Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Spring Statement

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    You're complaining of a few typos on a website rather than addressing their taxation plans? Getting a tad desperate. :rolleyes:

It should be pointed out of course that SF's taxation are quite timid in comparison with other countries.....like Sweden where they have a top rate of income tax of 56% for all those earning more than €66,400. :eek:

I would like to think a group of people we were going to have running the country for 5 years would have the minimal amount of professionalism required to proofread (see spellcheck) policy declarations before they published them.

Also talking about headline tax rates elsewhere is pointless without considering the level of public services they fund. In Ireland a top rate tax earner will pay for almost all public services out of after tax income. Using Sweden as an example is also futile because capital income to the wealthy has soared and replaced income lost to the extremely high marginal tax rate, from The Economist:

"The inheritance tax was eliminated in 2005, the wealth tax in 2007 and taxes on residential property in 2008. Thanks, in part, to these tax changes, capital income has soared, particularly at the top of Sweden’s income scale. "

Doesn't sound very much like what Sinn Fein are attempting to propose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

BOHtox wrote: »
    48+USC (8%) + PRSI (4%) is an effective rate of 60%.

And in fairness we had a top rate of 52% for people earning 32,800 until last year's budget

It would still pale in comparison to many European countries who impose excessive taxes on their people. In Ireland the people want to have Nordic levels of public services but without Nordic levels of taxation.
    I would like to think a group of people we were going to have running the country for 5 years would have the minimal amount of professionalism required to proofread (see spellcheck) policy declarations before they published them.

Wipe your eyes FFS. I've seen worse in reports from the Dept. of Finance. Professionalism?! You mean the public school teachers we have running the country? :rolleyes:
    Also talking about headline tax rates elsewhere is pointless without considering the level of public services they fund. In Ireland a top rate tax earner will pay for almost all public services out of after tax income. Using Sweden as an example is also futile because capital income to the wealthy has soared and replaced income lost to the extremely high marginal tax rate, from The Economist:

"The inheritance tax was eliminated in 2005, the wealth tax in 2007 and taxes on residential property in 2008. Thanks, in part, to these tax changes, capital income has soared, particularly at the top of Sweden’s income scale. "

Doesn't sound very much like what Sinn Fein are attempting to propose.

Ah yes, The Economist, the rag that endorsed Thatcher and has been pushing for massive tax cuts in nearly every country of the OECD. Carry on.

Wipe your eyes FFS. I've seen worse in reports from the Dept. of Finance. Professionalism?! You mean the public school teachers we have running the country? :rolleyes:

If you can link a department of finance report from any Irish Government in the last 50 years that has three complete misspellings and a phrase that, even when spelled correctly, makes little to no sense I will happily concede this point.

Also I would probably rather a public school teacher at the helm than a closet terrorist, but that's just me I suppose.

Ah yes, The Economist, the rag that endorsed Thatcher and has been pushing for massive tax cuts in nearly every country of the OECD. Carry on.

You could have half a point here except what I quoted to you was a statement of empirical facts, not an opinion piece. Two is two no matter who claims it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

If you can link a department of finance report from any Irish Government in the last 50 years that has three complete misspellings and a phrase that, even when spelled correctly, makes little to no sense I will happily concede this point.

Unlike you I don't actually care about such trivialities. It sounds like just another pathetic attempt to bash SF, a rather desperate one at that.
    You could have half a point here except what I quoted to you was a statement of empirical facts, not an opinion piece. Two is two no matter who claims it to be so.

No, it wasn't a fact, it was taking two unrelated events (a cut in taxes and increase in capital income) and inferring a link between them. The Economist is notorious for this.

Your edit:
    Also I would probably rather a public school teacher at the helm than a closet terrorist, but that's just me I suppose.

Good thing Ireland has form in not electing terrorists to lead our country then.......oh wait!

Unlike you I don't actually care about such trivialities. It sounds like just another pathetic attempt to bash SF, a rather desperate one at that.

No, it wasn't a fact, it was taking two unrelated events (a cut in taxes and increase in capital income) and inferring a link between them. The Economist is notorious for this.

So you distinctly remember noticing prolific misspellings in more than one department of finance report despite considering such things "trivialities" you don't care about. I would wager it has more to do with the fact you can't link a single example so are running a mile from your earlier incorrect statement.

If you think removing inheritance tax and a value based tax on residential property doesn't increase net capital income I don't think there's much point arguing with you because it's basic logic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Godge wrote: »
    He didn't say the recovery was delayed. He said there was a double-dip recession.

Either

(1) he was lying, or
    (2) he doesn't understand what he is saying, or
    (3) he hasn't a clue about economics.

Just wondering which it is.

(4) All of the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

It would still pale in comparison to many European countries who impose excessive taxes on their people. In Ireland the people want to have Nordic levels of public services but without Nordic levels of taxation.

http://economic-incentives.blogspot.ie/2015/02/the-same-rates-of-tax.html

I think this article illustrates the problem very well. Due to the highly progressive nature of Ireland's income tax system, those at the top are paying the same as in many European countries. It is those at lower income levels who are paying less than their fair share.

Advertisement