Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun licence query

Options
  • 03-12-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Whats the story lads,
    I'm joining Court Lough Gun Club in the new year and had a brief look at the Firearms Application form i noticed that it outlines that you must have a suitable gun safe etc, but there is also a section asking if you are keeping the gun in an other location.
    Court Lough offers a storage facility in the club for your gun.
    So i was wondering would I still be granted a license if I keep the gun in the club and not buy a safe or is it mandatory to have a gun safe anyway, regardless of where you keep the gun?
    Any information will be appreciated.
    Regards Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Jack0106

Whats the story lads,
    I'm joining Court Lough Gun Club in the new year and had a brief look at the Firearms Application form i noticed that it outlines that you must have a suitable gun safe etc, but there is also a section asking if you are keeping the gun in an other location.
    Court Lough offers a storage facility in the club for your gun.
    So i was wondering would I still be granted a license if I keep the gun in the club and not buy a safe or is it mandatory to have a gun safe anyway, regardless of where you keep the gun?
    Any information will be appreciated.
    Regards Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

I think but am not sure that it would be looked upon favorably to have the safe as well. Given that you intend to use it for sporting use and may be traveling to competitions elsewhere or taking it home for cleaning etc. On these occasions you would need secure storage. But ask in the shooting forum, a lot of helpful people there. Also planning on joining so see you there. Good to know I won't be the only new member!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭clivej

You don't say what your gun is.

No safe required for 1 shotgun in the home. But it must be dissembled and the parts stored in different places.

1 rifle or 1 handgun, up to 3 in total, all require a to be safe installed in your home. More than 3 firearms require more security.
    These are the minimum requirements, your Super may want you to do more.

Ill be getting a .22 rimfire and thanks for the reply

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Jack0106, I've asked my co-moderators to move this for you to the Shooting forum (in the Sports category). Unfortunately, I cannot do it for you at the moment.

However, you will be far better off having a thread over there discussing this issue because they are very well versed on the requirements under gun licensing legislation.

• Advertisement

daragh8008 wrote: »
    I think but am not sure that it would be looked upon favorably to have the safe as well. Given that you intend to use it for sporting use and may be traveling to competitions elsewhere or taking it home for cleaning etc. On these occasions you would need secure storage. But ask in the shooting forum, a lot of helpful people there. Also planning on joining so see you there. Good to know I won't be the only new member!

Thanks for the reply and haha yeah a but daunting going up when you're new.
    I was just curious if it would work that way, fairly sure i wont be allowed bring a gun into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Jack0106 wrote: »
    So i was wondering would I still be granted a license if I keep the gun in the club
    Short answer, yes (or at least, it won't be an automatic no because of the storage).

Longer answer, you're required to provide secure storage for the firearm. That secure storage does not have to be in your own house. Quite a few people have licences for firearms stored in clubs. It's not the norm though, because very few clubs can provide that kind of storage (the storage in the club still has to meet the minimum requirements in the SI and satisfy your super). You'll also need a letter from the club confirming the firearm is stored there, it gets handed in with the FCA1. And ultimately, the call is up to your local Super, but then, so's everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Courtlough have a facility to keep your gun there
    Don't know how much though

Brilliant, thanks alot Sparks, i might get a safe anyway, i figures i could buy a second hand one, just to cover things

Brilliant, thanks alot Sparks, i might get a safe anyway, i figures i could buy a second hand one, just to cover things

Remember to get a deep gun safe.
    That way you'll have no trouble getting your rifle with scope to fit inside.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

clivej wrote: »

And get a wide one too, to fit the other guns you'll inevitably buy. :D

clivej wrote: »

Yeah, the advertising tends to say things like "4-gun safe" but it actually means four guns if you melted them down and poured them into the safe, rather than four rifles with scopes on :D

IRLConor wrote: »
    And get a wide one too, to fit the other guns you'll inevitably buy. :D

We all said the one gun would be enough.
    Then we all said the second firearm would be enough.
    Then we all told ourselves well one more won't do any harm.
    Then we said blar, blar blar :D:D:D

Speak for yourself Clive, I made sure to buy a small one for the third one so it'd fit in the safe :D

Threads merged...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I intend joining courtlough in the new year too. I also got a .22 a few months ago and have to say the advice about the safe is pretty sound. Just bought a shotgun so I'm glad I got a bigish safe

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

If you have the storage location in the gun club it can become a pain, especially if you travel to comps as the firearm will have to be returned at night (cannot stay in your home over night) this can be a problem depending on club closing time and distance between home and club! Get a gun safe (any size to start) and have storage location at home, much more convenient, !!!!

I intend joining courtlough in the new year too. I also got a .22 a few months ago and have to say the advice about the safe is pretty sound. Just bought a shotgun so I'm glad I got a bigish safe

Where did you get your .22? I was thinking of importing from the UK through a dealer omce i get my license

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Where did you get your .22? I was thinking of importing from the UK through a dealer omce i get my license

You cant get a licence until you have a firearm bought, So you would have to find the 22 you want, Put a deposit on it, Apply for a licence if and when its granted you can import it. Assuming its not being bought in the republic.

What kind of 22 are you looking for that you cant find here?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

I was out in range river mountain a few weeks ago. He seemed to have a fine selection of rifles for sale there and was very helpful along with a couple of smallish safes. (prices seemed a little high for some of the second hand stuff but I'm no expert) As for not being allowed bring a rifle into the house. I was faced with this same concern. But persistent reassurance was helpful in alleviating fears. Also brought her shooting ... that seemed to help a lot too. The impression I get is that sometimes the unfamiliar equate a .22lr target rifle to an AK47 but when they have a go themselves it is not as scary to keep at home anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I got mine in Range River Mountain in Tallaght. As stated above, they've a good selection and are very helpful. Did my safety cert with them aswell and was quiet happy. Overall I was and am happy to deal with them. The only thing bad about the place is the amount of outdoor gear they have that I keep finding myself needing!!

There's also a guy in Harbour House (on the off chance that sounds dodgy, he is a RFD) who I bought the shotgun from. Nice guy, sound to deal with and he had a nice selection of 22lr aswell as some shotguns.
    I'm only new in the games but feel free to ask any questions

cw67irl wrote: »
    You cant get a licence until you have a firearm bought, So you would have to find the 22 you want, Put a deposit on it, Apply for a licence if and when its granted you can import it. Assuming its not being bought in the republic.

What kind of 22 are you looking for that you cant find here?

Its not that I cant find it, ive been browsing the web and when it comes to irish gun dealers websites (cant really visit them in person at the moment, time as been sparce) there where not many to choose from.
    The odd irish gun shop site that i found had all the bigger calibers such as 308s .22-250 etc and only one (used) .22 rimfire which they where charging astronomical prices.
    In England everybody and their granny has a .22. I just felt after seeing the price difference and everything it might be a good idea.
    However after reading some of the posts on this I'll probably just go up to tallght or sonething, sure its only 10 minutes away from me

By the way fellas, thanks for all the information and input, its all very much appreciated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

More and more Irish dealers are starting to use websites, but even the best ones only have a small number of their actual stock on the website.

The last couple of guns i've bought were not on their website and i went to them to look at something else. You really cannot beat going to a few shops. I always enjoy taking a day and making out a "route" to cover as many dealers as possible. Then start ringing around dealers that are further away than you like to travel. As them for specific makes/models and see what they have in that or a similar caliber.

It might surprise you what you go for. IOW it may not be what you initially wanted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

It's definitely worth making a few calls maybe take a day to visit a few dealers when you have a few leads on what you want. I would wager there isn't a dealer in the country that doesn't have a few 22s in stock out never know what most lads have in stock. If you are in Dublin you aren't too far from a good few dealers. Gunshop.ie and Harbour Guns in Harbour House Co Kildare. Hilltop in Co Wicklow, Top Gun Sports in Drogheda. Ardee Sports in Ardee, Fingal Sports in Fingal.

All are within an hours drive of you on every direction and il bet there's another 3/4 I can't remember!

cw67irl wrote: »
    It's definitely worth making a few calls maybe take a day to visit a few dealers when you have a few leads on what you want. I would wager there isn't a dealer in the country that doesn't have a few 22s in stock out never know what most lads have in stock. If you are in Dublin you aren't too far from a good few dealers. Gunshop.ie and Harbour Guns in Harbour House Co Kildare. Hilltop in Co Wicklow, Top Gun Sports in Drogheda. Ardee Sports in Ardee, Fingal Sports in Fingal.

All are within an hours drive of you on every direction and il bet there's another 3/4 I can't remember!

Okay thanks a lot man, ill look into it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Here is a list of firearms dealer, their contact details and if they have it their website.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Baker.22

Do not miss Hilltop in Newtown mount Kennedy, they must have 30 different .22lr rifles in stock, new and secondhand

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ProfanityURL

Are you likely to receive visits from the Gardai to check on the gun safe, apart from the initial visit during the application process. For example if I left my rifle at my old home address in my dad's safe for a few weeks and for some reason a garda came out to inspect my own safe at my address and found the firearm was not inside would that be a problem?

I put in an application recently and didn't put down any alternative address on the license application but now I'm wishing I did put down my home address. Can I add an address once the license comes through? I don't want to complicate things now as it will only slow down the process.

• Advertisement

For example if I left my rifle at my old home address in my dad's safe for a few weeks and for some reason a garda came out to inspect my own safe at my address and found the firearm was not inside would that be a problem?
    Could be, since you listed the safe at your address. Depends on whether your local superintendent was okay with it or not, and nobody but your local super could answer that one.
    I wouldn't do it myself though.

There was a bit of a push a few years back to inspect safes after licences had been granted, I had a phone call with my FO about it at the time, but I've not heard of one since. Which doesn't mean it doesn't happen, you understand, I'm not the oracle at Delphi :D

Advertisement