Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gf stealing from me

Options
  • 21-04-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I can't believe I actually writing this but here goes.

I think my partner might be stealing from me. We've been together for almost 10 months and I'm mad about her. We don't live together but she spends alot of time in my place. I own a studio apartment in town and was planning on asking her to move in soon but now I'm not so sure.

A few strange things have happened and I'm begining to feel like I'm losing my mind. I recently left an envelope in my drawer with a large amount of money in it but when I counted it yesterday, I realised that over 100 quid was missing. I live alone and haven't touched the money. My friends hang out in the front room and would never go into my bedroom.

Shirts have gone missing and old photographs of ex girlfriends. Things are also turning up in random places, like I'll find my aftershave under the bed and not in the bathroom where I left it or my shoes won't have laces in them anymore.

Another thing is that my dog seems to be getting bigger by the day. I think she's feeding him or something.

I know it sounds bad but i'm thinking of planting some money in a drawer and seeing what happens.

Should I confront her? She's coming over for dinner later?

Thanks for advice - I know it's a weird one!

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

OP, this isn't an easy situation to handle, because either way, the outcome isn't good. If you do catch her in the act of stealing from you, then your relationship is over, and if you accuse her in the wrong, then your relationship is over. We only have your post to go on as to who has access to your room, so I assume that you have your specific suspicions as to why you don't think that one of your friends could have gone through your stuff and found the money.

The problem at the moment is that you have no actual proof, and if you accuse without proof then all she has to do is deny it and you're back to square one, but with a very angry ex girlfriend. So it really comes down to whether your gut instinct tells you that you should continue having a relationship with her or not. If you do decide to continue seeing her, and seeing what happens, I wouldn't accuse her, but I would bring up in conversation that weird things have been going missing and turning up in odd places and you don't know what to think. And gauge her reaction. And either way be smart - change your pin numbers on your cards and don't leave your money or your cards lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

She may be suffering from kleptomania. I would tread lightly here, but this cannot go unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Do you think she might be on drugs? Money going missing but also shoe laces could imply that.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Is it possible the dog ate your shoe laces, money and photographs and that's why it got fat? That might also explain the aftershave.

Jokes aside I think it is your girlfriend, one of your friends or else you have a sleep disorder and are doing these things in your sleep! What other reasonable explanation could there be? Do you have a tendency to be overly suspicious of people?

If it is your girlfriend you could hide a video recorder in your bedroom with the money hidden and see what happens. That's a pretty extreme solution but if it keeps happening you might want to have solid evidence of what's really going on. Sucks if she is doing that nothing worse than seeing another side to someone you care about. +1 if she's on drugs that can really bring out the worst in people. But it still doesn't mean u put up with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleepless and Manic

I like the idea of a discreet camera. That way there can be no doubt at all. And you'd have proof.

The after shave under the bed is weird.

Did you ever see the film "Paranormal Activity"?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Yeah you need evidence - but make sure you don't get caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Do you leave her alone in your place while you work ?

If you do my gut would tell me its her taking the cash and pictures but the after shave under the bed is a weird one

Do you think she might have another guy over and maybe he is moving things around to **** with you?

I mean she might well be taking cash and pictures but why would she move your aftershave to under the bed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

check her shoes when you see her later. If she's wearing the laces, confront her.

If not, try and get proof, or just dump her

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

OP does any of your friends dislike your girlfriend for some reason?

If they did, what's to say they haven't been doing all this to try and cause trouble or/and a break up between you?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Leaving some money out or even taking photographs of your room so you can clearly see where everything is before and after she's been over sound like reasonable actions.

Secretly filming her, however, is OTT and would scare off any future girlfriends if word got out. Even though the situation seemed justified, I would feel deeply uncomfortable about any guy who secretly filmed his girlfriend. Think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

To be honest, if you've gotten to the point where the only way you can be sure about your relationship is to set up a hidden camera and try to entrap her, then your relationship is already over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Why don't you just say it to her?
    "Hey, did you see money floating around? I was sure I had X amount in Y place. Just wondering did you move it?". You should say it to her in person so you can gauge by her body language as well as her response.
    Avoid the crazy hidden camera stuff. You are not a spy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Camera is a big no-no. It will only end up badly!!

I'd broach the subject like this "Dya know I'm starting to wonder if I've a ghost, c'mere til I tell you the mad ****e that's been happening!" Keep it light and funny, and keep a close eye on her reactions and movements.

If all else fails, do leave some cash out where you KNOW she can see it and in a situation where you KNOW she's the only one with access. That way you'll be certain if it goes missing.

Put some money in an envelope with a note : 'I'm really disappointed you're stealing from me, and it breaks my heart that I can't trust you'

And see what happens. If she's not stealing nothing will happen, if she is it'll be really hard to pretend she didn't see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If all else fails, do leave some cash out where you KNOW she can see it and in a situation where you KNOW she's the only one with access. That way you'll be certain if it goes missing.

I'd go with this

I usually empty my pockets when I get home of my keys, phone and whatever money I have and leave them on a table, maybe you could do something similar after a while, come up with an excuse to leave for about half an hour without the need for money

"Left something in Y's house, just gonna pop over to get it, brb."

Pick up your stuff, say to yourself but loud enough for her to hear "Got my keys, phone, won't need the money, have my card, grand! Cya!" and off you go.

If you come back and it's gone, you know what the story is.

Probably put a bit too much thought into this.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If you feel you have to leave money out/record her/test her, the relationship is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mike_ie wrote: »
    To be honest, if you've gotten to the point where the only way you can be sure about your relationship is to set up a hidden camera and try to entrap her, then your relationship is already over.

Not sure I agree with this. End of the day weird stuff is happening and he's no idea how/who is doing it. He's been going out with his gf for 10 months so it's just not possible to completely rule her out. If he sets up a camera and find he's doing this all in his sleep/a friend is doing it then what's stopping him continuing to see her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Candie wrote: »
    Put some money in an envelope with a note : 'I'm really disappointed you're stealing from me, and it breaks my heart that I can't trust you'

And see what happens. If she's not stealing nothing will happen, if she is it'll be really hard to pretend she didn't see that.
    To be honest if the OP does this, and the girlfriend or whoever is stealing it sees it, they quite possibly won't take the money or anything, they will wait until there is money lying around that they can steal, but it could be a few days, weeks or even months before they take anything again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you're setting bait, mark or identify it in some way that will be noticeable to you so you'll know it's your €20.00 etc.

However this won't confirm that the person who takes this money is the person who took the money before. So you'll have to think about what you'll do then.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I remember a kid in our school was nicking from the changing rooms. Teachers suspected one kid for a while so they planted money (in a pants pocket) that was completely covered with UV powder - invisible except under a UV light.

When it went missing they made us all line up while they shone a UV torch on us. Kid had it all over him like a rash. Good idea i thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

+1 for hidden camera

If she's stealing, the proof will be there.

If she's not stealing, then you'll find out who is, and she'll be in the clear.

Either way the camera isn't in itself a sign your relationship is over - it's just a tool used to find out exactly who is stealing from you. At this point we don't necessarily know that it's definitely your girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Don't count on being able to read body language or her reaction if confronted. I had a 'friend' like this. They are expert liars and you would actually believe black was white, so convincing they can be!

If you do manage to catch her in the act, through recording equipment for e.g., you don't have to tell her why you're dumping her. Just dump her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

This happened to me but with a housemate. I had money in a wallet in the drawer of my bedroom and when i went to get it i was €100 down. It was tricky cause i didnt want to accuse her but i didnt want to let her away with it either.

So i stuck a note right at the front of the drawer telling her "put my money back". And left it at that. I knew if she was going in for more she'd see it and not take anything else. I didnt think she'd actually put it back (silly cow, why not just do nothing and let me think i was crazy). I found it a few weeks later back in my wallet and told her to get the F out or i'd call the cops.

Tilly wrote: »
    This happened to me but with a housemate. I had money in a wallet in the drawer of my bedroom and when i went to get it i was €100 down. It was tricky cause i didnt want to accuse her but i didnt want to let her away with it either.

So i stuck a note right at the front of the drawer telling her "put my money back". And left it at that. I knew if she was going in for more she'd see it and not take anything else. I didnt think she'd actually put it back (silly cow, why not just do nothing and let me think i was crazy). I found it a few weeks later back in my wallet and told her to get the F out or i'd call the cops.

Lol, would you call her an honest thief or one of Ireland's dumbest criminals? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

sopretty wrote: »
    Lol, would you call her an honest thief or one of Ireland's dumbest criminals? :D
    I'd call her an idiot :P

Haha, timely news article here.

Perhaps re-think the advice of secretly recording her!!!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/dunnes-has-to-pay-worker-8000-after-spy-camera-catches-her-eating-deli-food-30209450.html
    A DUNNES Stores worker who was fired after admitting to eating deli food without paying has been awarded €8,000 by the Employment Appeals Tribunal.

The retailer has been criticised by the EAT for spying on workers after becoming suspicious that staff were eating chips, chicken goujons and other food.

The tribunal said Dunnes Stores' investigation "fell short of acceptable practice" after its head of security confirmed to the EAT that he installed two CCTV cameras in a deli and retail area and this was done at a request from the store manager.

The tribunal heard the cameras were installed unbeknownst to staff after an anonymous call informed the head office that staff were consuming food.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Chara1001

Think i'd go with the recording too,

saw this video where these people realized that someone was coming in using their pool while they were out, went through the list of suspects, set up the recording equipment which showed it was the neighbors' dog.

The point is that it mightn't be your girlfriend, and if she gets unfairly blamed and dumped for this and she didn't do it, that's just...unfair.

Of course it could be her too, if you speak to her about it and she's innocent-she's very rightly going to be angry, if she's not innocent- she's going to be very angry and point out it makes no sense for her to steal/ move your stuff where the only finger of blame points back to her. I don't think it'll help speaking to her about it.

It's really strange to have photos of your ex taken- i think that's a bit creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Hi Guys,

Another thing is that my dog seems to be getting bigger by the day. I think she's feeding him or something.

QUOTE]
    I don't know what you should do about the other stuff but you should ask her and your friends if they are feeding the dog when you are not around. It's not healthy for him to be overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭thebomb

That made me laugh not the stealing of money but the shoelaces gone missing and she might be feading ur dog lol and why have u still pics of ur ex

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Think logically.

When did you put the money in the drawer? Exactly how much was in it?

When did you realize it was missing? Exactly how much?

Try the camera. You might be surprised about it being one of your friends. And the other stuff sounds like practical jokes.

This is what you do. Take all the notes you have and in the corner of each one put a little x or a / or star in pen very tiny hardly visible if you where not looking. Make a note of exactly how much you have and take nothing from this amount. You don't want to absent mindedly spent some yourself.

Count your money before and after ANYONE is in your place.

Check her things to see if the marked notes are there before you leave.
    But there must be something about her that makes you think she is not a good person though if you think of this.

I would not broach the subject with her. If it is her she will wiggle out of it and try and make you feel bad.

If I were you I would try the camera. It might not actually be her. And you have the right to film in your own home.

Just a question...did you piss anyone off?? Or are some of your mates the joker types?? It sounds like someone wants to play with you.

Advertisement