Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2012: General Discussion Thread

1323334353638»

Comments

Just looking through the predictions thread at the start of the season, makes for funny reading now we are coming to the end.

Got a link handy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Got a link handy?

The second sticky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Just put 20 quid on Alonso to win the title today. I don't want him to win it, and he's the outsider.

20 quid on Vettel yields 23 euro.
    20 quid on Alonso yields 100 euro.

I hope Vettel wins it, but if Alonso does so, I'll be kept placated by winning 100 quid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

If HRT isn't bought by next week, who wants to pool together some cash and make the Boards.ie Ligier Cosworth F1 Team?

I mean, who doesn't love Ligier? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

ottostreet wrote: »
    Just put 20 quid on Alonso to win the title today. I don't want him to win it, and he's the outsider.

20 quid on Vettel yields 23 euro.
    20 quid on Alonso yields 100 euro.

I hope Vettel wins it, but if Alonso does so, I'll be kept placated by winning 100 quid!

Ha logged into paddy power and won back a free bet. €1 on Alonso so no matter what happens I'm happy:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

This year is the first time an Adrian Newey designed car helped the same driver (Sebastian Vettel) to win the drivers championship three times in a row.

His designs have helped six drivers win championships:

Sebastian Vettel: 2010, 2011, 2012.

Mika Hakkinen: 1998, 1999.

Jacques Villeneuve: 1997.

Damon Hill: 1996.

Alain Prost: 1993.

Nigel Mansell: 1992.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    This year is the first time an Adrian Newey designed car helped the same driver (Sebastian Vettel) to win the drivers championship three times in a row.

His designs have helped six drivers win championships:

Sebastian Vettel: 2010, 2011, 2012.

Mika Hakkinen: 1998, 1999.

Jacques Villeneuve: 1997.

Damon Hill: 1996.

Alain Prost: 1993.

Nigel Mansell: 1992.
    He's worth a few bob for sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

All of those cars had either advanced electronics/aerodynamics or something 'outside the box'. Not that I'm defaming Newey. He is a genius in his own right and constantly tries to push the envelope in innovation. A legend of engineering and F1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/9695835/Formula-One-2012-season-awards.html

Some good polls going on there.

Alonso with 55.41% of the vote for driver of the year, can't say I disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Not sure which thread to put this in but, Andrew Benson has just tweeted that Ferrari are trying to establish if there is enough evidence that Vettel passed a Toro Roso under yellows.

Much discussion on Twitter if he was passed a 'floppy' marker or not (christ knows what that is). It is obvious, however, that he passed under yellows as seen on the marshaling on his wheel.

What would F1 be without a little controversy?

Edit: Link to story - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20531638

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

There's quite a detailed comment on F1Fanatic from a marshall explaining why it was legal.

The marhall's comment is on Page 5 of the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Rascasse wrote: »
    Not sure which thread to put this in but, Andrew Benson has just tweeted that Ferrari are trying to establish if there is enough evidence that Vettel passed a Toro Roso under yellows.

Much discussion on Twitter if he was passed a 'floppy' marker or not (christ knows what that is). It is obvious, however, that he passed under yellows as seen on the marshaling on his wheel.

What would F1 be without a little controversy?

He very clearly overtook a (very slow) Toro Rosso before reaching the green LED signal, but if you look very closely at this video (35 seconds in), you'll see a marshal waving an old-fashioned flag. It's hard to tell whether it's yellow or green. I suspect it's green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

From the BBC website.
    BBC Sport asked the FIA:
    - If the stewards of the Brazilian Grand Prix had investigated the incident in question during the race.
    - If there was a green flag waved on lap four at the marshals' post on the inside of the track after the exit of Turn Three.
    - If the FIA was now investigating the incident.
    The FIA declined to comment.

I cant see the decision being over turned tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

RayM wrote: »
    He very clearly overtook a (very slow) Toro Rosso before reaching the green LED signal, but if you look very closely at this video (35 seconds in), you'll see a marshal waving an old-fashioned flag. It's hard to tell whether it's yellow or green. I suspect it's green.

Hard to tell for sure from that second video but the flag looks on the darker side, closer to green than yellow. Possibly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

212bl1c.jpg

apparently that photo is from the lap before but the same green flag was still waving on the next lap. will have to have a look around for some pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Its hard to tell either way looking at the videos.
    Would'nt it be a shame to have such a great race and season decided days after it ended with a protest.
    I personally hope nothing comes of it and look forward to 2013.

Seen this earlier. Some things dont change.
    A8z4Q26CQAEUT0g.png:large
    The pic with the puncture is last years car, prob no pic of puncture on sunday

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

I went to Monza this year, it was my first grand prix. Really enjoyed it, especially pit lane on the thurs night. The cars are out of this world!

• Advertisement
Advertisement