Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was skimming through a cookbook I got from the NRH, recipes given by patients with brain and spinal injuries and a few staff too, and found a slow cooked stew with Guinness. It's next on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyone notice things that do or don't work in the slow cooker?
    I've sometimes had a problem cooking spuds in a stew, they just stay hard....
    Recently threw some unsealed navy beans into the slow cooker with a pork shank, (the packet said no need to soak so I didn't), and came out perfectly, cooked in meat juices...

Potatoes always cook through for me in my slow cooker but I have to quarter them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

beertons wrote: »
    Was skimming through a cookbook I got from the NRH, recipes given by patients with brain and spinal injuries and a few staff too, and found a slow cooked stew with Guinness. It's next on my list.

Post the recipe if it works out! It's definitely the right weather for a good stodgy stew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

blinding wrote:
    I think you are better off to cook the potatoes separately . The stews are nicer that way .

Well we'll have to agree to disagree... Stew thickened with spuds... Yum...
    Started putting barly in lately as well..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

So I finally made beef stew in the slow cooker, turned out incredible and perfect winter warming food:

1kg round steak pieces
    2 large onions
    2 carrots
    3 cloves of garlic
    Handful of thyme
    Handful of parsley
    3 bay leaves
    1 can of Guinness
    140g tomato pureé (one of the little tins)
    Pinch of paprika
    Pinch of hot chili powder
    ~100mL water

Nice and simple:
    Fry the beef in batches quickly just to brown the edges.
    While you're frying, chop up the onions, garlic, and carrots
    Once you have al the beef browned, throw the lot, along wit hthe chopped veg and herbs into the pot and fry away for about 10 mins.
    Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high (not low) for about 6 - 7 hours.

Delicious rich thick stew awaits!
    rawn wrote: »
    Post the recipe if it works out! It's definitely the right weather for a good stodgy stew :D

Just sayin'

• Advertisement

Just sayin'

Haha, wake up Rawn! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyone notice things that do or don't work in the slow cooker?

It'd be onions for me. They don't melt (not sure if that's the right term) into the surrounding sauce like they would when using a normal pot & hob combination. Say for example when making a stew/bolognese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

It'd be onions for me. They don't melt (not sure if that's the right term) into the surrounding sauce like they would when using a normal pot & hob combination. Say for example when making a stew/bolognese.

That's funny, I was just about to post this beef brisket and onions recipe.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-brisket-and-onions-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45437

It's wonderful for this time of year. I didn't notice the onions being problematic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

beans wrote: »
    That's funny, I was just about to post this beef brisket and onions recipe.

http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-slow-cooker-brisket-and-onions-recipes-from-the-kitchn-45437

It's wonderful for this time of year. I didn't notice the onions being problematic!

Maybe it's just me, or else my slow cooker!

Do you find it easy/hard to source brisket?
    I've had a look before in the supermarket and also asked in some local butchers (Galway city) but to no avail.

I'm in London, any good butcher over here that I've asked in has had multiple cuts to choose from. I'd imagine a supermarket counter could be less likely to have some... but I find it unusual that a butcher won't have any and all cuts of beef!

Might have to give them a shout beforehand to reserve it?

• Advertisement

That was a definite gripe of mine, though now I cook everything on high for 6 hrs minimum if there's onions and they'll typically dissolve then.

I've only ever used caramelised onions now that I think of it, which probably affects it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

We usually fry onions - enough to take the "harsh" out of them - before adding them to the slow cooker, though that breaks the "chuck it all in and wait" philosophy.

OTOH, slow cookers make great soft onions for things like onion soup and onion gravy (and of course as normal fried onions): slice up loads of onions, add a touch of oil and some salt, and slow cook until they're done. They keep for at least a few days in the fridge. Never tried freezing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

So I finally made beef stew in the slow cooker, turned out incredible and perfect winter warming food:

1kg round steak pieces
    2 large onions
    2 carrots
    3 cloves of garlic
    Handful of thyme
    Handful of parsley
    3 bay leaves
    1 can of Guinness
    140g tomato pureone of the little tins)
    Pinch of paprika
    Pinch of hot chili powder
    ~100mL water

Nice and simple:
    Fry the beef in batches quickly just to brown the edges.
    While you're frying, chop up the onions, garlic, and carrots
    Once you have al the beef browned, throw the lot, along wit hthe chopped veg and herbs into the pot and fry away for about 10 mins.
    Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high (not low) for about 6 - 7 hours.

Delicious rich thick stew awaits!

Going to try this today :) Might leave out the water though as seems a bit too much liquid? i guess can add later if needed.

I made fudge in the slow cooker this week -YUM. Now tbh it doesn't *really* require a slow cooker and can easily be done in a pot I assume, but I always burn chocolate that way so gave this a try!

Can of condensed milk
    400g milk chocolate
    1 whole Terry's chocolate orange
    Large spoonful of butter
    A little hot water (around 100ml)

All added to slow cooker, uncovered, on high until melted and silky smooth (around 45 mins). Poured into lined tray and refrigerated overnight. Absolutely divine, can't wait to try different flavours!

I tried this yesterday - tastes amazing! My only complaint is that it hasn't set as I'd expect fudge to, but on the plus side I made rice crispie squares with it instead!

DÃ&#179 wrote: »
    I tried this yesterday - tastes amazing! My only complaint is that it hasn't set as I'd expect fudge to, but on the plus side I made rice crispie squares with it instead!

Maybe it was too much water? Mine was also softer than I'd expected but it was still quite firm. I'm going to try a ferrero rocher one next :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

I've an oxtail ragu in the slow cooker now, planning on having it for dinner tomorrow so there should be plenty of time for it to cool, fat to solidify and be scraped off and the flavours to develop.

I've never cooked oxtail before so fingers crossed this works.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Going to try this today :) Might leave out the water though as seems a bit too much liquid? i guess can add later if needed.

Giving it a go myself

I have a little jar of passata which I will subistute the puree for.

Will let it cook away all day tomorrow, it'll be a nice hearty treat to come home from work to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ahayes84 wrote: »
    I've an oxtail ragu in the slow cooker now, planning on having it for dinner tomorrow so there should be plenty of time for it to cool, fat to solidify and be scraped off and the flavours to develop.

If you can make a good beef stew/casserole, you can make an awesome oxtail stew/casserole.
    Should be great.

jaffa20 wrote: »

Fire away, though cooking it for that long on high tends to dry things out too much IMO. That said I cook mine over night so can't top up if it's drying out.

But work away and see how it works.
    Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Giving it a go myself

I have a little jar of passata which I will subistute the puree for.

Will let it cook away all day tomorrow, it'll be a nice hearty treat to come home from work to.

Hmmm be careful here, the passata might make it too watery...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fire away, though cooking it for that long on high tends to dry things out too much IMO. That said I cook mine over night so can't top up if it's drying out.

But work away and see how it works.

Hmmm be careful here, the passata might make it too watery...

It was A-1.

9K5WXN.jpg

ECcuh4.jpg

Was a big hit. Fed me, parent in laws, a great uncle, 3 x kids.

Still some left over in the slow cooker. :D

If you can make a good beef stew/casserole, you can make an awesome oxtail stew/casserole.
    Should be great.

It was gorgeous, really good flavour off the meat. I served it with gnocchi and it was perfect for a miserable wintery evening

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    It was A-1.

9K5WXN.jpg

ECcuh4.jpg

Was a big hit. Fed me, parent in laws, a great uncle, 3 x kids.

Still some left over in the slow cooker. :D

Delighted you liked it! Even better... tomorrow you get day 2 stew! The best type ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,070 ✭✭✭✭beertons

ahayes84 wrote: »

Recipe please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Going to try campfire stew tonight in mine have any of you cooked this? Its a slimming world recipe- My ham joint is very small so not sure how it will work out but will try! http://pinchofnom.com/recipes/syn-free-campfire-stew/

beertons wrote: »
    Recipe please!

I didn't follow a recipe so amounts given are indicators. However I think it's hard to go wrong as it's very forgiving

About 8 pieces of oxtail, ranging in size from very big to tiny
    1 Carrot, 1 stick celery, 1 onion all diced.
    Just under half a packet of Bacon bits chopped up small
    Tin of tomatoes
    About half a tube of Tomato paste
    Garlic, dried basil and oregano, salt and pepper
    Dash of balsamic vinegar
    About 300ml of red wine

I browned the oxtail in some oil and put in slow cooker, then added the diced garlic, onion, celery and carrot and cooked until onion was translucent and added this to slow cooker, I then browned the bacon bits and added them to the slow cooker. deglazed the pan with the red wine and placed juice in slow cooker. Added the other ingredients except for the balsamic and cooked on low overnight.

In the morning I spooned off the fat(there is loads) fished out the bones and gave a stir. I tasted it and then added the balsamic as well as some salt and pepper. I just reheated it in the evening.

Note. I deliberately didn't add in beef stock as I felt the bones in the cop tail would give me more than enough flavour. I think if I had added beef stick too it would have been over powering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I entered the world of Slow Cooking yesterday. It arrived in the morning and I had a lovely piece of fresh pork waiting to go in. I really wasnt sure if it was going to come out like pulled pork but 5 hours had passed and I to check.

Let me tell you, the satisfaction I got when that pork just melted off the fork...im sold for life.

Going to throw a chicken in tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I made fudge in the slow cooker this week -YUM. Now tbh it doesn't *really* require a slow cooker and can easily be done in a pot I assume, but I always burn chocolate that way so gave this a try!

Can of condensed milk
    400g milk chocolate
    1 whole Terry's chocolate orange
    Large spoonful of butter
    A little hot water (around 100ml)

All added to slow cooker, uncovered, on high until melted and silky smooth (around 45 mins). Poured into lined tray and refrigerated overnight. Absolutely divine, can't wait to try different flavours!

What sized can of condensed milk? The standard 400g or so tin?

Also, the price of Terry's chocolate orange :eek: Is there a generic alternative or maybe even put in some orange peel zest for future attempts?

Anyways, bought the ingredients so will try this tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

jay0109 wrote: »

Also, the price of Terry's chocolate orange :eek: Is there a generic alternative or maybe even put in some orange peel zest for future attempts?

Anyways, bought the ingredients so will try this tonight.

Aldi sell condensed milk, think it's about 1.29
    I've seen Terry's chocolate orange in Dealz, 2 euro Shops and either lidl or Aldi had them in last week, can't recall which.
    Dealz also sell Toblerone, handy for cheesecake.

• Advertisement

jay0109 wrote:

I put in a small tin but I'm going to add more than that next time as i found mine a little soft, so hopefully this will help! I'm going to omit the water too and try to get it silky by mixing it til my arm falls off :D i got the Terry's in Dealz! I have a Ferrero Rocher one to try next, the price of those was steeper but hopefully it will pay off :D once you have the butter, condensed milk and chocolate you can add pretty much anything else

Advertisement