Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail

Options
  • 16-07-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Is it really junk mail if you get a Menu or a flyer through the door? Occasionally I deliver some handbills with a local Supermarket's offers from door to door and it amazes me the number of people with a "No Advertising" sticker on their letterbox.

How much trouble must it be to receive it when you go to hassle and ugliness of putting a sticker on your door?

Out of curiosity, would you look through a handbill of offers or does it go straight in the bin?

Do you read the advertising handbill? 20 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

junk mail is anything that doesn't have a name or address on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

BrianJD wrote: »
    Is it really junk mail if you get a Menu or a flyer through the door? Occasionally I deliver some handbills with a local Supermarket's offers from door to door and it amazes me the number of people with a "No Advertising" sticker on their letterbox.

How much trouble must it be to receive it when you go to hassle and ugliness of putting a sticker on your door?

Out of curiosity, would you look through a handbill of offers or does it go straight in the bin?

I'd read the menu, the problem occurs when the same one is delivered twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

they ran out of 'beware of rottweiler' so i stuck a 'No advertising' stick on my door, think about it OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let me put it this way - if I want information from local supermarkets or Chinese restaurants I'll look you up on the internet. I will not hang on to your handbills "just in case".

Btw, why is poll secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

FatherLen wrote: »
    junk mail is anything that doesn't have a name or address on it.

It should be subject to littering laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I'm also amazed at the number of No Junkmail signs about. They're ugly and pointless anyway. If I was delivering leaflets I'd simply ignore them.

In my own case, I like to get flyers from local restaurants etc. Saves me looking up the internet. If you don't like something you get, the recycle bin is the place for it. Or use it to light the fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

bluecode wrote: »
    I'm also amazed at the number of No Junkmail signs about. They're ugly and pointless anyway. If I was delivering leaflets I'd simply ignore them.

In my own case, I like to get flyers from local restaurants etc. Saves me looking up the internet. If you don't like something you get, the recycle bin is the place for it. Or use it to light the fire.

I have one on my letterbox - and if someone ignores it, I go out and give it back to them in no uncertain terms.
    So far they have all got the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭boomtown123

Yes - I'm easily amused in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

.... I deliver some handbills with a local Supermarket's offers from door to door and it amazes me the number of people with a "No Advertising" sticker on their letterbox.

What right do you have to cause every single person you come into contact with to have to do that every single bloody day ? I think there should be an opt-in clause. Just assume people don't want your advertising shíte until they have a 'Junk Mail - yes please' sign on their letterbox. I think these companies should be fined for breaches, the companies who use them to advertise should also be fined. That's soon knock it on the head. At least with spam gmail or hotmail filter them automatically you don't have to physically do it every day.

Also why are the results of this poll hidden ?
    Yes The results are hidden 0%
    No The results are hidden 0%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

i hate junk mail. i dont want it or need it. If i wanted to know something i would look it up online. The amount to trees that must me cut down for fliers that will just put through letterboxs and put straight into the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Morlar wrote: »
    Also why are the results of this poll hidden ?

Sorry it is my first Poll and I'm not sure why it's hidden. How do I chane it to public?

Sorry it is my first Poll and I'm not sure why it's hidden. How do I chance it to public?

PM a mod and request it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I use to deliver leaflets when i was in college and i was paid per leaflet and nothing annoyed me more than walking the length of somebodys garden and seeing this sign, though usually it just meant id stick a handful through the next door to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry it is my first Poll and I'm not sure why it's hidden. How do I chane it to public?
    Poll fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

What right do you have to cause every single person you come into contact with to have to do that every single bloody day ? I think there should be an opt-in clause. Just assume people don't want your advertising shíte until they have a 'Junk Mail - yes please' sign on their letterbox. I think these companies should be fined for breaches, the companies who use them to advertise should also be fined. That's soon knock it on the head. At least with spam gmail or hotmail filter them automatically you don't have to physically do it every day.

Why so venomous? Tbh, I manage in a supermarket and one form of our marketing is to deliver a handbill from time to time promoting SAVINGS to be made in our store. For a lot of people, that is helpful as it saves them money.

I receive junk mail as well but I really can't see what the trouble is in just throwing it in the bin. It's surely not causing that much hardship to do that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Because it's a waste of paper, ink, colour ink, the maintence kit on the printer, tree's.

You have to have breakfast to give you energy to deliver the junk mail.

It's all a massive waste of time & resources.
    I actaully have my bin pushed up behind my front door just under the letterbox.

this way I don't have to touch your junk

...I manage in a supermarket and one form of our marketing is

I have no interest in receiving your marketing shíte - never have and never will.
    I receive junk mail as well but I really can't see what the trouble is in just throwing it in the bin. It's surely not causing that much hardship to do that?

It's not a case of 'hardship', also this is not your decision to make. One idiot marketeer causes 5,000 people to have to empty their mailbox every single day and the marketeer doesn't see a problem with it ? You have no right to make that desicion on everyone elses behalf.

The presumptiveness of the thing, the principle of it is aggravating. Also, having to empty your mailbox of crap every single day IS a chore. Whether the marketeer acknowledges that or not is irrelevant.

You should only have to do it when you actually have mail.

Not everytime some marketeer decides to make a few pennies delivering you crap you never asked for.

I used to get loads of it every day non-stop - and every day I used to look at it all and think "Crikey, a schite load of trees has passed though my hands in the last few years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Trust me, I know me really well. In fact, I'm probably the leading expert in me.

I have a 'no junk mail' sign up because I *don't* want junk mail. And yes, I'm really sure that I don't want junk mail. That menu, guess what....I don't want it. I'm absolutely, positively sure of this.

I'm *not* going to try your restaurant because you give me a flyer.
    I'm *not* looking for great deals or a good charity to donate to.

Since I know that I don't want them, and I know that it takes time and money to deliver it to me, and because I know it takes some of our limited amount of resources to produce the flyers, I'm really do everyone a favour by saying 'No Junk Mail'. All it does is go straight into my trash. And then I have to pay someone to take it away.

I don't even care if you used a really cool font, or printed it on a pretty coloured sheet of paper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Thinking from the point of view of someone who delivers them leaflets. Do they only get paid, if they delivered all their leaflets?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

All of it goes striaght in the bin, I have to pay to dump this even though I never asked for it.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Trust me, I know me really well. In fact, I'm probably the leading expert in me.

I have a 'no junk mail' sign up because I *don't* want junk mail. And yes, I'm really sure that I don't want junk mail. That menu, guess what....I don't want it. I'm absolutely, positively sure of this.

I'm *not* going to try your restaurant because you give me a flyer.
    I'm *not* looking for great deals or a good charity to donate to.

Since I know that I don't want them, and I know that it takes time and money to deliver it to me, and because I know it takes some of our limited amount of resources to produce the flyers, I'm really do everyone a favour by saying 'No Junk Mail'. All it does is go straight into my trash. And then I have to pay someone to take it away.

I don't even care if you used a really cool font, or printed it on a pretty coloured sheet of paper....

I have one of those 'No JUNK MAIL's signs now too - had to, thing is even with that clearly printed it does not always work.

I also make a point of never using companies who market this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Because it's a waste of paper, ink, colour ink, the maintence kit on the printer, tree's.

You have to have breakfast to give you energy to deliver the junk mail.

It's all a massive waste of time & resources.
    I actaully have my bin pushed up behind my front door just under the letterbox.

this way I don't have to touch your junk

I deliver leaflets for a local supermarket. They employ around 70 people directly, not to mention the amount of people employed in their suppliers. They use a lot of small, local suppliers, so that is creating employment and spending in the economy. Times are tough and direct mail marketing is an affordable way of getting their special offers out to thousands of people. The leaflets are purchased from a local printer, also creating employment and putting money into the economy. I am paid per leaflet and pay tax on this, so again more money in the economy.

I really don’t understand the vehemence people are using in this thread. The leaflets can be put in the recycling bin, so I’m sure it’s not just about trees!
    I have no interest in receiving your marketing shíte - never have and never will.

It's not a case of 'hardship', also this is not your decision to make. One idiot marketeer causes 5,000 people to have to empty their mailbox every single day and the marketeer doesn't see a problem with it ? You have no right to make that desicion on everyone elses behalf.

The presumptiveness of the thing, the principle of it is aggravating. Also, having to empty your mailbox of crap every single day IS a chore. Whether the marketeer acknowledges that or not is irrelevant.

You should only have to do it when you actually have mail.

Not everytime some marketeer decides to make a few pennies delivering you crap you never asked for.

Wow, who knew picking post up from the floor or from a letter box was so much hassle. You don’t ask for Christmas cards or birthday cards either, do you reward people who send you a card with the same diatribe?

ncmc wrote: »
    I deliver leaflets ..........
    ....You don’t ask for Christmas cards or birthday cards either, do you reward people who send you a card with the same diatribe?

Unsolicited marketing shíte is not the same as birthday cards now is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

bluecode wrote: »

You can't disrespect peoples rights to unsolicited mail. If I put up a sign (which I have) I would expect you to respect my request

I really don't appreciate coming home to a shedload of glossy flyers in my hallway, firstly I can't open my door sometimes because they get wedged in there, second I have slipped on them coming in and almost broke my bollox falling over it

I also noticed that some leaflet delivery guys (who require leaflet distribution experience to get the job, so should be more professional ;)) often only leave the flyer half way in the letterbox. I can take 1 look at over 50 houses on my street and tell you in 2 seconds, who is home and who is not. All I need as a thief is a home with easy in/out access and like that, the house is robbed.

I could really do without the visual marker for thieves as well as the bowling alley surface you've made in my hallway ... but thanks all the same, at least I can get a 3-in-1 off you... they're pretty hard to find

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Unsolicited marketing shíte is not the same as birthday cards now is it ?

That’s subjective though, these leaflets obviously work or else they wouldn’t be used as a marketing tool. I know an offer on a recent leaflet drop I did sold out on the first day purely because of the leaflets. The leaflets I deliver have really good offers on them; normally half price meat, cheap beer etc. The fact is that offers like that are of interest to a lot of people.

Btw, I wouldn’t put a leaflet in a letterbox if it had a no junk mail sign, however I do think they are really unsightly. I would prefer to go to the hassle of bending down and picking up post once a day and making the long walk to the recycling bill rather than stick one on my door. But each to their own I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yes, it is junk mail.
    (And I'd lump in religious trash with that)

Even as a matter of security, if I'm on holiday for a week I don't want a pile of junk mail in my porch advertising the fact that the house is empty.

In the past I've rung up the junk mail businesses who ignored my "no junk mail" sign and complained to them.

You have to attack the problem at the root of the money trail.
    If the local indian or some supermarket gets grief from people immediately after a leaflet drop, they'll put pressure on the leaflet distributors to respect the "no junk mail" signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I love my junk mail :( ....cos no one writes me letters anymore, it gives me something to browse through at breakfast time :D

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »
    .... these leaflets obviously work or else they wouldn’t be used as a marketing tool.

So does nigerian spam otherwise they wouldnt keep doing it. You are still pissing off a large number of people with unsolicited crap into their mailbox every single day in order for you to make your money.

Advertisement