Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Juicing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Could you eat 4 carrots, a whole lemon, 2 green apples, a whole courgette, a whole cucumber, 1 kilo of spinach, 1 kilo of kale, 2 sticks of celery, a whole beetroot and bunch of coriander?? All raw ......... well I juice that and call it lunch!! ;)

That is not a human meal - juiced or not. There is a reason we can't eat that much veg in one sitting --- because we are not supposed to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jh79 wrote: »

Yes that documentary ........... try watching it yourself and forming your own opinion instead of relying on somebody else's opinion like a sheep ;)

mickman wrote: »
    That is not a human meal - juiced or not. There is a reason we can't eat that much veg in one sitting --- because we are not supposed to

That used to be a human's meal before we got lazy and corrupted our bodies ........ we're the only mammal on the planet that cook our food :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭meitina

It is true to say that a juice only plan doesn't actually "detox" the body ......... the liver detoxes the body ........ a juice only plan allows the liver to do it's job properly and for the first time in years for a lot of people! :)
    Exactly.
    The reason why I looked into juicing was my poor digestive health.
    I believe if your digestion doesn't work it doesn't really matter how good your diet is. The body will be left with no nutrients. Liver health is so important. I think people are just overconfident of liver's ability. Yes it does the detoxification. But please remember the workload you are puting on that poor liver!!! There was my lifestyle choices, my trust in medical advice,aka pills to make it all better, and more pills because if it didn't work at first it would if taken for years!?!? But I had enough And in order to liquefy my thickened bile the green juices came to rescue.And it's true, they only gave way for my own body to take care of the problem. Gave it a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Yes that documentary ........... try watching it yourself and forming your own opinion instead of relying on somebody else's opinion like a sheep ;)

Or you could tell us why the points made in the link I provided are wrong?

Does it not bother you that most of their claims do not have any evidence to support them?

Do you think it is wise to blindly follow people who buy rather than earn their qualifications?

• Advertisement

meitina wrote: »
    Exactly.
    The reason why I looked into juicing was my poor digestive health.
    I believe if your digestion doesn't work it doesn't really matter how good your diet is. The body will be left with no nutrients. Liver health is so important. I think people are just overconfident of liver's ability. Yes it does the detoxification. But please remember the workload you are puting on that poor liver!!! There was my lifestyle choices, my trust in medical advice,aka pills to make it all better, and more pills because if it didn't work at first it would if taken for years!?!? But I had enough And in order to liquefy my thickened bile the green juices came to rescue.And it's true, they only gave way for my own body to take care of the problem. Gave it a chance!

I had severe stomach problems myself, was on medication for 8 years .......... I was also slightly over-weight, drank too much when I did drink, heavy smoker and ate whatever crap I wanted whenever I wanted ........ I asked my doctor for advice and he said "to use will power to give up smoking and lose weight, cut down on the drink if you can ......... it might help with your stomach problems too but you will be on your medication for the rest of your life."

I just thought "I can't go on forever feeling like ****!!" ......... I had tried several "well-balanced" diets, going to the gym, giving up smoking cold turkey etc. and none of it worked.

One day I came across this documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and I laughed out loud saying to the wife "that's me!!" :D
    But then I watched it .......... then I looked deeper into juicing ......... then I tried it!!
    Within one week of juicing I stopped taking my medication and haven't taken/needed it since .........
    Within 10 days I'd stopped smoking .......
    Two years on I feel better than I did 20 years ago!!

I was just like the doubters on here ........ until I actually gave it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

FWIW I've seen that and I'd be inclined to agree with that review, or at least say it's pretty close. There's definitely an agenda there against conventional medicine.

Re juicing: it's a handy way of upping fruit and veg intake but weight loss is still governed by energy in/out, and it's certainly not a cure for cancer but all the extra vitamins are hardly a bad thing.

Or you could tell us why the points made in the link I provided are wrong?

Does it not bother you that most of their claims do not have any evidence to support them?

Do you think it is wise to blindly follow people who buy rather than earn their qualifications?

Are you not blindly following the opinions of those "qualified" people??? Maybe do a bit more research than Google???

To truly know about juicing and it's effects you have to actually do it ...........
    those "qualified" people have their own reasons for forming their opinions and those reasons are not based on evidence :rolleyes:

Essien wrote: »
    FWIW I've seen that and I'd be inclined to agree with that review, or at least say it's pretty close. There's definitely an agenda there against conventional medicine.

Re juicing: it's a handy way of upping fruit and veg intake but weight loss is still governed by energy in/out, and it's certainly not a cure for cancer but all the extra vitamins are hardly a bad thing.

Have you ever tried a juice only plan ......... ???

But it is completely unnecessary if you have a normal balanced diet.

Seriously, it is just a blended food how do people think this makes it any more nutritious?

• Advertisement

Have you ever tried a juice only plan ......... ???

No, I like food.

Seriously, it is just a blended food how do people think this makes it any more nutritious?

Well that just shows your knowledge of nutrition ......... it's not blended btw :rolleyes:

No, I like food.

Me too ........

Are you not blindly following the opinions of those "qualified" people??? Maybe do a bit more research than Google???

To truly know about juicing and it's effects you have to actually do it ...........
    those "qualified" people have their own reasons for forming their opinions and those reasons are not based on evidence :rolleyes:

How about providing evidence from people with genuine qualifications that juicing provides anything other than an easy way to increase veg intake?

Well that just shows your knowledge of nutrition ......... it's not blended btw :rolleyes:

Explain it to me so.

I completely agree, I'm just saying if juicing helps people get in more fruit and veg, it can't be a bad thing. Even if it is only a convenience thing.

I'm 100% on the side of a well balanced diet of real food. Juicing is absolutely not necessary.

I had severe stomach problems myself, was on medication for 8 years .......... I was also slightly over-weight, drank too much when I did drink, heavy smoker and ate whatever crap I wanted whenever I wanted ........ I asked my doctor for advice and he said "to use will power to give up smoking and lose weight, cut down on the drink if you can ......... it might help with your stomach problems too but you will be on your medication for the rest of your life."

I just thought "I can't go on forever feeling like ****!!" ......... I had tried several "well-balanced" diets, going to the gym, giving up smoking cold turkey etc. and none of it worked.

One day I came across this documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" and I laughed out loud saying to the wife "that's me!!" :D
    But then I watched it .......... then I looked deeper into juicing ......... then I tried it!!
    Within one week of juicing I stopped taking my medication and haven't taken/needed it since .........
    Within 10 days I'd stopped smoking .......
    Two years on I feel better than I did 20 years ago!!

I was just like the doubters on here ........ until I actually gave it a go :)

Yes. Very much my experience! The documentary only came to me this spring. That was after nearly 2 years of lifestyle changes. No fast food,only my own homecooked meals, I don't smoke, I drink only on christmas ;-)
    But I just couldn't get of the nexium. Was 6years on it.Doctor's said I have oesophagus not closing. Ofcourse weight loss would help.but then again I had heartburn when I was my ideal weight.
    So essentially it was the nexium not letting me of the nexium. Even if I was off it for the most of the time I would still go through 2, 3times a month of random hellish heartburn only nexium would ease.
    And then when I started the juice it was like taken away in one week. So I haven't taken no pills this year for first in years.
    Thanks to that documentary.
    It gave me hope, and delivered!!!!

I completely agree, I'm just saying if juicing helps people get in more fruit and veg, it can't be a bad thing. Even if it is only a convenience thing.

I'm 100% on the side of a well balanced diet of real food. Juicing is absolutely not necessary.

Until they get bored and it is not so convenient anymore then it's back to square one. Fad diets are never good long term.

Until they get bored and it is not so convenient anymore then it's back to square one. Fad diets are never good long term.

Agreed. It's handy every now and again but if it was at the core of your diet I don't know how you wouldn't get fed up very quickly. In that case, it's just another way around learning how to make real food and just managing your diet that way, as you should.

Juicing should never be taken up as a fad diet. Fast weight loss solution! It is just so wrong.
    Also it is so black and white if you consider that it is the only reason one should start juicing.
    Actually it would benefit anyone's diet.
    Forget about all those processed juices in shops forever. That is not juice!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Could you eat 4 carrots, a whole lemon, 2 green apples, a whole courgette, a whole cucumber, 1 kilo of spinach, 1 kilo of kale, 2 sticks of celery, a whole beetroot and bunch of coriander?? All raw ......... well I juice that and call it lunch!! ;)

No, I couldn't. Why on earth would I need that much food for lunch? And for the record I am a vegetarian and generally eat vegetables for lunch and dinner, but no need to have that much!

Define "long-term"?

Agreed. It's handy every now and again but if it was at the core of your diet I don't know how you wouldn't get fed up very quickly. In that case, it's just another way around learning how to make real food and just managing your diet that way, as you should.

Only those who juice properly know how far wide of the mark you really are .........

Explain it to me so.

Look it up for yourself .......... better still try it for yourself then, and only then, you might know what you're talking about ......... you would then have what is known as an informed opinion :rolleyes:

Lia_lia wrote: »
    No, I couldn't. Why on earth would I need that much food for lunch? And for the record I am a vegetarian and generally eat vegetables for lunch and dinner, but no need to have that much!

Why on earth would you need that much nutrition for lunch ........ well ........ I guess you don't :cool:

Look it up for yourself .......... better still try it for yourself then, and only then, you might know what you're talking about ......... you would then have what is known as an informed opinion :rolleyes:

If you want to believe that blenders have magic powers that's up to you. I don't need to research how a spinning blade works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

That used to be a human's meal before we got lazy and corrupted our bodies ........ we're the only mammal on the planet that cook our food :confused:

Cooking food increases the availability of some nutrients.

We cook our food as we are top of the food chain. If a dog knew how to cook his food then he would

You would prob have felt just as good by giving up drink / smoking and eating healthier - juicing helped you do that do fair play but you would have achieved same results eating a balanced diet

Only those who juice properly know how far wide of the mark you really are .........

Properly? It's putting things into a blender, there isn't much room for error.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Anyone else have any recommendations on good juicers please?? This thread is kinda gone off topic with debates..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

SarB89 wrote: »
    Anyone else have any recommendations on good juicers please?? This thread is kinda gone off topic with debates..

If your in a rush in mornings or any other time then philips centrifugal juicer is your man.

Advertisement