Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 24-08-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi folks, as the title suggests, I'm new to this forum and have a question or two if you seasoned pros wouldn't mind. I've picked out a rifle, CZ 455 .22, and I've paid a deposit, got the serial number, filled out the forms, got the letter from the shop, got my two land permissions and character references, basically, have everything ready to go, I think. But while reading here I've realised that a moderator for the rifle needs a liecence itself, so I'm going to tick the box on the form. I've been trying to contact my local FO to see if I need a letter to explain why I want a moderator but he must be on holiday, been told he'd be back this week, now it'll be next week. I'm going to include a letter anyway but was wondering, should I just drop the completed forms in addressed to "attention of FO .................." or should I wait to talk to him first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

You seem to be good to go with the application but personally, I would wait until he is around and have a face to face chat with your FO.

The week you might lose by just dropping it in before he is back, will be worth it just to make yourself known to the FO.

I'm only doing a sub and my FO is away but I would prefer to chat to him first.

Others may think otherwise though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A separate sheet of paper is needed for the additional information required on some sections of the FCA1. So add in a small note on this to explain the reasons why you need a suppressor.

If it's your first application then i'd wait to meet the FO yourself. On the FCA1 there is a section for the FO to fill in to say he either knows you or does not know you but got ID of you. So it's better for the first time to meet him, have ID with you (just in case) and put a face to the name.

Besides if he is not there your application will just sit until he does return. So it's better to hand it straight to him than risk it being lost or misplaced while sitting in the station.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Thanks for the advice. Met him on Tuesday and all went well, apart from lamping myself on the head with my estwing while rushing to finish a job to make our appointment!! I wrote the letter explaining why I was requesting a moderator but he basically said he thought there was no chance as the Super didn't think they were needed, just have to wait and see I suppose. He also asked me why I needed so much ammo (the lad in the shop said 500 was ok). I said I'd do some target practice as well as some rabbit hunting. Is 500 .22 a lot? Just waiting on my safety cert from the shop now, have to drop that into the FO before he'll pass on the application. Went over to pick it up this evening but the printer was on the blink, they said they'd email it to me but nothing yet, will give them a buzz in the morning. Really looking forward to a bit of shooting so expect many more queries in the future, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Thanks for the advice. Met him on Tuesday and all went well, apart from lamping myself on the head with my estwing while rushing to finish a job to make our appointment!! I wrote the letter explaining why I was requesting a moderator but he basically said he thought there was no chance as the Super didn't think they were needed, just have to wait and see I suppose. He also asked me why I needed so much ammo (the lad in the shop said 500 was ok). I said I'd do some target practice as well as some rabbit hunting. Is 500 .22 a lot? Just waiting on my safety cert from the shop now, have to drop that into the FO before he'll pass on the application. Went over to pick it up this evening but the printer was on the blink, they said they'd email it to me but nothing yet, will give them a buzz in the morning. Really looking forward to a bit of shooting so expect many more queries in the future, hopefully.

I put down 250 for my 22, no problem. Mind you no one has been round to do a "stock take".

Well that's the cert dropped in, now it's just a waiting game I suppose. Quick question bout ammo if you don't mind, been thinking about this since the FO queried my request for 500 .22
    When I buy my ammo, does it go down on a system that I've purchased said amount? Can you only purchase said amount in a certain time frame?(if I buy my limit do I have to wait a month or whatever before buying again) Do the guards check your ammo often? If I want to buy another magazine do I need to inform the FO?
    Also, will need a gun safe but not going to get one until I'm sure of getting the licence. The gun shop have a 3 gun safe for €180, but I've seen them for €165. Any tips on which ones, where and what price is good. Thanks in advance,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

Well that's the cert dropped in, now it's just a waiting game I suppose. Quick question bout ammo if you don't mind, been thinking about this since the FO queried my request for 500 .22
    When I buy my ammo, does it go down on a system that I've purchased said amount? Can you only purchase said amount in a certain time frame?(if I buy my limit do I have to wait a month or whatever before buying again) Do the guards check your ammo often? If I want to buy another magazine do I need to inform the FO?
    Also, will need a gun safe but not going to get one until I'm sure of getting the licence. The gun shop have a 3 gun safe for €180, but I've seen them for €165. Any tips on which ones, where and what price is good. Thanks in advance,

The limit is in place so you can't hold or possess over that amount. The frequency at which you buy it doesn't matter. The gardai can check the amount you have and if you're found with more, your licence will more than likely be revoked. You don't need to inform anyone about the magazine.
    In relation to the safe you must have ticked a box on the fca1 stating that you've complied with the security standards. So you've basically said you've already got a safe. You shouldn't get it without having one. More than likely the cpo will call out to inspect and then you will be caught

Also, will need a gun safe but not going to get one until I'm sure of getting the licence. ,
    As said above:
    lanber man wrote: »
    In relation to the safe you must have ticked a box on the fca1 stating that you've complied with the security standards. So you've basically said you've already got a safe. You shouldn't get it without having one. More than likely the cpo will call out to inspect and then you will be caught
    By ticking the box on the FCA1 to say you comply with the security standards needed for the gun you have made a false application.

Get one sorted asap. If you are refused you an sell it oin here and recover your money, but if you don't have one and are checked by the CPO (Crime Prevention Officer) and found not to have one he can recommend the license be refused.

Lanber man covered everything about the ammo and the mag nicely. You cannot own more than is on your license, you can have as many magazines as you like once they are not above 10 round, and you can buy ammo as often as you like once the amount you buy does not put you over the limit on your license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Just to elaborate, when you buy ammo the firearms dealer makes a note of your licence number and what you bought in a book that apparently the guards check every now and again.

Apart from an initial CPO check on the safe when i first got a firearm (and they didn't check inside the safe, just that it was secured to a wall) they've not been out again. Not saying the same would go for you.

Thanks for that folks. Will get the safe sorted so. The lad in the shop said it was enough to store the bolt separately from the rifle but the guards "may" request I get a safe. I said this to the FO and he said they'd prefer if I did get a gun safe at which point I said no worries, if I'm getting the gun then I had no problem getting a gun safe, (my better half actually insisted on that one). I did tell him that I hadn't got one yet as I hadn't got the licence and he said with the ammo, the gun and my area being fleeced they'd prefer a gun safe. I'm going to give him a shout this avo to check he got the cert so will clear it up with him then.

The lad in the shop said it was enough to store the bolt separately from the rifle but the guards "may" request I get a safe. .
    That is some God awful advice especially coming form a firearms dealer, that should know better.

A shotgun disassembled and stored in separate places is the bare minimum for a shotgun, but does not apply to any other firearm. A rifle requires a minimum of level two security as outlined int he table below.

However these are minimums. IOW the Super may require you get a higher level even with only one gun. Hence the posts above saying you get the safe., It's the absolute minimum you need.

Level
    |
    Type and number of firearms
    |
    Secure accommodation standard
    |
    1 |One non-restricted shot-gun. | The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use. The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock. |
    2 | One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. |
    3 | Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms. | Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure. The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621. |
    4 | Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place. | In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Siochana. The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities. |

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

See if your dealer will give you the safe on the grounds that you get your licence, if you don't get the licence you don't pay for the safe,
    at least you won't be out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Ps. Welcome

Gun safe being delivered tomorrow. Also, was talking to one of my land owners where I have permission to shoot and he was contacted by the Guards at the weekend. Is this a sign that I could have the licence soon or could it still be a waiting game?

Gun safe being delivered tomorrow. Also, was talking to one of my land owners where I have permission to shoot and he was contacted by the Guards at the weekend. Is this a sign that I could have the licence soon or could it still be a waiting game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Defiantly a good sign that they are moving along with the application!

Gun safe delivered! Buffalo River 5 gun safe, solid steel, anti - Jimmy door, delivered and all for €179. From sportsden in navan

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

The fact that the Guards have contacted one of your land owners means that they have started to process your application. How long this will take is very hard to say and varies from station to station and in some cases from applicant to applicant. Your application for 500 rounds is not excessive if you intend to do both vermin and target shooting but it is not uncommon for some Superintendents to reduce the quantity applied for. Check your licence when you get it. Also, check if your licence has a small s in the lower left hand corner which denotes approval for a moderator. If it is there you have approval, if not you don't . I know a lot of people who applied for moderators and were unaware that they had not been granted them . Best of luck with your application.

Got the cert in the post today and went straight to the post office and paid the €80. Also, was contacted by the F.O. the other day to say I was approved for the rifle and the moderator, so happy days. He also wants to inspect the safe, which is sound as it was bolted to the wall 24 hours after being delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 k31

Congratulations . Great to see an application processed in a timely manner. Enjoy your shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭oldtart

Got the cert in the post today and went straight to the post office and paid the €80. Also, was contacted by the F.O. the other day to say I was approved for the rifle and the moderator, so happy days. He also wants to inspect the safe, which is sound as it was bolted to the wall 24 hours after being delivered.

Good to hear a timely favourable result. Just some advice, keep the bolt somewhere other than the safe, the garda will then know for sure how security conscious you are.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Excellent result, and glad you're up and running.

Enjoy and safe shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

The garda has made some enquiries about your license standard practice in most cases, it is a waiting game after that, dont get into the habit of waiting for the post man as it will reck your head, try and forget about the license for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭fabwing

Congrats well done,now have fun and safe shooting.

Just an update, licence came this morning, with an S. Went and collected the rifle this evening. Chuffed. Out in the morning to put some rounds through her

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

Congratulations happy hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭021CRETE01

Just an update, licence came this morning, with an S. Went and collected the rifle this evening. Chuffed. Out in the morning to put some rounds through her

Congrat's , I remember all the painful stages myself.

Good Luck & Safe shooting with your 455, (great rifle, same as my own)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

I'm also a newbie and in the process of applying for my first license so this post is a great guide. I posted a similar thread a while back and have to say the response from the hunting community was excellent in giving clear and encouraging advice.

With respect to the gun safe I'm just wondering does it need to be inside the house or would a safe bolted to the wall in the garage next to the house do the job? Also, did the OP need to get a certificate to show his competence in safe use of a firearm? I have some informal training from my experience hunting as a young lad but nothing official so is this necessary to go ahead with the application would you think?

Lastly the landowner's permission. Would a typed letter signed by a landowner and attached to the license suffice for this, is there a minimum acreage required? My girlfriend's father has a small cattle farm so I was thinking of using this on my application.

I'm also a newbie and in the process of applying for my first license so this post is a great guide. I posted a similar thread a while back and have to say the response from the hunting community was excellent in giving clear and encouraging advice.

With respect to the gun safe I'm just wondering does it need to be inside the house or would a safe bolted to the wall in the garage next to the house do the job? Also, did the OP need to get a certificate to show his competence in safe use of a firearm? I have some informal training from my experience hunting as a young lad but nothing official so is this necessary to go ahead with the application would you think?

Lastly the landowner's permission. Would a typed letter signed by a landowner and attached to the license suffice for this, is there a minimum acreage required? My girlfriend's father has a small cattle farm so I was thinking of using this on my application.
    Hey, I'm not sure about the safe in your garage, and I'm not sure about the acreage (one of my permissions is only 3 acres) but the competency cert is a deffo.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

What does the competency cert entail? Is there a cost involved or if I'm buying a rifle from them would they be willing to include the competency training would you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

the cert corse is there to make shur you no how to handle you fire arm an can use it in a safe manner the cost is about 30 /50 euro depends were you go

Advertisement