Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

hardybuck wrote: »

I'd also question the wisdom of the whole 3-3-1 business. Whatever about having internal goals to work towards, but emblazoning them into the teams gear was very poor judgement.

If this nonsense was Derek McGraths idea then Id seriously question his credentials. Hes being hailed above as some sort of future messiah and someone who has the utmost respect of his players but if you ask me DLS were a bit of a laughing stock with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

At the moment we have a mixture of older and younger players. Whoever takes over from Michael Ryan will reap the rewards of the introduction of lots of youngsters and a team like this in 3 years time should be in a better position to challenge for honours than the present team:

1. Stephen O’ Keeffe (25)
    2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    4. Paudie Pendergast (24)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    10. Brian O’ Halloran (25)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    12. Maurice Shanahan (26)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Rough ages are in brackets but there is the makings of a team who should be strong enough to challenge for All Irelands. It's not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

At the moment we have a mixture of older and younger players. Whoever takes over from Michael Ryan will reap the rewards of the introduction of lots of youngsters and a team like this in 3 years time should be in a better position to challenge for honours than the present team:

2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Rough ages are in brackets but there is the makings of a team who should be strong enough to challenge for All Irelands. It's not all doom and gloom.

Looks like a strong team in a few years if lads progress well. I'm not sure about All Irelands, but they should be competitive at least. I'm convinced that Eoin Madigan's future lies at centre or full forward though! I'd see no reason why Kevin Moran wouldn't be playing at the age of 29 either.

I think if you take a look across the top few counties at the moment you'll see that Cork & Clare both have young teams who they will be expecting to see do well in 2-3 years. Galway and Tipp seem to have conveyor belts of young lads coming in year after year, and Dublin will only get stronger as well with the work they are doing at underage. Kilkenny obviously won't be going anywhere, but they are bound to have some transition when Cody eventually leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

To be fair to Michael Ryan, I think he's done a relatively good job by keeping Waterford in Division 1 for the last two seasons and making the munster final last year. We doesn't have a whole lot at his disposal at the minute and if anything I think its encouraging that he has been able to build such a young, talented team from limited underage success. People don't seem to understand that teams are going to undergo transitional periods everynow and again. I think from the 07/08 teams, the only two players who played on Sunday were Brick and Prendergast, (Correct me if im wrong) that is a huge change around in 5 years. Also regarding Mullane and Kelly, both have been fantastic servants to Waterford hurling and have both played for the bones of a decade. Mullane still has a lot to offer, but he doesn't want to be a part of the panel, we must respect that, he owes nothing. Lets move on and look to the future.

Although there has been a lot of injuries and withdrawls, I don't think it would of changed a whole lot. Fair enough Walsh was a loss, but Daniels, Fives, Mahoney, Foley and Molumphy, would all be 2-8 anyway, thats not where the problem lies. What I feel somes it up at the moment is trying to think of realistic replacements for the forwards. I didn't see the intermediate game, did anyone perform well enough to push for a senior place ?

I think McGrath would be fantastic choice of manager in the future, would like him to take the minors or U21's for a few years first however. I don't see how the fact that he has won 2 harty cups and a county senior championship can possibly be held against him. It was also mentioned that he barely got past the Clare champions , in Clare and the fact they didn't win the Munster. Clare hurling is not that bad that you can expect to walk past them into a munster final, the fact that they didn't win one in 31 years is pretty redundant, De La salle had never won one and went onto win munster. In the munster final they also had to play the majority of the game with 14 men, this is something management has no control over. It was a stupid pull and they were competing well upto that point.

Overall the qualifiers might be a better option, they will more then likely get a game or two under their belts before meeting stronger opposition. Lets be honest, they were very unlikely to win munster anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Tony Browne (43)

This bit of the post needs more love. WP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

robopaddy wrote: »
    If this nonsense was Derek McGraths idea then Id seriously question his credentials. Hes being hailed above as some sort of future messiah and someone who has the utmost respect of his players but if you ask me DLS were a bit of a laughing stock with that.

Seeing Derek McGrath only make one change in the Munster final last year when DLS were down to 14 men for the entire second half. They put up a good fight but obviously began to fade near the end. By the time a change came it was too little too late. Was not impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

A lot of players coming through now from the city clubs DLS,BG,PASSAGE, MS if you include Aussie gleeson who will be on panel next year an few more have played under Derek an hold him in the highest regard, to compare him wit Meaney is laughable you hit the nail on the head his own dont even want him. And yes the backbone of the DLS club team have been coached by him from underage the whole way up so what ur seeing last couple of years is all his work realistically, I see your point but no disrespect to Scully or Meaney he have a much better CV then both of them together and I think if I was to blow up a coach in the county you won't find better then this chap. Where does he go to prove himself from winning county titles an Munster final appearances with his own club? It's not Brian Cody your dead right but were not exactly Kilkenny either.

I have no doubt as to what you say, but my point is having respect for your teacher while in school or for an ex teacher after coming out of school is one thing, after that its another thing, especially if you are attached to another club.

I don't think I compared Derek McGrath and Jimmy Meany as you suggest, and if I did, it was not intended to happen on my behalf. My point was that a few years ago, after he guided the county minors to success he was the best thing according to some (mostly from the city area) since the slice pan, but this year he to the best of my knowledge is out of a job. If he was as good suggests he was/is then he would have a team. It need not even be within the county, or it could be with a good Intermediate team.

Derek is the future that is for sure, ryan is just a stop gap appointment so id be anxious he'd be gone after this year so we can get serious about the future. whether Derek would want it this early in his career remains to be seen, but we cant have another shambles manager after ryan goes.

Our biggest problem is that we have a Shambles County Board. There is some good people gone in there new with the past five or six years, but there is a few there that are around much longer that needed to be removed from the board, leaving new people with new ideas move in their place.

alllcounty wrote: »
    Both Michael Ryan and Derek McGrath have managed De La Salle in the last 3 years. The best hurling I have seen De La Salle play was in 2010 when Michael Ryan was in charge and were very unluckey to be beaten by Clarinbridge after extra time in one of the best hurling games I have seen. Last year under Derek McGrath De La Salle were very poor in munster, they struggled to beat NewMarketOnFergus who won their county title after 31 years.

Against Thurles distribution of the ball to the forwards was poor with too much bunching of players in the forward line and not enough ball been played into space for one on one. In my opinion Michael Ryan is a far better manager than Derek McGrath and has done a good job since taking over as manager of the county team. We will be a division 1 team again next year and alot of the younger players will have gained experience which will benefit the team going forward.

Throw in the game with Lismore as well. They were short three or four first team players, including Maurice Shanahan who was suspended. Nobody gave Lismore a chance, but they pushed De La Salle all the way. Remember Dan Shanahan was excellent on that day and in the first half he hit the side netting when it looked easier to score. With 60 minutes played the sides were level and DLS needed a point in the added time from Eddie Barrett to win the game.

• Advertisement

2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

I love the way you stuck in Tony Browne there. Was disappointed he was not used on Sunday. Should have came on for the last 20 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Black Suir wrote: »
    I love the way you stuck in Tony Browne there. Was disappointed he was not used on Sunday. Should have came on for the last 20 minutes or so.

Come on in the last 20 mins or so to do what? In what position? The game was gone from us by the 50 minute mark. Bringing on a 40 year old Tony Browne against a Clare team only getting stronger as the game wore on would have been a stupid move & Ryan would have been slated if he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Black Suir wrote: »
    Our biggest problem is that we have a Shambles County Board. There is some good people gone in there new with the past five or six years, but there is a few there that are around much longer that needed to be removed from the board, leaving new people with new ideas move in their place.

your dead right there...

surely there is another game of "county board musical chairs" coming up, with the chairman becoming treasurer, a few munster council seats swapped around and like at a normal party everyone claims there doggy bag (expenses) and goes home happy campers! with the idiot clubs and general public bailing them out with more levys then the current govt!!

the waterford county board is the most inept clueless bunch in the country and thats before i even start on the pointless divisional boards.

my criticism of michael ryan is one thing and in hindsight the heat of the moment i shouldnt have been as harsh but i dont envy the man when he has to deal with the bunch of neanderthols we have at co. board level! all jokes aside it is like something out of killinascully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

2. Noel Connors (26)
    3. Shane Fives (27)
    5. Stephen Daniels (26)
    6. Philip Mahony (25)
    7. Eoin Madigan (24)
    8. Darragh Fives (25)
    9. Gavin O’ Brien (23)
    11. Paudie Mahony (24)
    13. Jake Dillon (23)
    14. Stephen Bennett (21)
    15. Jamie Barron (23)

Subs :
    Austin Gleeson (21)
    Stephen Roche (24)
    Tony Browne (43)
    Patrick Curran (21)

Add in Michael Harney, Tom Devine, Tadhg Bourke, Colin Dunford, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson and Michael Kearney there aswel, 7 top class players and if they are developed the right way by the u21 and senior management, will turn out to be fantastic hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Add in Michael Harney, Tom Devine, Tadhg Bourke, Colin Dunford, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson and Michael Kearney there aswel, 7 top class players and if they are developed the right way by the u21 and senior management, will turn out to be fantastic hurlers

We've a good supply of hurlers coming through in the 17-22 age bracket that have benefited from the change in club structures at minor in 2008. From the 24-30 plus age bracket the number of players in the county that are good enough is alot less with 1 or 2 players in each year or maybe none in some years that came through which are good enough for senior intercounty hurling. The future looks better than previous decades when the county team lacked strength and depth and lived off scraps from underage teams.

Having good club structures at underage and good coaching through the clubs and schools means a heck of alot and that is why we are still trying to play catch up to Kilkenny. Going forward we just need to be mindful of not returning back to the days of very poor club structures at underage and that is why any time the western board chairman and his mates put forward motions like he did earlier this year to play the minor hurling and football championship back to a divisional format should be rejected so that the supply of emerging talent coming through in the county wont dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ollie the Saint

tramore winning last night with 13 men for 45 minutes of the game.....unreal hurling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

tramore winning last night with 13 men for 45 minutes of the game.....unreal hurling

How did they end up in that predicament in the first place?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

whats so good about it...

Anyone at the abbeyside ballygunner game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Ballygunner are seriously under the coche now, 1/3 wins and only Passage (only one game played but looking serious this year) and Dungarvan left.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 RumMonkey

Twitter says they lost 1-21 to 4-6.

• Advertisement

Anyone have the starting 15? yeah gunner scored 3 goals in injury time, abbeyside the better team for 60mins so i heard

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Anyone have the starting 15? yeah gunner scored 3 goals in injury time, abbeyside the better team for 60mins so i heard

Well to be 15 points up going into injury time you would expect as much. I know Ballygunner had a man sent off early but god almighty.

I still think they'll be there or thereabouts at the business end. weve seen these type of results in the group stages before

anyone at the minor challenge game against kilkenny today in kilmacow? or hear anything about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

we dont want Offaly in the draw tomorrow.

Why cant they just make the draw on the sunday game tonight ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    we dont want Offaly in the draw tomorrow.

Why cant they just make the draw on the sunday game tonight ??

Granted we don't want them but we really should be beating Offaly if we draw then

deisedude wrote: »
    Granted we don't want them but we really should be beating Offaly if we draw then

We really should. Think home advantage could be important in the qualifiers though, wouldn't like to play them in Tullamore even though I feel Kilkenny played well within themselves.

I know it was Kilkenny they were playing, but to score 4 goals to 0 and still lose by 5 points is poor enough.

Think the loser of the Dublin/Wexford game (probably Wexford, I think they may have lost their chance) may be tougher as they will have had an extra game under their belts. We really have to believe we can beat anyone that we may face though.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Can Waterford draw Tipperary ?

Niallers87 wrote: »

Nope

YES. In the third round if both teams reach that far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not in this round as Tipp lost in the semi final and we lost in the quarter final they both go into different stages in the qualifiers

• Advertisement

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    BWexford/Dublin vs Antrim
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

Bit negative, think we should be able to beat Offaly and get through phase 1

Up the Deise !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭parish girl

Its going to be a long summer for one of us? Will be travelling more in hope than confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Beat Offaly and get a weekend in London?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭deeks

the draw is

Prem Round

A Offaly vs Waterford
    C London vs Westmeath

Phase 1
    Team B vs Carlow
    Team C vs Team A

Were ****ed

We really are ****ed if we don't believe we can beat Offaly and London or Westmeath.

Lads don't ye realise pth2009 is the resident thread pessimist. He's been predicting doom and gloom for Waterford for years now.

Its definitely a tricky draw, would have preferred Westmeath/London first and then Offaly but it is what is. Offaly's performance yesterday will focus the minds but we have to believe we can beat them, but of course take nothing for granted. And to be honest if we can't beat Offaly then we've no business in the later rounds of the championship anyway

Tough draw. On the plus side there would be nothing to learn from a home draw against a London or a Carlow but I suppose when its straight knock-out you just want to get through.

Offaly will definetly fancy taking us and they will have gained a lot of confidence from their performance yesterday. I think pound for pound we are better hurlers but they are a big strong physical side and as we seen yesterday anything can happen in championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Offaly got within 5 points of Kilkenny yesterday, and will be seriously enthused by the performance. If we got within that close of Kilkenny I think we'd be the same.

I remarked to a few people yesterday while watching the game that an away fixture to somewhere like that would be a big challenge, particularly after playing badly against Clare.

If we can't beat Offaly we have no business in the Championship. Having said that, I rate our chances at 50:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

Have faith lads, We gotta face the anybody before meeting the best. No point to avoid the best to win the All Ireland championship. We all know Waterford have no chance but we should be excited to see the new building team, Give Michael Ryan and the lads a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

From an outside perspective.
    Tough draw but potentially a very good draw for both. Whoever wins it will give a massive lift to and get the season back on track.

Offaly would be happier in their efforts V KK yesterday than Waterford V Clare.
    One of the hardest things now is to pick yourself up after being knocked out of the provincial. Every thought, training session and challenge match has gone into that for weeks and months.

Even during the league, Clare and KK would have been looked at as the big game. Now both have to refocus on 'new' opposition and get into the right frame of mind.
    The deflation of losing a 1st round can be fatal.
    personally whilst Offaly can take a lot of positives from yesterday, it will be a tough job for Ollie Baker to ensure they bring the same level of aggression and intensity the next day, not easy repeat that.
    One thing for the Waterford backs, the Offaly forwards seem way more physical than Clare's. Almost senior compared to U21.

Definitely the tie of the round ans from a neutral pov, its good to see a match up like that.

When we played Clare they were going for 3rd time lucky and they got it and we are now playing Offaly who are going for 3rd time lucky (we beat them in 2005 and 2008).

Waterford are not used to playing in Tullamore.

BTW what time will the game be on and will it be on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

When we played Clare they were going for 3rd time lucky and they got it and we are now playing Offaly who are going for 3rd time lucky (we beat them in 2005 and 2008).

Galway might have said the same when they played us in 1957. Fifty-six years and eight games later, they're still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

99% certain that it will be a 7.00 throw in at Tullamore on Sat week, the 22nd June.

RTE certain to show this also.

Hidalgo wrote: »
    One thing for the Waterford backs, the Offaly forwards seem way more physical than Clare's. Almost senior compared to U21.

Definitely the tie of the round ans from a neutral pov, its good to see a match up like that.

Agree with most of what you've said but at the same time Clare have big forwards like John Conlon and Honan. I know Honan looks thin, and has had injuries, but I'd say he's still physically imposing player. He's quite heavy, I remember seeing his weight once, probably on account of having large bones so he would not be easy knocked off a ball. I don't think Offaly have forwards with the class of Tony Kelly or Conor McGrath either, though I've always liked Joe Bergin. They are big though, but to be honest I think in the half back line we are better equipped to deal with big players rather than fast, skilful players.

Waterford are not used to playing in Tullamore.

BTW what time will the game be on and will it be on RTE

Ah yeah, that'll be where the game is decided the flawless law of "third time lucky" :rolleyes:

As far as the draw think it's the second toughest draw we could have had (maybe the toughest, though the fact that Wexford/Dublin will have had an extra game could count for a lot.) Was hoping we'd get a tough draw though I would have liked it to be at home. Offaly will be delighted they're in Tullamore, that would have been their main concern. Still though, while I don't think they will be throwing bricks through windows today I don't believe they'll be rubbing their hands with glee at the draw. We have the best championship record of any of the teams in the qualifiers at the moment (not including Tipp but they aren't really in it yet) going back at least as far back as 1999.

It's like Kev says, if we can't beat Offaly than we don't deserve to progress. Simple. And I think if we do win this game it's a massive confidence boost for the team. The whole point of being in the qualifiers is that the younger players play good opposition and get as many competitive games as possible. Long term, it will have very positive effects. No us playing London and Carlow and then getting hammered in the next round.

To be honest, if we do progress, I'd have preferred to be playing either Dublin or Wexford. Some people might say that so many tough games means a team is bound to lose, as all they need to have is one off day an they'll be caught, but the more competitive games the team gets the better, and I think it would be more use for whatever team wins in two weeks time to be playing a tough team before they play a winner from Phase 2 who will have had a really tough game most likely in their previous game.

The only thing I'd change about the draw is that we'd be at home. By the way, I know it's not designed to be that way, but we've awful hard luck with being drawn away. The footballers haven't had a home qualifier since 2006 at least.

In 2005, we had two away games (the Offaly game was in Carlow for the purposes of having a double header with the Offaly and Carlow footballers.)

2006 was the same, although going to Mullingar and Portlaoise was probably preferable to going to Salthill and having the other two games at home.

2008 was maybe the only one we were fortunate in that the only hoe and away game we managed to avoid playing going to Belfast.

Still though, it seems we are drawn away in both codes on pretty much every occasion we can be!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We played Offaly in the league, and it was weirdly similar to the match yesterday, we beat them 0-21 to 3-8.

They started brilliantly, went 2-3 to 0-1 up, Shane Dooley ran riot but once we got a grip on him, they weren't able to score. They simply didn't have the ability to take their points and we eased to victory in the end, even though they did get another goal and we only won by 4 points. If you can handle the high balls into Bergin/Egan and keep an eye on Dooley, their scoring threat isn't great.

Their defensive intensity against KK was superb, in the first half mainly, but if you're patient you can break them down. I think Offaly are good, but Waterford should beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Agree with most of what you've said but at the same time Clare have big forwards like John Conlon and Honan. I know Honan looks thin, and has had injuries, but I'd say he's still physically imposing player. He's quite heavy, I remember seeing his weight once, probably on account of having large bones so he would not be easy knocked off a ball. I don't think Offaly have forwards with the class of Tony Kelly or Conor McGrath either, though I've always liked Joe Bergin. They are big though, but to be honest I think in the half back line we are better equipped to deal with big players rather than fast, skilful players.

Honan doesn't put himself about physically nor is he very strong at picking ball out of the sky.
    Offaly appeared to be all big men, but not the motility of the names you mentioned, Kelly and McGrath.
    If Waterford forwards can put pressure on the Offaly backs, then the supply won't be top quality. I know it was pumped in high yesterday, but pressurise them and you could see deliveries going out over the end line.
    Dooley was one that was very quiet yesterday, if he has a big day, that ups Offaly's chances big time.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We played Offaly in the league, and it was weirdly similar to the match yesterday, we beat them 0-21 to 3-8.

They started brilliantly, went 2-3 to 0-1 up, Shane Dooley ran riot but once we got a grip on him, they weren't able to score. They simply didn't have the ability to take their points and we eased to victory in the end, even though they did get another goal and we only won by 4 points. If you can handle the high balls into Bergin/Egan and keep an eye on Dooley, their scoring threat isn't great.

Their defensive intensity against KK was superb, in the first half mainly, but if you're patient you can break them down. I think Offaly are good, but Waterford should beat them.

I think that while they put up a great fight yesterday (and that wa the biggest thing, along with a super goal by Bergin) they had all the luck too (bar that one ball not crossing the line). Colin Fennelly was about to goal and a hurley was thrown which knocked the ball away from him, should have been a penalty and a yellow. Cathal Parlon should have been sent off. If those two things had happened I reckon it probably wouldn't have been the tight game it seemed in the end, though it must be remembered that Offaly scored two goals in the last 8 minutes. It was a Kilkenny that no compulsion to really hammer home the game, they were content with just winning it.

It will certainly boost Offaly's confidence, and that is the biggest thing to draw from the game. Them being at home is certainly a big thing for them too. They have been close to winning a few games in the qualifiers the last few years as well. But I think they're a team we are well equipped to handle their forwards. Dooley is one of the best forwards in the Country, Noel Connors though is a great man marker. Ultimately, it's the platform provided from the back line, the supply that would define what a forward will score (or at least how many chances he will get) so we will lose the game if our half forward line is wiped out like it was against Clare.

You would hope that we'd improve in that department though the next day, and that coupled with better creativity and we would be favourites. Either way though I can't see there being much in it.

Hand on heart I honestly dont beleive this theory 'we should be beating Offaly'. A few years ago yes when we had a forward line of Flynn, McGrath, Shanahan, Mullane, Kelly etc. Yes we will be favourites but I was very impressed with that Offaly team yesterday. They matched Kilkenny for physicality and really tore into them from the off.

I thought they lived on the edge a little even but certainly had Kilkenny rattled for a while. They are a huge team and a worry for us is that a lot of our younger players are a bit on the light side and going up to Tullamore to take on a very agressive physical Offaly team could be a daunting task. Yes we might have the cleaner crisper hurlers but we cannot allow ourselves to be bullied out of it up there otherwise we could be in for a tough evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭noiniho

Offaly had a team of big hoors and they were up for the battle right until the last minute even when they were clearly going to lose. They are fit out and I have never seen Joe Bergin looking so lean and fit.

Waterford on the other hand have very little physicality in the forwards and unlike Offaly did not fight until the last minute even though they are trained by Pat Flanagan reputed to be one of the best physical coaches in the country. Basically a few fellas threw in the towel early and we were beaten after 60 minutes. We dont have a reliable free taker I thought Mahony was goin to be a lethal free taker and saw him score every one in the minor a few years ago against cork, but it doesn't seem to be going his way and we always seem to be switching free takers now so that is not a good sign.

I am very worried about going to Tullamore, but when you look at the players we cannot call on from last year, Daniels, foley, molumphy, mullane, Kelly, Eoin McGrath, Shane Walsh, some lads coming to the end of their inter county careers, but experienced players that could make all the difference against Offaly. Just to be missing them all in such a close time period is difficult for our squad to deal with.
    I think the best we can hope for is for some new leaders to emerge over what will be a difficult few years, and the young lads now will be the core of an emerging team that I have no doubt will go places

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

A lot of nerves have surfaced since we were drawn against Offaly. The very poor display against Clare is a big worry as the team looked rudderless in that game and if its repeated against The Faithful county our year will be over. We beat Offaly well in a challenge game a few weeks ago so lets see the value of challenge results now. Tullamore is a tough place to come out of with a win but a win we must get to make anything of this year. If the team fade again in the second half well Pat Flanagan's fitness regime will be a complete failure because Clare were the much fitter team the last day. Its all to play for and its going to be one tough game but what else would you want afterall this is championship now its either sink or swim. I wonder who will be the goalie for the next day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement