does the job. Takes a bit longer to warm up than the freestanding stanley oisin I have in another room.
    Any push in type insert won't take a huge amount of fuel in one go but I like the bilberry as it has a fairly big glass front. It needs to be fitted against a flat surface to ensure a tight seal. Think it was about €400.

That looks very similar - Bilberry 3.5kW. How big is the room? And where do you have a vent in the room?

The Blacksmith Artisan claims to be 5kW, which I would probably need for a room size 12 x 15 x 8. The stove is a bit deeper than the Bilberry - 290 vs 200, but think it would fit. Only thing is currently there's a granite slab at the back of the fireplace. That would probably have to be removed or would crack with heat.

• Advertisement

That looks very similar - Bilberry 3.5kW. How big is the room? And where do you have a vent in the room?

The Blacksmith Artisan claims to be 5kW, which I would probably need for a room size 12 x 15 x 8. The stove is a bit deeper than the Bilberry - 290 vs 200, but think it would fit. Only thing is currently there's a granite slab at the back of the fireplace. That would probably have to be removed or would crack with heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

https://www.facebook.com/clarecountycouncil/posts/1859791427626395
    This is for those that think it's a Diy job to fit stoves

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭doniepony

Hi folks - need some advice please

I have installed a Yale 8KW Henley stove recently in a stove chamber (new build) and my wife really wants to put an natural oak beam over this stove. I have put a vermiculite board in the head of the chamber. I have cladded the full chamber with stone and have plenty of room around the stove. I installed an 8" limestone surround around the stove. From the head of the stove to the top of the surround where the beam would sit is about 22". Would this be enough of a distance for this combustible beam. I know we can get fake beams but have already ordered it. Looked in building regs and cannot find the distance needed between top of stove to natural beam.

Any advice appreciated please

Donal

Hi,
    Building regs won't give a distance to combustibles as every stove is different.
    Contact the manufacturer for overhead distance to combustibles for this stove.
    This will tell you whether you can or cannot have a real timber mantle beam.
    My guess is it will be somewhere from 600mm to 900mm overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 deniseb1000

Hello, I am hoping someone can give me some advise on choosing wood burning cassette stove to heat the sitting room which is 11ft wide * 17 ft * 8ft high. The heat output calculator says I need 4kw but there isn't very much at all in that category and even less in the style I like. I really like the Kratki Jas 7kw and the Henley Athens 500 styles. I have had a couple of companies out and they are giving me conflicting advise. One guy told me I would be fine with a 7kw stove in the room ( he said I could go up to 8kw if I wanted!) and just open the door but the other guy told me if I go more than 5kw I will crack my ceiling and warp my doors with the heat! I don't want to make a mistake on this as it is a lot of money so if anyone has any experience on these stoves or have other recommendations I really would appreciate the advice.

A 5/6kw stove will be plenty for that size room.
    However the sales person may be scare mongoring suggesting it cracking your ceiling etc if bigger.
    A bigger stove would also cost more and the installation would likely cost more also however.
    Models I would suggest as follows based on you wanting a cassette style. All as good as each other really.
    Heat Design Vitae 6kw
    Henley Athens 400 6kw
    Heritage Clare 6kw
    Hota Glass 6kw

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

My son asked me if I knew of a good dry stove with glass at front and one side. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Any suggestions?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Forge83 wrote: »

Thanks Forge. Never saw one before. That one looks great. Do you know if they give trouble keeping glass clear? There is a lot of it there.

Any suggestions for a make and places to shop?

To be honest I don't know. They would be strictly dried wood only I'd imagine so shouldn't stain glass too much.
    Spartherm would be the market leaders in this type of model but very expensive. I assume a new build house as they are a big job to install.
    I'm sure there are others brands too, I will check later on.

What county you based in?

• Advertisement

To be honest I don't know. They would be strictly dried wood only I'd imagine so shouldn't stain glass too much.
    Spartherm would be the market leaders in this type of model but very expensive. I assume a new build house as they are a big job to install.
    I'm sure there are others brands too, I will check later on.

Yes, a new build. Wexford/Carlow, though they have been to Dublin a few times recently looking at baths.
    Thanks

Thank you very much Forge83 for taking the time to respond - it's really appreciated! I will check out those stoves today ðŸ‘

Wearb wrote: »
    Yes, a new build. Wexford/Carlow, though they have been to Dublin a few times recently looking at baths.
    Thanks

As I said Spartherm would be considered No 1. Very expensive though.(Prob around 4/5k)
    Dik Geurts would be as good. Priced more mid range(Still around 3k I'd imagine) Try Stove store Flame in Carlow for both of these.
    Best Value would be Kratki. Try Stone and Stoves Rathcoole Dublin for these.(Less than 2k).

As I said Spartherm would be considered No 1. Very expensive though.(Prob around 4/5k)
    Dik Geurts would be as good. Priced more mid range(Still around 3k I'd imagine) Try Stove store Flame in Carlow for both of these.
    Best Value would be Kratki. Try Stone and Stoves Rathcoole Dublin for these.(Less than 2k).
    Lots of good info there. I will pass it on. Thanks.

Hello Forge83, with your advice we looked at stoves today and I've settled on the Henley Athens. Would you know if €1150 sounds reasonable to install it? It will be installed by a certified HETAS installer, with the full chimney liners etc. Thanks again!

€1500 for chimney liner, vermiculite, chimney cap, connection pipe and installation? Single storey or two storey house?

€1500 for chimney liner, vermiculite, chimney cap, connection pipe and installation? Single storey or two storey house?

Hi, yes €1150 for all of those in a two storey house. 2 carbon monoxide alarms as well

Just to install - the stove is separate

Yes I assumed stove was separate.
    Great price to be honest,you won't get much better than that anywhere.
    March to July are the best times to buy and install a stove as it's quiet so shops and fitters keep their prices lower.

Yes I assumed stove was separate.
    Great price to be honest,you won't get much better than that anywhere.
    March to July are the best times to buy and install a stove as it's quiet so shops and fitters keep their prices lower.

Ah great, thanks very much for that - I'm delighted now - the search is over! Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,
    Anyone ever install an oil stove into their house and if so what brand did they go for?
    I know you can get oil stoves originally made for boats which can be used in houses. I'm making the assumption that if they work well with a short chimney in a boat then they would also work with a house chiney - single storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Haven17 wrote: »
    Hello, really hoping someone can help me with this! I'm looking for a double sided stove with external air supply suitable for use in a house with heat recovery ventilation. Its a new build, not passive but hoping to be as airtight as we can afford. I have contacted numerous stove suppliers and opinions seem to vary from one sales person to the next - especially in relation to having a wall vent in the rooms a stove may be installed in - why have HRV if this is the case. As it stands I have been unable to find a double sided stove with external air going directly to the fire box. Does anyone have experience on this, any and all advice greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Did you have any luck with sourcing one?

If there is a stove there has to be a wall vent. Regardless of whether it is HRV or not.
    Yes it's contradictory but that is what the building regulations state. It is for carbon monoxide safety.
    Biggest selling free standing Double side stove with external air is probably the Boru Carrig Mor double. The only other one I am aware of is the Brightfire 20.
    There are many other free standing double sided stoves but none with external air to the best of my knowledge.
    I will have a look later if there is another option.
    If it was an inset cassette there would be more options.....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

If there is a stove there has to be a wall vent. Regardless of whether it is HRV or not.
    Yes it's contradictory but that is what the building regulations state. It is for carbon monoxide safety.
    Biggest selling free standing Double side stove with external air is probably the Boru Carrig Mor double. The only other one I am aware of is the Brightfire 20.
    There are many other free standing double sided stoves but none with external air to the best of my knowledge.
    I will have a look later if there is another option.
    If it was an inset cassette there would be more options.....

Thanks for replying

Do you know if there is any genuine room sealed inset cassette options that will in a passive house with MHRV?

CaraK wrote: »
    Thanks for replying

Do you know if there is any genuine room sealed inset cassette options that will in a passive house with MHRV?

Spartherm definetly have them-
    http://europeanstovesandfireplaces.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/GB_H2O_Prospekt_32S_2015_03.pdf

There are others that I am quiet sure can also be ordered as sealed but as I am not 100% I wouldn't post them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Eoghan25

Looking to get views on standalone stove pricing. Looking for something in existing fireplace.

http://johnwalshfireplaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/free_standing_stove.jpg

its for a small sitting room measurements only for room heating not rads etc

3.07m x 5.07m

we currently have a standard fireplace will looking to get the fireplace ripped out,fireplace hole enlarged, the brick work done on the inside similar to pic and stove installed. I was at fireplace store today
    and i was saying hoping to keep in budget of 2k all in install etc. I was told this was completely unrealistic i would be looking
    3k at minimum which seems expensive to me? Am i being unrealistic on this
    Eoghan25 wrote: »
    Looking to get views on standalone stove pricing. Looking for something in existing fireplace.

http://johnwalshfireplaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/free_standing_stove.jpg

its for a small sitting room measurements only for room heating not rads etc

3.07m x 5.07m

we currently have a standard fireplace will looking to get the fireplace ripped out,fireplace hole enlarged, the brick work done on the inside similar to pic and stove installed. I was at fireplace store today
    and i was saying hoping to keep in budget of 2k all in install etc. I was told this was completely unrealistic i would be looking
    3k at minimum which seems expensive to me? Am i being unrealistic on this

2k including the stove?
    Are you lining the chimney?

i was hoping that stove would be included with 2k am i dreaming?

There is existing lining i will be getting inspected and will decide based on that
    Eoghan25 wrote: »
    i was hoping that stove would be included with 2k am i dreaming?

There is existing lining i will be getting inspected and will decide based on that

Not realistic to be honest. 3k seems reasonable including the stove and materials.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

Can you do some of the work yourself?

It's not rocket science or anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Hello, I am hoping someone can give me some advise on choosing wood burning cassette stove to heat the sitting room which is 11ft wide * 17 ft * 8ft high. The heat output calculator says I need 4kw but there isn't very much at all in that category and even less in the style I like. I really like the Kratki Jas 7kw and the Henley Athens 500 styles. I have had a couple of companies out and they are giving me conflicting advise. One guy told me I would be fine with a 7kw stove in the room ( he said I could go up to 8kw if I wanted!) and just open the door but the other guy told me if I go more than 5kw I will crack my ceiling and warp my doors with the heat! I don't want to make a mistake on this as it is a lot of money so if anyone has any experience on these stoves or have other recommendations I really would appreciate the advice.

Why go wood burning? Multi fuels are handy to have in case you want to burn coal (overnight burns etc). I think the comment you got about cracking ceilings and warping doors is over the top, especially for a 5kw stove. We have a Boru 7kw casette / insert and it has been doing great for the past 18 months. It heats a large living room, and the adjoining kitchen too. With all doors closed, and at full tilt, it will get the living room to 27c after a few hours, which is uncomfortably hot but I wanted to see what it could do. Remember - with any 7kw stove - you don't have to run it full of fuel, at full heat. I would definitely get more professional advice. You should read my post about insert stoves from 18 months ago where we had a bad experience. Proper and safe installation is so important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Anyone know if I could get an inset stove into this fireplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

You will need to change the white bits at side from what I can gather. The wooden surround you can keep

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You will need to change the white bits at side from what I can gather. The wooden surround you can keep

Can you explain your reasoning that the wooden surround can be kept?
    Because if you can't your advice could kill someone.
    Wreckless comment!

• Advertisement

The short answer is no.
    The timber surround overhead is going to be too close for safety. There are a small number of stoves which allow a 300mm gap but it looks like that is not there.
    What is the width of the opening? If not 16" minimum then the tiled insert would have to be changed. The metal hood would have to be cut off.
    In short it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole fireplace.

I would hope the person would go to installer anyway

See attachment for measurement. I meant to attach to original post

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would hope the person would go to installer anyway

See attachment for measurement. I meant to attach to original post

They asked the question here though and you gave out false information.
    Also please ignore the dimensions you have posted as they are not correct!!
    That is for one specific Inset stove. Every Inset stove should have their own tested distance to combustibles.
    I think it's best you refrain from posting on stove installation as you obviously don't know.

They asked the question here though and you gave out false information.
    Also please ignore the dimensions you have posted as they are not correct!!
    That is for one specific Inset stove. Every Inset stove should have their own tested distance to combustibles.
    I think it's best you refrain from posting on stove installation as you obviously don't know.

hahaha

Serious grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

Yes that looks like Stanley cara inset.
    Stove is 600mm high plus 550mm above...not many timber surrounds going to have over 1meter to hearth .
    So in this case timber would have to be removed in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the replies, will have to measure up when I get home to get the opening width, distance between the bits and pieces etc.

Sorry to start a row!

Thanks for the replies, will have to measure up when I get home to get the opening width, distance between the bits and pieces etc.

Sorry to start a row!

You didn't start a row and I am sure that you have been able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sorry to start a row!

No row here

Best of luck with it

May a multi fuel stove (or even two of them) be installed in a new build and still comply with building regulations?

Yes.
    However....
    1.To achieve an acceptable energy rating the house may require extra renewable energy sources, high level insulation, triple glazed windows etc. They are just examples.
    2.Each room with a stove will require a wall vent. This contradicts the use of a heat recovery system but it is what the building regulations state.
    3.Each stove will have to have an external air pipe for its own independent air supply.

I am a stove person but I think anybody building a new house would be mad to put in two stoves. In a new build house a stove is really only a comfort feature,it should not really be needed as a form of heat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement