Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left 4 Dead

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ And for that reason if your PC is anyway decent I'd get it on that rather than on the xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Agree completely. It's a much better experience with the boards crowd than with randomers.

Was having a go of versus and single player. Think my thumb is better enough to have a few games of this now although I'm far from 100%, can't use my beloved hunting rifle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Stephen wrote: »
    ^^ And for that reason if your PC is anyway decent I'd get it on that rather than on the xbox.

+1 Get it off Steam if your PC can play it (unless you have a PC from 2004 it should be able to play it, most laptops will be able to run it)

There is always a load of b.ie'ers online each night playing versus and working on their achievements. In fact you usually have to wait around to get into a game because they are usually full.

That being said I can't see everyone hanging around forever. Best to get in now and get some experience while there are still the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭Basq

L31mr0d wrote: »
    +1 Get it off Steam if your PC can play it (unless you have a PC from 2004 it should be able to play it, most laptops will be able to run it).
    Only PC I have is a netbook (Samsung NC10) that's not nearly capable.

Everything else is Mac! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

^^ This is why you should get a pc thats not for teh gheys :pac:

Install windows on one of the macs :pac:

I kid, I kid.

Install windows on one of the macs :pac:

I kid, I kid.
    Yikes... why would you want to sully a good Mac with that..?! :eek:

** shudder **

Ah no, back on topic of the game. Not the place for a PC Vs Mac dispute *.

* Vista sux!

basquille wrote: »
    Only PC I have is a netbook (Samsung NC10) that's not nearly capable.

You'd be surprised, the source engine has to be one of the most highly optimized game engines out there. You might not be able to enable all the bells and whistles but it will more than likely run.

Here is a video of a guy playing UT4 on the NC10. Although, it will more than likely end up looking worse than the 360 version so you might as well just get that.

You'd be surprised, the source engine has to be one of the most highly optimized game engines out there. You might not be able to enable all the bells and whistles but it will more than likely run.

Here is a video of a guy playing UT4 on the NC10. Although, it will more than likely end up looking worse than the 360 version so you might as well just get that.

Cheers L31mr0d. Have upped to 2GB's of RAM in the netbook but I'd still be suprised if it ran well. There's a thread somewhere on the Samsung Netbook forums regarding what the NC10 will play and how well.

Might just wait for the 360 version to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not a chance in hell of L4D running on the NC10, the GMA950 can barely struggle through Half Life 2 at minimum settings in Dx7 mode (with a much more powerful CPU, the GMA does everything through software and so relies on the CPU heavily, which means a slow cpu like the Atom results in even worse performance compared to a normal core2 or even some of the faster celeron M's) Left4Dead would neither boot up, and if it somehow did, run at anything over 1 or 2 frames per second at best. Incidentally Ut2k4 also runs pretty poorly, the framerate is totally erratic regardless of what's happening on screen i.e it will wildly fluctuate from 10-60fps for no real reason and in random circumstances. UT2k4 is also a world apart from Left4Dead, a card that could run UT2k4 at maximum settings at 1920x1200 could easily struggle with Left4Dead at 800x600 low settings. So comparing them really has no purpose to be honest, it'd be like comparing GTAIV to San Andreas as a basis to running it.

I'd say anything mobile around the Go7600/8400GS/GT or X1600/HD3470 ranges should be able to run it very fluidly at somewhat lowered settings. So yeah a cheap laptop will run it, but you'd want a relatively decent one to run it at Xbox 360 levels (maybe an 8600MGT+). 500 euro would get you a laptop that'd get through it pretty well if you didn't already have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Set up a server in the uk.

85.234.148.43:27035

nomnomnom search key atm (sv_search_key into console before lobby setup)

Telgere wrote: »
    Set up a server in the uk.

85.234.148.43:27035

nomnomnom search key atm (sv_search_key into console before lobby setup)

Is it fully set up and configured now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

We've also got a server running.

b_560x95.png

We shifted it from the UK to the Netherlands since some people where having connection issues. Between the two we should get a good mix.

no sv_search_key on it at the moment, though I'm happy to set it to the same as the above.

Is it possible to associate either of those servers with the boards steam group? That should eliminate having to mess with the console entirely.

Give me the boards.ie group ID and I'll do it.
    We have ours associated with the DarkKeep group atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Guys. In the main menu, how do I see the boards.ie associated servers ?

I can see those from 411 L4d group but not boards.ie (of which I am also a member). Am I missing something ?

You should see the servers associated with your groups on the main menu beside your online friends. Though it can take a bit of time for them to appear. (Assuming boards.ie has any associated with it)

I think the group ID is just "boards_ie" - URL for it is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boards_ie

I think the group ID is just "boards_ie" - URL for it is http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boards_ie
    The group ID is a number, you can get it from the admin page for the group.

Oh. Over to tba then, I think he's the group admin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Yeah that's it, it's a server side c_var. The server owner needs to associate his server with the steam group using it's ID, then any group members will see the server on the main menu.

Well if tbh wants to pm or max the group ID we can change our server over to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Here is one especially for you Skilless :D

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=SKILLESS&b=Crash your computer on the final level of Dead Air in Expert mode after 4 hours leaving your team with a bot.&c=u&e=35&f=2[/img]

Yea if tba sends me the id I can link it to the boards group.

You need the search key to connect from the lobby system to your server. Doesn't automatically do it when you link it to a group. Sometimes its even bugged at that. Make sure you enter sv_search_key before making lobby and if that doesn't work use
    sv_cheats 1;ms_force_dedicated_server 85.234.148.43:27035
    (or 94.75.238.11:27015)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Anyone who's had the misfortune of playing with me will understand :p

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=WHO GAVE REV A GUN ?&b=Statically hit your fellow survivors more often than the intended infected.&c=u&e=41&f=2[/img]

Anyone who's had the misfortune of playing with me will understand :p

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=WHO GAVE REV A GUN ?&b=Statically hit your fellow survivors more often than the intended infected.&c=u&e=41&f=2[/img]

I heartily endorse this statement.

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=MARSHBAB00N'D&b=Survive at least one campaign without TK'ing or kicking him while enduring his constant verbal abuse and asshattery&c=0&d=1&e=15&f=2[/img]

If you've had the misfortune of playing with this guy, you'll understand the sheer difficulty in not shotgunning him in the face at least once. If he's not blaring Benny Hill music over his mic constantly he's running off alone in the wrong direction or shouting any number of expletives at you. He's equal parts hilarious as he is annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Heres one for you Max.

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=THAT ROOM&b=The other survivors intend to murder you, so kill them first.&c=1237&d=2000&e=48&f=2[/img]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Had a seriously fun VS match with a few boardsies last night.

Boardsies Vs the world and we kicked ass! :)

This game is worth every penny that it costs :)

Jumpy wrote: »
    Heres one for you Max.

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=THAT ROOM&b=The other survivors intend to murder you, so kill them first.&c=1237&d=2000&e=48&f=2[/img]

lol - the one with the ladder on Dead Air no??
    Telgere wrote: »

Gotta catch em all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

[img]http://l4d-fr.com/ach.php?a=MARSHBAB00N'D&b=Survive at least one campaign without TK'ing or kicking him while enduring his constant verbal abuse and asshattery&c=0&d=1&e=15&f=2[/img]

If you've had the misfortune of playing with this guy, you'll understand the sheer difficulty in not shotgunning him in the face at least once. If he's not blaring Benny Hill music over his mic constantly he's running off alone in the wrong direction or shouting any number of expletives at you. He's equal parts hilarious as he is annoying.

I have this odd desire to play with him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

i want to get this, the demo kicks ass, so much fun...

anybody spot any good prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

• Advertisement

Aye, that was a good game, and the opposing team weren't sh1t or anything either :)

OctavarIan wrote: »

godda you marshbab00n :mad: I'd never done it before so I thought it would just launch me into the air.. but no, it launched me right off the side of the map :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,829 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Balls. Was home late from college, dying to play my first game of left 4 dead in ages. Got on with a few boardsies and then my mother starts screaming at me to turn that **** off because she is sick and going to bed early :( Good to know i missed out on a great game. I need to move out.

godda you marshbab00n :mad: I'd never done it before so I thought it would just launch me into the air.. but no, it launched me right off the side of the map :(

haha, I saw him doing that himself last night. His team were about to be finished off so he goes and starts meleeing the minigun and got launched right off the roof. He flew straight over my head as I spawned as a hunter a fair distance away :)

haha, I saw him doing that himself last night. His team were about to be finished off so he goes and starts meleeing the minigun and got launched right off the roof. He flew straight over my head as I spawned as a hunter a fair distance away :)

...and then switched to the infected team and used to the exploit to spawn a dozen hunters.

http://www.left4dead411.com/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&topic=6997&page=0

Dead air vs mode. Great fun, nice break from the no mercy, blood maps.

• Advertisement

Sorry guys the broken thumb was letting me down, can't turn fast enough and can't be accurate at all :/ Still good fun playing Dead Air in versus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

is steam community down for maintenance for any of yous too?

cant seem to get connected to steam..and also cant get connected to any L4D games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Yeah it's borked all around I think. From what I could tell of the 5 mins I played there Dead Air looks like fun on versus mode.

Yeah seems to be down, thought it was just my PC but it seemed to go down just as we finished the game of dead air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Steam servers seem to be partially down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement