Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I bought a slow cooker last week and I'm a bit scared of it! My hubby made a stew in it at the weekend and it was delicious. I need to just get stuck in with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Romantic Rose

I entered the world of Slow Cooking yesterday. It arrived in the morning and I had a lovely piece of fresh pork waiting to go in. I really wasnt sure if it was going to come out like pulled pork but 5 hours had passed and I to check.

Let me tell you, the satisfaction I got when that pork just melted off the fork...im sold for life.

Going to throw a chicken in tomorrow!

What kind of cut did you put in? For 5 hours in total? Would love to cook something like that this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

Bought a 2kg ham today. Has anyone any ideas on how long should it cook in the slowcooker on high or low?

jay0109 wrote: »
    What sized can of condensed milk? The standard 400g or so tin?

Also, the price of Terry's chocolate orange :eek: Is there a generic alternative or maybe even put in some orange peel zest for future attempts?

Anyways, bought the ingredients so will try this tonight.

I used the Aldi chocolate orange pieces. They're pretty tasty, and come in a "sharing" bag:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Dónal wrote: »
    I used the Aldi chocolate orange pieces. They're pretty tasty, and come in a "sharing" bag:p

Not overly impressed with the outcome. Tastes a bit gooey and fairly soft despite adding in extra chocloate to avoid the outcome others experienced. Kids love it of course!
    I think I'll stick to the stews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bought a 2kg ham today. Has anyone any ideas on how long should it cook in the slowcooker on high or low?

I'd usually simmer hams... Never tried one in slow cooker.. Its the saltiness I'd be worried about (I usually blanch it first) but after that, I suppose go for it..
    6 hours ish... Chuck in a bit of cider or apple juice(or white wine) , bay leaf and what ever else you have around...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    I'd usually simmer hams... Never tried one in slow cooker.. Its the saltiness I'd be worried about (I usually blanch it first) but after that, I suppose go for it..
    6 hours ish... Chuck in a bit of cider or apple juice(or white wine) , bay leaf and what ever else you have around...

Thanks. Think I'll soak it overnight n blanch it before putting it in slow cooker n hope it's not too salty!
    Have oxtail stew in it for tonight. Getting great use out of this thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hello all! I went med and bought this Slow Cooker from Amazon this morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BCHH4MC

Very excited to try to simple recipes in about a week.

You guys got any links to some simple, first timer recipe's I could try out when it arrives? Any secret tips I should take note of?
    This is just for me so I'm hoping to get two or three meals out of each use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hello all! I went med and bought this Slow Cooker from Amazon this morning https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BCHH4MC

Very excited to try to simple recipes in about a week.

You guys got any links to some simple, first timer recipe's I could try out when it arrives? Any secret tips I should take note of?
    This is just for me so I'm hoping to get two or three meals out of each use :)

My first recipe on the Slow Cooker was The Sausage & Apple Casserole listed in the first post. It’s so easy and slow cooked sausages are manna from heaven! :)

It’s nearly a weekly favourite in our house, kids love it with crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jay0109 wrote: »
    What sized can of condensed milk? The standard 400g or so tin?

Also, the price of Terry's chocolate orange :eek:
    as above dealz or €2 shops will have them, dealz will always have some chocolate orange stuff, so if melting it is not an issue.

They have a pouch of mini ones, probably more suited to melting, €1.50 for 125g. 3 bars are 1.50 too, no weight mentioned.

• Advertisement

Not sure really but made this before with a pork loin and might be worth considering

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155731586373761&id=225525523760

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes I put ham in cold water to rinse off brine... then in pot and bring to boil point then into slow preheated cooker and on high for about hour, turn down to low for 3 or 4 hours. I turn down temp when lid starts popping with escaping steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Has anyone ever made porridge in their slow cooker before?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

A good tip before cooking is to remove the seal off the lid and place this rubber seal in a pot and pour boiling water and leave it for a few minutes so you don't get a light taste of rubber. Well worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭delboythedub

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,672 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Type porridge into the Search this Thread box and you will get some ideas. I make it all the time. I posted this "recipe" in the Recommend me a Slow Cooker thread earlier this year.

Porridge recipe. One measure of porridge e.g. pint glass, two measures of water, handful of golden raisins. Allow to soak overnight, add some milk and give it about 8 hours on low (in my oval slow cooker). Stir at about 6 hours to break up the skin that forms. Allow to cool completely and it is easy to remove to a container for the fridge. One pint makes about 5 or 6 portions which keep well for a few days. Heat a portion in the microwave, add some cold milk and a banana and it is a very quick and tasty breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes

I used to make porridge with whole oats. One cup of oats to 5 of boiling water.... leave in slow cooker for few hours. This would make enough for a week.... reheat portion then top with some molasses brown sugar and Greek yogurt. It was hard to find the whole oats also called groats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

rawn wrote: »
    I put in a small tin but I'm going to add more than that next time as i found mine a little soft, so hopefully this will help! I'm going to omit the water too and try to get it silky by mixing it til my arm falls off :D i got the Terry's in Dealz! I have a Ferrero Rocher one to try next, the price of those was steeper but hopefully it will pay off :D once you have the butter, condensed milk and chocolate you can add pretty much anything else

Cheers for the recipe, based on your advice I left out the water, and used a bit of extra chocolate. Turned out really well, though I think I left it in a bit long without stirring as it started to dry out on top! Another good stirring, and it was all shiny again.

400g tin of condensed milk
    450g Dr oetker chocolate
    Big tablespoon of butter
    1/2 chocolate orange (somebody at the other half before I made the fudge!)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I might as well post the recipe that I have been using for porridge made in the slow cooker since I asked about it here a few weeks ago.

Ingredients (1 serving):
    40g pinhead oats (I use Odlums)
    150 ml milk
    150 ml water
    1 pinch of salt

Method:
    Get a glass bowl (eg. Pyrex) that can fit into the slow-cooker but can still allow the lid of the slow-cooker to fit on.
    Add 40g of pinhead oats, 150 ml of milk, 150 ml of water and a pinch of salt to the bowl and stir.
    Put glass bowl in slow-cooker. Add enough cold water to come halfway up the side of the bowl.
    Put on lid and switch on 'low'.
    Leave for ~8 hours.

It will need a good stir before eating. Add whatever toppings you like. I had raisins and chopped apple this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Does anyone have a good idea for a nice festive last minute slow cooker dessert? Ideally for 6 people, I need it as a treat on Stephen's day and preferably not fudge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

LirW wrote: »
    Does anyone have a good idea for a nice festive last minute slow cooker dessert? Ideally for 6 people, I need it as a treat on Stephen's day and preferably not fudge.

Slow Cooker Marble Cake!!

Marble cake!!

8oz caster sugar
    8oz softened butter
    7oz self raising flour
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon of baking powder
    2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
    Half a teaspoon of icing sugar

Preheat slow cooker (high)
    In a bowl mix sugar, self raising flour, then add in 2 eggs and butter, mix then add in the other egg, mix again then add baking powder.

Pour the other half of the mixture into a cake case in the slow cooker.

Place the of mixture into a seperate bowl and add cocoa powder and icing sugar into it, mix gently.

Pour the chocolate mixture into the rest and gently swirl it around.

Cook on high for 1hr 45mins (tea towel under lid.)

Mint Aero Chocolate Cake
    8oz caster sugar, 8oz softened butter, 4 eggs, 7oz self raising flour, 1oz cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of vanilla essence. Place into a large paper cake case and cook on high for 1hour 40mins (timings may vary depending on your slow cooker) I tend to turn the pot half way through to prevent the sides from burning and place a tea towel underneath the lid!! Add crushed up aero pieces or aero bubbles once the mixture is in the case (freeze them first) add extra half way through cooking!!

Raspberry & peach sponge cake!!

In a bowl mix up 6oz caster sugar, 6oz softened butter, 3 eggs, 6oz self raising flour, 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence. Mix well then drop in some raspberries & some chopped up peach and gently mix. Pour into a large paper cake case in the slow cooker and cook on high for 1hour 40mins (tea towel underneath lid) xx

Coffee and walnut cake.

CoffeeCake...

1 teaspoon coffee
    1 tablespoon boiling water
    175g butter, softened
    3/4 cup caster sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 cups plain flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    3 tablespoons milk

Dissolve coffee in the boiling water. Cream butter, sugar, coffee mixture and vanilla essence until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour and baking powder together and fold a little at a time into the creamed mixture. Stir in milk. Pour into a lined warm sc. I used baking paper that was scrunched up and slightly wet. I also sprayed the baking paper with coconut oil. I cooked it on high for one hour, then low for about 30 minutes. I think next time I will cook on high for about 30 minutes and an hour or so on low. My sc (6L) runs pretty hot.

Once cooled, add the icing...

2 cups icing sugar
    1/4 teaspoon butter, softened (don't melt)
    2 tablespoons water (depending on the texture of the icing that you like)
    2 teaspoons coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoons of hot water. Mix into icing mixture.

Crush some walnuts on top to decorate.

Sit back with a cuppa coffee and slice of cake and enjoy!!!!

Christmas Cake

1 kilo of mixed dried fruit. 750mls of Bailey's (or I use a cheaper version). 16 ounces self raising flour. Soak fruit in liquid for 16-24 hours. Mix in flour. I use a 7 inch loose bottom metal cake tin. Line it with cling film and lightly grease. Pop in slow cooker with water half way up tin, put tea towel under the lid and leave for 8 hours on low.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Slow-Cooker Red Wine Beef Stew

Ingredients
    2 c. beef stock
    3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. Dijon mustard
    1 lb. carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, halved if large
    1 large red onion, cut into wedges
    2 large celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    6 sprigs thyme
    1 tbsp. canola oil
    3 lb. pot roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 c. tomato paste
    1 c. dry red wine
    1 tbsp. unsalted butter

Directions
    Whisk together stock, flour, and mustard in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme; stir to combine.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to slow cooker. Add tomato paste to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and cook, scraping up browned bits, 30 seconds; add to slow cooker.
    Cover and cook until beef is tender, on low heat 7 to 8 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours.
    Discard thyme. Remove beef and shred with 2 forks; return to cooker. Stir in butter.

Put round roast in slow cooker for 8 hours on low today. I seared it first and put it on a bed of onions and veg. Came out terribly tough! Fork stuck in it. Any ideas what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Put round roast in slow cooker for 8 hours on low today. I seared it first and put it on a bed of onions and veg. Came out terribly tough! Fork stuck in it. Any ideas what went wrong?

Did you not add any liquid? If not that's your problem solved.

Did you not add any liquid? If not that's your problem solved.

I did. Around 100ml. Plenty of liquid when it finished cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Maybe it was just the meat itself.
    In general pot roasts can turn out quite tough in the slow cooker.
    I prefer using housekeepers cut for it but honestly, while it's alright, it's not particularly something I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Got a bigger slow cooker over Xmas as we had started using the other one more and more so will use it in conjunction with new one at times

So this weekend we were gonna try a bourbon rib recipe we had spotted with some potatoes and salad
    The recipe says beef short ribs ? Not sure how easy these are to get
    A lot of other Rib recipes are for pork ribs .
    Is there a particular type I need to ask butcher for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

km79 wrote: »
    Got a bigger slow cooker over Xmas as we had started using the other one more and more so will use it in conjunction with new one at times

So this weekend we were gonna try a bourbon rib recipe we had spotted with some potatoes and salad
    The recipe says beef short ribs ? Not sure how easy these are to get
    A lot of other Rib recipes are for pork ribs .
    Is there a particular type I need to ask butcher for ?

You’ll probably have to order them from your butcher and he may need some notice. Alternatively, if you’re near North Dublin, O’Mahony Meats in Coolock Industrial Estate have had them in stock the last couple of times I’ve been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

You’ll probably have to order them from your butcher and he may need some notice. Alternatively, if you’re near North Dublin, O’Mahony Meats in Coolock Industrial Estate have had them in stock the last couple of times I’ve been there.

Thanks for that
    Can't say I've ever had them so may not even like them
    Maybe I'll go with pork ribs so !
    Is it baby back ribs I ask for ? Want meat not just bone as it will be a dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I did. Around 100ml. Plenty of liquid when it finished cooking

best mistake I ever made with the slow cooker was when I was making a beef and Guinness stew with shin beef and left it on low for 15 hours instead of 8. The meat just dissolved and the gravy was very rich. Worcester sauce added to the Guinness, with a bit of the grated rind of an orange, thinly sliced carrots, onions and mushrooms.

I followed the usual tip of putting on cooker to high for 20 minutes, and having all the ingredients at the same temperature.

On the other hand, I did a stew with rib steak on high for 6 to 8 hours and while the meat was not tough it was a bit chewy

Advertisement