Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seriously? My is200 is no rocketship and only returns mid 20s in mpg and id say that thing is about a ton heavier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

i don't think the NCT care what engine is in the car, provided its safe.

and perhaps it is a 2 litre, declared properly. someone could have fitted the 6 cylinder from the is200 for tax purposes. makes the car much more economically viable imo if you want a luxury car with tolerable bills.

Not much 'luxo' about a car that would take 15 seconds to hit 60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Large engined petrol Volvo from 2008, I reckon it has to be priced VERY cheaply to sell.

There are a number of other ads showing for that seller too.

It's a V8 I think, that volvo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

never said it'd be quick :P

a bit like this fella, this gen celica only came with a 1.8 engine but he's gone and fitted a 1.4 corolla engine for the "chaep tax"

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-4vvti-toyota-celica-corolla-engine/6685192

but for that someone needs to tell him a 03 celica in very good shape is worth 2k tops, so with 1.8 tax being 600 a year and 1.4 tax being 400 a year it will be at least ten years of driving before you make any saving whatsoever over the 1.8...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Bigus wrote: »
    It's a V8 I think, that volvo

Not the 3.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

My aul lad had a similar 3.2 S80, smashing car but a cash drain. Bought it new and sold it 4 years later for c.€12k IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Not the 3.2

Was just going to say it was a 4.4 V8 (no relation to the BMW engine, Yamaha I think)

The 3.2 is a straight 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I was just about to post this in the Bangernomics thread when I remembered this thread.

A bag of sand for a 00 S-Class with 80,000 miles:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-s-class-low-mileage-no/6785137

28708730.jpeg

That S-Class has an NCT till April 2014, that's 5 days. Probably failed the NCT and seller is trying to offload it.

Seller also says the car is a Singapore import . How does that work ? Do they get a rebate on tax when they export the car, because it's worth a multiple over there of what it's worth here, even back when it was imported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Red Kev wrote: »
    That S-Class has an NCT till April 2014, that's 5 days. Probably failed the NCT and seller is trying to offload it.

Seller also says the car is a Singapore import . How does that work ? Do they get a rebate on tax when they export the car, because it's worth a multiple over there of what it's worth here, even back when it was imported.

Good point, if it were me I'd trying flogging it off to the continent. Worth a fortune there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

a bit like this fella, this gen celica only came with a 1.8 engine but he's gone and fitted a 1.4 corolla engine for the "chaep tax"

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1-4vvti-toyota-celica-corolla-engine/6685192

but for that someone needs to tell him a 03 celica in very good shape is worth 2k tops, so with 1.8 tax being 600 a year and 1.4 tax being 400 a year it will be at least ten years of driving before you make any saving whatsoever over the 1.8...

1st, what a tool for doing that.
    2nd, the ad says there is AC with the car. Now with the original engine yes there would have been. Looking at that engine I can't see anything which relates to it having AC so I would wager that that car no longer has AC.
    To do all that just to save a couple of hundred Euro a year is silly IMO and spoils what is generally a good car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/750-m-sport-2006/6835320

what are peoples opinions on the above, am I right to dismiss the ad off hand, that much car for so little?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Idbatterim wrote: »

what are peoples opinions on the above, am I right to dismiss the ad off hand, that much car for so little?

Certainly wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. How much of a market do you think there is in that part of the country for that kind of motor? Not much I'd wager. Priced sensibly in my view.

People like that shouldn't be allowed near any half-interesting motor.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I'd say the complete opposite.
    Everything to prove but they lack to wallet to prove it.

It's like buying a 316i for the badge.

Personally I like the idea of an M5 with the badge removed. Pure stealth machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

porsche959 wrote: »
    Personally I like the idea of an M5 with the badge removed. Pure stealth machine.

Sure, if the quad pipes, side grills, front bumper or the noise doesn't give it away...

rocky wrote: »
    Sure, if the quad pipes, side grills, front bumper or the noise doesn't give it away...

To us petrolheads, yes. To a randomer, it's just another Bee Em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Looks pretty decent and the specs not bad. Price is about right considering the mileage.

Fairly sure it's not a sport judging by how high it's sitting off the ground, as well as the chrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Not at all, that's really what they're worth despite dealers having them for 5k more. About year ago a beautiful 2005 model, 750i sport went for 6k so I certainly wouldn't assume something was wrong with the car above.

As with any e65, due diligence is essential, with the mechatronics and o-ring being known costly issues.

Dechrome it, drop it and tint it and it will look amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

daRobot wrote: »
    About year ago a beautiful 2005 model, 750i sport went for 6k so I certainly wouldn't assume something was wrong with the car above.

Was that the one pictured outside a church? If so, it was quite a low spec 750. Still, great value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bear1 wrote: »
    1st, what a tool for doing that.
    2nd, the ad says there is AC with the car. Now with the original engine yes there would have been. Looking at that engine I can't see anything which relates to it having AC so I would wager that that car no longer has AC.
    To do all that just to save a couple of hundred Euro a year is silly IMO and spoils what is generally a good car.

Been in a RHD W140 S class (the 91 to 98 version) - 1994 - with a diesel engine. :(

I assume it was converted :( (was a taxi too btw)

Was quite common incidentally years ago for people to have petrol cars fitted with diesel engines.

Knew of 2 5 series BMWs in my local Parish with Nissan diesel engines - and have seen an E32 7 series with a 6 cylinder diesel - i assume Nissan - as well.

Wasn't bothered about the 2 5 series as they were old E12s at the time (late 80s/early 90s) and were a bit battered.

But the S class and 7 series pissed me off :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

I had the original brochure for the W140 and remember it came in an s350 Turbodiesel.
    I was in an s320 cdi and it was fast and liquid smooth the total opposite to a e 220cdi which was a gruff slow and very disappointing machine. Not all diesels are bad but conversions are likely to be as the engineering is obviously going to be $hite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

lomb wrote: »
    I had the original brochure for the W140 and remember it came in an s350 Turbodiesel.
    I was in an s320 cdi and it was fast and liquid smooth the total opposite to a e 220cdi which was a gruff slow and very disappointing machine. Not all diesels are bad but conversions are likely to be as the engineering is obviously going to be $hite.

It doesn't surprise me at all that the W140 came in diesel - but i would have thought it would be LHD only - wheras this was DEFINITELY RHD.

There is no doubt an S320 CDI in good working order would be a nice machine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

rocky wrote: »

E34

daRobot wrote: »
    Not at all, that's really what they're worth despite dealers having them for 5k more. About year ago a beautiful 2005 model, 750i sport went for 6k so I certainly wouldn't assume something was wrong with the car above.

As with any e65, due diligence is essential, with the mechatronics and o-ring being known costly issues.

Dechrome it, drop it and tint it and it will look amazing.

& take off the badge so everyone thinks its a 730 diesel. Stealth machine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

e65's had a lot of expensive teething problems in 2002-2003 so they drop like a stone in value.

2006 most of them were ironed out but the reputation stuck to an extent. that looks well, personally I hate the two tone interior and think it would be much much better with cream carpets / lower dash / door cards but its still an awful lot of car for the money , still could do with a few more options but its a 5/10 on the spec scale for one of these.

things to make sure of :
    Everything electric works, i mean everything, if the courtesy lights on the doors dont work id walk away, electrical problems with these cars are incredibly complex and expensive to put right.

no excessive smoke coming from the exhaust , voodoomelon would have more details on this but valve stem seals can be a painfully expensive job to do.

between tax, maintenance and fuel youd probably spend 4-5k a year keeping this as a weekend car , let alone a daily. Incredibly worth it but these are not cars to be run on a shoestring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Lovely car for the money, always find it funny when in ads like this for top of the range cars listed as some of the features are basics such as "Electric Windows & mirrors, Power Steering, Airbags, Alarm, Immobiliser, Alloy Wheels" I'd be bloody shocked if it didn't have these. Even the likes of Climate control I would be by default expecting on a car like this, tell me the things it does that an average car doesn't, like heated electric seats etc.

between tax, maintenance and fuel youd probably spend 4-5k a year keeping this as a weekend car , let alone a daily. Incredibly worth it but these are not cars to be run on a shoestring.

Needs to be used for the 2k tax, high insurance and maintainance. Anyone who has one as a weekend car only is mad. The luxury makes them ideal as dailys even if the cost doesnt. Another route is the vintage luxury route for weekend specials. Low tax, low insurance and lowish maintainance as simple. Something like an old 735i or 500sel.I went for a 500 sec and love it.

what age qualifies as vintage? what I cant wait for is the much newer barges coming in at very reasonable motor tax rates, the diesels anyway. But then I'm assuming they will cost much more due to the tax, remains to be seen. The below merc s 250 CDI would be E390 per year to tax!!!

From wikipedia...
    S 250 CDI (2011–2013)[edit]
    Mercedes unveiled the S 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY at the Paris Motor Show.

As the name suggests, the car is powered by a four-cylinder diesel engine which produces 150 kW (204 PS / 201 hp) and 500 Nm (369 lb-ft) of torque. Despite this relatively small engine, the S 250 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 8.2 seconds and hits a top speed of 240 km/h (149 mph). More importantly, fuel consumption is 5.7 liters per 100 kilometers (41.2 mpg US) while CO2 emissions are 149 g/km.

To get those class-leading figures, Mercedes outfitted the engine with twin-turbochargers and a start/stop system. Furthermore, engineers "extensively revised" the seven-speed automatic transmission (called the 7G-TRONIC PLUS) for improved efficiency.[34]

The Mercedes-Benz S 250 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY won the 2012 World Green Car of the Year.[35]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's truly a shame and the funny thing is I was selling a BMW some months back and one of the guys who came to look at it was the original owner of that kappa and said that he regretted selling it and tried to buy it back but the new owner wanted a fortune for it. Very disappointed to hear how it ended up.

Hi Kev1.3s! That was me. ;) But the Kappa I sold was not Coupe thought, it was my golden Kappa saloon. Believe or not I'm still trying to find but I guess it might be scrapped by now. :( Last bit of information I dug in google cache was that owner was trying to exchange for quad bike and it's last known location was Cork. Anyway, if anyone sees it let me know, car should still be on Latvian plates (FR-260).
    My Kappa Coupe is still fine, well...almost. It's in great nick but kinda in limbo mode as isn't registered in any country really for past 6 years. :(

Btw, that beemer my friend got off you is still running strong, got leather seats in and put some really nice BBS alloys on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

28983104.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/710-mercedes-e200-estate-w124-s124/6840513

Point of order, this is my own car, if that's not cool with the mods, just let me know, but I think it's okay once I declare it.

I've lost my storage space for this car and I don't believe in letting it sit on the driveway in the weather, so I have to let it go.

Will let it go for the (ridiculous) price of the annual road tax, would like to see it go to an enthusiast or someone who appreciates this model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

what age qualifies as vintage? what I cant wait for is the much newer barges coming in at very reasonable motor tax rates, the diesels anyway. But then I'm assuming they will cost much more due to the tax, remains to be seen. The below merc s 250 CDI would be E390 per year to tax!!!

From wikipedia...

As is the way with these things, the emissions bands will continually change as cars get cleaner and cleaner.
    A car that costs 390 now in tax with likely be in a band that costs 1000+ in 10 years time.
    My car has gone from 440 to 570 since buying it in 08 and no doubt soon to rise again. The differences in the band costs are much greater also as you go down the scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

pcardin wrote: »
    Hi Kev1.3s! That was me. ;) But the Kappa I sold was not Coupe thought, it was my golden Kappa saloon. Believe or not I'm still trying to find but I guess it might be scrapped by now. :( Last bit of information I dug in google cache was that owner was trying to exchange for quad bike and it's last known location was Cork. Anyway, if anyone sees it let me know, car should still be on Latvian plates (FR-260).
    My Kappa Coupe is still fine, well...almost. It's in great nick but kinda in limbo mode as isn't registered in any country really for past 6 years. :(

Btw, that beemer my friend got off you is still running strong, got leather seats in and put some really nice BBS alloys on. :)
    Yeah you have me questioning now weather it was a coupe or saloon, it was on Latvian plates! It was a champagne colour with a valour interior. Glad to hear the auld Beemer is going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

pcardin wrote: »

Got any contacts/friends up north? Then reimport it after 6 months I think?
    Theres a gtv 3.0 on adverts with redstyle interior (anyone who knows gtv's knows how rare these are) but is still on polish plates:mad:

All it'd be good for at this stage is a track car.....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

28983104.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/710-mercedes-e200-estate-w124-s124/6840513

Point of order, this is my own car, if that's not cool with the mods, just let me know, but I think it's okay once I declare it.

Well done sold already

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-645ci/6842418

what are your opinions on the above?! 4 services in ten years or an average of 21,000 miles on that motor?! assuming the service book was stamped everytime :confused:

what are your opinions on the above?! 4 services in ten years or an average of 21,000 miles on that motor?! assuming the service book was stamped everytime :confused:
    Wouldn't Really bother me as long as the car is right. Probably not madly over the bmw specified interval anyway.
    Id be more worried about whether the servicing was actually done. I wouldn't place too much confidence in those final 2 stamps given that diesel filter has been ticked on one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

NCT effectively out. Next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mickdw wrote: »
    Wouldn't Really bother me as long as the car is right. Probably not madly over the bmw specified interval anyway.
    Id be more worried about whether the servicing was actually done. I wouldn't place too much confidence in those final 2 stamps given that diesel filter has been ticked on one of them.

I'd agree with you if they kept to the specified interval but the last three seem to be close together; second service at 59k then another at 65k and the last at 66k. Doesn't seem that credible that it's been service anywhere near the recommended intervals. Not particularly high mileage although the interior might not be to everyone's taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Wouldn't touch it. This one looks like it's had the most basic of maintenance neglected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls400-mint/6802259

LS400, full history appartently, €900.

If only I didn't already have a car :(

Looks good for the price. Wonder if it's as tidy as it looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it was ticked by Chelmsford, id be confident in the work that was done. If it wasnt ticked by them then that says otherwise.

But cannot fault Chelmsfords work on BMWs. They are top notch.

listermint wrote: »
    If it was ticked by Chelmsford, id be confident in the work that was done. If it wasnt ticked by them then that says otherwise.

But cannot fault Chelmsfords work on BMWs. They are top notch.

All I know is the car doesn't have a diesel filter so someone else was messing with the service history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

All I know is the car doesn't have a diesel filter so someone else was messing with the service history.

I dont believe the petrol version has that in the book. So is that the original book ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

listermint wrote: »
    I dont believe the petrol version has that in the book. So is that the original book ?

The book has spark plugs and also DPF listed, it's a catchall.
    My e60 had the same. If you look closely you can see that the DPF box is ticked in the "no" column.

The book has spark plugs and also DPF listed, it's a catchall.
    My e60 had the same. If you look closely you can see that the DPF box is ticked in the "no" column.

Indeed, diesel filter is ticked in the no column also. My previous comments are therefore bullcrap.

It seems the service book is as badly engineered as their cars:pac: I fell for it too.. They really should just have a Yes box to tick to avoid confusion and save time.

lomb wrote: »
    It seems the service book is as badly engineered as their cars:pac: I fell for it too.. They really should just have a Yes box to tick to avoid confusion and save time.

Its pretty critical that you have a no box also. Having just a yes box provides little to stop anybody ticking extra boxes to pretend additional work was carried out.
    Stupidly though, alot of garages still only tick the yes box and do not fill in the no boxes - defeating the purpose.

Its pretty critical that you have a no box also. Having just a yes box provides little to stop anybody ticking extra boxes to pretend additional work was carried out.
    Stupidly though, alot of garages still only tick the yes box and do not fill in the no boxes - defeating the purpose.

Yes your probably right. The other thing is main dealer servicing isnt about absolute productivity but about a good retail offer at the front end and about good servicing standards and not necessarily about the cost being got down by a few seconds saved not ticking boxes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement